Claymore and Dagger (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Lynn?" Marianne gasped in surprise, sitting forward to catch the boy as she couldn't stand to meet him. Muddy or not, she scooped him up into her lap and hugged him tightly, kissing his forehead. It seemed at his presence, Marianne lit up and came alive. "Did you come all the way here just with Mako?" She asked, looking up to the handsome young Wolf.

"Sure did," Mako nodded with a smile though he was clearly exhausted. "He's a champion rider."

"... And it seems Kate's prediction was correct. Scotland has a prince," Warwick spoke up with a soft smile of his own. "Brogan Damien Aleister."
 
"Mama and Da said it was alright." Lynndon said as his grandmother wrapped him up tightly in her arms, a grin on his little face as she kissed him and showered him with attention. "Guess what? I have a new baby sister. Her name is Andra. Mama said when the war is over and it is safer, she'll bring her here to Edinburgh to meet everyone. Jamie too."

"Sam will be relieved to hear the news about his newest nephew." Fiona said with a smile as she saw Warwick visibly relax. "And probably work all the harder to protect Scotland for him too."
 
"You be sure to take good care of her," Marianne murmured to Lynndon, still holding him tightly as if he was her lifeline. This made Warwick smile and relax as well, his worry for Marianne lightened at least for a while. They would have to let Lynndon know soon that things weren't very safe, but Warwick knew the royal guard and Kell's men would defend the former queen's grandson at all costs. Kate and Kell and those who remembered Gale had long since pledged to make Marianne as happy as possible in her old age.
 
"I brought you some things. They took them to my bedroom, so I'll get them later." Lynn murmured, hugging his grandmother tightly as she beamed.

"Mako, join us for a while and rest. I know you'll be returning to Inverness soon enough." Fiona said as to motioned to a chair by the fire.
 
"I'm afraid I can't, lots of letters that need to be hand-delivered. Time sensitive, some of them, and for certain people's eyes only." Mako gave Fiona a smile. "I'll probably head back in the morning once I have any return letters." He bowed his head to Marianne. "Your Majesty. Lynn, you be good for her, I'll see you soon." With that, he trotted out and down the hall.
 
It was clear that Lynndon wasn't going to cause an ounce of trouble for his grandmother. He adored her and looking into her gaze, he had a little grin that wasn't going to go away. He simply hugged her tightly and relaxed, knowing that any time he had with her was incredibly precious.
 
After about an hour, Sam finally walked in, having heard Lynn was there. "Hiya, lad," he murmured, coming to ruffle the boy's hair fondly. "If we'd 'ave known yer Ma was sendin' you here, we'd 'ave brought you with us on th'dragons."
 
"I had to bug her a lot to get her to agree." Lynn said with a grin towards his cousin, explaining why he had suddenly decided to come to Edinburgh after they had left. "And she finally said I could come. Besides, I had to help Da a while longer since he's baking more and more bread for the troops."

Fiona chuckled and looked towards Sam as he listened intently to his cousin's explanation. "You have a nephew, love. Brogan Damien Aleister."
 
Sam paused at Fiona's words, looking over to her with clear interest tempered with a bit of worry. "Are they alright? Did Kate come out of it okay?"
 
"She wrote a letter to Warwick. Said that he was a bit sickly but she was in love." Fiona said as Sam's demeanor suddenly changed at the mention of his nephew. "It sounds as if he's a true cub."
 
"... I'll try t' be done by tomorrow night so we can get back," Sam muttered, turning to leave once more before pausing. "... Kell's men are free to focus here, if you want t'take some time t'relax, love."
 
"We'll see." Fiona said, wanting him to stay, but knowing she didn't have the right to ask him that when he had duties to attend to.
 
"Samuel," Marianne spoke up, making Sam turn back to face her. "Make sure you're back for dinner. We're going to sit down and have s proper meal, no work involved."

"... Yes ma'am," Sam nodded before pausing to look to Fiona. "I could still use yer help if y'don't want t'take here, love."
 
"Sam, I understand that you're busy. I'll be alright." Fiona said, giving him a small smile. "I promise. I'll see you for dinner."
 
Sam nodded, but he stepped over to kiss her before finally heading out to continue with his work.

Marianne chuckled softly to herself once he was gone. "He's always been so odd. Cold and stony, then one fleeting moment of affection. He carries it much better than Tamblin, but sometimes I almost think Sam is what Tamblin would've been if Kitty had managed to save him."
 
"Oh, I'm not done with Sam. He still has a very long way to go." Fiona said with a shake of her head as Marianne made comment on the amount of affection he was willing to share with her. "I agreed to marry him, but he has a lot to prove."
 
"Good. Don't let him get comfortable being a grump again." Marianne nodded and then sighed. "He has far too many demons. Most of his own making, but enough has happened since Rhodan lost his arm that it's all compounded into one huge mountain on his shoulders."
 
"He's too serious." Lynndon agreed. "Even more serious than Ruben. At least Ruben lets Katya and Timmel have fun with everyone else."

Lynn rested his head against Marianne's shoulder, relaxing in her arms with a long sigh. He was completely comfortable there with her, learning about his real father and their family. He knew she was very ill but he did his best to make sure that she was happy when he was around.

"Would you come to my room with me, Grandma? I want to change and have a snack." Lynn asked, looking up at Marianne.
 
"I'm afraid Grandma's having a hard time walking lately, my love," Marianne murmured, stroking her fingers through his hair. Lynndon was a smart boy and he'd know that such weakness was a sure sign that she was wasting away. She didn't want to keep it from him. Of all people, he deserved to know.

"Why don't you go and change, and I'll meet you in the private dining room?" Marianne offered with a smile. "Warwick will see I get there."
 
"Alright." Lynn said, hugging his grandmother tightly as she admitted that she couldn't walk very well any longer. "I'll help you feel better. I promise."

He knew that there wasn't much he could do for her, but he also knew that he made her very happy when he was there. That was why his Ma sent him back as often as they could spare, and sometimes even when times were tough. There was one year just before Jamie was born when there was a grain shortage meaning that there was less bread to bake. He could remember both of his parents eating less so that he could still come on his trip. He never, ever forgot that.
 
Later that evening, it seemed Sam kept his word to Fiona as he appeared in their guest room looking exhausted but still deadly calm and serious. He carelessly tossed aside his uniform jacket and kicked off his boots. That was out of character, as he typically kept his clothes in good order and ready to be put back on at a moment's notice when there was trouble around.
 
Fiona had already dressed for bed after Sam had missed dinner with everyone else. She figured he wouldn't be coming back but she was surprised to see him enter and toss aside his clothes. Glancing up from her book, she stared at him for a long moment.

"What's happened?" Fiona asked, knowing that something had to have happened if he were simply throwing aside his jacket.
 
"Jus' a rough day altogether..." Sam murmured, tossing his shirt before crawling into bed and simply letting himself fall to the sheets. There was no shifting around to get comfortable, no care that he'd missed dinner. He simply let out a deep breath and went still.
 
"Nothin' new," he muttered against the pillow. He just seemed far too mentally exhausted to care about anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top