Naoko's news, views and shoes thread

Nos da, MP, Tio :kiss:

Bore da, HP! :) Are you going to go fishing?

The sun is shining and I'm deliberating whether to go to the beach. Tide is unfortunately high at 11.15 am, so it's not worth setting off for a bit. I am turning some laundry round in the machine and ignoring a huge pile of ironing.

I made scones this morning and had them hot - one with butter and Gentlemen's Relish :p , and the other with Philadelphia cream cheese and some home-made blackcurrant jam someone gave me. The rest of the scones I shall take to the beach for a picnic, together with a scotch egg from the butcher who makes them himself (and incredibly good they are too).

attachment.php

Now dahlinks, I am looking for some input into interior decorating decisions. The other day I went to the charity shop (thrift shop for American chums) and I found this set of tables which is absolutely perfect for serving afternoon tea on - as you can see it has wheels so you can wheel all the sandwiches-pickled-eggs-scotch-eggs-fruit-fruitcake-scones-jam-clotted-cream-and-biscuits round to everyone, and four little round tables which tuck neatly underneath it. I bought it for £5!!! I mean to paint it with 'chalky paint' which apparently is the right stuff for tables and chairs. Then I shall stick on decoupage pictures of jewels and other things from the FT Weekend 'How to Spend It' magazine, which I can't afford to buy and am just as happy to 'own' in cutout picture form.

attachment.php

You can get metallic paint to go under the chalky paint, and then you gently sandpaper or use a metal scourer to scratch some of the chalky paint off, giving the piece of furniture that 'distressed' antique sort of look. You can get silver or gold, and here are the chalky paint colours. Apparently there is sage green too, but the shop doesn't seem to do that one.

attachment.php

(The real life colours are of course nothing like these, but it gives you a bit of an idea.)

At first I thought of one of the lighter blues: duck egg (always love those slightly greenish blues: eau de nil etc), or powder blue (it would match my Jag E-Type when I eventually get one). However I feel that blue is a cold-ish colour and my living room gets very little direct sunlight, although it has a big picture window. I'm leaning towards the clotted cream colour (very suitable for afternoon tea tables!). I'm thinking I could put the silver paint under it rather than gold, because a) cream and gold is a bit CHAV-y, b) the silver will go better with the grey of the sofa.

What do you think?

I also picked up this snip (ho ho!) of a bargain in a local interior decor shop that looks so expensive I have never even bothered to go in it before now. I saw these square offcuts for 50p each! I plan to buy cheap cushions from the charity shop and sew these offcuts together to make covers for them.
:cathappy::cool::cathappy:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Breakfast scones.jpg
    Breakfast scones.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Nest of tables.jpg
    Nest of tables.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Chalky paints.jpg
    Chalky paints.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Offcuts of cloth.jpg
    Offcuts of cloth.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
<<<Puts on decorators hat.

From the part of your living room I can see, you already have a ton of pastel. How about staining the tables a walnut and the trolley part either lighter or darker for contrast.

<<<Takes off ridiculous looking hat.

Ignore Tx, Naoko; he's being very American with his natural "wood"-look tables.

The powder blue with silver underscoring will go well with the sofa, but I have my doubts about its relationship to the arm chair. I can't quite make out its colour, but I can't help but feel something a bit stronger is needed, perhaps a deep aqua.

Tx is right about your preponderance of soft tones (I know. They do match the feminine softness of your heaving bosom, but this isn't the boudoir we're decorating). If you use your off cuts to cushion the sofa, you'll add a good deal of vibrancy to a not-so-well-lit room as well as support a more forceful hue on your nesting tables.

But that's just the view of one borderline post-modern romantic, feel free to dismiss it with a casual wave of your delicately elegant hand.

*fans self* What Tio said! Whew it's attractive when a man can speak intelligently on design.

I actually do agree with the deep Aqua with silver undertones. Maybe because it is my favorite color, but those tables are so rad I feel they need to make more of a statement.

