Makeup Freaks

I have blue-gray eyes (more blue than gray). I do midtone gray on the bottom, a purple or blue color on the crease, and light gray on top. I'm a big fan of liquid liner, but I find, as I get older, that black looks too harsh. Dark gray liquid liner works PERFECTLY. And black mascara, of course.

Black mascara is a must for girls looking for dramatic eyes. I can't stress enough how awesome jet black mascara can make your lashes look! Every woman should have at least one tube in her purse at all times!

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I like makeup. Actually, I love it. I'm the one everybody comes to to help them with their makeup, and I have way more of it than I'll ever actually use. But I despair of ever being able to do anything with my hair. Can you help?

My hair is in the process of growing out from a questionable (read: terrible) haircut. It needs a trim, but that's not the actual problem. It's thin, limp, and extremely greasy. I've tried every shampoo and conditioner known to man, but...ugh.

I currently have 3 different kinds of shampoo in my bathroom. I cycle through them every 2-3 days. I condition maybe once a week because that's all I need. I deep-condition 2-3 times a year to keep my ends from looking like straw.

Ok, now that you have an idea of how disgusting my hair is, here's the question: what the hell can I do with it? If I blow-dry it and style it, it looks fantastic for maybe 10 minutes. Then, once it cools, it's flat again. Doesn't matter if I use styling products or no. The only difference is that without styling products, it's just flat and stringy. With styling products, it's flat, stringy, and greasy-looking.

It won't straighten completely because it has a couple of waves that do weird things. It won't hold any sort of curl. So I go through life with those two little waves plastered to my head, and I hate it. Doesn't matter if I use mousse, gel, spray, whatever. Same effect. Admittedly, I'm not too good at styling my own hair, but even when I have it done (like for my cousin's wedding), it doesn't last the whole day.

Sooo...any suggestions? Or should I just get a wig? LOL.

Thanks!

~Bunny

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I like makeup. Actually, I love it. I'm the one everybody comes to to help them with their makeup, and I have way more of it than I'll ever actually use. But I despair of ever being able to do anything with my hair. Can you help?

My hair is in the process of growing out from a questionable (read: terrible) haircut. It needs a trim, but that's not the actual problem. It's thin, limp, and extremely greasy. I've tried every shampoo and conditioner known to man, but...ugh.

I currently have 3 different kinds of shampoo in my bathroom. I cycle through them every 2-3 days. I condition maybe once a week because that's all I need. I deep-condition 2-3 times a year to keep my ends from looking like straw.

Ok, now that you have an idea of how disgusting my hair is, here's the question: what the hell can I do with it? If I blow-dry it and style it, it looks fantastic for maybe 10 minutes. Then, once it cools, it's flat again. Doesn't matter if I use styling products or no. The only difference is that without styling products, it's just flat and stringy. With styling products, it's flat, stringy, and greasy-looking.

It won't straighten completely because it has a couple of waves that do weird things. It won't hold any sort of curl. So I go through life with those two little waves plastered to my head, and I hate it. Doesn't matter if I use mousse, gel, spray, whatever. Same effect. Admittedly, I'm not too good at styling my own hair, but even when I have it done (like for my cousin's wedding), it doesn't last the whole day.

Sooo...any suggestions? Or should I just get a wig? LOL.

Thanks!

~Bunny

The Makeup fairy, is, unfortunately, not very well versed in advising about hair situations without seeing and being able to touch the hair in question. Your best bet would be to seek out a hairstylist in your local area who is professional and good at what they do for advice.

The Makeup fairy, is, unfortunately, not very well versed in advising about hair situations without seeing and being able to touch the hair in question. Your best bet would be to seek out a hairstylist in your local area who is professional and good at what they do for advice.

Okey dokey. Thanks! :)

Dear Makeup Fairy,
Can you recommend the best eyeliners for lining the water line of my eyes? I've been doing this for years and years, and I've tried waterproof liquid and pencil liners. I use drug store brands (Rimmel, Covergirl, etc.) I'm not opposed to splurging on a really good liner, but I need to know that it will work! Unfortunately, my eyes get very watery during makeup application and are very wet in general. So I need a SERIOUSLY waterproof liner that won't flake during long nights on the town and long work days. I love super-dramatic eyes and I know how to work my magic quite well. This eyeliner is the only thing lacking and it's driving me nuts! Thanks for your suggestions :)

Dear Makeup Fairy,
Can you recommend the best eyeliners for lining the water line of my eyes? I've been doing this for years and years, and I've tried waterproof liquid and pencil liners. I use drug store brands (Rimmel, Covergirl, etc.) I'm not opposed to splurging on a really good liner, but I need to know that it will work! Unfortunately, my eyes get very watery during makeup application and are very wet in general. So I need a SERIOUSLY waterproof liner that won't flake during long nights on the town and long work days. I love super-dramatic eyes and I know how to work my magic quite well. This eyeliner is the only thing lacking and it's driving me nuts! Thanks for your suggestions :)

Honestly, no matter what you do or what product you use, you're going to have to reapply. Even waterproof liner will eventually fade on the waterline, so if you're expecting a line to last on the waterline for 5-8 hours, you're going to be disappointed.

