Any Advice from Romance Writers?

LoquiSordidaAdMe

Literotica Guru
I'm thinking of dipping my toe in the Romance category. When I wrote my first Sci-Fi story for the Geek Pride Day event, I had a lot of support and advice from some giants in the category. With a few exceptions, I typically read and write in the more salacious categories, but I have an idea for a Romance story and I'd like to give it a go.

The kernel of my idea is the woman comes up pregnant after a one-night hookup. The story starts three months later when she tells the guy. They barely know each other, but their relationship grows from that. I'm thinking of writing it in first person from the guy's perspective.

So do any Romance authors out there have any advice on pitfalls to avoid or targets to aim for? I know "write what you want", sure, but I have a lot of latitude within what I want to write for any useful tips or tricks that make for a successful Romance story.

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking of dipping my toe in the Romance category. When I wrote my first Sci-Fi story for the Geek Pride Day event, I had a lot of support and advice from some giants in the category. With a few exceptions, I typically read and write in the more salacious categories, but I have an idea for a Romance story and I'd like to give it a go.

The kernel of my idea is the woman comes up pregnant after a one-night hookup. The story starts three months later when she tells the guy. They barely know each other, but their relationship grows from that. I'm thinking of writing it in first person from the guy's perspective.

So do any Romance authors out there have any advice on pitfalls to avoid or targets to aim for? I know "write what you want", sure, but I have a lot of latitude within what I want to write for any useful tips or tricks that make for a successful Romance story.

Thanks in advance.

My first thought is that many Romance readers will be unhappy about the one night stand, so I would make sure to draw them into caring about the characters before I revealed that plot point.

Romance is about caring, much more so than about the sex. My best-scoring, and perhaps best, romance has no explicit sex at all. Romance is about relationship building. It's about people you care about. It's harder to construct that kind of story when they fall into bed first, but it can be done and some very good romances have been built around that plot line. Some questions to develop: does he think of her after their encounter? does he think of her more than he thinks about their child? does he offer marriage because he wants her? the child? because he feels he has to? not at all? What does she think about all this? (Comes out in conversation.) Does she refuse him because she thinks he's only impelled by duty or social forces? How does she discover he loves her? Does she love him? How does that come out? Exploring these and other issues is easier from third person when you can shift focus and read their thoughts, so first person is a harder row to hoe.

The main thing I look for when I read romance stories is a slow build up with a focus on the emotional exchanges and bonds between the characters: tenderness, touching, hugging, kissing, eye contact, etc. I want to see the romance build and unfold more than I what to see the sex scene if that makes sense - to understand and relate to why the characters are having sex beyond the “I’m horny, let’s fuck.”
🌹Kant👠👠👠

If you write the romance story, let me know. I want to read it💋

In my view, Romance should include respect for each other and eventually mutual trust. Sex is possible in the story, not necessarily essential, but if there should only happen after some reasonable development.

Conflicts, misunderstandings, confusions can be in the story but not abuse or unforgivable behaviour.

Probably most Romance stories end as 'happy ever after' or something like it.

While I agree with everything above, the more I think of it, the more I think your basic idea is very workable.

Many solid relationships have begun as arranged marriages. Indeed, it is only fairly recently that pre-marital affection has become a consideration. The bridge and groom might meet for the first time at the altar - and be expected to consummate the marriage that very night. Yet there is no real evidence that they never grew to love one another. Moreover, there have been many, many marriages arranged in a hurry which worked out well in the long run. (I know of one elderly couple whose final days - after 60 years of marriage - were a tear-jerker in and of themselves, just solid love to the very end. Yet theirs was an in-a-hurry marriage.) Does it matter whether love comes first or not? I don't think so.

So long as the one-night stand is not tossed at the reader like a blast of cold water, it could work. Yes, there's in one sense a deadline, the elephant in the room, but provided that neither of them felt trapped in the relationship, provided that both of them benefited from each other, then, yes, it could be a brilliant romance, just one in which the traditional order is rather backwards.

How many truly great romances have had to overcome hurdles of one sort or another? Advanced and surprising pregnancy could be a fine one for the author to help them conquer.

