The Official Author's Hangout 2014 Halloween Contest Support Thread

I agree with you, but there were two in the summer contest that suggested that readers read another story before reading the contest story. I asked Laurel about it. She said that the rule was put in place to keep authors from submitting multiple entries that were chapters of the same story. As long as what you submit has a beginning, middle, and end, it counts.

If the author feels compelled to ask the reader to read another story first, then I don't think this is a standalone story in the spirit of the contest--and apparently the author doesn't think so either or the reader wouldn't be asked to read something else to put the reader into context. That's just how I would view the story, of course (and rate it accordingly).

I think if you have to read something first then that means the current one would make no sense without it and that to me is a chapter series type of work.

There are 6 themed contests a year and no one is forced to enter any of them so I don't think its too much to ask to come up with something new for a contest.

If the author feels compelled to ask the reader to read another story first, then I don't think this is a standalone story in the spirit of the contest--and apparently the author doesn't think so either or the reader wouldn't be asked to read something else to put the reader into context. That's just how I would view the story, of course (and rate it accordingly).

I agree, which is why I asked Laurel in the first place when I saw them in the summer contest.

Judging by what I have and what I plan on doing....this thing could hit the 40k mark. If this wasn't for a contest I would post this in chapters.

I have a working title, NO GOOD DEED. And I have a simple plot.

Personally, I think linking seems like a loophole as, to my understanding, the primary reasons chartered stories are prohibited is to create a streamlined reading experience that doesn't require readers to come armed with any background information and, also, to keep stories from coming in already armed with a rabid fan base.

A Star Wars sequel is always going to fill
more seats than an indie flick. Since these contest are based on vote percentage, however, even that could be argued.

Way excited to be writing something for this! It'll be my first attempt at entering a contest. I'm going erotic horror, which I've never done before. There will be a descent into madness and eventually a haunting. Poe meets O'Henry (not that I'm putting myself in their league). It'll be an interesting departure for me, hoping it comes off how I intend. And that I can get the story told with a reasonable word count so readers don't go "TL;DR" and bail. The opening scene is right in the middle of sex, though, so I'm hoping that will grab attention. :D I'm only bummed that the title I was in love with is 3 characters too long for the 35 char. limit! Now I have to settle for a 2nd choice. Harrumph.

I just really need to get cracking on it, I finally got a full outline done yesterday, but I only have 2K words or actual narrative. I got interrupted by a pesky little thing called "getting fired" and have had to back-burner this story to look for jobs. This whole stupid "needing a paycheck" thing really gets in the way of writing. But I feel like the outline is the actual hard work and the rest is just filling in the words. Here's to hoping I get it done by 10/1! If I can just write a hair more than a scene a day from now until then I think I can do it!

Question about related material though: this short story is basically the origin story of the villain in another series of mine. However it is meant as a standalone horror story, and it will not be necessary for a reader to have read the other story to get this one or vice versa. In fact I will not even be referencing the other story in this one at all. The two plot lines are 25 years apart and other than the main guy in this one there is no character overlap. In the longer series, the reader hears just about zero back story on the villain and he only shows up sporadically in the plot to make trouble. All they know about him is he's a monster, and I thought it would be interesting to show how a relatively normal guy becomes a sociopath. In this one he's the main POV character. Like you can see The Avengers without having seen Captain America and still get the point of either movie on its own. I feel like this is separate enough to be acceptable, but what say ya'll?

Like you can see The Avengers without having seen Captain America and still get the point of either movie on its own. I feel like this is separate enough to be acceptable, but what say ya'll?

Good analogy. I have only done a few contests myself so far, but it sounds legit to me. Good luck.

And good luck with the job search. I am in the same boat. Bastards let me go in July and I have been humping around, trying to find something else the last few weeks. We'll do it, I am sure. Here's to you landing well!

I am also going to submit a horror story, too, for the Halloween contest, and I'm also pretty new to erotic horror. Mine is already written. It's a version of a story I've already done and posted, but it's different enough to stand on its own, I think (hope!). I have been thinking about adapting it to a longer story based on the movie Drag Me to Hell. If I ever get around to writing another part, it will be a real hoot. :)

Anyhow, good luck again DeathAndTaxes. Your name is familiar to me because another writer I started corresponding with suggested I read one of your stories just last night. I can't wait to check it out.

Question about related material though: this short story is basically the origin story of the villain in another series of mine. However it is meant as a standalone horror story, and it will not be necessary for a reader to have read the other story to get this one or vice versa. In fact I will not even be referencing the other story in this one at all. The two plot lines are 25 years apart and other than the main guy in this one there is no character overlap. In the longer series, the reader hears just about zero back story on the villain and he only shows up sporadically in the plot to make trouble. All they know about him is he's a monster, and I thought it would be interesting to show how a relatively normal guy becomes a sociopath. In this one he's the main POV character. Like you can see The Avengers without having seen Captain America and still get the point of either movie on its own. I feel like this is separate enough to be acceptable, but what say ya'll?

