Activists, Executives Tell Texas Senate to Ditch Bathroom Bill

adrina

Heretic
Source

Transgender activists and business leaders urged a Texas Senate panel on Friday to scrap legislation that would limit bathroom access for transgender people, saying it was a discriminatory measure that would hurt the state's economy. More than 250 civil rights activists, executives and others registered to speak to the Republican-dominated Senate as it began consideration of the measure, the most closely watched item on the state's agenda during a 30-day special session.

Ashley Smith, a transgender woman and San Antonio architect, said transgender women suffer more violence than the general public, and a bathroom bill would make her more fearful. "Can’t you see how this legislation would make the very real problem of assault even worse?" she asked members of the Senate Committee on State Affairs.

Talk of the bathroom bill has already led to about $66 million in lost convention business, convention officials from Texas' top cities told the committee. If the measure is enacted, the state could lose about $1.4 billion from lost conventions, sports contests and other events, they said.

During the regular session that ended in May, the Texas Senate easily passed such a measure. But it died in the state's House of Representatives under pressure from pro-business Republicans. Political analysts expect a similar pattern for the special session.

Money talks, bullshit walks. Even if it is about the money, it still comes out to the right action. Sounds like Texas may learn from NC's mistake.

Maybe, but don't hold your breath. It is, after all, the land of Perry.

Fair point, but it's also the land of giant football stadiums. I wonder how the people of Texas would react to never having an NCAA championship or Super Bowl in their state again.

Our Senate had better vote the will of the people or find another fucking job.

Screw the "Activists, Executives" and such .

They are NOT running Texas. People may have noticed that Texans do not like be told what to do or not to do.

As for the people of indeterminate final sex go where you are dressed as.

That is what the hermaphrodites have done for well, who knows how long?

See problem solved.:rolleyes:

That's not the text of the bill.

The main measure under consideration is Senate Bill 3, which says certain restrooms, showers and changing facilities in places such as public schools "must be designated for and used only by persons of the same sex as stated on a person's birth certificate."

Tyranny of the majority refers to an inherent weakness of direct democracy and majority rule in which the majority of an electorate can place its own interests above, and at the expense of, those in the minority. This results in oppression of minority groups comparable to that of a tyrant or despot.

Fair point, but it's also the land of giant football stadiums. I wonder how the people of Texas would react to never having an NCAA championship or Super Bowl in their state again.

Texas is one of if not their largest market.

Dixi Chicks didn't fair very well when they shit all over their fans.

Do you think the sports leagues could handle loosing Texas?

Tyranny of the majority refers to an inherent weakness of direct democracy and majority rule

It's an inherent weakness of all democracy.

in which the majority of an electorate can place its own interests above, and at the expense of, those in the minority. This results in oppression of minority groups comparable to that of a tyrant or despot.

That can and has happened under any sort of rule.

That's not the text of the bill.

Unless it's tattooed on their chest, who going to know?

What we going do to... hire bathroom police?

More much to do about nothing.

Our Senate had better vote the will of the people or find another fucking job.

Screw the "Activists, Executives" and such .

They are NOT running Texas. People may have noticed that Texans do not like be told what to do or not to do.

And this law would be telling Texans what to do.

Texas is one of if not their largest market.

Dixi Chicks didn't fair very well when they shit all over their fans.

Do you think the sports leagues could handle loosing Texas?

It's an inherent weakness of all democracy.

That can and has happened under any sort of rule.

Texas would not be losing the league. Texas would be losing championship games and the revenue they produce.

Unless it's tattooed on their chest, who going to know?

What we going do to... hire bathroom police?

More much to do about nothing.

So you are apathetic about a law that is essentially unenforceable or only enforceable to embarrassing outcomes, and would very potentially cost the state of Texas large swaths of revenue even though it doesn't do what you said it did (bathroom to appearance) and tells Texans what to do?

I'm finding your response a bit confusing.

Texas would not be losing the league.

They could tell it to get fucked and or boycot it.

Texas would be losing championship games and the revenue they produce.

That is a 2 way street.

Let the NFL/NBA/NHL NASCAR flame Texas for not being pro trans and see what happens. Just like country singers calling them a bunch of dumb hicks, that shit is going to hurt them where it matters most.

Abandonment of rationality: when, as Tocqueville remembered, a decision "which bases its claim to rule upon numbers, not upon rightness or excellence". The use of public consultation, technical consulting bodies, and other similar mechanisms help to improve rationality of decisions before voting on them. Judicial review (e.g. declaration of nullity of the decision) is the typical way after the vote.

Ayn Rand wrote that individual rights are not subject to a public vote, and that the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and "the smallest minority on earth is the individual".

