Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Silly Question Corner

Not sure if the AH would be the right place for such a thread, perhaps the Editor's Forum would be more appropriate, but I'd like to give this a try.

I often face (probably silly) language questions, and I know for sure I'm not the only one. Most of the time Google helps me out, but sometimes I'm just not sure about what's correct. Could this be a place for questions and answers?

Two examples of questions I'm currently dealing with:

Where to put the comma in 'other', in the sentence "we braid each other's hair". Is it correct like this?

"I retain the right to remain silent." / "I maintain the right to remain silent." Are both correct? Is there a difference? Is one preferential above the other? Are there better options?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenR View Post
Not sure if the AH would be the right place for such a thread, perhaps the Editor's Forum would be more appropriate, but I'd like to give this a try.

I often face (probably silly) language questions, and I know for sure I'm not the only one. Most of the time Google helps me out, but sometimes I'm just not sure about what's correct. Could this be a place for questions and answers?
Seems as good a place as any, especially if "silly questions" extend beyond word selection.

Quote:

Where to put the comma in 'other', in the sentence "we braid each other's hair". Is it correct like this?

"I retain the right to remain silent." / "I maintain the right to remain silent." Are both correct? Is there a difference? Is one preferential above the other? Are there better options?
I think the singular possessive of other is "others" without an apostrophe. I think the plural possessive would be "others'", with the apostrophe following the 's'. We actually had a thread about that a couple years ago. It can get complicated.

"I retain" means that you keep something. "I maintain" means that you fix it, or that you claim a possibly disputed right to it.

The wording of the Miranda statement varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction in the US, but the easiest way to say it is "I have the right to remain silent."

My current long-term project is "Wolves of Winter." Its a neo-western romance that will be done someday -- I swear.

Watch Me! is my entry in Literotica's Nude Day contest.

One Night in Gormaz is my offering for the "One Night in XXX" story event. It's an historical fantasy from Spanish history.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
Desiremakesmeweak
Literotica Guru

'Each' = one, so 'each other's' is correct. ...There is a possibility you can use 'each' as part of a compound adjective, and leave out the apostrophe thereby, but I wouldn't personally go down that route but that's because I write ENGLISH English.

Yes there is a difference in meaning: 'retain' means 'kept/still have/still keep hold of' whereas 'maintain' means in this context 'I hold out that I have (EG such a right; claim to have the right to keep silent).'

Example usage:

'I maintain the right to keep silent'

'Oh do you? Well fuck you. You don't have such a right in here, especially not if I whack you real hard on the kneecaps with this tyre jack, you'll fucking give up such fantasy beliefs with an almighty screech.'

So he whacked him real hard with the tyre jack, see, but James B Johnson was a hardnut, and retained his precious belief about his capacity to maintain his silence. But in the end, he was silent all right, but that was because he couldn't maintain his pattern of breathing, and he expired, albeit silently, retaining his silence no doubt, though not his life.

Last edited by Desiremakesmeweak : 02-19-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Tio_Narratore
Studies

No comma needed in the braid statement. I presume you're talking about the apostrophe. Since you've specified each' the possessive should be singular, so the sentence stands as is. If the others was plural, then you would, write others'.

I retain would mean that you are reserving the right and have not given it up; I maintain doesn't make much sense at all unless you are saying something about upholding or dismissing the right, as in, for example, "I maintain the right to remain silent does not apply in this case."

http://www.literotica.com/stories/me...ge=submissions

Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #5
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Thank you! That's the quick response I was hoping for!

Actually, I think any kind of simple questions should be welcome in this thread. If you want to know why 'woman' and 'women' sound the same but are written differently; if you want to know the average weight and number of hairs on a toothbrush; if the difference between dove and pigeon is unclear; go ahead.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Definitely "each other's". "Each" tells you it's singular. You need the apostrophe after "other."

"Retain" is better than "maintain." But "have" is better still, and conforms to what law enforcement officers typically say in the US when they read someone his or her rights upon arrest.

SimonDoom

My stories are at https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDoom View Post

"Retain" is better than "maintain." But "have" is better still, and conforms to what law enforcement officers typically say in the US when they read someone his or her rights upon arrest.
In the text I'm working on, there is one person asking the other if she could ask a 'personal question'. I want a light-hearted reply, indicating that the other is free to ask any question she wants, but some questions could remain unanswered.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
CoffeeWithMonkeys
Literotica Guru

Quote:

I had a similar dialog in something I wrote once. The girl was asking the guy about past relationships and at one point he said something like
'I reserve the right to not answer if I think you won't like my reply.'

Maybe something like that would work?

Wanna see my stuff I've written? Click below.
https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 02-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Tio_Narratore
Studies

Quote:
Thank you! That's the quick response I was hoping for!

Actually, I think any kind of simple questions should be welcome in this thread. If you want to know why 'woman' and 'women' sound the same but are written differently; if you want to know the average weight and number of hairs on a toothbrush; if the difference between dove and pigeon is unclear; go ahead.
Woman and women sound the same?

How to pronounce 'women.'

Old 02-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio_Narratore View Post
Woman and women sound the same?

How to pronounce 'women.'
Right... I wanted to stress out the 'silly' option

But man!--there's something weird about it, writing vs pronouncing woman and women...

