The Construction Thread

Although it caused quite a bit of devastation, the '64 earthquake was a Godsend to the economy here in Alaska.

America needs more engineers

"In the Miami Herald (11/17) columnist Andres Oppenheimer wrote that despite "the growth of the US student population in recent decades, the number of engineering graduates has fallen from 97,000 a year in the mid-1980s to 87,000 nowadays," according to the National Science Foundation. "In most Western countries, young people would rather go to the dentist than go into engineering. Law, business, and medicine - just about anything but engineering - seem to be the preference of today's youth," said Dave Goldberg, a professor emeritus of engineering of the University of Illinois, "and head of The Big Beacon movement to transform engineering education. Goldberg's recipe: make engineering studies more fun, and more creative. 'We are forcing our students to go to a math-science death march,' he told me. 'Instead of starting with the creative part, we start teaching them the abstract stuff, and lose up to 50 percent of the people who enter engineering.'"

The Silent Crisis in Science and Technology Recruiting
"The American Council for Technology and the Industry Advisory Council’s Institute for Innovation released a report focusing on the challenges federal agencies and industry face in the quality of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) candidates. The report says that although scientific innovation produces roughly half of all U.S. economic growth, the educational pipeline necessary to fill STEM jobs and make that economic growth possible is inadequate. The report also notes that jobs in STEM fields are increasing three times faster than jobs in the rest of the economy, but U.S. students are not entering these fields in sufficient numbers. About $3.4 billion was spent on STEM education, but only $312 million is targeted toward improving teacher effectiveness, and only $396 million is invested in K-12 education. The report says federal agencies should focus on STEM education activities by establishing a national challenge for STEM that includes increased public awareness campaigns, improved coordination efforts, innovative grant and tax incentive programs, and calls for more urgency to the STEM problem. Agencies also should create a permanent STEM education committee that focuses on coordinating all of the various STEM initiatives and establishing clear methods for measuring the outcomes of federal STEM initiatives."

Thomas Friedman had a dumbass column about STEM jobs yesterday, with the usual barely-concealed implication that Unemployment Is The Worker's Own Fault. A horde of commentators descended upon him and basically beat his ass like a gong.

Thomas Friedman had a dumbass column about STEM jobs yesterday, with the usual barely-concealed implication that Unemployment Is The Worker's Own Fault. A horde of commentators descended upon him and basically beat his ass like a gong.

It's hard to put the building up without any any plans.

and yet retarded builders try to convince homeowners of just the opposite, every damn day :(

I don't believe that full blown drawings are needed for some small dwellings.

I also believe that some homebuilders are the fucking scourge of the Earth while others are good people.

I don't believe that full blown drawings are needed for some small dwellings.

I also believe that some homebuilders are the fucking scourge of the Earth while others are good people.

when dealing with a builder who actually knows his shit, yes some drawings aren't necessarily needed, but then again it's still prolly required by law.

and the laws aren't just pain the ass or a money-maker for local jurisdictions, it's part of the process that protects unwitting homeowners from bad builders, or good builders who fuck up, which is pretty damn inevitable.

when dealing with a builder who actually knows his shit, yes some drawings aren't necessarily needed, but then again it's still prolly required by law.

and the laws aren't just pain the ass or a money-maker for local jurisdictions, it's part of the process that protects unwitting homeowners from bad builders, or good builders who fuck up, which is pretty damn inevitable.

The guy who built my house is teaching school right now, because although he was a good builder, he was a poor manager. Anchorage codes and the city's building inspection group are pretty sticky and rightfully so for the most part. My house has weathered 130 mph winds, over 4 feet of snow, and a few minor earthquakes so far with no problems other than a few shingles being blown off.

Lots of people consider built to code to be the standard. I consider it to be a minimum requirement.

The guy who built my house is teaching school right now, because although he was a good builder, he was a poor manager. Anchorage codes and the city's building inspection group are pretty sticky and rightfully so for the most part. My house has weathered 130 mph winds, over 4 feet of snow, and a few minor earthquakes so far with no problems other than a few shingles being blown off.

Lots of people consider built to code to be the standard. I consider it to be a minimum requirement.

exactly, code should always be considered the last resort bare minimum, not the goal

it's funny how most building components are over-engineered in their design and production, but their use and assembly aren't nearly as well done

exactly, code should always be considered the last resort bare minimum, not the goal

it's funny how most building components are over-engineered in their design and production, but their use and assembly aren't nearly as well done

No child left behind......

so how tough IS it to dig into permafrost? always been curious...

291836_445957772134350_1273301369_n.jpg

This is bamboo scaffolding encased in a clear plastic covering in Hong Kong.

It just depends what soil type is frozen. Digging in frozen gravel is akin to digging through concrete without any steel in it.

yikes

it's amazing that plant roots can push through that

oh ok
i assumed the pf extended all the way to the top of grade

Essentially, it does in a glacier.

land-permafrost-romanovsky_fig5.jpg

Note the thin layer above the ice that freezes and thaws annually.

(And of course Vlad, who at one time played hockey at Moscow State University)

Essentially, it does in a glacier.

land-permafrost-romanovsky_fig5.jpg

Note the thin layer above the ice that freezes and thaws annually.

(And of course Vlad, who at one time played hockey at Moscow State University)

cool pic :)

and vlad?? srsly?? fuck that's a cool name.
i mean what better nickname can you get than "the impaler" ? haha

Back