I think that's fine and wouldn't hesitate to enter standalone stories that include characters from other standalone stories (and would give extra rating weight to a story that was one of multiple standalone stories that, nevertheless, provided additional insights from a storyline arching over them all).

Seeing SWB ended with the main character working for the DA's office in Chicago-and this story takes place there-I'm going to bring him in for a chapter to sit in on the detectives discussion of the killer.

He isn't the main character and has no effect on the outcome of the story, just thought it would be fun to revisit him.

Think my readers will enjoy it as well. I finished SWB three years ago next month and still get e-mails asking if I'm ever going to bring them back.

Decided to post my Halloween story under an alt, to keep the vermin off it.

Decided to post my Halloween story under an alt, to keep the vermin off it.

Then you shouldn't have posted you were doing it. Now they will be all over anyone new.

That's why I don't write under alts. They want me they can come get me.

Aw, dammit. I didn't realize the contest started so early. Or, I didn't realize what day it was, or that September is almost over.

Luckily, I'm dusting off my most recent FAWC story, so I do have a good start. I just need a middle and an end.

If I can fight through the Vicodin haze, maybe I can get get started in the next couple of days. If I'm going to be stuck in bed recovering anyway, I may as well be useful ...

Perhaps the story will be helped by the Vicodin haze? ;)

Aw, dammit. I didn't realize the contest started so early. Or, I didn't realize what day it was, or that September is almost over.

Luckily, I'm dusting off my most recent FAWC story, so I do have a good start. I just need a middle and an end.

If I can fight through the Vicodin haze, maybe I can get get started in the next couple of days. If I'm going to be stuck in bed recovering anyway, I may as well be useful ...

Perhaps the story will be helped by the Vicodin haze? ;)

Glad you're on the other side of the surgery. I hope it helps.

I woke up at four am and had to go downstairs and start writing.

Way back in High School my creative writing teacher brought in a guy named Jon Land who had written a couple of terrorist type novels. One of the things he said was when a story really wants to be written its like a fire inside you and if you don't get it out, it will burn you up.

This one is starting to consume me, good news for me, bad news for anyone reading it. :eek:

I've officially reached who cares mode on what I put here and this is the one I've wanted to try my hand at for quite awhile.

My baby, my way.

Way back in High School my creative writing teacher brought in a guy named Jon Land who had written a couple of terrorist type novels. One of the things he said was when a story really wants to be written its like a fire inside you and if you don't get it out, it will burn you up.
I feel like several storylines inside me are playing with matches but haven't yet set the trash pile alight. I need kerosene.

I feel like several storylines inside me are playing with matches but haven't yet set the trash pile alight. I need kerosene.

Its like the three stooges. They are trying to get out the door all at the same time.

Can you hear them, "Woo woo woo!"

I have an idea. A cliched idea, but an idea nonetheless. Having finally kicked my recent bout of writer's block, I'll be glad just to participate.

I have an idea. A cliched idea, but an idea nonetheless. Having finally kicked my recent bout of writer's block, I'll be glad just to participate.
Cliches work when suitably twisted.

After I finish editing another's unique Hallowe'en novella, I get to work on my four (so far) contest stories, hopefully with only a modicum of cliches. Three might be ~1.5k words each and will be bundled into one jagged trio submission; the fourth might be ~8k words, and might be the seed of a cycle of same-players tales. Each has their own roadblocks (though the first of the trio is almost done).

Yes, each storyline is cliched. Most stories here depend on cliches, stereotypes, and sex-fantasy conventions, which help us advance action without wasting words. Twisting those cliches allows us authors to fuck with readers' heads. Fun fun fun.

Cliches work when subtly twisted over a long period of time and space.

Strang' theory anyone? :cool:

Shit. 10 days until the contest starts and I'm absolutely stumped.

Try something new. A costume mixup at a party and/or a plain old costumed sex party... no, that's been done. Maybe GF's body is taken over by the ghost of her wanton grandmother. Or a demon crashes a human party and is outclassed sexually by a BBC. Or a Jack-o-lantern comes to life and squishily molests passers-by. Or a wicked witch's evil attitude is transformed by something-or-other. Or maybe something sexily Lovecraftian happens. C'mon, you can do it!

I'm doing Hallow's Eve in Jamaica for one of mine. I hope that isn't an oft-used theme.

My latest attempt has been inspired by an Opera - a Polish Opera...

Back