Finish a story

Copy this ^^^^^

It would be nice if we could somehow tag one of the debate threads on this, as it's often asked and the answers are always the same:

Not without permission
Maybe the author HAS already finished
Don't publish long stories until they're actually finished
Etc...

Copy this ^^^^^

It would be nice if we could somehow tag one of the debate threads on this, as it's often asked and the answers are always the same:

Not without permission
Maybe the author HAS already finished
Don't publish long stories until they're actually finished
Etc...

I'd suggest a sticky, but its pretty obvious no one looks at them.

I'd suggest a sticky, but its pretty obvious no one looks at them.

Or a better memory, to find the last one. I suspect we could set a clock, folk being predictable.

There's probably a Literotica periodic table of common topics "what's the half life of any question, in days?" Can one of the numbers guys produce this, please?

I have tried contacting this author https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=1069632&page=submissions

About him finishing his "Neighborhood Dad" series but haven't heard back. I love this series and I think it would be awesome for someone to finish it.

I read 3 stories a couple of years ago and, just by chance, came across them again a few hours ago. I enjoyed them initially and enjoyed them on the 2nd reading. Probably because all three contained 2 of my 3 main addictions. 🤓 Two stories written 7 years ago and the last one 4 years ago. There could be several reasons why he never continued and I’ve messaged him hoping he’ll read it and that it’ll jump start his imagination and desire.

All 3 stories are set up and begging for sequels and one of them, written 2011, even has Ch.01 in the title. There are lots of other examples of the same thing happening with other writers and in many cases (not all) it’s a great pity.

I read 3 stories a couple of years ago and, just by chance, came across them again a few hours ago. I enjoyed them initially and enjoyed them on the 2nd reading. Probably because all three contained 2 of my 3 main addictions. 🤓 Two stories written 7 years ago and the last one 4 years ago. There could be several reasons why he never continued and I’ve messaged him hoping he’ll read it and that it’ll jump start his imagination and desire.

All 3 stories are set up and begging for sequels and one of them, written 2011, even has Ch.01 in the title. There are lots of other examples of the same thing happening with other writers and in many cases (not all) it’s a great pity.

Someone might write a story, considering it a first chapter of a longer work, then lose interest.

I have disregarded what I am sure is wise advice about not publishing chapters as I go. I know the inherent problems and risks. But, I know, in general sense, what is going to happen to my characters. If something were to happen to prevent me from finishing my story, and someone else wrote about them, they'd just be wrong.

No one can do that without his permission. He owns the copyright in it, and writing more chapters based upon the same characters and events would be an infringement of his copyright.

Which is the most common answer when this topic comes up...and yet, there is a freaking CATEGORY on lit for fan fiction, where people write spin offs of commercially successful stories, movies and TV shows. So, some how it is okay to write/continue/extend commercially successful stories, but not some random story on lit. right.

Which is the most common answer when this topic comes up...and yet, there is a freaking CATEGORY on lit for fan fiction, where people write spin offs of commercially successful stories, movies and TV shows. So, some how it is okay to write/continue/extend commercially successful stories, but not some random story on lit. right.

Fan fiction is still, technically, breaching copyright by taking somebody else's characters and placing them in different story situations. The 'subtlety' might be that the copyright owners elect not to pursue (some of course, with far bigger wallets, do pursue and do shut down). The copyright owners might also choose to do nothing, fan fiction being a form of publicity. But it's still their choice, the characters being their property.

Should there be a Lit category for fan fiction? Don't know, I don't write it, I don't read it - in principle, probably not. But it's not my website.

But it does not follow that the same rules apply, because the copyright owner here on Lit is me, and you, and the next guy, and you can't just take what's mine and make it yours.

I might not be able to prosecute you if you did, for example, take one of my stories and continue it contrary to my wishes, but I'd certainly ask for it to be taken down. In my mind it's less a legal question, more an ethical one - why would you take something of mine and make it yours, without asking first? I might not care, but equally, I might.

My stock response is generally, write your own material, have your own ideas. Be original.

...The 'subtlety' might be that the copyright owners elect not to pursue ...

and so, OP, the concern of some in the peanut gallery is some random author on Lit, or maybe asstr, who hasn't been heard of since the crusades, might suddenly reappear and "ask for it to be taken down"

Annnnnd... cue Judy Tenuta. "It could happen."

Sigh. Nope, still can't figure out how to embed gifs.

and so, OP, the concern of some in the peanut gallery is some random author on Lit, or maybe asstr, who hasn't been heard of since the crusades, might suddenly reappear and "ask for it to be taken down.

Or, somebody with a set of ethics that respect the original content creator.

You don't know why they didn't finish a story, but you appear not to respect them, either. Ethics - a personal choice, some people have a set, other's, a different set.

Lets not forget that there are other sites (like chyoa.com) that encourage writers to work on each other's stories but with permission.

Also, if you're not actively offering to write it, what use is asking that **someone else** write a continuation of one person's work? Even if the author said yes, the next volunteer needs to be found so that can be told to keep on volunteering or another person needs to volunteer. If you offer to write up another story and they decline, that's their right but I'd have a little sympathy.

Back