Last chance to read my stories

I have requested deletion of everything I've posted to this site. On the off chance you've been planning to read my body of work, this is your last opportunity while my requests work through the site's queue.

Although scores are mostly still above 4, consistently negative feedback and the obvious long slow decay of scores indicates my writing is not a good fit for this site. I hoped to find "my" audience, but we never found each other. Either nobody shares my kinks, or my writing is inadequate to depict my kinks.

Meanwhile, I've watched new authors post stories that shot to above 4.5 on the first day and one jump into the all-time best list. I have studied the old masters here - authors with 20 or more stories rated above 4.5 - and I can't write the way they do.

I suspect stories posted since 2007 or sooner may have had an easier time finding readers. This site has become a large pond, and I am a little fish. That doesn't explain the big splash made by some new author though… I'm jealous of their talents and mass appeal.

The only advice I could possibly give would be to not lose faith, even under the crushing weight of adversity. I can't see what it'd hurt leaving the stories up. Your stories don't have bad scores really either. Whatever negativity you've allowed to discourage you is not real.

It can be frustrating to find an audience and know that your stories are being enjoyed as much as you enjoy them. But honestly, the only real reason to have ever written in the first place was if you yourself enjoyed it.

All we can do is live and learn. If we wanna be better writers we gotta learn from the good and the bad, and put in the work, but know the work has to be fun too. If Lit doesn't seem enjoyable any more, I wouldn't stay either. But don't let yourself be easily discouraged by the nicks and bruises. And keep writing. Keep learning.

Best wishes
 
Your view count is disappointing? If not, you do have an audience here. You might try shifting to a new name and just not posting to the forum and see what that does. They are heavily into voting games here. If you are still obsessed about competition then, though, yes, perhaps it's best not to post stories on the Internet, where voting games are rampant.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the best wishes.

I have too much ego/libido tied up in my fantasies. I think I posted here for the wrong reasons. I can't share some of my fantasies with my lover for fear of rejection. I posted here hoping to find like-minded readers. I wanted my kinks validated, and I desperately wanted to feel like I am able to arouse readers. Mediocre reader reception here equates to "they just aren't that into you."

I'm in an emotional state where I mourn the loss of my youth and physical attractiveness. I'm not suffering the (at best) luke warm criticism of my mental attractiveness very well. In other words, I am not emotionally secure enough to be exhibiting my psyche to a mass audience.

I'm surprised other authors with less than stellar scores aren't demoralized. Writing erotica is a very exhibitionist and revealing hobby. We are all opening our trench coats for a crowd. A low score means "your sexuality isn't very attractive, and you should feel bad" :eek:

Aye, I guess it could mean that in part. But a simpler more optimistic way to view it could be "Some people don't prefer what I write." It can seem like NO one likes what you write, but this isn't a realistic assumption. Its just a pessimistic one. Taking the negative and magnifying it.

Many of your stories have an average score of 4 or higher. In the very least, this means that there are some people that have read and enjoyed your stories enough to give it a rating, and a favorable one at that. Of course, scores here really don't mean a whole awful lot. They are abused, and other than that, readers don't have to score at all. Its optional. I've also read very popular hall of fame stories that I really didn't care for, and many here will tell you that some stories with scores in the three range can actually be some of the greats that just weren't well received for one reason or another.

I wouldn't focus so much on the negative. (Easier said, I know) I write quite a bit, but as far as Lit, I don't submit many stories here. I usually just read. Stories I have submitted have been hit or miss. And I learn from every single one. Sure maybe some "newbies" can knock em outta the park. Some of the Vets submit daily and have put in the time and work to have built a vast fan base and reputation as good writers. But ultimately, you can only compare yourself to them so much. You have to just do you and write what you love. Nothing else matters.

There will be tons that don't like your writing. And they will probably be the most vocal. If they are being constructive and helpful, consider their advice and learn from the situation. If they are just saying "this sucks" then they are just telling you THEIR taste and theirs alone. They aren't indicative of every person. Many times the people that give you 4's don't say a word. Don't let the people that didn't like your work drown out those that were pleased and probably silent.

As for your feeling alone or what have you with your fantasies, everyone feels this way about SOMETHING. It may not be that you have to audience for your kinks. Trust me. There is. It may just be that you still haven't reached them or found the right writing to. Keep honing your skills and keep submitting. Write what makes you hot, and as long as you enjoy it, then you've lost nothing. Then, you may be surprised to find your niche. To find a style or something that works.
 
A couple of your stories are great. I will be honest, some of the kinks or fantasies you have written about I am not in to at all, however this does not mean they are not good stories in their own right. If you take a look at the number of readers you have attracted then you should be pleased with that, it's not all about scores. If one person out of the 1000s which read them can relate to your story, even get turned on by it then job done.

