Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the "card shark".

He didn't believe in letting his children win at card games. He thought they should compete in the real world and achieve if they could.

Apart from that, he had learned some really dubious card play when doing National Service in the Royal Navy. I would never play cards with him for money. :D

But he wouldn't play cards for money with his children either. :rolleyes:
 
He didn't believe in letting his children win at card games. He thought they should compete in the real world and achieve if they could.

Apart from that, he had learned some really dubious card play when doing National Service in the Royal Navy. I would never play cards with him for money. :D

But he wouldn't play cards for money with his children either. :rolleyes:

Competition is good, the real world isn't easy.
 
A friend announced she's pregnant today. I'm happy for her and yet it reawakened that sadness that I had buried. Trying to funnel the emotions into my writing so it's at least useful.
 
A friend announced she's pregnant today. I'm happy for her and yet it reawakened that sadness that I had buried. Trying to funnel the emotions into my writing so it's at least useful.

That's understandable, your own pain is blocking your complete happiness for her. I can relate to this, but not on the same scale. Hopefully you'll become stronger with the passage of time.
 
My first 'day off' in over two weeks! I lounged about chatting on here in my pyjamas, then I suddenly got a text from Piglet to say she had fallen over in the mud and needed clean clothes. I hurriedly washed and put on a houndstooth skirt (every important teacher will of course see you if you just rush to the school in pyjamas). I ironed trousers and a jumper and ran out to get my bike. The back tyre was flat AGAIN! :mad: In a moment of insane optimism I tried the car - no, the battery is still flat OF COURSE! :mad:

Well, it was a good walk (at least it's not raining) and my friend rang while I was coming back to b!tch about her disgusting ex-husband. I cheered her up. "Your best revenge is that he no longer has you," I pointed out. "Even his own family said he was an eejit to leave you. Now he has to try to pretend you are the evil queen of evil on Facebook to hide that he is the bigges eejit on the planet."
 
I love writing Sci/fi. Aliens are so much fun to write. No one can tell me that aliens don't do things like that. They're my aliens and they can have two dicks and a trick tongue if i say they can. :D
 
Merry Christmas, all!

(A little early, I know, but I may not be back in here before then)
 


What's the point of being prudent and exercising judgment if every time markets blow up, the Federal Reserve is going to bail out everybody who wasn't prudent?


 


What's the point of being prudent and exercising judgment if every time markets blow up, the Federal Reserve is going to bail out everybody who wasn't prudent?


A very valid point.
O'course, it depends upon who holds a lot of the shares. . . .
 


"In The Heart Of The Sea"


I'm amazed that anybody even tried to make a film of this. It's not possible; it can't be done.

Having been aware of the sinking of the Essex from earliest childhood, I was astonished that Philbrick's book became a best seller. In similar fashion, I was astounded that Ken Burns' Civil War series was a popular and commercial success. I already knew all that stuff and naively assumed that any properly educated person was also thoroughly acquainted with the subject.

The clumsy (and predictably Hollywoodish) attempt to introduce a profit-motivated "cover up" was idiotic. The botched effort to somehow link the film's fictitious 1850 Melville visit to Nantucket with the 1859 Drake well was pure Hollywood stupidity writ large.

Like the magnificent failure of the Michael Shaara-inspired film Gettysburg, this film was nevertheless a valiant try at an impossible task.

The sailing and nautical segments with their attendant computer-generated special effects are not bad. Sailors will enjoy those segments— though the idea of anyone deliberately flying stuns'ls into the face of an obvious squall stretches credulity so far that only Hollywood could possibly conceive of it.



 



mainnew_yellow1.jpg



 


This year's winter solstice doesn't occur 'til 22 December at 0448 GMT.

Solstice: either of the two points on the ecliptic at which the apparent longitude of the Sun is 90° or 270°; also the time at which the Sun is at either point.


Each year, at the end of summer, we resign ourselves to shortening days and do our best to ignore the inevitably later sunrises and earlier sunsets 'til, mirabile dictu, the arrival of the solstice.

It's almost here.

Rejoice! For the next six months, you can look forward to longer and longer days.




 
Granddaughter's discovery of the day:

Her grandfather's foot is a foot long.

(Actually more than 12 inches, but near enough.)

She doesn't do feet and inches. Everything at school is in metric measurements, so finding that a 30cm ruler is a foot long, and her grandfather's foot is too - is a discovery.
 
Granddaughter's discovery of the day:

Her grandfather's foot is a foot long.

(Actually more than 12 inches, but near enough.)

She doesn't do feet and inches. Everything at school is in metric measurements, so finding that a 30cm ruler is a foot long, and her grandfather's foot is too - is a discovery.

Oh go on, Ogg,
Teach her the real measurements.

This metric stuff has a beneficial place, but there's no substitute for a proper foot, yard or mile.
 
Oh go on, Ogg,
Teach her the real measurements.

This metric stuff has a beneficial place, but there's no substitute for a proper foot, yard or mile.

Or Rods, Poles, Perches and Bushels.

Blurt: I've just spent an hour or so looking for a data CD I was sure I had put in a Box File. I have looked at every Box File in the house, including the empty ones.

The CD was in a folder in plain view.:eek:
 
OK, my present from my parents has arrived.

They have taken an old Fortnum & Mason picnic hamper they were given a couple of years ago and filled it with cheap supermarket mince pies, biscuits and some cheese which has been travelling in the parcel just wrapped in tin foil for about five days so is quite smelly now. For reasons which are not very clear to me, there is also a pretty red biscuit tin which they have sent to me after eating all the biscuits that were in it. They live in Scotland so you might hope they would send me a bottle of whisky. There is a wrapped parcel which looks like a bottle but I greatly fear it's going to be a blend, certainly not a single cask.

I sent them two exceptional Riojas, a fine Chablis and a nice dessert wine from my local independent wine merchants. :( And a special box of marrons glacés for my mother.

Maybe next year I can suggest we save postage by just keeping the present we have bought the other party. Knowing their ways, I did ask for money - the amount of postage on their parcel was probably more worth having than the contents but I suppose they will call me 'ungrateful' if I point this out :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top