New Poetry Recommendations

It can pose some dang stiff challenges that's for sure. Oh the first couple are kind of a novelty. And if there's like five or seven. Fewer to give your attentive caresses to so each gets more. But then the fourth and fifth times, the novelty can threaten to cool. And I won't speak for others, me just a rookie, but I have to pretty much set aside Stuff, give pre-poem space. But if you have things on your mind or environmental distractions... like if such a reviewer was working on something the night before but didn't quite wrap it up and you want to look forward to it for the next day but you can't really because of the poems. Then when that's done - the poems - it's like culture shock or something. And let's not get started on the linking. But I wetted my finger a minute ago and stuck it out the window. Nice breeze. Anticipating good. Except they've been attacking in mobs lately. Spoiled. That's all.
So better get some shuteye. Pretty soon. Be back in a super slo-mo jiffy.
 
What a coincidence. Among the prime morsels of contemplative discourse in the Fireside Threadcast came about from Angeline's mention about Informative and Non-informative. I tossed off a somewhat globby idea of a line, which Shelia took and with her great artistic skills shaped my globby line into a Continuum. And a fine Continuum it was, and still is. I'd supposed that maybe on one end would be Informative=facts, clarity, encyclopedia, textbook, etc. And on the other end would be Non-informative=metaphor, obscurity, ambiguity, Poetry. Sheila then swept in just before those ideas I rolled around on my tongue went into my mind as rather rigid opinions. She forced me to question whether Poetry would be the other end of the Continuum. I had no choice but to openly confess that something else might indeed fit better on that end than Poetry, and to this very day that other end remains unfulfilled.

I happen to be attracted to all sections of the Continuum for their own beautiful reasons, and depending on my mood. What I seek. What I have been in too long. Begin a fluctuation towards the other end.

Now, if I am to be informed of something, it'll probably be because it is information I am seeking. Something I want to know. Or it might be info I wasn't seeking but stumbled on it. If I stumble on it I may acknowledge and continue on or something about it may capture my curiosity. Or someone might summon my attention to tell me something. Or want me to read something in which someone attempts to inform me of something important to them.

Same could be said about the side. If suggestion tries to seduce me to giving it an eye of contemplation or to spend waking moments mulling a possible meaning (or many possible meanings), I may or may not be in the mood when it approaches or I come upon it. Someone else mentioned Timing. Sometimes that's all it is. "Sorry, you caught me at the wrong time. Things are on my mind. Put it there on the corner and I'll get to it and then get back to you."

Of today's New Poem offerings, they seemed to favor the Informative end of the Continuum. Some were written or dressed attractive enough to create further interest, to tickle my imagination, and others, well, I just wasn't interested in what they were trying to inform.

Spindrift has two, which are really not so informative as they appear at first look. I wouldn't have known exactly what Latex was about without the informative title, Latex. Daedalus is dressed with more feathery imagery yet there is an informative message in it, an inspirational type, and goodness, Inspiration is never unwelcome here.

vie secrete's
Fleeting Happiness
is colorfully informative, not much to wonder about the meaning. Some of the colors please and other colors please me less. Not sure about the title. But I know, titles can be a bitch. I'm terrible with titles. Actually Fleeting Happiness isn't such a bad title.

Then there's a few more: some spicy romance, a coy mistress, someone all tied up and no place else they'd rather be, someone inviting the reader to come inside their mind/world, and someone waiting for a fuck buddy to come and fuck. I'll not judge the qualities of these because I just wasn't too interested in being so informed. But they might supply just the right info written just the right way for someone else out there.


And we have a couple on the Continuum's other end. Bite-size morsels that read pleasantly and quickly, but I won't begin to pretend I have any idea what they mean. Yet it is a pleasure to drop them into the old noggin slot and they'll swim around and hopefully fuse with the others there and maybe influence future... you know the future. These two would be: 6EQUJ5, by uneven
and strange flowers? by Middleagepoet

And finally,
Nude Women by Cal Y. Pygia is just too coincidentally perfect way to wrap up our fondling of Continuums. Because in this, Nude Women, the poet quite ably takes a comfortable middle position and reaches for both Informative and suggestive. And, it also touts the benefits of availing oneself of an entirety of another Continuum.