Go for it!

I'd say go for it, you already write with the right mind-set. Make your characters deep and believable, bring in some drama and tears, make the readers cry.

I put the second and third parts of my Rope and Veil story into Romance - the second part is my highest scored story (4.92/84) the third part, fifth highest (4.81/74). Curiously, the third part has nearly three times more views, which suggests many readers read it several times. It included pregnancy and babies, which yours would too, so there's an opportunity to celebrate a gorgeous pregnant woman.

Go on, start writing.

So you know "romance" (trite affection) isn't my thing but "Romance" (wild love) is so I'll chime in briefly.
I don't normally recommend movies, and I'm truly not being facetious, when I say you should consider watching Knocked Up for a realistic, modern take on said scenario. I personally would be scared as hell to tell the potential father in that situation and wouldn't expect anything vaguely romantic to ensue. But it's certainly not beyond comprehension that two people would be drawn together by the humbling, exciting prospect of furthering the species.

My first thought is that many Romance readers will be unhappy about the one night stand
My best-scoring, and perhaps best, romance has no explicit sex at all.
I want to see the romance build and unfold more than I what to see the sex scene
Sex is possible in the story, not necessarily essentia

My plan is for the hookup to have happened before the story even begins. It might be alluded to in the story, but there won't be any graphic sex scenes. It gives me confidence to hear that my instincts on this are the right approach. Thanks!

does he think of her after their encounter? does he think of her more than he thinks about their child? does he offer marriage because he wants her? the child? because he feels he has to? not at all? What does she think about all this? (Comes out in conversation.) Does she refuse him because she thinks he's only impelled by duty or social forces? How does she discover he loves her? Does she love him? How does that come out?

These are great questions. I'm going to make sure I have answers to each and every one figured out before I get too far in.

Exploring these and other issues is easier from third person when you can shift focus and read their thoughts, so first person is a harder row to hoe.

Ermm... I see your point. I'll consider it, but I really have much more confidence in my first person writing. I find it easier to get in touch with a character's emotions if I'm inside their head looking out. I just don't feel like my third-person writing is as good.

If you write the romance story, let me know. I want to read it💋
While I agree with everything above, the more I think of it, the more I think your basic idea is very workable... Go for it!
I'd say go for it, you already write with the right mind-set. Make your characters deep and believable, bring in some drama and tears, make the readers cry.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's always nice to have a cheering section.

you should consider watching Knocked Up for a realistic, modern take on said scenario.

That had occurred to me, although I wouldn't be going for a comedic take. But you make a good point, there could be some ideas to be mined there. I'll see if I can make time for it.

My thanks to all, and to anyone else who wants to chime in.

I just posted my first story in Romance (period piece with some humor and a goal to try richer language). Personally, I'm very satisfied with the story. On the other hand, I did not come out of it with much advise to offer because there are literally no comments yet, just votes, so it's hard to tell what people thought. I hope that changes, and that it just need more time than I'm used to, being a quieter category than I typically post in.

That aside, to the extent that no one actually complained about the formula I used, it was:

- A (narrator) has an unexpected encounter with B who shows him mild interest.
- A obsesses about B until he works up the nerve to meet her.
- B turns out to be nothing like A imagined, and brutally difficult to come to know.
- Wild rollercoaster of a courtship ensues.
- A and B come to understand the manner in which they complement each other and finally connect.
- There IS sex. It is drawn out and detailed, but sensual rather than explicit.
- There is an uplifting, happy ending that still gives a nod to everything they've been through.

Overall the goal was to really dig into the process of the relationship they build, which involves each of them overcoming personal issues, and out of which romance is discovered. I'm interested in learning more about this category and what other writers do with it. Good luck Loqui, and I hope it does well!

By the way, your sex can be explicit. Romance readers aren't lily livered or prudes, but they do want emotion, intimacy and motivation with their sex, not just a gratuitous bonk up against a wall.