You have written quite a few stories, far more than me and also far more than the majority of members on this site. Kinks, fantasies or even 'true life' experiences are very subjective and may not appeal to every reader, each to their own which is what this site is all about.

As for bad feedback, my first story was placed in the wrong catagory which resulted in a bitch fight between a couple of readers attacking me for placing it there rather than comments on the story itself, but on the flip side there were quite a few readers who defended my decision (which I really appreciated). I must admit being my first story I made mistakes and did take some of the comments personally, but I continued and learned to take the rough with the smooth. Even though my stories contain fact, fiction and fantasy, the story is not 100% about me therefore I learned to detatch myself away from the personal hits and continue with the story, after all it's the enjoyment of writing them, positive feedback and high scores are a welcome bonus.

Personally it would be a real shame for you to delete them from here as they are well written and keep your attention. Keep going, explore your ideas and continue with the writing, but don't take it all to heart.
 
Something you could do--bundle some like stories up and publish them at Amazon and Smashwords. If they start making money for you, you get all the validation you need on whether there is a market for them and you can just brush aside any games going on with them here on Literotica--while still posting stories to Literotica to reach whatever audience you have.

For instance, one of my Christmas contest stories is already in the marketplace and has earned a couple of hundred dollars. The gamers here, though, keep it under a 4.5. But it's already making good money, so the joke's on them.
 
Well, then good-bye, I guess. You're the best judge of what you need to motivate you to continue to share your work openly.

Posting about it isn't going to improve anything for you. It's a signal to your detractors that what they're doing is working. That's not going to change by you posting about it.
 
The feedback I receive comes in a few general types:
1) Some readers complement the writing style but don't mention the content or eroticism. I'll take it.
2) Some readers write "hawt" or similar. I assume the story aroused them, and it pleases me very much.
3) Some readers blast the writing style: "Your writing is so bad I couldn't finish a page", "You write like a 10 year old"
4) Some readers go for the personal attack: "You are a man hating lesbian cunt who deserves to be forever alone", "You suck", etc. This is by far the largest group.
5) Some readers attack the content: "You don't know what you're talking about", "You hate disabled people", "You're a fucking bitch for ruining the story" At least these readers were invested in the story.
6) Some readers are incomprehensible: "Smooth. I enjoyed it. 3*"

For insecure ego reasons, what I really hoped to hear was a simple "That aroused me". I received two feedback messages like that. They made my day.

In the end though, the comments and feedback aren't driving me away. It's the continuously declining scores. I've been teetering on the edge for a while. Several Literotica authors advised me to wait for my audience to find me. They not only aren't finding me, but the "haters" are finding me. I watched story after story drop from mid 4s to mid 3s. I've been deleting stories all along whenever they drop below 3.0. I know I don't read anything scored less than 3.0. I seldom read anything scored less than 4.5. I have limited reading time, and I don't want to waste it on drivel.

This site has hundreds of thousands of stories and doesn't need more mediocre submissions. I must say though, I really am jealous of the many authors who have long lists of stories rated above 4.5. I envy their talent and their ability to appeal to the masses.

You just listed every type of feedback possible. :)

Every author here experiences this kind of feedback. I would just say to focus on the positive. You're getting views and some scores that aren't at all shameful to have. There's plenty that have read and enjoyed your story by the looks of it, so focus on pleasing yourself and those fans and keep away from all that depressing negative. Keep at it, keep getting better, give them more stories to read, and build a fan base that recognises you and enjoys your work. Nothing happens overnight.

Things aren't as bad as they may seem to you.
 
Personally, I don't care much about ratings. I put my stories out there, and rarely every check back on how well they score. Often only when submitting a new one. I know I have a red H or two, rest of the stories score quite well. Most >4 so I'm good.

Negative comments I guess are harder to deal with. They're so in your face... and oftentimes just rude and stupid. I'm lucky to not get such bashing; but then I'd love to have a few more comments from people now and then. Especially if they like my stories.

I write them because I enjoy doing so; I put some extra work in it to polish the thing before posting, and after that I just hope someone has a good time reading it. And for those that don't like my work, they can just close that tab and move to the next story. I haven't posted anything on Smashwords yet though I have one that I'm seriously considering posting there - before posting it here as well - mainly as experiment. Now if only I get around to finish it up :)
 
Go or stay, it's up to you. Will leaving your stories here affect you negatively? Will removing them affect you positively? Do you truly need high approval ratings? Why do you write and post stories?
 
If you write about subjects that some will find distasteful (BDSM, cheating, gay), you're going to get some haters: Been there, done that.
And yes, I did back away for a few months because of some of the nasty comments on my first story here, but I decided not to let them win ... What you do is up to you.
 