Well, that should do it for today. Off now to grab a certain neck of maple, run my hand up and down it, work on mixing up the timing, because I like all of that Continuum, from the slow to the fast, but sometimes it's so easy to get into the fast fingerings but then comes sloppiness, all that excitement, so restrain, refrain, find that one right place, and squeeze.
 
I'd like to take a moment to draw worthy attention to secret by hmmnmm. Maybe it's the late hour, but I stumbled over some of it the first time I read it. The poem has some creative description which well makes up for it having less punctuation than I would like. The only line I don't like is "wonder burns." It seems out of place to me. I'm not sure why. Does anyone else feel that way?

It's a quick read. Go ahead. I dare ya.
 
Saturday already? Here are the latest poetic arrivals. My picks for today.....

From the top – An Ode to Saint Christopher by seannelson is a poem covering much of the world’s woes eloquently. I see it as a plea for whole-earth cooperation. Nicely done.

dirty dancin’ by safe_bet is a snappy little hip-hop number, good rhythm. I confess to using Google for “Ludacris” – just call me Squaresville.

Nothing To Do With Dinner by first-time-poster Lilhi is short and tasty. Food and sex just go together so well.

Holy Island
by another new-to-Lit poet JackieH has some lovely images but I felt it could be tightened a bit.

On the Road to Nabesna by Koba is a narrative poem with some fine lines and vivid imagery. I think it could be tightened a little but the bones are lovely. It made me long to explore Nabesna in all its splendor and have the same epiphany.

Visiting New-Wed Friends by recent arrival uneven whose name is misleading. I loved the simplicity of this poem painting, as it does, a perfect little slice of life. This is a poet I shall follow.

Breathless and Other poems by the incredibly prolific Cal Y. Pigia is a bundle of erotica. I particularly like Valkyrie. What a generous muse this poet has, inspiration-wise, I’d like to have what he/she’s having (When Harry met Sally).

Aphrodite’s Model by one (or two?) of my favourites. AnonAndAnon is a bit sprawling, possibly intentionally, but has some lovely lines and opens a window on a poet’s thoughts. I particularly like the final strophe as it brings the reader full circle and back to reality.

Lastly some fine erotica, Fuck Buddies by first-time-poster quixotic14you. Nothing quixotic about this piece except, possibly, the title. I’ll be looking for more of his work too.

Well, that's all for now. Please use the link to read all todays offerings, vote and comment where you can, it matters. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
New Poems Reviews for Sunday January 18th

Of the nine new poems today, these are my picks.

Says Cal Y. Pygia,

There is no space between
the dreamer and her dreams;


in the first of her several good poems today titled Sleeping Beauty and Other Poems. Don't stop after just one! Read on for slithering labia and zombies!

For more somber fare, check out The Ballad of Angela Folsom by greenmountaineer. This ballad is stitched with references to childhood and innocence that leave one heartbroken by the final stanza due to the poet's skillful use of repetition.

Sadangel proffers a gift from her childhood. One sees in Softest of Tones a very bright beginning, I think. (She was 14 when she wrote it.) This is one of three that sadangel has for us today.

Despite what feels to me like overuse of alliteration, Morning medicine in the garage is an interesting poem with vivid images. Stop by to read Steve Porter's poem and see what you think about the sonics. Maybe you'll love them.

Happy poeming!
 
Big day in DC. Slow poetry day. Perhaps politics, even history making politics and poetry don't mix well. Maybe they corrode each other's soul. After all the speechifying and the endless talking heads if you're wanting a bit of distraction, then come back here and read today's offerings or try the spinner.

::

Cal Y. Pygia is having a good poetry day. His collection The Loveliness of Breasts contains a few gems. Those of you who know me will be aware that I'm not exactly a big boob kinda guy. I approached the first poem with a bit of trepidation, fear not. I enjoyed. You might too. Sibling Rivalry also caught my fancy. What's not to like about cruel deviant siblings.

