0 for 29

The officer must set the performance standard for the troops. In boot camp my drill instructor did everything we did, better.

Your DI was an Enlisted man.. of course he was supposed to do everything better.
I expect officers to be smarter, not stronger than the troops.
That notwithstanding, I certainly don't want the Marines or any other armed forces branch to lower physical standards because I would want the Platoon Leader or Company Commander to be able to keep up with the troops in any possible situation. The Officers should be every bit as strong as the troops and smarter in the arts of war as well.

The officer must set the performance standard for the troops. In boot camp my drill instructor did everything we did, better.

The question is "how much better"? If the "performance standard for the troops" is the same standard set by an officer who has passed the CET, then it stands to reason that the average enlisted Marine, male or female - not to mention the average OC applicant, is not going to meet that standard of combat readiness.

The special ops troops in all the armed forces are trained to the highest standard of superior strength and endurance because of the specialized nature of the missions they are charged with carrying out.

Most infantry officers and non-coms lead the average infantry soldier who has graduated from boot camp. The Marine Corps seems to have created an unnecessary or inadvisable gap of "combat endurance" between enlistees and officers facing identical combat challenges in identical theaters of operation.

I don't like the idea of lower standards to accommodate others. They are standards for a reason. For example, I've read that in order to be a fireman, you have to be able to carry a 175lb person down a flight of stairs. If they lower the standards, then people die.

The question is "how much better"? If the "performance standard for the troops" is the same standard set by an officer who has passed the CET, then it stands to reason that the average enlisted Marine, male or female - not to mention the average OC applicant, is not going to meet that standard of combat readiness.

The special ops troops in all the armed forces are trained to the highest standard of superior strength and endurance because of the specialized nature of the missions they are charged with carrying out.

Most infantry officers and non-coms lead the average infantry soldier who has graduated from boot camp. The Marine Corps seems to have created an unnecessary or inadvisable gap of "combat endurance" between enlistees and officers facing identical combat challenges in identical theaters of operation.

Look at the day one 'cut' rates for male vs female officers. If the course is designed so that virtually everyone passes then it's rather useless as a winnowing device. And it appears that approx. 80+% of the males made the cut. Not an unreasonable figure.

As far as 'elite' troops go, the Marines are the "shock troops" of infantry battle. And that is even more so today where they are the first deployed as the tip of the spear to various trouble spots. The marines do train to a higher standard because they are the ones that are going to find themselves on foreign shores with meager support and outnumbered as well.

Given their mission and doctrine I can find no fault with their training curriculum.

Ishmael

Look at the day one 'cut' rates for male vs female officers. If the course is designed so that virtually everyone passes then it's rather useless as a winnowing device. And it appears that approx. 80+% of the males made the cut. Not an unreasonable figure.

As far as 'elite' troops go, the Marines are the "shock troops" of infantry battle. And that is even more so today where they are the first deployed as the tip of the spear to various trouble spots. The marines do train to a higher standard because they are the ones that are going to find themselves on foreign shores with meager support and outnumbered as well.

Given their mission and doctrine I can find no fault with their training curriculum.

Ishmael

Quit living in the past, old man. The Marines haven't been the "tip of the spear" since Korea.

Ishmael

My bad. I read right over the fact that the CET was only the first day of the overall course. In that case, 80% going on past the first day seems perfectly reasonable.

Quit living in the past, old man. The Marines haven't been the "tip of the spear" since Korea.

Is that what you told yourself when the Marine recruiter sized you up and pointed down the hall to the Army recruiting office?

I didn't take it personally at the time when the Marine recruiter assessed that I would not meet their standards, much less harbor a grudge the way you do 35 years later. That must have really stung.

I've been privileged to work with a lot of Marines over the years and to a man I found them congenial, confident and well able to handle themselves. Not a one have I ever met that seemed spoiling for a fight the way you always seem to be. Did you always have that chip on our shoulder? Maybe it wasn't the weight that that recruiter was concerned about, maybe he was just a good judge of character.

My bad. I read right over the fact that the CET was only the first day of the overall course. In that case, 80% going on past the first day seems perfectly reasonable.

I thought that might have slipped past you. They had the numbers all jumbled together there, I had to read that through twice to get it sorted out.

Ishmael

I don't quite understand why the combat skills and physical prowess of an officer need be substantially superior to an enlistee. It would seem that a good argument could be made that the officer candidates are being asked to achieve an unrealistically high standard or that the combat skills of the enlistees are marginal if not inadequate. I would be particularly concerned if the latter were true.

I would think the real value of a combat officer has far more to do with his ability to form an intelligent strategy and clearly communicate how to execute it than the number of additional push-ups he could do over and above his subordinates.

Leaders lead by example. An example of excellence compels and inspires. There is no way that you can exclude intelligence as a matter of fact from strength but if your officers are soft, the troops will become a reflection of reality no matter how smart their CO thinks she is...

Is that what you told yourself when the Marine recruiter sized you up and pointed down the hall to the Army recruiting office?

I didn't take it personally at the time when the Marine recruiter assessed that I would not meet their standards, much less harbor a grudge the way you do 35 years later. That must have really stung.

I've been privileged to work with a lot of Marines over the years and to a man I found them congenial, confident and well able to handle themselves. Not a one have I ever met that seemed spoiling for a fight the way you always seem to be. Did you always have that chip on our shoulder? Maybe it wasn't the weight that that recruiter was concerned about, maybe he was just a good judge of character.

Well said.

The state was the same. Most supervisors were gals, and when they had to deal with angry males or had to send someone out to Deliverance RFD in the dark of night to see a psycho, they summoned a guy. I once took a guy into custody (5/29/1995) who's now on death row at the state prison.

http://murderpedia.org/male.D/d/davis-adam.htm

Alvin Morton and Bobby Garner are two lads I knew well.

http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/morton-alvin-leroy.htm

Hank Earl Carr wasn't on my caseload but two females in his home were. One witnessed the murder of the little boy. The judge refused to let me remove the minor female from the home prior to the murder of the male child.

http://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/carr-hank-earl-photos.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaders lead by example. An example of excellence compels and inspires. There is no way that you can exclude intelligence as a matter of fact from strength but if your officers are soft, the troops will become a reflection of reality no matter how smart their CO thinks she is...

Marine Corps officers and non commissioned officers lead from the front, they don't ask their Marines to do anything they themselves aren't more than capable of demonstrating themselves. Officers are expected to inspire their Marines to victory, making physical demands upon them in the process they never would have believed they were capable of, this is done by example, by being physically capable of leading men who are already some of the best conditioned in the world. It's not a job you can pretend to do, you have to convince some every tough people you have the physical ability to impose your will on them, by personal example. The most dangerous man in the world is a Marine Corps Captain with a mission.

I do not think that non-Marines will ever understand this.

Seals and the like can, but not those who enjoy their protection and can only imagine what they go through.

"Leadership" does not equate to "I can do moar pushups than you". :rolleyes:

That sort of mindset helps to explain how we lost in Vietnam.

Back