Reading Books For Pleasure

I read books again all the time. Comforting.

Also, I like actual books. With pages. Made of dead trees.
Don't tell my Kindle.

I love Stephen King. I hated Buick 8.

What I love:

On Writing
It
The Stand
Rose Madder
All of his short stories, especially the novella Apt Pupil.
11/23/63
Duma Key

He has a common speak I love. He does not shy away from the grotesque, even to the point of juvenile. I can deal with that. He is the verbal masturbator when it comes to descriptive sentences, but I prefer that to dialogue- just my style.
His foreplay is great, his money shot, not so much.

I'm with you on most of what you say. Wasn't crazy about Buick 8 either. Big Stephen King fan. Reading 11/22/63 now. I've liked it from the start. I also think his short stories are his best stuff.

I'm with you on most of what you say. Wasn't crazy about Buick 8 either. Big Stephen King fan. Reading 11/22/63 now. I've liked it from the start. I also think his short stories are his best stuff.

Me too. His editor works double time on those.
Have you read On Writing?

I have read On Writing. It was good, although a bit technical at times. But for the aspiring writer that is probably a welcome thing. The book of his I'm trying to find is called "Secret Windows." It's also about writing.

I have read On Writing. It was good, although a bit technical at times. But for the aspiring writer that is probably a welcome thing. The book of his I'm trying to find is called "Secret Windows." It's also about writing.

I've never even heard of that.
Why can't you "find" it?

I've never even heard of that.
Why can't you "find" it?

Ha, well I could order it. I just have other books I want to read first, plus I sort of like the adventure of looking for it in a used bookstore. I think it was only published in paperback. It's hard to find now that it's about 15 years old. In the process of getting totally caught up on my King.

I finally started reading Matter by Ian M Banks.
I still haven't finished Use of Weapons so I'm probably going to get mixed up.

I read books again all the time. Comforting.

Also, I like actual books. With pages. Made of dead trees.
Don't tell my Kindle.

Couldn't agree more. I've read most of the books I have multiple times, and much prefer an actual book to a digital copy. Although, when a new book is released, often times I download it, because it takes 10 seconds and I can do it from home. I do usually end up buying another physical copy to go on the shelf with the rest.

Ha, well I could order it. I just have other books I want to read first, plus I sort of like the adventure of looking for it in a used bookstore. I think it was only published in paperback. It's hard to find now that it's about 15 years old. In the process of getting totally caught up on my King.

Book stores. Yea, I miss those. :(

Couldn't agree more. I've read most of the books I have multiple times, and much prefer an actual book to a digital copy. Although, when a new book is released, often times I download it, because it takes 10 seconds and I can do it from home. I do usually end up buying another physical copy to go on the shelf with the rest.

Yea, it's so easy with the Kindle. Especially with all those BOOKS YOU MAY ENJOY stuff. I am loading up on Palahniuk right now on Kindle. He's so sick and twisted.

Certain books I MUST own. Like LOTR. Harry Potter. GOT. Gone With The Wind. The Virgin Suicides. A Prayer for Owen Meany, Catch22, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal...
All stuff I will read again and again.
I also love the smell of books.

Yea, it's so easy with the Kindle. Especially with all those BOOKS YOU MAY ENJOY stuff. I am loading up on Palahniuk right now on Kindle. He's so sick and twisted.

Certain books I MUST own. Like LOTR. Harry Potter. GOT. Gone With The Wind. The Virgin Suicides. A Prayer for Owen Meany, Catch22, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal...

I prefer books too for a lot of reasons. But reading on my Kindle is still fun for me.
And yes, I must own some books as well. Mainly King.

Books have many advantages over a Kindle. Most of which you have pointed out. Another reason I like them is that if I'm traveling and lose a book, I'm not out much. But if I lose a Kindle, that's a different story. And a book never stops working because the battery is dead.

Books do have a certain smell to them, it's very...comforting, somehow.

I got the GOT collection over a year ago now, but have only read one...they're so bloody long!

Books have many advantages over a Kindle. Most of which you have pointed out. Another reason I like them is that if I'm traveling and lose a book, I'm not out much. But if I lose a Kindle, that's a different story. And a book never stops working because the battery is dead.

I got the GOT collection over a year ago now, but have only read one...they're so bloody long!

I'm stuck on A Feast For Crows, where it deviates from the show. I cannot get into it.

Also, I always have a book or 2 "on deck". If I don't know what I'm reading next, I tend to get a little nervous. For real.

Nothing like the smell of a book...

I'm stuck on A Feast For Crows, where it deviates from the show. I cannot get into it.

Also, I always have a book or 2 "on deck". If I don't know what I'm reading next, I tend to get a little nervous. For real.

I started the second one, but just wasn't feeling it. Sometimes, that happens with me. Then I'll go back and try reading it again and often times I'll be able to get into it. Kinda weird, but whatever works.

I've heard stories about A Feast For Crows. One guy said the same thing, eventually he just jumped around to the characters that really interested him.

I know what you mean about not having another book lined up. Sometimes I don't do it, and I want to read something. So, I go to the bookshelf and have a far too intense moment trying to decide what to read next. It's hell on my nerves, you'd think I'd learn not to do it after a time or two.

I started the second one, but just wasn't feeling it. Sometimes, that happens with me. Then I'll go back and try reading it again and often times I'll be able to get into it. Kinda weird, but whatever works.

I've heard stories about A Feast For Crows. One guy said the same thing, eventually he just jumped around to the characters that really interested him.

I know what you mean about not having another book lined up. Sometimes I don't do it, and I want to read something. So, I go to the bookshelf and have a far too intense moment trying to decide what to read next. It's hell on my nerves, you'd think I'd learn not to do it after a time or two.

Hahahahah! Intense moment. Yes.
Me too. Because it has to be exactly right.

Not a problem around my house... I have at least a shelf's worth of books that await being picked up and read. Still, I add to it, and it never feels like it will run out. Then there's the non-fiction books...

Presently, I'm reading Hans Fallada's novel "Little man, What Now?" from 1932, which tells the tale of a young, poor couple in Berlin just before Hitler's rise to power. They worry about every Pfennig, trying to survive unemployment. Having a baby doesn't help... Despite being written over 80 years ago, it should resonate with people living on minimum wage.

Last edited:
I love a good book hate reading on the iPad love the smell of books ( strange I know lol)

At the moment I'm reading Sylvia Day Crossfire Series.. I'm just finishing captivated By You. I've got to say I love the series looking forward to the last book!!

Can anyone recommend any more books like this?

G x

Back