::

Conquest of a Hero by Dommoser is worth a read if only for the interesting rhyme scheme. Each five line verse is a pair of rhyming couplets separated by a single line. It's an awkward scheme, made more so by the erratic line length, but the author works it nicely to give emphasis to the middle line.

::

RedHawke's poem Ode to Milady will bring pleasure to those with a love of chastity belts or "chivalrous" poetry. During my misspent academic career, I designed and manufactured a cute, articulated, stainless steel, chastity belt for a friend as a practical joke gone horribly wrong, I can only say, "don't try this at home kids".

::

If all you are looking for is zero to orgasm in 19 lines then read this by Sexuallyfree. If you think 20 lines is more your speed then try on this by KarennaC.

::

That's it for me. I am so out for lunch.




::
 
Wednesday Poems

Anyone heard from LeBroz?
Okay, here is the first part of the reviews and I still have some more to read. :)



First up is UnderYourSpell and her D/s poem: In silent symmetry
It doesn't suck! Yes, folks, many bdsm poems do -- more often than not -- suck. But Annie's poem is really lovely, very poetic, a wonderful read.

No Hoper is another UnderYourSpell poem. Nice read.

-----------

Finally We Start by Safe_Bet
Give it a read.
Good poem but I want to choke her for letting me read my one millionth breath/breathe typo. :D

-----------

Rapunzel by LadynStFreknBed is a, um, hairy poem. ;)
Also check out her Freedom and her lovely Winter Cold

-------------

annaswirls first survivor poem: Feed the Birds

--------------
 
Thursday 1/22/09

W00t! Fourty-three, count’em, Fourty-three brand, spankin’ new poems today. With this many GOOD poems I am going to be selective as hell, so here goes:

Nostalgia by LadynStFreknBed is a wonderful piece that blends her emotions and heritage. “Bitch’in” Chickie!

By Any Means by bflagsst is a pithy little piece till you get to the end. THEN it bites you in the butt. SWEET!

The Ballad of Bob Darrell by UnderYourSpell is maybe the finest piece she’s written. Superb!

The other pen name by AChild gets better the more you read it. I didn’t care for the “Olde English” in the first few reads, but it fits with the title after a bit. Great job for a first posting! Excellent!

Call to Heaven is the first poem by SweetDreamStories. The rhyming is a little erratic, but there are just tons of emotion in this piece. Moving.

Melodramatic Monologue by annaswirls impressed the hell out of me. I was VERY prepared to NOT like this piece but she didn’t give me that choice. Well Done!

Seamless Grotesqueries by Cal Y. Pygia was another one I was prepared not to like. You got me with the Zombies though, crazy one! *Snerk*

FINALLY (Jeez – I broke a freak’en sweat here!)

Acrostic Cinquain by Angeline simply kicks ass. This should be the Poster Poem for this form. Simply Marvelous, darling… Marvelous.

These are just MY picks. Now get your ass over to the New Poem Page and pick your own favorites. Move it! (Yeah I'm talking to YOU!)
 
Last edited:
errr, how does one locate the New Poems page? (I'll look on the Poetry Threads obviously but if there is a clear path, i'd appreciate direction, thanks!)
 
Hello there everyone. I just wrote a poem and tried to submit it, but it must not have gone through. Does anyone mind if I post it here to see if I should try and submit it again?
 
Hello there everyone. I just wrote a poem and tried to submit it, but it must not have gone through. Does anyone mind if I post it here to see if I should try and submit it again?

Hi this thread is generally for review of the new poems posted but if you try one of the other threads and ask for critique I'm sure someone will come along to help you .... Good luck with your poem :rose:
 
It was not long ago that SB discovered over forty poems clamoring for her attentions and she replied to them and to us, she would have to be "selective as hell". With the Survivor now getting kicked off these abundant poems will probably be the norm. And, though I don't enjoy the idea, when I saw today's offerings and lost count after counting over 20, it crossed my mind to go snatch a pair of missus hmmnmm's pink cotton panties, ones with little red hearts, and just go ahead and be a bit bitchy with the poems. But, the blue jeans are just too comfortable, so I'll try nicely narrow them to... I don't. It's down to a dozenish now. If I omit a worthy one, please do not scold too harshly unless, you know, there's something in it for me. :heart:

if bflagsst's Friendship (Cemetery Ardor) had been today's only poem it would have been plenty. Take your pick: want rhythm, wonderful language, a forward motion, something happening? It's all there. Definitely a print-worthy work, to fold and put in your pocket and take it with you and chew on it down at the pub or the coffee shop. Alone.

