Antibiotics & Yeast Infections

boston_bbw

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Nov 7, 2002
Posts
402
For many the 2 go hand in hand. So my question is with so many different treatments on the market what do you use? Do you find the 1 day treatment is enough? 3 day? Is the 7 day overkill? And if your only half way thru the antibiotic do you wait till your done? Or start treating while still on it? The single dose of diflucan from the doctor never seems to do the trick for me yet it's never been anything but yeast. Have tried doing the lots of yogurt and acidophillus while on the antibiotic but dosn't seem to help much.
 
My wife used to have trouble with this, but we found that as soon as we were told to put her on antibiotics, we would buy a new bottle of acidophillus, and start her on double doses of it ahead of the antibiotic by about 4 hours.

It cut down the severity of the yeast infection by about 60% and she has done this ever since we read about it somewhere.

It does help her out, not a cure for sure, but better than nothing.
 
You can always try the Diflucan and a 1 dose treatment.

I always get a script for the Diflucan along with the antibiotics but don't use it till I know I need to.
 
My daughter has this problem. Sometimes just eating yogurt while going thru the antibotic cycle will work.
 
and if you don't like yogurt... you can get pills from the health food store that contain the same active enzymes that yogurt has...

I usually go get the pills from the health food store the same day I get the antibiotic... and usually, can fend off a yeast infection before it starts...

one round of diflucan has never worked... always needed a second round... same with the one day vaginal treatments...

if you want the over the counter stuff, I think the three day is probaby a better choice... for me, it is, anyway...

but... I much prefer to head it off before it starts with the pills from the health food store...
 
I dont think I have a yeast infection or anything, but I'm curious here. How would you know if you have one? and what can you do to prevent getting one?
 
The stuff you mention from the health food store that has the "yogurt enzymes" is the acidophillus. I take that with t he antiobic anyway but it dosn't ward off a yeast infection.. not even sure why I take it other then my acupuncturist told me to years ago and I always have..
 
Willing and Unsure said:
I dont think I have a yeast infection or anything, but I'm curious here. How would you know if you have one? and what can you do to prevent getting one?

Also known as the itch that can't be scratched.

Look here.
 
Willing and Unsure said:
I dont think I have a yeast infection or anything, but I'm curious here. How would you know if you have one? and what can you do to prevent getting one?


Obvioulsly you've never had one or you would know without a doubt. lol

Just make sure if you get any of the symptoms see a DR before trying to self treat. (the first time at least) Once you know what it is you can deal with it on your own. I get soooo many a yr that I can tell at the very first sign.
 
daiseelady said:

one round of diflucan has never worked... always needed a second round... same with the one day vaginal treatments...

I had the same thing too...one round didn't cut it. I wonder why that is. I'm suspecting that those of us who usually go with OTC treatments as a first defense don't go to the trouble of getting a prescription unless it's really bad. I guess 1 diflucan is only good for really mild infections.
 
Because my GP doesnt like prescribing me antibiotics he advised me to use a tampon with a couple of drops of tea tree oil on as soon as the symptoms started.........since then I've never had a yeast infection last more than 48 hours with no more than a very mild irritation.

Marge
 
Tat2mom said:
You can always try the Diflucan and a 1 dose treatment.

I always get a script for the Diflucan along with the antibiotics but don't use it till I know I need to.

A friend of mine always has this problem, and that is the same thing she does except she doesn't do the one dose cream... just the diflucan.

I have to ask the more natural people that I know if they know about the teatree oil thing, this is a very helpful thread ya'll!
 
The stuff you mention from the health food store that has the "yogurt enzymes" is the acidophillus. I take that with t he antiobic anyway but it dosn't ward off a yeast infection..
A good probiotic has several species in addition to L. acidophilus. Problem is that taking orally doesn't reach the problem area. Mixing it in a vinegar/water douche works much better.

And Nizoral is equivalent to Diflucan. Also generic & cheaper for 7-10 days worth.
 
Vicious cycle

My first wife always seem to have either bladder or kidney infections. When she would go to the doctor about it, the doctor would prescribe antibiotics. The antibiotic would not only take care of the infection but it also killed off all the vagina's beneficial bacteria causing a yeast infection.

It was not until my wife went to work for an OB/GYN that the reason for her continual bladder infections was discovered. All the OB/GYN's staff were treated by another OB/GYN as per agreement with the doctor she worked for. After a couple of visits to the new OB/GYN, the doctor told my wife that her uretha opening to the outside was too small. It was not allowing the bladder to completely drain. The doctor enlarged the opening which was not pain free. After the procedure my wife did not get any more bladder infections nor yeast infections.
 
I hope the OP got that yeast infection cured sometime during the intervening decade.
 
This post was created 8 years before I became a pharmacist. So that begs the question.... Are the requirements met for me to answer the question? Hmm....

In all honesty, I want to answer the question anyway just because fuck it. You can always do the 1-day diflucan and then get a refill just in case. Or they may do the "Take 1 tablet now and 1 in 3 days." Or you may get the crazy ass doctors from my clinic who say to take Diflucan 150mg daily x 3 days. Seriously, my brain trips over itself every time I see that.... and I see it a lot.

As far as antibiotics goes, always finish them. Jesus people, this is why the superbugs are created. Too many antibiotics given out for non-sense and also people not taking the entire course of antibiotics.

And for the love of God, if you get metronidazole, do NOT drink alcohol. You will hate yourself for it. Not even a glass of wine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the original post is old, but women continue getting yeast infections. My wife had a number of them. Besides the antibiotics, the doc suggested she stop wearing panties to bed--which was OK by me.

In my opinion, prevention is better than getting an infection, then going through a cure. Here's what I found on the Internet:

How to Prevent Yeast Infections

By eHow Health Editor

A yeast infection is caused by an overgrowth of a fungus normally found in the body. The organism Candida albicans is usually responsible for most infections. It can be caused by a variety of reasons including tight clothing, feminine products, pregnancy, diabetes, and the use of certain medications. Here are some strategies that can help you prevent yeast infections.

Instructions

1. Dry vaginal area throughly after showering or swimming. A moist environment encourages the growth of yeast.

2. Avoid wearing tight clothing such as tight jeans, nylon panties, pantyhose, or clothing made of synthetic materials such as polyester. A tight, moist environment encourages the growth of yeast.

3. Wear cotton underwear and pantyhose with a cotton crotch.

4. Remove your wet bathing suit as soon as possible after swimming.

5. Wipe yourself after urinating or a bowel movement from front to back. This helps to avoid possible transfer of yeast from the rectum to the vagina.

6. Check diaper frequently for soiling. A moist environment encourages the growth of yeast.

7. Avoid douching. Douching disturbs normal vaginal pH balance which can lead to yeast infections.

8. Avoid use of feminine hygiene products such as feminine sprays and bubble baths. These products can be irritating to the vagina.

9. Avoid use of scented, deodorant or colored toilet paper, tampons, pads, or pantyliners. These products can be irritating to the vagina.

10. Use unscented pads and tampons during your menstrual period.

11. Use unscented and white toilet paper.

12. Eat yogurt that contains live cultures of lactobacilius acidophilis.

13. Decrease consumption of sugar. Increased sugar levels in your body causes yeast to grow faster.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_3872_prevent-yeast-infections.html
 
Back
Top