It's an AH Reunion.

I'm pleased to see you back.

Thank you, nice to be back, finally been feeling more like myself. It was nice to come back and see that the AH was no longer politics central, got a little tiresome there between the 2008 and 2010 US election battles.

Thank you, nice to be back, finally been feeling more like myself. It was nice to come back and see that the AH was no longer politics central, got a little tiresome there between the 2008 and 2010 US election battles.

That still happens on the General Board, but putting two or three people on Ignore reduces the worst of it.

Hi peeps! What did I miss? :kiss:

I see Scouries is still around :rolleyes: and Tx is still telling people he's full of it. :D

So many new faces and yet... nothing ever changes, huh? :cattail:

Ooo, a new boat! Such fun.

Yes it is - when we get to cruise. More often, it lives up to its definition: "a hole in the water into which one throws money!"

More seriously, it's a 24-year-old canal boat, but buying low wattage LED lights, a hood so we can cruise when it's raining (or snowing, but since last October when we bought her, it hasn't snowed - though the canal did freeze), solar panels (plus controllers to charge the batteries with them), a hatch in the aft deck so that we can untangle plastic bags, bits of old rope, etc. from the prop without having to have an extra joint in my arm, a new prop and prop shaft (mostly paid for by the insurance) after hitting something under water, regularly paying for the holding tank for our loo to be pumped out, and, of course diesel to move, generate electricity, and give us hot water, plus a new solid fuel stove that's contollable and heats the water, so we can stay warm without roasting, reminds us of that aforesaid definition. Then there's been waiting for canal closures for lock maintenance, coming home for visits to the doctor, dentist, district nurse & pharmacy and - more pleasantly - for christmas, birthdays, etc. ...

Nevertheless, we've cruised along a couple of hundreds of miles of canals, crossing the Pennines twice (W-E and E-W, plus a 3rd to come - on a different canal), cruising through some beautiful countryside and both derelict victorian and currently active industrial zones, and some residential areas, found some wonderful pubs (especially the Ring o' Bells at Marple) and generally had a great time, the best which have been the days which our grand-daughter spent with us and I could initiate her into the mysteries of swing-bridges and locks.

It's a great life if you don't weaken!

Just to avoid the most common question, the solid fuel stove, plus excellent insulation means we don't get cold in winter: on some of the coldest nights last winter the temperature inside the boat was over 30 degrees C - when the stove was out of control it reached 38C! Last winter the worst was cruising in wind (that threatened to blow us into the bank) and rain (that ran down my neck and soaked my hands - through biking gloves), but the hood should make that much more comfortable, just making it harder to judge bridges so we don't rip it open - again!

Tunnels - built in the 19th century, up to 16,499 feet long - leave us in awe of the engineers of the time, but the boring, shorter ones are much less destructive of the paintwork - the Standedge tunnel is little wider than a canal narrowboat, which is 6'10" wide, but up to 70' long (we're 55') so steering is problematic - hitting the sides often enough to scrape us - while the low roof through much of the tunnel means I had to crouch for a journey that took us just over 3 hours! I was glad to get out...

If you want to join us for a day, in principle you're very welcome, but halts for maintenance mean we cannot guarantee we'll be cruising; you take pot luck!

"Fun" - often, but not always. I'd still love to welcome any Litsters that come our way.

Last edited:
Yes it is - when we get to cruise. More often, it lives up to its definition: "a hole in the water into which one throws money!"

More seriously, it's a 24-year-old canal boat, but buying low wattage LED lights, a hood so we can cruise when it's raining (or snowing, but since last October when we bought her, it hasn't snowed - though the canal did freeze), solar panels (plus controllers to charge the batteries with them), a hatch in the aft deck so that we can untangle plastic bags, bits of old rope, etc. from the prop without having to have an extra joint in my arm, a new prop and prop shaft (mostly paid for by the insurance) after hitting something under water, regularly paying for the holding tank for our loo to be pumped out, and, of course diesel to move, generate electricity, and give us hot water, plus a new solid fuel stove that's contollable and heats the water, so we can stay warm without roasting, reminds us of that aforesaid definition. Then there's been waiting for canal closures for lock maintenance, coming home for visits to the doctor, dentist, district nurse & pharmacy and - more pleasantly - for christmas, birthdays, etc. ...

Nevertheless, we've cruised along a couple of hundreds of miles of canals, crossing the Pennines twice (W-E and E-W, plus a 3rd to come - on a different canal), cruising through some beautiful countryside and both derelict victorian and currently active industrial zones, and some residential areas, found some wonderful pubs (especially the Ring o' Bells at Marple) and generally had a great time, the best which have been the days which our grand-daughter spent with us and I could initiate her into the mysteries of swing-bridges and locks.

It's a great life if you don't weaken!

Just to avoid the most common question, the solid fuel stove, plus excellent insulation means we don't get cold in winter: on some of the coldest nights last winter the temperature inside the boat was over 30 degrees C - when the stove was out of control it reached 38C! Last winter the worst was cruising in wind (that threatened to blow us into the bank) and rain (that ran down my neck and soaked my hands - through biking gloves), but the hood should make that much more comfortable, just making it harder to judge bridges so we don't rip it open - again!

Tunnels - built in the 19th century, up to 16,499 feet long - leave us in awe of the engineers of the time, but the boring, shorter ones are much less destructive of the paintwork - the Standedge tunnel is little wider than a canal narrowboat, which is 6'10" wide, but up to 70' long (we're 55') so steering is problematic - hitting the sides often enough to scrape us - while the low roof through much of the tunnel means I had to crouch for a journey that took us just over 3 hours! I was glad to get out...

If you want to join us for a day, in principle you're very welcome, but halts for maintenance mean we cannot guarantee we'll be cruising; you take pot luck!

"Fun" - often, but not always. I'd still love to welcome any Litsters that come our way.

Another reason to start squirreling away money to fly to Old Blightye. I hope you don't mind if I bring my vintage double gun along. I've also been invited to go shooting on a private shoot with a fan of my website. It travels in a locked aluminum case.

More seriously, it's a 24-year-old canal boat, but buying low wattage LED lights, a hood so we can cruise

If you make it onto the Staffs & Worcester round bridge eighty something, do let me know; I could be one of the blokes fishing on the bank !

Another reason to start squirreling away money to fly to Old Blightye. I hope you don't mind if I bring my vintage double gun along. I've also been invited to go shooting on a private shoot with a fan of my website. It travels in a locked aluminum case.

No - surely not the H&H .577 in Nitro Express ?

I'm still around, but don't get in here more than once in a blue moon. Not writing at the moment after being rather poorly. Maybe reading a few stories might stimulate my imagination ...

Alex

I'm still around, but don't get in here more than once in a blue moon. Not writing at the moment after being rather poorly. Maybe reading a few stories might stimulate my imagination ...

Alex

Look after yourself, and start writing again...

...please.

Alex

Well, now, there's a name I've not seen for a while.
I hope that the improved weather gets you feeling fitter and, more importantly, writing again!

Alex

Take care of yourself and come back soon. You are missed.

A Molly sighting.

Where is my camera when I need it?

*Stalk, stalk, stalk*

Back