That had occurred to me, although I wouldn't be going for a comedic take. But you make a good point, there could be some ideas to be mined there. I'll see if I can make time for it.
I'm not a big RomCom fan (unless you count Shakespeare cause I think all of his comedies have a wedding), but I'll take a guy who makes me laugh over one who gives me flowers all day and all night long. As much as it can be used to mask emotions, humor can also shed a light on our humanity.
I didn't do that well in my foray into Romance categorically I think because my piece was sad and underdeveloped. Not suggesting you make it funny, just pointing out that I'm no expert.

Last edited:
You said you don't do 3-rd person well, so why not chapters? One from each of their viewpoints could work, as long as the (one or more) pivotal moment(s) don't occur for each person while spread 15 minutes of reading time apart.

Sad stories seem to rate well on the Romance board.

I've written two Romance stories, both with sad aspects and they both got high scores.

... I see your point. I'll consider it, but I really have much more confidence in my first person writing. I find it easier to get in touch with a character's emotions if I'm inside their head looking out. I just don't feel like my third-person writing is as good.
Time to challenge yourself, then. You can get in just as close using third person - think of my Floating World stories and the way the pov alternates. Having the third person in the room actually makes it easier to dig really deep - just because there's a narrator, it doesn't mean s/he needs to be remote. Think also of Melissa's Mary and Alvin story - it's as intimate as any first person piece I've read.

Time to challenge yourself, then. You can get in just as close using third person - think of my Floating World stories and the way the pov alternates. Having the third person in the room actually makes it easier to dig really deep - just because there's a narrator, it doesn't mean s/he needs to be remote. Think also of Melissa's Mary and Alvin story - it's as intimate as any first person piece I've read.

I've been trying to stay out of this because I have all of one (1) successful story in Romance. But I cant. I just can't.

Depth of emotion is a key element in Romance. My one successful story was written 3rd person from the man's point of view. It worked well, but mostly both characters expressed their feeling through their actions, not through internal or external expressions.

After my first, miserably failed, experience in Romance I went to the story feedback forum and asked why. I got responses from some very respected voices who all gave me the "romance" formula.

Start with a man and woman who don't know each other, but who find a common interest. They fight through obstacles to build a relationship and the end is happily ever after. The end is crucial. You can deviate from the formula a lot, but the HEA ending needs to be there. Otherwise, that's probably a tragedy (as in 'The Third Ring') not a Romance.

Overall the goal was to really dig into the process of the relationship they build,

That sounds a lot like my goal. I don't know if your formula would work for the idea I have, but I'll certainly keep it in mind if I seem to lose my way and need to get back on track.

By the way, your sex can be explicit. Romance readers aren't lily livered or prudes, but they do want emotion, intimacy and motivation with their sex, not just a gratuitous bonk up against a wall.

Agreed. MelissaBaby puts some steam in her romance and people seem to like it ok. I don't have any "on screen" sex scenes planned for this one, but as the story develops, they may become appropriate. We'll see.

I'm not a big RomCom fan (unless you count Shakespeare cause I think all of his comedies have a wedding), but I'll take a guy who makes me laugh over one who gives me flowers all day and all night long.

Fair point, but there's a difference between poignant with some moments of humor and humourous with some moments of poignancy. I think I'm aiming for the former.

You said you don't do 3-rd person well, so why not chapters? One from each of their viewpoints could work, as long as the (one or more) pivotal moment(s) don't occur for each person while spread 15 minutes of reading time apart.
Time to challenge yourself, then. You can get in just as close using third person

I absolutely see the wisdom in third person. I just need to get comfortable with the idea and I'm not there yet. I haven't ruled it out.

Sad stories seem to rate well on the Romance board.
Yep. I keep killing characters, and I keep getting high scores.

I get that, but I'm really more of a "happily ever after" kind of writer. The last time I wrote a sad story, electricblue66 was cross with me. ;) Anyway, I think I want these particular characters to be happy.

Start with a man and woman who don't know each other, but who find a common interest. They fight through obstacles to build a relationship and the end is happily ever after. The end is crucial. You can deviate from the formula a lot, but the HEA ending needs to be there. Otherwise, that's probably a tragedy (as in 'The Third Ring') not a Romance.