Remec's Travel is just about as good as a photograph. Concision, vividness, alive. I like this kind of stuff. A lot. It inspires. That focus.

pushkine has several (3 according to my count). If I would choose one to take home it would probably be Phlebas, and maybe try and sneak the one about the robin (backyard) into my pocket, but accidentally-on-purpose drop the 'another' somewhere on the sidewalk. A robin might like it.

I feel very uncomfortable about reviewing a LadyS submission, because, because of recent developments I'm not sure she's old enough to be operating a poetry vehicle, and I'm not sure her poetry license was issued from the proper agency. Nonetheless, I shall risk losing my reviewer permit, and say that Drama Life, Curtain Birth is just a beautiful work full of emotion, most of it on the sad side, but compelling like a brokenhearted dove wondering about everything. It also gives a good case in favor of forms.

I've been aware of
annaswirls
existence for some time, but was not privileged with appropriate encounter, until I got to offer counsel about... things in life. And what a double whammy super duper privilege to have two of her pieces to behold. Of her two I prefer Garden Wall, again, showing us what beautiful expression and pictures and paintings can be made in the limitations of form frames.

Okay... gotta take ten. All tuckered. Store. Needs. Immediate. Part Two coming soon, by bedtime Eastern Standard Time, though I know bedtimes don't apply to some people who live in that zone.
 
Part Two

In Which the Reviewer struggles against the restraints of clean and crisp concision.

Achild's Questive On Winning the Race duo leaves me curiously quizzical.

There are a number of poems today that read like personal Me to You testaments. They cover all the range of situations and emotions. No judging here on the quality of the writing. Some fine others less so. But even among some that may not hit your buttons, you'll still find some choice lines.

And You are a liar by Willow Rain does this for me. Well written but my mood was not into the message, and I might've backed out had it not been for this:

as useless as black beetles on the page

Brilliant. I can see it. Hear them scuttling.

Jack Samuel brings up three poems (unless I miscounted, entirely possible). I preferred Curious Cento because of the daring visual experiment. And it worked.

UYS offer 2. One is a limerick, Crocodile Limerick. I read it twice, then thrice. It feels like it almost starts with a stumble which may or may not have been intentional or it may be just me. But it certainly re-erects itself by the end. Now I know this will appear really suspicious, because annie does come and visit in my fireside threadcast, but even if she didn't, even if we'd never met in any way, I think I could say that her A petticoat disrobed would be my Selection Of The Day. Sweet disorder in her dress, petticoats, lace, pantaloons, tempestuous disarray, distractions; and all presented with a strutting sheen that pops out all the more attractive from within the frame of a form.

The subject matter of It must have hurt... by imking is unapologetically and frankly dark, though 'dark' is a poor word, a lazy reach for an adequate word; but it is written in a way that goes right along with it. Proceed with caution.

And Safe Bet's We Dance shall lead us out of this day's review as they glide together across the ballroom, one wanting it now, the other making the wanting one wait, and make upright love to what must be some exquisite music.

Okay, I'm sure I missed a few good ones. There were many. Anybody wish to fill in the gaps and niches that my imperfect mental journey overlooked, why feel free to hop on up here and have at 'er.

Thank you and good day.
 
Hi this thread is generally for review of the new poems posted but if you try one of the other threads and ask for critique I'm sure someone will come along to help you .... Good luck with your poem :rose:


I just got one of my poems published. It's a new poem called For Love and Baseball Check it out and let me know what you think.


