Questions I couldn't find ansers to

Whoa! I think my head just exploded!

I reckon I'll just keep on writing my stuff the way I do, without having a theoretical clue, and leave it up to somebody else to say, "Did you know this is what you're doing?" :)

I like that. Sounds like something I would say. I don't have high expectations. I believe I have a wide range of poems I've written for my wife. There are a few poems that I actually think are good and could be read by others and be liked. Then there are a lot more that remind me of the poem someone writes to shoves in a Christmas letter that sums up what their family did in rhyme. So, I think I have a wide range.

Glad to have someone new that wants to write and my best advice would be to just run amuck. There is a weekly challenge based on different themes. Hope to see you there.

Thanks. Don't know that I can write about something I'm challenged to write about. Inspiration is hard for me. Like I said above, much of my writting is tailored to my wife in a hokey sort of way. I'm not here because of those poems. Well maybe If I can make them better. But, I'd like to be able to take inspiration and do even better with it.

I'm with you! for goodness sake can't we just enjoy poetry without analysing the hell out of it?

I believe I'd welcome any kind of thoughts. I'm still working through all this mentally. I'm also sorting through the seemingly 2 different groups I'm now chatting with. Y'all seem very different than the folks on the playground. :)

You're making me think. I appreciate that. Muchas Gracias!!!

I agree with many people here who have pointed out there has always been free verse. The premise of the original question is flawed.

There is no universally easily understood way of defining the difference between prose and free verse. It is easy to identify poetry with a rhyme scheme, so that may lead to it receiving greater acknowledgement.[/QUOTE]

Welcome Madelyne! As folks are helping me discern through my thoughts, what you say makes sense to me. I'm considering doing something I call the "Wine Test". Also, time is rare for me, so don't take my periodic absence as a negative.

I'm with you! for goodness sake can't we just enjoy poetry without analysing the hell out of it?

I don't think anybody here was telling you how you should or shouldn't enjoy poetry, though?

I enjoy the analysis, and from this discussion I'm assuming Butters does too, but that doesn't create an obligation for anybody else to do the same. I will not be at all offended if people skip the discussion that doesn't interest them.

This is WAY too complicated for me. But, that suggests I can learn something here. Thank you!!!

It could be worse! There are other Byron poems where he just throws in a line or two of Greek, assuming that anybody who matters will know what it means.

Classical Greek/Roman poetry was written to be read aloud, so it puts a lot of emphasis on rhythm, and Byron was a big fan of that. There's a lot of technical terminology around rhythm (iambs, dactyls, anapests, trochees, pentameter, hexameter, ...) but the easiest way to get a feel for it is just to read it aloud and listen to how it sounds.

It also has a place in prose, too. Shameless self promotion follows: I've received comments from several people over time that my stories have, "a flow that's almost poetic at times," "an almost poetic style," and one of things I'm very conscious of during edit is the beat and flow of my prose, the cadence and cascade, the rise and fall - and consonance and assonance, as you say, are a part of that (not always consciously, either, but that's how the words arrive on the page).

Yep, I seem to recall noticing that in your stories, and I don't think the line between poetry and prose is always sharply drawn.

We can do both - I admire those minds that can deconstruct content and expose the bones underneath, that the author might not even know is there (consciously, anyway).

I'm a prose writer (so a bit of a ring-in on this forum), and I've had some fine minds read my work and say, "Did you know you do that? Did you know that's how you are doing it?" To which I reply, "Not really, tell me more," and let them eviscerate my psyche.

Writing erotica is an intimate and personal thing which can dig deep into one's subconscious mind (or at least it is for me) and there's something liberating, and fascinating, about sharing it with people who deeply "get" it and can articulate what they see - it's another form of a mirror, reflecting back.

sometimes it can be rewarding to understand why we enjoy it so much, and it certainly can help us understand how we write stuff ourselves - even if it comes after the fact. it's just another learning tool.

the only reason i brought it up was because C.I noted that a lot of his prose had a poetic flow.

I don't think anybody here was telling you how you should or shouldn't enjoy poetry, though?

