Amazons new payment method, based on Pages Read.

jezzaz

Really Experienced
Joined
May 11, 2013
Posts
266
You guys seen this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...o-pay-Kindle-authors-only-for-pages-read.html

I gotta believe this is a hoax. Because if Amazon is still charging full purchase price for a book, then they've gotta be heading for the largest - and most easily won I imagine - class action lawsuit in history.

Paying authors based on pages read? Seriously? What's next, Paying Hollywood based on minutes watched of a TV box set?

Man, this is a cash grab of unbelievable proportions. Amazon has never really been the authors friend when it comes to money, but this truly takes the biscuit. And the cup cake too, while they are at it.
 
This article isn't very clear, I've read elsewhere that Amazon are only intending to use this system in Kindle Unlimited, which I think is a service that you subscribed to, kind like a lending library.
 
This has nothing to do with regular Kindle eBooks...just those enrolled in Kindle Unlimited. Amazon was losing money, so they changed the way they payout the fund to authors.
 
No hoax, but Zeb's right, it's only for Kindle Unlimited and Kindle Owner Lending Library downloads, which means the cost will be the same to the readers as always - a flat monthly subscription fee for KU or just free for KOLL. I think it's less about Amazon losing money on the KU/KOLL program (Though they're certainly not going to lose any by changing it!) and more a reaction to complaints of authors with books in the program and an attempt to manipulate the kinds of books in the program.

Under the previous payment system, all books, regardless of length or purchase price, received the same share of the global download fund. For a year, it's been around $1.35 per download, which is a great deal for the author with a bunch of 3k word separate stories and terrible for the one with a 120k word sci-fi opus.
 
This has nothing to do with regular Kindle eBooks...just those enrolled in Kindle Unlimited. Amazon was losing money, so they changed the way they payout the fund to authors.

Part of it, I think, is to thwart the writers who learned they could put out a 500 word book with a catchy cover and blurb then get paid the moment the book was opened and met the 10% requirement.
 
I hope that the new system will get me some protection from the ass holes who download and read my books and then back out.
 
I hope that the new system will get me some protection from the ass holes who download and read my books and then back out.

Nope. It won't make a difference for returns of sales, unfortunately. You do get paid for the total number of pages read on KU/KOLL downloads no matter how much of the book gets read now. Before, to get paid, a reader had to read at least 10% of your book.

I did a blog post last week about this using real numbers to show the difference. If anyone's interested, just PM me about it
 
Back
Top