Well, then good-bye, I guess. You're the best judge of what you need to motivate you to continue to share your work openly.

Posting about it isn't going to improve anything for you. It's a signal to your detractors that what they're doing is working. That's not going to change by you posting about it.

Not often I agree without reservation with sr, but he is right.

You write great prose, terse and pointed. Some adverse comments shouldn't put you off. This is a great platform to display your talent - and you do! The scores your stories have are at levels that many writers here would die for. In Lit terms you are a great success.

No-one gets a 5-average here and perhaps you should write more in past rather than present tense.

If you walk away from Lit you won't find a better site for erotic stories or publicity. Get a thicker skin - many more people like you than think you're rubbish. Leave your stories up and roll with the punches. All authors do.

:rose::rose:
 
Have you noticed scores steadily dropping? My stories seem to peak about a day after they leave the "new" list and then every vote after seems to lower the score.

Your scores are about on par with mine (highest is 4.49 and average is around 4.2 or so); and no, I really haven't noticed any significant change other than the fact that readership drops off dramatically once I drop off the "New" list

Maybe people who find the stories via search are disappointed? Could it be the tags are misleading?

I know I have been "One-bombed" at least once because the reader didn't think my story belonged in that particular category, so that is a possibility
 
Story scores

I have requested deletion of everything I've posted to this site. On the off chance you've been planning to read my body of work, this is your last opportunity while my requests work through the site's queue.

Although scores are mostly still above 4, consistently negative feedback and the obvious long slow decay of scores indicates my writing is not a good fit for this site. I hoped to find "my" audience, but we never found each other. Either nobody shares my kinks, or my writing is inadequate to depict my kinks.

Meanwhile, I've watched new authors post stories that shot to above 4.5 on the first day and one jump into the all-time best list. I have studied the old masters here - authors with 20 or more stories rated above 4.5 - and I can't write the way they do.

I suspect stories posted before 2007 or sooner may have had an easier time finding readers. This site has become a large pond, and I am a little fish. That doesn't explain the big splash made by some new authors though… I'm jealous of their talents and mass appeal.

I have written only 3 stories and have not even seen scores. I wrote them mainly for showing myself to others. What the Heck, Some you win, some you lose. The message is do something you like doing and don't bother about scores.
 
I liked the story I read of yours the other day. It was a great story. A writer is never going to please all their readers. Besides, there's always going to be readers on Lit who make a game of who can be the biggest ass in the comments because they're miserable sob's. Write what you want and to hell with everything else. Pilot made a good suggestion about self-publishing. At least you could earn some $ for your stories that way.
 
Thank you for the kind words. I've decided to leave a few of my less controversial stories here for a while at least. You are correct that there is no better site for erotic stories. If I put them anywhere, it might as well be here.

Thank you everyone for encouragement. Have you noticed scores steadily dropping? My stories seem to peak about a day after they leave the "new" list and then every vote after seems to lower the score. Maybe people who find the stories via search are disappointed? Could it be the tags are misleading?

I think the opposite. There is a tendency for scores for successful authors to fall, generally because the trolls like voting down popular writers.

I haven't read all your stories yet but if Lit accepts them they can't be too controversial. Laurel is a stickler.

Please leave them all up and roll with the punches. A writer with a thin skin is like a pilot with a fear of flying.

What did the guy say? "Publish and be damned". You's good and would be a loss if you quit Lit, but it's your decision.
 
A writer is never going to please all their readers.

I agree. No matter what you write about, some are going to love and some are going to hate it.
My personal observation, for what it's worth, is that some of the most popular stories involve some of the most controversial subject matter, so you know they're going to get some nasty feedback from time to time

Besides, there's always going to be readers on Lit who make a game of who can be the biggest ass in the comments because they're miserable sob's. Write what you want and to hell with everything else.

I agree with this as well. After I posted my first story here, I thought I had crossed paths with Fred Phelps, himself; some of the attacks were that nasty.
I stayed away for six months; but after some discussion with a couple authors on another site, some of whom had personal experience the issue, I decided I wasn't going to let them win.
 
Please don't go

When I read a story I usually 'star' them. Most will get a 4* or 5* depending on the subject and content. As a non-native english speaker I don't really use writing or grammar style as a reason to downvote.

As for comments it always amazes me that some people put in the time to really pour some vitriol. Usually they are anonymous too. For me this would be a reason to /ignore them. If you really don't like a story use a vote and not a comment unless it is one with a sreasonbale written explanation why not. This to instruct both the reader (such as myself) and the author.

Of course this is all easy for me to say as I have not, yet, written any stories and published them here. But I would like for you to stay and keep publishing your stories. The few I have read so far I like very much.

Go by the motto 'Nil Desperado Carborundum' which is fake Latin for don't let the bastard grind you down. :D
 
Back
Top