I can say, however, that one of the BEST waterproof eyeliner is Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes. It's basically -MADE- for tightlining, and can last several hours. You WILL have to reapply eventually, but the heavily pigmented pencil is very durable.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P35082&categoryId=C14197&shouldPaginate=true

absolutely best-ever mascara...

i love mascara - a girl never leaves the house without it! - and have tried just about every brand and type known to the free world.
after much hunting, i found this ... http://www.mirenesse.com/catalogue/c7/c70/c416/p2711
and it is, quite simply, the BEST mascara on the market!

this stuff wraps a coating of stuff around each individual eyelash, making them thicker and longer, stays on for 24 hrs if you need, doesn't smudge or run, is safe for contact lenses, and it washes off in the shower! (there's actually an instruction sheet that comes with it, because people tend to freak out when they're washing it off - little 'tubes' of mascara cascading down your face can seem like your actual eyelashes are falling off!)

check this one out if you're serious about lash magic :)

Dear Makeup Fairy

Happy Birthday! =^_^=
Yes, you just got told that three times by the same person.

Are you looking for a specific eye color? The more specific the question, the greater detail I can go into.

Yep, mine are blue. I tend to stick with fawn/gold/metallicy brown. However, my hair is about to go from mid-brown to very red, so a rethink may be needed.
I'm also thinking of a new haircut, but really unsure of what to go for.

Yep, mine are blue. I tend to stick with fawn/gold/metallicy brown. However, my hair is about to go from mid-brown to very red, so a rethink may be needed.
I'm also thinking of a new haircut, but really unsure of what to go for.

For eyeshadows, girls with blue eyes look really amazing in browns, bronzes, shades of purple, and grays. We can wear almost all shades of tan and coral as well, but tans don't show up on darker skin tones well, and corals can be hard to tone-match. Makeup newbies should stick to easier colors like grays, browns and purples!

I have very fair true neutral skin tone with copper freckles, and bronze-colored hair. My go-to eyeshadow for everyday fast polish is Cover Girl's One-Step eyeshadow in Tapestry Taupe. It's a GORGEOUS shade of true neutral brown with a lot of metallic shimmer in it. Combining that with jet black eyeliner really makes my eyes POP!

Here is a picture of the shade. I know it doesn't LOOK impressive in the pot, but once you get it on, you'll fall in love!

022700048090_med.jpg

It costs under 6 dollars and even with nearly daily wear, one pot can last me MONTHS!

As for your hair, red would look AMAZING on you, I've seen your photographs and you have a true redhead complexion. I'd go and talk to a local hairstylist that you can have a consultation with about what shade and tone of red you can go for. For the most natural effect, get highlights and/or lowlights with the red rather than one flat color. As for cut, with curly hair, long layers look amazing, and you can wash-and wear that sort of style. Avoid short bangs, as you'd more likely have to straighten them and not every woman has that kind of time on a daily basis, but face-framing layers cut (NOT RAZORED!) in would also look cute on you.

With your hair texture, do not let a stylist try to razor your hair, as curly hair frizzes with razoring.

If you need clarification of anything above, or if you'd like to ask anymore questions, feel free to write me here or PM me!

Hi Make-up Fairy!
I have grey/green eyes which i love :heart: (colour seems to vary from more grey to more green depending on my mood, health and the weather!). I tend to play aroud with bright coloured eye liners (blue, green, purple) but would love some advice on a slightly more 'grown-up' approach to making my eyes pop and draw the attention they deserve ;)
thank you and keep up the good work!

Hi Make-up Fairy!
I have grey/green eyes which i love :heart: (colour seems to vary from more grey to more green depending on my mood, health and the weather!). I tend to play aroud with bright coloured eye liners (blue, green, purple) but would love some advice on a slightly more 'grown-up' approach to making my eyes pop and draw the attention they deserve ;)
thank you and keep up the good work!

Last2know,

It's all about deciding what look you want! Mature makeup can be super easy if you have the right tools. Neutral colored eyeliners are the go-to shades of choice for grown ups, so grays, browns, and of course jet black are always in good taste!

