Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen that photo of the eye.
What happens in the smoke tends to be ignored round here. :)

Interesting conicidence: The first ferris wheel opened to the public in Chicago 125 years ago this week.

32f4abba4b1e4e0c59ebe99d126510d0.jpg

The daughter of a work colleague’s partner asked him recently if it’s true you can buy a strawberry sundae on a Saturday. She’s 20.

I hadn't thought that chocolate & strawberry were that alike. . :)

Strawberries are associated with the Summer Solstice, a time of sexual licence and role reversal, pretty much around the Northern Hemisphere, from Canada's Cree to Scandinavia's Swedes.

Chocolate (Xocolotl in Nahuatl) was the Central American elixir of the gods and aphrodisiac supreme.

For us modern North Americans, Chocolate rules the season from Hallowe'en to Easter; Strawberries reign over the summer season. Together, there is completeness, yin and yang in one, all pleasures are possible.

Have fun, HP.

Strawberries are associated with the Summer Solstice, a time of sexual licence and role reversal, pretty much around the Northern Hemisphere, from Canada's Cree to Scandinavia's Swedes.

Chocolate (Xocolotl in Nahuatl) was the Central American elixir of the gods and aphrodisiac supreme.

For us modern North Americans, Chocolate rules the season from Hallowe'en to Easter; Strawberries reign over the summer season. Together, there is completeness, yin and yang in one, all pleasures are possible.

Have fun, HP.

Thank you for that bit of knowledge:
And that reminder that I have some strawberries in my 'fridge.

Is that the same as theobromine ?
Theobromine is the active agent. Theobromos is the food's name. At least, that's what Kage Baker said in her Company books. Her manufactured immortal time-traveling slaves were addicted to theobromos. Much hilarity in the scene in the Ghirardelli Chocolate tasting room.

Kage Baker, born in Hollywood CA, "before becoming a professional writer... spent many years in theater, including teaching Elizabethan English as a second language."

I consider her an authority.

"Theo" = supreme deity; "bromos" = oats

Both from the Greek. Oats were a staple food, so "Theobromos" could mean "God's food." "Bromos," of course, is also the root of the modern English word "bromide," which refers to either a chemical compound incorporating bromine or a platitude/cliché (perhaps from oatmeal being 'pap'). In this case, I guess "theobromos" would be "god's platitudes", akin to Marx's "opiate of the masses," but possibly a bit more accurate regarding religion.

It really is amazing how often a bit of understanding of ancient Geek or Latin can really help with understanding.

It really is amazing how often a bit of understanding of ancient Geek or Latin can really help with understanding.

Unfortunately, classical languages have been dropped from so many high schools' curricula. Latin in particular. When my daughters' school dropped it, I had a discussion with the Headmaster and received the usual excuse: it's not really used anymore, its help in understanding other languages is minimal, and they only taught it for one year anyway. I pointed out that it was the lingua franca of scholarship for nearly two thousand years, and even just one year of study would ensure that our students would maintain that connection.

Besides, even into the early Twentieth Century, the naughty bits were always written in Latin so the hoi polloi wouldn't be titillated. Even in my most liberal field, a 1912 publication from the American Museum of Natural History recorded this expression of a Chipewyan myth: "He turned to the younger sister, et sub vestum manum introduxit; sed aliquid prehendare connatus est, and he pulled it back." We wouldn't want our students to miss out on those.

Unfortunately, classical languages have been dropped from so many high schools' curricula. Latin in particular.

Going back more than 40 years ago, I can remember Latin being offered as an option for English credits in high school.

Course, I can also remember having the option of being a photographer for the school newspaper and/or yearbook counting as English credits too. While it made almost no sense at all, I took full advantage of that loophole to wipe out more than half of the requirement for graduation.

Going back more than 40 years ago, I can remember Latin being offered as an option for English credits in high school.

Course, I can also remember having the option of being a photographer for the school newspaper and/or yearbook counting as English credits too. While it made almost no sense at all, I took full advantage of that loophole to wipe out more than half of the requirement for graduation.

Easy way out. We had English, then Latin, then French. But most of us felt we needed more, and so in Sophmore year, we all (80 of us - a small school) independently studied another language - Greek, Spanish, Norwegian, Yiddish, German,... I took Irish Gaelic.

Easy way out. We had English, then Latin, then French. But most of us felt we needed more, and so in Sophmore year, we all (80 of us - a small school) independently studied another language - Greek, Spanish, Norwegian, Yiddish, German,... I took Irish Gaelic.

When I was at school, not long after the end of the Second World War, several of our masters had 'seen service'. The deputy headmaster, who also taught French, had been in some clandestine unit in south-west France. Max's idea of a 40-minute French class was a couple of minutes of French grammar, a handful of 'useful words', half an hour or so of discussion about French food and wine (wine, in particular) while listening to Edith Piaf, and a hurried suggestion to read Chapter Whatever in the textbook before the next lesson. After a year of Max's tuition, I found that I could read a French menu, and I was more than confident to argue the toss with any sommelier who had failed to do their homework. Funnily enough, I discovered that I could also read Maupassant, Gide, et al in French. Perhaps there was method in Max's madness. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back