The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween 2015 Contest Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only new rule I'm aware of is:

No personal attacks or trolling. Heated discussions are fine, even welcome. However, personally attacking a fellow author or reader personally is not allowed within the Author's Hangout.

A previous contest rule change was to disallow a single chapter as a contest entry.

Ah, yeah. That must be it. Hopefully my days of personal attacks are long gone, so it barely raised a blip on my radar. I can be a troll, however. I'll have to watch. :p

Oh, ow. Mean little thing aren't you?

Now about that muzzle...I wonder if they make just for men in canine? :D

Mean? Sometimes. Average? Never.

A little grey in the muzzle is a good thing. Like a silverback gorilla.

[Arguing amongst participants, off-topic negativity, and questioning the legitimacy of the contest/contestants will no longer be tolerated in the contest support threads. Such discussion should take place elsewhere, keeping in mind the forum rules.]

Last edited by a moderator:
giphy.gif

[Arguing amongst participants, off-topic negativity, and questioning the legitimacy of the contest/contestants will no longer be tolerated in the contest support threads. Such discussion should take place elsewhere, keeping in mind the forum rules.]

Appropriate to this, I think, my own Halloween story, the GM vampire "Ever Rest at Evernew," posted to Lit. today (my 800th entry from this account, incidentally) and is rating 4.0 (out of 5.0) here and 9.8 (out of 10.0, with twice the votes) at Gaydemon.

Appropriate to this, I think, my own Halloween story, the GM vampire "Ever Rest at Evernew," posted to Lit. today (my 800th entry from this account, incidentally) and is rating 4.0 (out of 5.0) here and 9.8 (out of 10.0, with twice the votes) at Gaydemon.

Congrats, that's a lot of writing.:eek:

Congrats on 800.

As for the score being better on the other site, something tells me GM is better received on a site called 'gaydemon' than it would be here, probably less homophobe bashers

Congrats on 800.

As for the score being better on the other site, something tells me GM is better received on a site called 'gaydemon' than it would be here, probably less homophobe bashers

Other GM writers here--ones never appearing on the forum--get very high ratings.

Congratulations! :rose:

I wonder how many orgasms you've orchestrated off the page. With a few hundred readers per story, you must be heading for a million happy endings. That's what I call a public service!

I wonder how many orgasms you've orchestrated off the page. With a few hundred readers per story, you must be heading for a million happy endings. That's what I call a public service!

Congratulations, Pilot!! And yes, thanks for that too. ;)

Oh, you mean other than my own while I'm writing the stories(?) :D

Hope for Contest Virgins (or near virgins)

Lit's contests are GREAT for gaining extra eyeballs on your story. Never underestimate the extra attention you'll get by having your story listed on an extra link, the Contest Story Link.

Your carefully crafted work of art will almost always receive the most views while it's still on the "New" list for your category. A lot of readers visit for a quick fix and click on the first thing they see. Speaking of which, here's a neat little feature of the Contest Story list: Did you know the list re-orders itself on a regular basis? That way, no one can complain about their story being last on the list. It changes.

I firmly believe the vast majority of your votes will come from the general reading public, people who have no idea a forum exists, or by people who aren't interested in reading the AH (Author's Hangout). Lit is a bigger site than many realize.

Are some authors attacked? Sometimes. It's why there is a sweep system (purposely designed to be Machiavellian to avoid gamesmanship). Is it a perfect system? Surely not.

Still, nothing counts more than earning lots of views and votes. Category can impact that. But does the skill of your writing. Hitting the sweet spot with a well-crafted story that presses the buttons of people who enjoy that category will have a much greater impact on your score than any of the cry-babies around here.

Write. Learn to write well. Write first to please your Muse. And share, otherwise you're just masturbating. :)

Disclaimer: I don't have a story in this contest. I wanted to, but life conspired against me.

Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back