Regarding recent American politics (specifically initiatives), Donovan et al. argue that:

One of the original concerns about direct democracy is the potential it has to allow a majority of voters to trample the rights of minorities. Many still worry that the process can be used to harm gays and lesbians as well as ethnic, linguistic, and religious minorities. ... Recent scholarly research shows that the initiative process is sometimes prone to produce laws that disadvantage relatively powerless minorities ... State and local ballot initiatives have been used to undo policies – such as school desegregation, protections against job and housing discrimination, and affirmative action – that minorities have secured from legislatures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

They could tell it to get fucked and or boycot it.

LOL!!!

That is a 2 way street.

Let the NFL/NBA/NHL NASCAR flame Texas for not being pro trans and see what happens. Just like country singers calling them a bunch of dumb hicks, that shit is going to hurt them where it matters most.

LOL!!!!!

Please tell me exactly what will happen. Do you really think people are going to stop going to or watching Cowboys' games, or UT games? And if by some miracle they do, that only hurts Texas.

So you are apathetic about a law that is essentially unenforceable or only enforceable to embarrassing outcomes, and would very potentially cost the state of Texas large swaths of revenue even though it doesn't do what you said it did (bathroom to appearance) and tells Texans what to do?

I'm finding your response a bit confusing.

Well.

I will break it down.

Every person has to piss and take a dump. Sometimes, several times a day.

Making laws and restrictions will not change that fact. Even the most fundamentalist right wing idiot that ever walked the earth know that.

Most people who want the laws are worried about pedophiles and predators.

With good reason I might add we had a couple of incidents here at out local Target already.

Amend the proposal to make it illegal for anyone to enter one of the aforementioned places with criminal intend in mind and most of the opposition will go away. Otherwise yes...there WILL be trouble.

Many people are armed here and if they think someone is even thinking of harming their kids...or someone else's. God help them if they catch them in the act.

This is a solution in search of a problem.

Virtually nobody in Texas wants the "potty police" bill.

This is simply grandstanding by the Texas legislature and the homophobic governor Greg Abbott, red meat to those knuckledraggers who want to keep "them that ain't like us" in their place.

Well.

I will break it down.

Making laws and restrictions will not change that fact. Even the most fundamentalist right wing idiot that ever walked the earth know that.

With good reason I might add we had a couple of incidents here at out local Target already.

Amend the proposal to make it illegal for anyone to enter one of the aforementioned places with criminal intend in mind and most of the opposition will go away. Otherwise yes...there WILL be trouble.

Many people are armed here and if they think someone is even thinking of harming their kids...or someone else's. God help them if they catch them in the act.

Any parent that caught a guy in the ladies room molesting their wife or daughter should be able to reconfigure the guy so he can legally use the ladies room from that day forward, without prejudice.

Well.

I will break it down.

I imagine that part is already illegal in Texas.

This is a solution in search of a problem.

Virtually nobody in Texas wants the "potty police" bill.

This is simply grandstanding by the Texas legislature and the homophobic governor Greg Abbott, red meat to those knuckledraggers who want to keep "them that ain't like us" in their place.

Don't forget Lt. Gov Dan Patrick. He's really the one pushing it.

Laugh all you want, changes nothing.
Agreed, what you said is still hilarious.

They quit buying Dixi Chicks albums. ;)
Becuase the Dixie Chicks = Dallas Cowboys. Because someone built a monsterous stadium out in Arlington just for Dixie Chick concerts.

Now THAT is funny.

Everything you've said in this thread has been a hoot.
No it doesn't. That hurt will go well beyond the borders of Texas.

They'll just move championship games to other places who will make lots of money off them. If the people in Texas stop supporting pro teams they'll move to other places too.

Becuase the Dixie Chicks = Dallas Cowboys.

Entertainers are entertainers.....they essentially sell the same fucking thing.

Shit all over your fans and you're likely to feel it in the bottom line.

If the people in Texas stop supporting pro teams they'll move to other places too.

Right.

And loosing one of if not their single largest markets would fuckin' hurt far beyond the borders of Texas, the money exchange is a 2 way street.

The only hoot is that you think otherwise.

Last edited:
Any parent that caught a guy in the ladies room molesting their wife or daughter should be able to reconfigure the guy so he can legally use the ladies room from that day forward, without prejudice.

I would agree 100% with that, but I also remember when I was a teenager. I never entered the girls' locker room, because it was strictly forbidden but, if I could have gotten away with it, I would have done so just to scope them out. It would have been wrong, but I would have done it anyhow. I expect there are many men and boys now who would do that same thing and claim to actually be girls.

I have nothing against ay LGBT or whatever the letters are now, but I think there should be some restrictions, although I don't know exactly what. But not the info on birth certificates. There aren't really that many TG people anyhow, and maybe they could show some kind of ID from their doctor saying they are genuine.

Back