I tend to agree. Three chapters all written in different styles. First, a long build up to sex but with a happy ending. Second, lots of seducing of the male MC buy the sister-in-law, but with a happy ending back with the wife. Third, sex all the way through and male MC dying. Second chapter has been the best received so far. Fourth is a happy sort of ending with a cliff hanger. I wanted to see how romance handled it. So far it's second best of the four.

There is a formula to romance but you have room to play inside it. The trick is character development. Get the reader to identify with your characters and they'll forgive, or hate them. Either is a win. My first chapter has a comment about hating the MC. I left it as it means I got them involved.

The only advice I can offer is when it comes to sex scenes. If you want to describe them, make sure it's for a reason. Stories that go on for chapters will get tedious if it's constantly described. When you get to later chapters you'll find readers are there for the characters and can fill in details themselves. If it's a one-off then by all means, give them something to spank about. Part three of my story has a very explicit scene at the end, but it's for a reason. It brings to a close what had been building, and sets up the ending, sort of.

In my experience, romance readers will clap and cheer if a) you have a believable story to tell; b) the characters have lives of their own; c) there are hurdles to be leapt, mazes to be negotiated; and d) the end suggests a future - usually, but not always, an HEA future.

I get that, but I'm really more of a "happily ever after" kind of writer. The last time I wrote a sad story, electricblue66 was cross with me. ;) Anyway, I think I want these particular characters to be happy.
Ha! Wait till you see what I do in Rope and Veil Part 4, when I finally get to it. But no way am I ready to write that one just yet, so I'm letting Amelia be for a long while.

The kernel of my idea is the woman comes up pregnant after a one-night hookup. The story starts three months later when she tells the guy. They barely know each other, but their relationship grows from that.

Another corker of an idea. And based on the emotional resonance of your recent sci/fi story, I'm sure you will be able to pull it off.

The essential ingredient of a good romance is emotional sincerity. Don't worry about what readers might like or what they might think. The characters you create live somehow in the spare rooms of your own mind. Listen to them. Be true to what they feel, what they love, what they desire.

A first-person story from the guy's point of view will be very powerful. Not only will the conception have already taken place off screen, but also the girl's discovery that she is pregnant and her realization that her life has fundamentally changed. All this will have to be portrayed second hand, through the guy's realization.

I'd think that his initial reaction would parallel what she has already gone through. No, there must be a mistake. Girls are late sometimes, aren't they? How can you be sure it was me? Can't we just make this go away?

But she's already chosen what her heart has told her—to see the pregnancy through. Her decision didn't involve him in any way. She's only telling him because she respects him enough to think he ought to know.

And he chooses to do the honorable thing. Not because he loves her necessarily, not because he couldn't argue his way out. But because he sees what this means to her, and recognizes his own responsibility, and chooses to do the honorable thing.

So you have two basically decent people, beset by an unplanned happenstance, who both choose to do what they think is right, even though it will fundamentally change the course of their lives. And who, as a result, can't help but see in each other a more admirable and desirable character than perhaps they recognized before.

Does it matter whether love comes first or not? I don't think so.

Neither do I.

In my experience, romance readers will clap and cheer if a) you have a believable story to tell; b) the characters have lives of their own; c) there are hurdles to be leapt, mazes to be negotiated; and d) the end suggests a future - usually, but not always, an HEA future.

For the win!

Without knowing the formula, that's about how I wrote my one Romance so far, a historical piece (The Botanists) about actual notable middle-agers, science celebs in their day (1880-1920), in 3rd person focusing on individuals.

To start: They've known OF each other professionally but meet for the first time at a science thang. Sparks fly. They are very nervous and reserved for years, but the bond grows. Their work often keeps them apart... until they decide to join. There's exactly one bit of explicit sex but much reporting of their interactions.

The whole was inspired by one line in a botany book. After their surprise wedding in San Diego in 1889, they honeymooned by WALKING the 500-odd miles (plus side trips) to San Francisco, "botanizing along the way." The end is almost anticlimactic. The future looks bright. HEA?

I'm not saying you should kill off characters, just that you can get away with it.

Back