Dan
 
1/23/09

I'll add one for today. RisiaSkye has been around Lit forever: she has poetry submissions going back to 2001. I've been a fan of her poems for years, and I'm always excited to read something new from her. So I was thrilled to see Marginal Mother in today's list. And I was not disappointed. It's really good. Check it out and you'll see why I rave about her. :)
 
Happy Sunday Peeps! Today, as my next death defying feat, I am going to prove that I am completely insane and review Sunday’s AND Saturday’s poetry. (the bang you hear after this review will be me killing myself). Anyways:

Sapphos Sister has a couple of very nice poems today. Journey takes us on an erotic trip over some luscious “hills” and “dales.” Her second piece, Photograph is a wonderful look into jealousy. Both poems are MUST reads. Fantastic!

tiffnhoney is a new poet who is coming out of the blocks FAST. She has offered us three poems, the best of which is Searching. She uses a terse style and gets maximum impact from ever word. Speaking of terse, I got a kick out of her poem A Treat. It truly is aptly named. Hope to see MUCH more of this fine new poet.

pushkine has given us some truly GREAT poetry over the last couple of days. Not only is he a master of the form poem (which he will surely deny, but just tell him to shut up), he has an amazing way with words that imparts a sense of awe. Although difficult, if I had to pick only one of his fine poems from today, I’d select his Ghazal in Thirteen. All I’m going to say is WOW! If you miss this one you lose BIG!

tungtied2u maintains his normally high levels of skill with his newest offering Emancipation. The emotion in this piece just builds and builds. LOVED it!

NorthernPA4U has a couple of worthy offerings today. My favorite is his witty double dactyl titled DIY. It gave me more than a few yucks, dude. Thanks.

champagne1982 is back to present us with three splendid pieces, with my favorite being her acrostic poem Sweet. Yeah I’m going to say it… SWEET! Make sure to look at her other two pieces as well. They are stellar!

Curiouswife has given us a great poem titled The Key. Great stuff. This is one of those "need to read it three times to get all the nuances" kinda poems. Well worth the effort!

Angeline once again wows me with her poetic abilities. My favorite of today’s selection is Criminal Curtal. This is a superb poem folks. Definitely another MUST read.

MrFantasyMan is last but not least. His offering Can You See... shows an in-depth understanding of the female “who and what.” Bet this dude gets laid a lot for real! It is THAT good.

As always, these are just my personal choices. I encourage you, no, I DARE you to prove me wrong by reading all of the offering and finding a better choice than mine. HA! You can’t can you, you no good punks!

Oh, and BANG!
 
Last edited:
I have just finished reading all 75 poems on the current list. Ok, I didn't spend long on some but the amount of quality submissions in the last few days has been unusually high. I wrote a few comments, maybe not as many as I should but thanks to all the contributors.
 
Monday, January 26, 2009

I have just finished reading all 75 poems on the current list. Ok, I didn't spend long on some but the amount of quality submissions in the last few days has been unusually high. I wrote a few comments, maybe not as many as I should but thanks to all the contributors.

When I first read the first line of ishtat's message, my immediate thought was, "Ah, hell no! 75 new poems today?" It wasn't until I ran to the New Poems page that I realized ishtat didn't mean the ones that posted today. Phew!

What's My Line? by pushkine is a well-crafted cinquain from the perspective of dust. This poem highlights the celestral significance and eternal role to something as common and disregarded as dust. Pushkine gives us a curtal sonnet, She Sleeps in Wood which is a well-crafted, entertaining retake on Sleeping Beauty. Well done!

And just when I thought I had read the best from pushkine, I read pushkine's other new poem for today, Rondeau for Alain Robbe-Grillet. I got my own little lesson in literature this morning. When briefly reading more information on things mentioned in this piece, I couldn't help but think of the beginning of Impressionism in art. When do revolutions in art work? When do they fail? Is rejecting the longstanding principles and habits of the master predecessors enough? Do people have to accept it or is challenging preconceived notions a reward in and of itself? Ah, I could reread this poem and discuss this topic all day. Be prepared on your Hangout thread, hmmnmm. As for the rondeau itself, the differences in the emphasis of the refrain is quite entertaining.

