United States vs. Microsoft Corp.

Captainnumnuts

Literotica Guru
Anyone know anything about it? Not the old cases, the newest one starting w/2016. Very interesting and has something to do w/digital data being being stored in another country. And Big Brother wants to get their hands on it. It's been embarrassing for Microsoft up 'til this point.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft. But in this case, I'm in their corner.

There's a lot of politics behind it all. The Politics Board seemed a logical place to mention this. Surely I'm not the only one ahead of this thing on Lit? Or maybe it's been discussed and dismissed?

I'll throw you guys a bone. It's got something to do w/Microsoft hiding personal, private data in Ireland from the U.S. gov't. And there's more as recently as 2018, but harkens back to before 2010. Also, I think Microsoft's role in it goes back as far as 1984. But now, the U.S. gov't is really pissed about it because Big Brother likes watching our every move behind closed doors.

Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) is a righteous dude.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/united-states-v-microsoft-corp/

USA exerts extraterritoriality over many criminal activities. A US corporation should be strictly regulated within the US, no matter where they operate. If MS wants to avoid this specific scrutiny, they should incorporate in Panama and move away from Seattle, or else disincorporate. US corporations WERE strictly regulated before an absurd and corrupt "corporate-person" ruling.

USA exerts extraterritoriality over many criminal activities. A US corporation should be strictly regulated within the US, no matter where they operate. If MS wants to avoid this specific scrutiny, they should incorporate in Panama and move away from Seattle, or else disincorporate. US corporations WERE strictly regulated before an absurd and corrupt "corporate-person" ruling.

You really should move to a Cuba or N. Korea......degenerate fucking slime bag.

Look around you folks. It's right in your face every time you look at a laptop screen. Every time you turn on the TV, fill out a piece of paper, go to the doctor's office, it's there! Start thinking "Big Brother" and you might learn something that plagues our very existence.

This case could be the singular most important case in modern history.

True that. But this one dates back to 1984 (no pun intended). Microsoft may be mining our data as we speak, but they're also protecting us in an odd sort of way.Google is by far and large the biggest offender.

I'll throw you guys a bone. It's got something to do w/Microsoft hiding personal, private data in Ireland from the U.S. gov't. And there's more as recently as 2018, but harkens back to before 2010. Also, I think Microsoft's role in it goes back as far as 1984. But now, the U.S. gov't is really pissed about it because Big Brother likes watching our every move behind closed doors.

Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) is a righteous dude.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/united-states-v-microsoft-corp/

It's not at all that simple. It has to do with a legal warrant for the production of evidence in a criminal case held by an American corporation. The only thing at issue is the extraterritorial "physical" location of the records specified in the warrant. If the records were stored here in America, there would not be the slightest doubt about the warrant's enforceability.

Historically, physical location of a suspect or evidence was a critical element with respect to any court's jurisdiction. Those lines have long ago been blurred, not by the spying eyes of the government, but by the ubiquitous nature of world-wide communications AND global commerce. To entertain the idea that ALL of an American corporations property and activities taking place outside of the United States places those properties and activities WHOLLY beyond the reach of American law has no more validity than if the corporation would seek to avoid the laws of its host country on the grounds that it was an American corporation.

The fact is, Microsoft has a responsibility to both its country of incorporation and in all of its countries of operation.

Having said that, the case does present a complex issue compelling the development of new law that has Constitutional implications resolvable by the Court and statutory implications resolvable solely by Congress.

Back