I enjoy the analysis, and from this discussion I'm assuming Butters does too, but that doesn't create an obligation for anybody else to do the same. I will not be at all offended if people skip the discussion that doesn't interest them.

this is the case, for sure :)

i always preferred writing and then reading over the analysis, but found the act of critiquing and analysis a way to understand the art of writing better and, in turn, how to produce (hopefully) better pieces. a whole lot of what i did was done subconsciously, and it was 1201 who put in me in touch with the cognitive linguistics/poetry way of thinking. i STILL write more or less live, with no clear conception of where a poem will go, but looking back to edit i can see its construction in a clearer manner and adjust with that in mind. i am still a beginner with all that stuff, though, and a freely-admitted "lazy writer". :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
We can do both - I admire those minds that can deconstruct content and expose the bones underneath, that the author might not even know is there (consciously, anyway).

I'm a prose writer (so a bit of a ring-in on this forum), and I've had some fine minds read my work and say, "Did you know you do that? Did you know that's how you are doing it?" To which I reply, "Not really, tell me more," and let them eviscerate my psyche.

Writing erotica is an intimate and personal thing which can dig deep into one's subconscious mind (or at least it is for me) and there's something liberating, and fascinating, about sharing it with people who deeply "get" it and can articulate what they see - it's another form of a mirror, reflecting back.

yup

i'd always say write how it feels right to write and worry about the other stuff after the fact. some people enjoy the learning process of poetry more than others, and a few years back i was completely in the dark about this cognitive stuff till 1201 told me about it.

It came to me that I could help you understand free verse better if I compared it to jazz, Same kind of technique

It's a joke m'dear. Dry English humour :)

Beowulf is NOT fucking POETRY.

its an epic saga you twits.....

However poetry is a joke, a lame joke. Sure its cute to write little things now and then, but in reality it really is nothing more then little balls on outhouse walls.

90% of so called poetry has been nothing but an attempt by over wealthy lazy people to have a claim to doing something.

However poetry is a joke, a lame joke. Sure its cute to write little things now and then, but in reality it really is nothing more then little balls on outhouse walls.

90% of so called poetry has been nothing but an attempt by over wealthy lazy people to have a claim to doing something.

The owner of this whole site is also a poet and I'm betting she'll disagree with you on that!

It came to me that I could help you understand free verse better if I compared it to jazz, Same kind of technique

The quote "Music is the space between the notes" which is attributed toClude Debussy but I've always associated with Miles Davis comes to mind and cerainly applies to poetry.

I suppose in a worldwide sense I might be considered "over wealthy." This might be one of the few times I'm part of a majority.

...andddddd, you thought you'd come here, to a poetry forum, to make your cute little statement. don't tell me, your poetry sucks, right? :rolleyes:

It could be worse! There are other Byron poems where he just throws in a line or two of Greek, assuming that anybody who matters will know what it means.

Classical Greek/Roman poetry was written to be read aloud, so it puts a lot of emphasis on rhythm, and Byron was a big fan of that. There's a lot of technical terminology around rhythm (iambs, dactyls, anapests, trochees, pentameter, hexameter, ...) but the easiest way to get a feel for it is just to read it aloud and listen to how it sounds.

Yep, I seem to recall noticing that in your stories, and I don't think the line between poetry and prose is always sharply drawn.

Ok, let's just say that on a scale of 1 to 10, I think about myself and my poetry as a 1, and I'm thinking I could maybe double that to a 2 here, which would be a great improvement. I'm definitely leaning towards the "wine test" - I just need to find the content for it.

If anything, I think the whole idea of the "Wine Test" might be appealing and could be my initiating contribution to the poems group. I"m working on it. This is not easy. I very much apprecaite the encouragement.

If anything, I think the whole idea of the "Wine Test" might be appealing and could be my initiating contribution to the poems group. I"m working on it. This is not easy. I very much apprecaite the encouragement.

What's the Wine Test?

...andddddd, you thought you'd come here, to a poetry forum, to make your cute little statement. don't tell me, your poetry sucks, right? :rolleyes:

Probably doesn't realise we don't talk to people like that over here in the poetry forum ........ who would have thunk it? :D

The owner of this whole site is also a poet and I'm betting she'll disagree with you on that!

Also he's wrong. It's an epic saga in the form of a narrative poem. Historically the unknown author has been referred to as an Anglo Saxon poet. But I doubt the poster gives a fuck about that. Trolling this forum? Big fun (though heaven knows why). Poetry, not so much. :cool:

WoW! We're allowed to use bad words on this site? ;):eek:;):eek:;):eek:;)

Back