I'm privileged to have the honor of reviewing The Year the Blackbirds Died by vampiredust. Now, this is the quality of poetry I can only hope to be able to write someday. With imagery so hauntingly vivid, vampiredust gives us an example of how a poem can make a strong statement without any semblance of preachiness or a political tirade. Knock-you-over-the-head subtly... what poetry can be. Thank you, vampiredust.

NorthernPA4U gives us a rondeau called Baby Pictures of Famous Dictators. My fellow Pennsylvanian has been steaming right through the Poetry Survivor contest by posting some excellent examples of form poetry. The scenes of this poem depict the mothers' love and hope for newborns who would eventually become notorious tyrants. Well done, NorthernPA4U.

Cinderella in Charcoal is strikingly beautiful, as one would expect a poem from live4passion to be. It's a beautiful erotic poem that I encourage everyone to read.

So, I guess this is the part of my review in which I admit my ignorance of rock legends when faced with a poem that claims to be the definitive Simon & Garfunkel, Simon and Garfunkel -The Flasher by Gaia_Lorraine. I'm hoping someone can step forward and educate me with a review of this poem.

The quality of the new poems for today is almost intimidating. Please take a few moments to enjoy and comment on the poems.
 
I have an unexpected visitor, will get to these as I can.... Yeah Darkmaas! Thanks for the awesome review. My reviews suck. I apologize in advance.

All righy.

I have noticed something missing from the new poems list. Those little red H's from days gone by. Of course, it is all about the POETRY and not the VOTERY But!!! I wanna see the hot hot hot symbol next to the poems again. I miss them.

I am giving my own scarlet letters in today's review. Just to a few favorites. The others were good too, this is just my one lowly opinion. My tastes are not your tastes, so go vote on your favorites and bring back the H!

~Anna



New Poems

A Scientists We Are Not -
Submitted by Sapphos Sister I think this was my favorite read today. Clever trip through the --ologies... for someone who claims to not be a scientist, she sure has the lingo down to a science. Enjoyable. Intelligent. Go read. Please.


A Before She Was My Mother
The angles are left to the women,
the curves for the critics in the corner,
her business models on the floor,
she breaks into tears on his shirt,
Submitted by bflagsst I feel like I know this woman...


A River View -
Submitted by loganforester Check out this haiku done right! Looks effortless when it works, but we all know, it is a chore!

A Written on a Funeral -
Submitted by pushkine

There's flowers and corpses and, sometimes, love
In almost any graveyard.

I read this and I have to stop. How could it get better? But I need to go get a tissue.....seriously.

ACocktail -
Submitted by pushkine double inverted yum with a double meaning of "cocktail"


At the Mall -
Submitted by Remec Can you name that form? Nicely done.


Okay I wrote my first sonnets. If it were anything else I would not mention my own work, but I cannot believe I am writing form poetry at all. I know they are not as traditional as some might like, but they are.... What he could not throw away Each Fallen Robin -


laurambell has three prescriptions for those of you looking for some sexy medicine


Without Mercy -
Submitted by LadyJenny
Keep your slice of soul close but speak of me to the brush holders
That fresh, foolish paladins might seek on bended knees.
This is not my favorite style of writing, but I think she does it well. Like the quote? Check out the rest of the poem-- it really is lovely. And I love her name.


bad weather -
Submitted by pushkine I did not see the movie that this poem references, but as a zappai, it works! Pushkine is rocking this contest.


Tata Man Dicks! -
Safe_Bet had a little too much fun writing this one! It is contagious :)



A Mosquito's Life -
Submitted by UnderYourSpell made me giggle. I never would have dreamed something sas serious sounding as Rubaiyat Quatrain would make me giggle, but this one did.


Jessica Christ -
Submitted by ramonathompson (Non-Erotic Poetry) I did not get into this one too much until the end. Killer last verse.


The past -
Welcome LaylaWeathermaker and FilthyAngel to literotica.

That's all folks! Signing out with time for lunch!

~Anna
 
Last edited:
Back
Top