The powder blue with silver underscoring will go well with the sofa, but I have my doubts about its relationship to the arm chair. I can't quite make out its colour, but I can't help but feel something a bit stronger is needed, perhaps a deep aqua.

Tx is right about your preponderance of soft tones (I know. They do match the feminine softness of your heaving bosom, but this isn't the boudoir we're decorating). If you use your off cuts to cushion the sofa, you'll add a good deal of vibrancy to a not-so-well-lit room as well as support a more forceful hue on your nesting tables.

But that's just the view of one borderline post-modern romantic, feel free to dismiss it with a casual wave of your delicately elegant hand.

How right you were :kiss::rose:

I had the pizza and it was just dandy! shea, if you had been here, I would've bought the bottle of Prosecco to have with it too!

Now I'm going to have a line of the chocolate bar Piglet bought me when I had a tummy upset and couldn't eat anything .... It's the thought that counts :D

Oh, I long for the day when I can have pizza and Prosecco again! And to have you as company would be simply divine. Perhaps in early October I will get the all clear to indulge a little ...

Hey now! I was trying to get some contrast to all those pale colors.

How about a Japanese black lacquer with pretty pink cherry blossoms? Then it could be used for two different teas. ;)

attachment.php

I had such a lovely time on the beach. I went to the Not So Secret beach, hoping there wouldn't be the hordes I expected at the Very Popular beach. I was right! there were a few people but it was mostly deserted. I had this simple repast: scotch egg (which I bought with a scottish fiver I had been given in a shop the night before :D), scones with Philadelphia soft cheese and blackcurrant jam, a slice of pineapple upside down cake and a cream slice cake :p

TX, you will be very pleased to hear that as I wandered back up the beach from the sea I saw a nudist coming along! I waved companionably to him and he rushed over to chat to me :rolleyes:. He assured me nudism has nothing to do with sex, which I know of course :rolleyes: and so I was a bit surprised when he insisted on kissing me (just the cheek, chaps, nobody get too excited!) Then another naked man appeared and strolled over, so I was standing chatting with two of them! :eek: He insisted on giving me a bit of a cuddle too :rolleyes: Honestly, it was like wandering into a Literotica story by accident.

There were some iron ladders in the cliff nearby so I made my escape up those, leaving the two naked men to go off down the beach together towards a nearby pub.

There were these amazing cold springs in the beach - bubbling up through the sand. If you put your foot into one, it would sink right down through the bubbling sand and cold water - it was very funny!

I had a lovely walk back along the clifftop, all to myself, and saw these sort of seaside wild sweet peas - that down below is the Not So Secret beach.

attachment.php

Then I came home and had a soak in a big hot bath, and made tempura for supper out of some beans and a courgette which the parents of a Piglet pal gave me out of their garden. Delicious!
:cathappy:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Not So Secret Beach picnic.jpg
    Not So Secret Beach picnic.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Not So Secret Beach pinks.jpg
    Not So Secret Beach pinks.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • Tempura.jpg
    Tempura.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
Hmmm, thanks for your input on the interior decor, guys :)

I perhaps should have mentioned that I took that photo in a very rare moment when some sunshine fell into the living room. It can be quite a dark room because it faces North-West and there is the stand of oak trees right outside it. That's why I selected all those girly pastel shades :), so as to lighten the room up.

Also, one whole wall is books! in faux birch effect shelving.

The armchairs are upholstered in something called Old Gold, but you can ignore that - it was a sort of joke for the Fella, as that is the colour his football team wears. One day I will have lots of money :rolleyes: and be able to re-upholster the armchairs in something sensible.

I think the clotted cream and gold will be CHAVy :) so I will eschew that, but how about the clotted cream and silver chaps?

I promise to give the blue some thought, though. The duck egg colour is darker than depicted, and rather attractive. I could get away with duck egg blue and gold? or would the silver be better with the French grey sofabed?

Don't forget that there will be pictures decoupaged onto the tables, too. Cream would give them more of a backdrop ...

