Rabbit recipes

Brown the pieces in bacon grease. Deglaze the pan with sherry wine add a cup of chicken broth, onions, carrots, potatoes, a touch of rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Slow cook over medium to low heat until carrots and potatoes are tender.

Very similar to how I cook my ox tail. Yum. In the cast iron pot.
 
We used to net wild rabbit when I was a kid. Set nets over their runs and then frighten them with a bit of yelling then grab them as they run into the net, To kill them hold them by the back legs with one hand and firmly around the neck with the other hand. Then jerk the hands apart turning the rabbit's head upwards. Death is instant as the neck breaks. Gut and skin them straight away if you can; it's easier when they are still warm.

Half grown baby rabbit is ok fried for breakfast.
 
i felt bad for it because it was only enjoying all the yummy free veggies we were growing - like it was our fault, laying out the buffet for it and luring him in. did he deserve a bullet in the brain?

i also don't like taking the head off... yes, i'm squeamish, but managed it. had to cover it first so i couldn't see its eyes :eek: once that was off, the rest was no problem, as i can then see it as meat and not 'bunny'.

I had to get over that. I've had to kill chickens and shit since I was a kid and I didn't realize that wasn't normal until I went to college and it freaked people the fuck out.

There's this funny story in my family about my gramps being a dumbass that my city-slicker friends found horrifying and traumatizing.

One time when he was a kid, my mamaw told him to go out and kill a chicken for supper, then hang it and drain it, like you do. He would have been a little bitty kid, like so little that you couldn't snap them yet and were supposed to do the rake thing.

Well he decided he didn't need no damn rake, he was gonna snap that shit in the air like his mom because he was a big boy now! So he did that, and he took it back into the kitchen to get the knife to take off the head so he could drain it.

Except it wasn't dead. It had gone into shock and passed out.

And it woke up.

In his hand.

And LOST ITS ABSOLUTE SHIT.

That chicken whooped his ass, scratched the shit out of him, started running around, destroyed the whole-ass kitchen, knocking shit over, breaking shit, just running wild. So he's trying to hide the fact that he's in a legend of zelda game because he knows his mom will be PISSED but you can't hide that shit because... you can't hide that shit. It's like screaming and hollering and destroying everything.

So my mamaw comes in, sees the hell he hath wrought, killed the chicken and beat his fucking ass.

And that's just like, a funny family story we tell because that shit is funny.

Like, my gramps:

hqdefault.jpg


But I realized when I told that story, thinking it was funny, that no everyone thinks it is. Some people think that's the kind of thing that would traumatize a child.

https://eatsiptrip.10best.com/2018/01/09/what-it-really-means-when-your-meat-tastes-gamey/

why are people so scared of texture and flavour in their meat? i don't want all my meat to be so cooked as to have no resistance whatsover to my teeth. i WANT to be able to bite into something, not just have it melt on my tongue. meat SHOULD have some texture, dammit! and i don't want all my meat to taste so goddamned bland that the only way it can be rescued is to pile a ton of spices and other additives into the cooking process. gamey is GOOD. as i mentioned before, the umaminess is, for me, crazy goodness!

Tooth brag.
 
What is the rake thing :confused:

If you're too little to have the strength to snap the neck and kill them instantly you take the chicken and you put on the ground, and you put a rake between the head and the body, grab by the back legs, hold the rake down and pull up. It pulls the head off and snaps the neck, like you do when you snap the neck by hand, but it requires less strength so little kids can do it.

The goal is to prevent pain or suffering like what would happen if you tried to do it by hand and fucked it up. Like you're not supposed to hurt them and that's drilled into you. You're not torturing them, you're just killing them so you can eat them and it needs to be an instant, painless death. You'd get in really big trouble if you hurt them. Hence my gramps getting the ass-whooping from his mom. It wasn't just that he tore up her kitchen, it was that he caused unnecessary suffering to an animal.
 
Back
Top