What are the smuttiest, most erotic non-"romance" books you've read?

I've only seen the film of American Psycho but I knwo the scene you mean and found it erotic. Any book by Houllebecque (most probably spelt incottectly) has lots of sex in it. I think Platform is one that has scenes that got me aroused a lot.
 
This is a little off topic, as the book is explicitly about sex, but Nancy Friday books gave me teenage kicks. She compiled a book of real women's fantasies and I think it was the fact they were genuine that made it so exciting. Has anyone else read books by her?
 
I'm looking for the smuttiest, most erotic books you can think of that aren't (a) anything that you would normally find in the "romance" section of the bookstore and (b) aren't anything you would find at an "adult" bookstore. Mystery, science fiction, nonfiction, what have you; I'm looking for the most gratuitous of them all :)

If you know of a murder mystery or sci-fi story that happens to be classified as romance, post it anyway. Even gay-themed stuff is cool so long as it's not entirely a coming-out story.

An example of what I'm looking for is The Poison Tree, by Tony Strong. It's a murder mystery but somehow the author managed to randomly work in ridiculously explicit "Dear Penthouse" letters throughout the text. You'd never tell how smutty it is based on the jacket. His other book is somewhat erotic but he transitions every time things start to heat up.

An example of what I'm NOT looking for is anything that is, first and foremost, a pornographic or romance novel. If it's called "Hot Housewife in Heat" or features Fabio or flowers on the cover, it's probably not what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

:D great read
 
Anything by Eric Jerome Dickey is amazing. The way he works erotica into a story is just downright amazing, and its still a NYTimes Best seller!
 
This is a little off topic, as the book is explicitly about sex, but Nancy Friday books gave me teenage kicks. She compiled a book of real women's fantasies and I think it was the fact they were genuine that made it so exciting. Has anyone else read books by her?

Yep, I have her stuff on by bedroom bookshelf.
 
I have read all of Nancy Friday's books and think she is great. Was aroused most of the time, but I am anyway so maybe it wasn't the books.
 
You can do well by Marguerite Duras, especially The Lover, or Hiroshima Mon Amour. Her writing is unbelievably sensual.

Oh, and pretty much anything by D M Thomas...White Hotel, or Swallow. A bit like Nabokov, he has an ability to experiment with narrative and sex in very cool ways...sometimes, it seems like the narrative structure is humping your mind. He is good enough to do that on purpose.
 
Haunted and Choke by Chuck Palanhiuk are both pretty smutty. I learned the term 'pegging' from the first one.
 
Have to agree with everyone on John Ringo, Laurell K. Hamilton and Jaqueline Carey (especially the first three books in the kushiel series).
Have read one of Piers Anthony's stories, Knave, it was nice but not very memorable (but that is how I think of most of hi books).
You could also try Sarah Waters, if you are into lesbian. Best one is tipping the velvet. This has also been made into a BBC miniseries. Very good story with lots of steamy sex scenes.
I always like JD Robb. (a pen name for Nora Roberts) She writes this in death series, about a new york police person. It plays sligtly in the future, but that is more so the auhor can get away with flying cars then anything else. Some of the sex scenes in these books are very interesting. Easy to read books, and lots of them, she has written more then 20 in the series so far, and does some genuine character development, so the stay interesting.
 
Two series that I would recommend are The Gap Cycle by Stephen R. Donaldson and the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton.

The Gap Cycle has a lot of explicit sex, especially in the first three books. In one scene, the heroine is taken by a pirate captain on the bridge of a starship in front of the entire crew.

Night's Dawn has explicit scenes throught the series, but especially in the first two books. The main character gets more tail than James Bond.

I highly recommend these books, which are science fiction masterpieces even without the sex.
 
The Sleeping Beauty series (3 volumns) by A.N. Roquelaure (aka: Anne Rice). Kinky as it gets and Anne Rice rocks anyway.


Those are the three that came to mind for me too. Read them along time ago, was maybe a little Sub/Dom theme, if I remember correctly. Very erotic.
 
Anything by V.C. Andrews

Of course I was 15 when I reading them....lol, might actually be more tame than I remember
 
Has anyone read the series that starts with Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. It's really smutty in places. Not all the way through but when I read it in high school I was shocked.

The first has non-consensual cross-species (humanoid) sex and from the second book onwards there are quite explicit sex scenes.
 
Anything by V.C. Andrews

Of course I was 15 when I reading them....lol, might actually be more tame than I remember

I read those in high school and I thought they were kind of hot but they are far tamer than the Clan of the Cave Bear books I mentioned above.
 
Some of my favourites ...
Ulysses by James Joyce
The Ginger Man by J P Donleavy
Sabbath’s Theatre by Philip Roth
Mantissa by John Fowles
Angelica’s Grotto by Russell Hoban
The Dying Animal by Philip Roth
... and all 'proper' books
 
The Earth's Children Series by Jean M. Auel
The whole thing, but it gets smuttier as the books go on.

EDIT: The first book wasn't notably smutty as the majority of the sex was glossed over, what with being rape and all. But it's still important to read the first one as the female protagonist's backstory has a pretty firm hand in the plot.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top