To be continued ...!
:cool:

:rose::rose::rose: to all of you for helping out! :kiss:

How about a Japanese black lacquer with pretty pink cherry blossoms? Then it could be used for two different teas. ;)

Remember that the table has wheels so is useless for taking someone over :devil: She would just glide away from you <snerk>

NaokoSmith;79538340 I promise to give the blue some thought said:
I'll put in a vote for duck egg blue and gold.

There used to be a restaurant in Dublin that was all tricked out in duck egg blue and gold. The food was very good. :)

Unless you got a good grip and rolled her back and forth. :devil:

<snerk> :devil::kiss:

I forgot to tell you all the latest on nailing the Line Manager's hide (not to my wall, as I don't want anything like that in here thank you very much - it wouldn't go at all well with my colour scheme ;)) I wrote a long report to the Union about how he refuses to pay any attention to how we mere teachers think we should be allowed to teach, and seems to give all the additional paid work to one person, and is always 'on study leave' when we want to ask any questions of him, and how he won't allow us to teach in the way the university says we should but teach, but instead is always saying that Higher Up people have got our numbers marked and we are all doomed - so that it's a bit like working on board the Death Star being managed by him. I copied in this top union guy who had a little (very significant) to do with my last grievance, and he said he is going to take it up with someone senior in the university. Fingers crossed, but I am not going to get too excited.

Meanwhile, I have to go to a vegan wedding on Friday. I am totally dreading it. I have decided to drive - as it's just up the M4 (yes, I know, but I promise to stop for apples and coffee on the way), and the train ticket is about three times the price of the petrol. There will be really horrible champagne, anyway, so there's no point in saving myself for a drink, and the people at the wedding will be a very bizarre mixed crowd - absolutely no chance of meeting a decent date although hopefully there will not be naked men prancing around insisting on kissing me. My friend is counting on me being there, and has made a big thing of it so there was no way I could get out of it. She has been with her fiance for a few years, and I can't help feeling it's one of those weddings where people get married then suddenly realise what they really wanted to do was separate. But I haven't seen her for many years, so I can't of course say to her: "Are you sure?" I just said: "How wonderful, of course I will come." :(

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shoes and my pussy.jpg
    Shoes and my pussy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Shoes on the bus.jpg
    Shoes on the bus.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
For reference, oral sex is on a vegans menu. ;)

Ya might want to slip a pork chop or two in your purse. Without the bone and not to brown, they resemble tofu somewhat. Anyway, the smell might lure in something or someone. :cool:

I'm way late to the decorating party, but I'm throwing in my two cents, anyway :)

If this were for me, I'd go coral on gold. In fact, maybe I'll do just that with a bookcase that needs painting. But it's not me, so that's irrelevant.

For your lovely room? My #2 pick would be Bramwell over silver. It would really complement the gold chair (which I love, btw). Since you're looking for something lighter, the Laurel Green.
My #1 pick? Anthracite. It's a bold contrast, but it's still soft. And I've always been a fan of medium gray :)

p.s. I'm patting myself on my American back that I know what a chav is :D Oddly enough, though, cream and gold is a very classy combo in this country. It's like we're from two different worlds...

Hey now! I was trying to get some contrast to all those pale colors.

Personally, I'd suggest you leave the wood of the table alone, unless you can make it 'slightly' lighter, perhaps.

Why not take a couple of cooked sausages or a Scotch Egg to the wedding.
Vegan ?
Dear me, whatever next ?

<<<Puts on decorators hat.

From the part of your living room I can see, you already have a ton of pastel. How about staining the tables a walnut and the trolley part either lighter or darker for contrast.

<<<Takes off ridiculous looking hat.

Don't all Texans wear ridiculous hats? Like, all the time? ;)

Personally, I'd suggest you leave the wood of the table alone, unless you can make it 'slightly' lighter, perhaps.

I think you're right--a lighter wood would look really nice :)

I get the need for color, though. Aside from my walls (because I'm not allowed to paint them), there isn't nothing beige or "natural" in my apartment. Color = happy.