Brown is great for extremely fair skinned redheads and blondes especially, who are looking for a more natural look. Gray eyeliner looks especially good on gray and green eyed girls, and jet black kohl is the default hotness for every woman who wants their eyes to REALLY stand out.

For daytime in hot summer months, playful dark browns and navy eyeliner is fantastic and isn't too harsh in natural sunlight. Dark brown and Navy eyeliner can also make brown eyes pop, and navy liner has the added benefit of making the whites of your eyes look whiter!

During the day, if you're wearing eyeliner on your lower lid, smudge it with a smudger or q-tip to soften the line, and always use some of your eyeshadow over it to soften the color. The darker and more pronounced the shade, the more careful you'll need to be. At night, lower lid lining can really make that glamorous cat-eye look that is SO HUGE right now super easy and fun!

If you have any further questions about makeup or beauty products, or if you need more information about the products listed above, please don't hesitate to PM me or ask here!

Here is a picture of the shade. I know it doesn't LOOK impressive in the pot, but once you get it on, you'll fall in love!

022700048090_med.jpg

It costs under 6 dollars and even with nearly daily wear, one pot can last me MONTHS!

I have a rimmel one in almost that exact shade! I think I'm on the right track then, though I'll definately look at purples next.

Thanks hon!

New random question.

Is there any way to entice the nail bed to grow longer?

Say, you're a compulsive picker and biter for years, and as a result, the nail beds appear to have shrunk back down the finger a bit.

When growing your nails out, can you grow more nail bed so you have less just nail?

Does that even make sense?

great advice, thank you! looks like i need to go buy me some grey eyeliner and dig out the brown shadows :) would you recommend pencil or liquid navy eye liner?

New random question.

Say, you're a compulsive picker and biter for years, and as a result, the nail beds appear to have shrunk back down the finger a bit.

When growing your nails out, can you grow more nail bed so you have less just nail?

Yes - file with a gentle emery board, don't cut...gradually the pink bit should progress further towards the end of your finger. I think it's cos cutting sends little shock waves down the nail, disturbing any infinitessimal "reattachment" that is trying to go on. Also if you can get away with never cleaning under your nails with a foreign object, so much the better. It's never gonna happen if you still bite/pick/fiddle.

New random question.

Lizzie,

There are several ways to entice proper growth in a bitten nail. And as a lifelong biter, I can totally feel you pain! Please note that these methods will take serious time, months sometimes! so patience is critical! Nail biting is one of the most difficult habits to break, often because biters have been doing it since early childhood!

Nail biting is wide spread and common. Approximately 20% of the adult population is at any one time a nail biter, with rates among college students being much higher (30%). Nail biting originates at the age of five or six years old. Because both habits originate and dissipate at roughly the same age, it has been theorized that nail biting is a left over and socially acceptable form of childhood thumb or finger sucking. Nail biting is prevalent across nationalities, age groups, demographics and occupations.

Encouraging your cuticles as far back as possible can expose nail bed, so once or twice a week you can take a cuticle pusher or preferably, an orange stick and some cuticle oil or cream, and gently push your cuticles back after the application of said oil or cream.

Fingernail-care-cuticle-cream-and-orange-stick.jpg

Pushing back your cuticles will not only expose the rear portion of the pink nail bed but also encourage blood circulation and growth of the nail plate! Increased circulation will boost nail growth and help the plate reach the tips of your fingers, or longer!

Not biting anymore is incredibly important to growing the plate out correctly, so if you can't manage to stop yourself, getting a hard acrylic overlay on your nails (impossible to bite due to it's thickness and strength!) in a salon, it will completely prevent you from biting the nail plate down. Salons see plenty of biters and you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Once you have acrylic over your nails, you'll notice that they'll grow out very quickly and you'll need to get them 'filled' regularly. In about two to three months, with regular filing-downs and fillings, the nail under the acrylic will be your own natural nail rather than a plastic nail tip, and you'll have the added bonus of still being unable to bite due to the hard overlay! Plus, acrylic nails look awesome!

acrylic-nails.jpg

The above method is the most expensive, due to the initial cost of acrylic nails and the maintenance costs of fills, but it's the most reliable for chronic severe nail biters. Acrylic nails are the ONLY reason my nails are long right now, without the hard overlay, I bite my nails severely and have tried many things (including bitter polishes tailored to nail biters, and the "rubber band" trick!) and cannot manage to stop myself. Most of my biting is done totally unconsciously, and the acrylic overlay is the only thing that stops me from destroying my nails.

great advice, thank you! looks like i need to go buy me some grey eyeliner and dig out the brown shadows :) would you recommend pencil or liquid navy eye liner?

Last2know,

I like both pencil AND liquid liners, for different reasons.

