What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have footers blocked for a reason. Your posts have footer-like content in them for a reason. That's great, but as soon as I see them, I skip them.
 
The truth of the matter after all of Mercury's baloney is said and done:

This Is the “Obama Depression”

http://cr4re.com/charts/charts.html#category=Employment&chart=EmployRecessAlignedJune2011.jpg

The graph shows the job losses from the start of the employment recession, in percentage terms aligned at maximum job losses. The dotted line is ex-Census hiring.

The current employment recession is by far the worst recession since WWII in percentage terms, and 2nd worst in terms of the unemployment rate (only the early '80s recession with a peak of 10.8 percent was worse).

This was very weak and well below expectations for payroll jobs, and the unemployment rate was higher than expected. A terrible report.


Newt Gingrich:

“At 9.2 percent now for month after month after month, this is the Obama depression. Housing prices have dropped deeper than in the great depression and it’s very clear that under Obama’s job killing policies, we’re not going to get out of this deep unemployment.”

The former speaker of the House praised Speaker John Boehner for making the decision that Republicans will not stand for tax increases.

“Republicans are correct to say first of all, no tax increase period. John Boehner was right. He deserves credit for recognizing that the right position for conservatives is no tax increase. Second, they ought to get the biggest spending cut deal they can by taking what Vice President Biden put on the table. I think the largest deal possible with no tax increases is fine.”

“Republicans should reject the establishment’s demand for a tax increase. There is plenty of money to be saved from a bloated government without giving Washington one penny of higher taxes.”
 
Sorry MeeMie, those aren't facts in that graph, they are the lies and distortions of an obvious rw-blog...

The CR Gallery is a collection of current graphs from the economics blog Calculated Risk.

About Calculated Risk

• Calculated Risk: Real name: Bill McBride (author since Jan 2005)

A full time blogger, Mr. McBride retired as a senior executive from a small public company in the '90s. Mr. McBride holds an MBA from the University of California, Irvine, and has a background in management, finance and economics.

• Tanta: Real name: Doris Dungey (contributor from Dec 2006 through November 2008). Tanta passed away on November 30, 2008. Please see: Tanta: In Memoriam and from the NY Times Doris Dungey, Prescient Finance Blogger, Dies at 47.

Nice comments about the blog:

1) Time.com 25 Best Financial Blogs, March 2011

“If you only follow one economics blog, it has to be Calculated Risk, run by Bill McBride. The site provides concise and very accessible summaries of all the key economic data and developments. One of the reasons McBride is able to do this so well is that he has an almost uncanny knack of recognizing which facts really matter. He began the blog in 2005 because he saw a disaster brewing in the form of the housing bubble, and tried his best to warn the rest of us of what was coming. I've followed him closely ever since, and I don't know if he's ever been wrong. My advice is, if you've come up with a different conclusion from McBride on how economic developments are going to unfold, you'd be wise to think it over again!”
Professor James Hamilton, Economics, University of California, San Diego

2) By John Carney Senior Editor, CNBC.com

"It’s very clear to me that this fact of the extension of unemployment benefits is widely misunderstood—and would have remained widely misunderstood if not for the meticulous and clarifying genius of Calculated Risk."

3) By Alen Mattich at the WSJ: The Best Economics Blogs

"Calculated Risk, produced by Bill McBride, is more focused on U.S. economic developments, particularly in the real-estate market. But investment banking research rarely gets to the nub of the issue as quickly or pithily as McBride following data releases and market developments. If you’re following U.S. macro trends, it’s a blog that demands frequent visits."

4) By David Weidner at the WSJ: Ten Wall Street Blogs You Need To Bookmark Now

5) Nobel economist Paul Krugman in the NY Times:
"Calculatedrisk, my go-to site on housing matters."

6) "y far the broadest, deepest, and smartest coverage of the subprme crisis and housing meltdown comes not from any newspaper but rather from the blog Calculated Risk."
Felix Salmon, Condé Nast (now at Reuters)

7) "Calculated Risk, ... posts not only offer running commentary on the news but also break down the economics of the mortgage game. ... Some of the commentary can be a slog, but no other site offers this level of analysis."
Business Week

8) Recent mention in the NY Times:

"Consider this chart from the Calculated Risk blog (and revisit it regularly). As the picture shows so vividly, we are still waiting for employment to turn back up decisively. Compared with previous recessions, the delay is simply stunning."

9) More recent mentions in the WSJ (just excerpts from my blog):
Here and here.
...

For Tanta's media perspective, please see: Media Inquiries Policy.

(He's just looking for "hits...")




... all the independent blogs say we were "saved" from a Great Depression.

They don't touch upon Lost Decade though...
 
I could give a shit. Stick to the subject.
First, you mean you couldn't give a shit.