I dare you to come to Philly wearing a Stetson :p

Been there and done that. I had no problems. It's not the hat but who's under it. That hat I'm wearing I'm my AV is over 50 years old (I bought it at the Jonesville General story in March of 1966) and has been on my head in forty states and eleven countries. :D

I'm way late to the decorating party, but I'm throwing in my two cents, anyway :)

If this were for me, I'd go coral on gold. In fact, maybe I'll do just that with a bookcase that needs painting. But it's not me, so that's irrelevant.

For your lovely room? My #2 pick would be Bramwell over silver. It would really complement the gold chair (which I love, btw). Since you're looking for something lighter, the Laurel Green.
My #1 pick? Anthracite. It's a bold contrast, but it's still soft. And I've always been a fan of medium gray :)

p.s. I'm patting myself on my American back that I know what a chav is :D Oddly enough, though, cream and gold is a very classy combo in this country. It's like we're from two different worlds...

Hullo! :) thank you for those helpful suggestions.

I did think about the grey. I hesitated because the sofabed is already grey, and I know the grey chalky paint will of course be a different shade to the grey of the sofabed, and may look like I just failed to match it. Of course I could do the whole room in 50 shades ... :D

The old gold armchairs are sort of fun; the colour doesn't go with anything so it goes with everything!

My other reason for not being sure about blue is that I have found these pictures of some blue Portuguese tiles in the How to Spend It magazine. They are probably phenomenally expensive for real but completely free to cut out from the magazine and there are enough of them for me to stick on one of the tables and make it a chess board. However if I paint the table blue, they may not stand out very well against it.

Yes, I'm tempted to take extra sustenance along to the wedding non-feast in my capacious Radley handbag. Never mind, there's a place opened up near here which does Southern American bbq food - ie masses of meat, and I will keep searching for a man good enough to take me out there to compensate for my sacrificing my meat-eating for a few hours for my vegan friend.

I did have a date yesterday with an ex-marine who got into making and selling sort of fantasy models. We went for coffee, and I was a bit hopeful, but time went on and he didn't suggest we have lunch. He asked me if I'd like to go out to the cinema on Saturday, adding that we could pick up a meal in one of the many eateries round the cinema, and I just knew he would not be the kind of guy who drives out to seaside villages for tea and cakes, or flies to Paris for oysters and champagne so I regretfully said no. I was so hungry by the time we had finished having coffee-but-no-food, I could have eaten a whole vegan by myself!

I'm very willing to welcome pictures of hats in here as well as shoes.

good-day-cowboy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Naoko, I caught you on the net!
I must say that the discussion of your decorating was a soothing read after the Politic board. The election here is consuming the whole media, even the Olympics takes back seat to TrumpClintonisim.

Your ideas about the tables are nice, I'd go ducks egg blue and gold, but silver may be more effective. The 'chess' board' idea sees a bit (Square) overdone, perhaps you could arrange them in a different pattern, which might mean cutting the pictures, so a paper shear might come in handy. does the decoupage adhesive come in a satin finish? I believe so, though I don't know. it might seal the chalky paint so cleaning spilled jam or wine doesn't give you an even more distressed look?

I have been so distracted by music that I haven't written anything in months years perhaps, though I did finally edit Spreading Seeds into Seven Sagas and it has done very well, though few finish all 200K words.

Hope you find a man who can take you to Rome or Paris for Tea and rumpty bump on a whim. :D

Ah, now that could be a problem.
Whims are no longer made in the old-fashioned manner and are thus unsafe.
:)
Mr HP
I happened to see where your name came from today! I'm sorry if this is old news, but I was impressed by the dihedrals ;)

Naoko
interior decs. I'm not the best person to ask but since you asked, I'd be thinking throws, gold splattered paint, funky cushion covers. Plain background colours with some splashes of colour would be my thunk - and cushion covers are cheap to make with those fab offcuts of exotic material I'm sure you have put by for no good reason - haven't we all got those?! :D

xx

Last edited:
Back