Old 02-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
Tio_Narratore
Studies

Quote:
Right... I wanted to stress out the 'silly' option

But man!--there's something weird about it, writing vs pronouncing woman and women...
The classic, of course, is spelling 'fish' "ghoti."

laugh = /f/
women = /i/
nation = /sh/

so, ghoti = /fish/

Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Quote:
In the text I'm working on, there is one person asking the other if she could ask a 'personal question'. I want a light-hearted reply, indicating that the other is free to ask any question she wants, but some questions could remain unanswered.
In that context I think "retain" is better than "maintain" and has a more playful connotation.

It's also alliterative -- "retain" and "right" go better together.

SimonDoom

My stories are at https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #13
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
I think the singular possessive of other is "others" without an apostrophe.
After some googling, I think my statement was incorrect. Possessive pronouns ending in "s" do not use an apostrophe (its, theirs, yours, and so on) but in the case of "other" adding an "s" without the apostrophe risks confusion with the plural.

As a result, to avoid confusion the possessive form of "other" should be "other's."

Another bit of advice I thought was sound was to entirely avoid using "each other's" or "each others."

My current long-term project is "Wolves of Winter." Its a neo-western romance that will be done someday -- I swear.

One Night in Gormaz is my offering for the "One Night in XXX" story event. It's an historical fantasy from Spanish history.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #14
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

Not sure what the rest of the sentence says, so I'll make one up; Sitting together on the bed joking around, we each still managed to braid the other's hair. Or; ...we still managed to do a decent job of braiding the other's hair.

All My Stories:

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 66% Dominant / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist

Old 02-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Other options here would be "I am exercising my right to remain silent", or "invoking".

Old 02-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #16
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

The note posted to my terminal reminds me to say, "I have nothing to say," if/when encountering law enforcement. Any further conversation consists of questions: Am I under arrest? What is the charge? What is your badge number? BTW, never say, "Sorry." That will be taken as an admission.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #17
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
The note posted to my terminal reminds me to say, "I have nothing to say," if/when encountering law enforcement. Any further conversation consists of questions: Am I under arrest? What is the charge? What is your badge number? BTW, never say, "Sorry." That will be taken as an admission.
This sounds like something you could make some money with. Print up some cards and sell them on the internet. The problem with your method is that once you're sort of maybe inebriated or somehow screwed up, remembering a card is a lot easier than all the words written on the card Also, with all the $$$ you'll make you can afford a high priced lawyer to get you out of any jamb you do get into. (I should probably get a small percentage gratuity for pointing you to your happy future )

All My Stories:

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 66% Dominant / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist

Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #18
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonnights View Post
This sounds like something you could make some money with. Print up some cards and sell them on the internet. The problem with your method is that once you're sort of maybe inebriated or somehow screwed up, remembering a card is a lot easier than all the words written on the card Also, with all the $$$ you'll make you can afford a high priced lawyer to get you out of any jamb you do get into. (I should probably get a small percentage gratuity for pointing you to your happy future )
IIRC the ACLU passes out similar cards for free. And I downloaded and printed an ACLU photographers' rights card -- public photography is NOT a crime, except in states that unconstitutionally prohibit filming farms and cattle.

Consider having I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY tattooed on your wrist. That's easy.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #19
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
IIRC the ACLU passes out similar cards for free. And I downloaded and printed an ACLU photographers' rights card -- public photography is NOT a crime, except in states that unconstitutionally prohibit filming farms and cattle.

Consider having I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY tattooed on your wrist. That's easy.
You're just a treasure trove full of information. In this instance it's pretty good info...although, I can't recall the last time I could have benefited from such a card Still, seems like a guy ought'a have both of them...especially the public photography one.

All My Stories:

BDSM TEST RESULTS:

Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #20
FEELINGLUCKYPUNK
Loves Spam

John OHara was a celebrated dialog expert and complained how know it all editors correwcted his dialog all the time. IF ITS WRONG ITS MEANT TO BE WRONG!!!

Characters are rarely English perfessers.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEELINGLUCKYPUNK View Post
John OHara was a celebrated dialog expert and complained how know it all editors correwcted his dialog all the time. IF ITS WRONG ITS MEANT TO BE WRONG!!!

Characters are rarely English perfessers.
Characters, true. But the narrator?

Old 02-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #22
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Characters, true. But the narrator?
First-person narrators and storytellers can speak colloquial English. That may not be so well-accepted for third-person narrators.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #23
Voboy
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
First-person narrators and storytellers can speak colloquial English. That may not be so well-accepted for third-person narrators.
Thatís one of the joys of FP. The narrator can be biased.

Even when Iím writing in TP, Iíll often go colloquial based on whose mind Iím in, especially given that Iím not usually omniscient. Colloquial doesnít have to mean sloppy.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:42 AM   #24
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonnights View Post
You're just a treasure trove full of information.
I credit piracy for me treasure of gold-foil-wrapped chocolates, matey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voboy View Post
Thatís one of the joys of FP. The narrator can be biased.
My standard disclaimer warns that voices are not to be trusted and info may be incorrect. One series used different narrators for each episode, all biased differently. Yes, authors are gods, creating worlds as we wish.

ObTopic: What, there was a topic?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #25
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Next question; is there a feminine counterpart for 'wank fodder'?