Second, if that were true, you'd have a dumb footer here, instead of leaving it off this one time, after I said that your dumb footers are dumb.

Third of all, you seem confused about the fact that I was commenting about the subject when you responded. Are you upset that I mentioned your dumb footers? Stick to the subject!
 
Sonny, grow up, go to the Constitution thread, put on your big boy pants and answer my question to you.
What does a totally different thread have to do with the subject at hand? Or Is sticking to the subject only important when you are being made fun of?
 
Last edited:
What does a totally different thread have to do with the subject at hand? Or Is sticking to the subject only important when you are being made fun of?

At what point in this conversation did you ever address the subject?

Your first post was about my siglines and nothing else.

Now, go over and answer the question.
__________________
Barry Says: You have that one nailed A_J!
obama-wide-grin80.jpg
 
At what point in this conversation did you ever address the subject?

Your first post was about my siglines and nothing else.

Now, go over and answer the question.
I hesitate to ask this, but you're aware that you were responding to a post I made earlier when you weighed in, right? And that that post was directly about the subject, right? And that you even quoted it, right?

Right???
 
You only addressed the "footers."

Now be a big boy and go answer the question...

__________________
"In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists."
Eric Hoffer
 
Merc's contention is that demand drives an economy and guess what, as I posted earlier yesterday, the government is demanding through coercion that banks make bad loans on homes...




Again! Look out for good times, a regular roaring 20's!

__________________
What class does not solicit the favors of the state? It would seem as if the principle of life resided in it. Aside from the innumerable horde of its own agents, agriculture, manufacturing, commerce, the arts, the theatre, the colonies, and the shipping industry expect everything from it. They want it to clear and irrigate land, to colonize, to teach, and even to amuse. Each begs a bounty, a subsidy, an incentive, and especially the gratuitous gift of certain services, such as education and credit. And why not ask the state for the gratuitous gift of all services? Why not require the state to provide all the citizens with food, drink, clothing, and shelter free of charge?

... under the name of the state the citizens taken collectively are considered as a real being, having its own life, its own wealth, independently of the lives and the wealth of the citizens themselves; and then each addresses this fictitious being, some to obtain from it education, others employment, others credit, others food, etc., etc. Now the state can give nothing to the citizens that it has not first taken from them.
Frédéric Bastiat

I have footers blocked for a reason. Your posts have footer-like content in them for a reason. That's great, but as soon as I see them, I skip them.

:rolleyes:
 
yeah but don't forget a C is a pass...
I don't know how to define an actual against a theoretical. We probably averted a deepening crisis, but in playing prevent defense, I think we also forgot to plan for the win.

The economy is to Obama what Iraq was to Bush: we planned not to lose, but we didn't plan to win. Lest we forget, Bush won in 2004; not losing counts for something. But I think the administration has copped out on going for the win.
 
It's an easy question. Your position is that my first post in this thread was in response to you, is that right?

I'm not asking if I made fun of your stupid fake footers; I did. I want to know if your assertion is that doing so was my only response in this thread.

Because you claim it was.

Was it?
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry. I see you have a footer, so from now on out, I'll be skipping your posts.




You're not even man enough to answer a simple, honest question...
 
All Bush and Obama did was protect the people who created the problems, and hurt the people who pay for the folly.
 
All Bush and Obama did was protect the people who created the problems, and hurt the people who pay for the folly.

Compassionate Conservatism and Change We Can Believe In!


If what TIMMAH! says is true, we're not much going to like the change...


But Obama thinks America is done pretty much as an economic power. Musta been the ATMs...

The US economy for a long period of time was the engine of world economic growth. We were sucking in imports from all across the world financed by huge amounts of consumer debt. Because of the financial crisis, but also because that debt was fundamentally unsustainable, the United States is not going to be able to serve in that same capacity to that same extent.
Barack Hussein Obama

Then he went and submitted a budget with unsustainable debt (as confessed to by TIMMAH! before Congress), so, it must be a purposeful move on his part.
 
It makes exactly no sense. You appear to be saying that the backlog of homes is causing employment difficulties. You do realize that the opposite is true, correct? That if people can't find jobs, they can't buy homes...right?

Yes, building houses puts people to work. But you have supply and demand mixed up, and you greatly overestimate the proportion of the work force that is employed by the housing industry. Further, you're confusing future homes--i.e., those yet to be built--with existing homes yet to be bought.

What propotion of the 9.2% unemployed would you say normally work in fields related to homebuilding?

you are exactly correct

only you said better than I did
 
Im gonna AXE again
Can anyone link this for me

and show me if its true?

Cause I doubt that it is

Especially the more recent writings

cause all ive seen is that it made it worse

Originally Posted by mercury14

Nope, straight from the Fed (which AJ quoted), Moody's, CBO, Global Insight, and Macroeconomic Advisors. ?

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top