Liquid eyeliners give a sharp, smooth, highly pigmented line that works really well on the top lid. Pencil can be used on both the top and bottom (I recommend never using liquid on the bottom, too harsh!) lids and can be smudged! Often, for women with very oily lids or extremely small upper eyelids, I suggest using both pencil AND liquid on top, in order to intensify and 'set' the color for long wear.

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I have a terrible time finding the right colors to wear for my eyes, both liner and shadow. My eyes are a deep shade of green, the darkest part being around the outer edge and lightening inward with coppery flecks around the pupil. I have tried several shades, some “recommended” for those with green eyes and while I am sure they work fabulous for some they are just “alright” on me. I get close but just can’t get my green eyes to really pop!!

I do love my eye color and would like to be able to do them justice but I am seriously at a loss. After reading through your recommendations, I am hopeful you may have the answer?!

Btw, brilliant thread! :)

DEAR BABYCAKES!!!!!:heart::heart::heart::heart::D:D:D

As you know, I have asian eyes, and therefore, I am cursed with the whole "double-eyelid". How can I make my eyeliner stay on without making that horrific crease on my eyelid?
Does this make sense? lol

:kiss:

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I have a terrible time finding the right colors to wear for my eyes, both liner and shadow. My eyes are a deep shade of green, the darkest part being around the outer edge and lightening inward with coppery flecks around the pupil. I have tried several shades, some “recommended” for those with green eyes and while I am sure they work fabulous for some they are just “alright” on me. I get close but just can’t get my green eyes to really pop!!

I do love my eye color and would like to be able to do them justice but I am seriously at a loss. After reading through your recommendations, I am hopeful you may have the answer?!

Btw, brilliant thread! :)

Dear CaresseDArcy,

Green eyes are the rarest eyecolor in the world, and due to this, not many eyeshadow shades compliment them! I've made up several people with green eyes, and I've noticed that dark green eyes with golden undertones look really amazing with dark Chocolate Browns, dark Golden-Greens and Bronzes all with yellowy or "warm" undertones are really great at making your iris color pop!

Dark green eyes also look good in dark Plums and Copper of all tints! Some warm pinks can look really amazing, but you have to search for the right shade. Don't use ANY cool colors or they'll drain the color out of your irises, and avoid all blue shades.

Dark eyeliner can really brighten your eye color. Golden tones like dark chocolate brown and warm charcoal are great, and a brown-black (never use jet black, too cold!) can bring out the warm shades of your eyes. Try Cover Girl's eyeshadows, they have a wide selection of inexpensive and highly pigmented shades that can suit any eye color you can think of!

If you have any questions regarding the information or products listed above, don't hesitate to PM me or ask more questions here!

Last edited:
DEAR BABYCAKES!!!!!:heart::heart::heart::heart::D:D:D

As you know, I have asian eyes, and therefore, I am cursed with the whole "double-eyelid". How can I make my eyeliner stay on without making that horrific crease on my eyelid?
Does this make sense? lol

:kiss:

My good friend! How exciting it is to see you in my thread!

Asian girls are usually plagued with monolids, or "single eyelids", where they have no crease delineating their upper eyelid. Is that what you mean?

Hey honey, I was actually going to ask you earlier, but I totally forgot...

I need suggestions on a good eye makeup remover. I love waterproof mascara, but it's so difficult to get off without accidentally yanking out eyelashes.

Hey honey, I was actually going to ask you earlier, but I totally forgot...

I need suggestions on a good eye makeup remover. I love waterproof mascara, but it's so difficult to get off without accidentally yanking out eyelashes.

Essene,

I can totally help you with that. If you need a good high quality makeup remover, you could be looking right at it in your medicine cabinet...One of the cheapest and most innocuous things you could think of!

Petroleum Jelly!

'Vasaline' as it's more commonly referred to, is one of the world's best eye makeup removers. Not only does it not leave an oily residue on your skin like some oil-based makeup removers, but it's safe for contact lens wearers and people with sensitive eyes! It takes off even the MOST STUBBORN waterproof mascara, long-wear eyeliner and lip stain! A small jar will cost you as little as a dollar, and can last you years!

Dip your fingers into the jelly, and rub a small amount directly onto your eyes. As you rub, you can literally feel the mascara and makeup 'breaking up', which will color the jelly and leave your skin clean underneath! I suggest removing it with damp cotton pads or a soft (dark colored) washcloth.

My good friend! How exciting it is to see you in my thread!

Asian girls are usually plagued with monolids, or "single eyelids", where they have no crease delineating their upper eyelid. Is that what you mean?

^_______________________^

Well it's my turn to visit you, missy!
:kiss::heart::cattail:

And sadly, yes -_-"

It can't hold eyeshadow well or eyeliner. Halp! lol

Back