Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
joeyjax
Virgin

Voting oddity (low votes removed?)

My first ever story has been hovering for weeks now at just barely under 4 stars (like 3.97 or something like that) with 60 votes. I noticed today that it has inched over 4, which was cool. But I noticed the vote count was now 58, down 2.

I kinda find it hard to picture two people who previously voted low (like 1 or 2 stars) came back to find my story so they could remove their vote or change their vote to be higher. Which makes me think maybe there's some 'cleanup process' that runs occasionally and purges suspect votes or something(?).

Any thoughts or am I just overthinking things (which is entirely possible. )

Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjax View Post
Any thoughts or am I just overthinking things (which is entirely possible. )
The Valentine's Day contest ended this morning, and it was accompanies by sweeps to remove votes deemed invalid by the administrators. Those sweeps usually catch other stories that aren't in the contest. I had votes removed from five or six stories. The scores usually rise, but some can go up and others down.

My current project is "Wolves of Winter." Its a neo-western romance that will be done someday. I swear.

Love is Enough, is a sentimental ghost story about two flappers haunting an old theater, and what an aspiring playwright does for them.

My Holiday Contest entry is A Christmas Tart. It's a tale of true love and blackmail.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
joeyjax
Virgin

Cool. Thanks for explaining, NotWise. Makes perfect sense then.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
gunhilltrain
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
The Valentine's Day contest ended this morning, and it was accompanies by sweeps to remove votes deemed invalid by the administrators. Those sweeps usually catch other stories that aren't in the contest. I had votes removed from five or six stories. The scores usually rise, but some can go up and others down.
The last time there was a thread about sweeps the consensus was that no one was sure how the administrators made their decisions.

Just curious, anyone want to speculate further about how sweeps operate?

Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhilltrain View Post
That would self-defeating speculation. It would just give the trolls and vote-gamers more ideas about how to play the system.

My current project is "Wolves of Winter." Its a neo-western romance that will be done someday. I swear.

Love is Enough, is a sentimental ghost story about two flappers haunting an old theater, and what an aspiring playwright does for them.

My Holiday Contest entry is A Christmas Tart. It's a tale of true love and blackmail.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
The last time there was a thread about sweeps the consensus was that no one was sure how the administrators made their decisions.

I have plenty of ideas on how it works but the sweeps are like you buying a home security system and then posting the schematics on the front lawn. Not a good thing.

All Stories By TxRad

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.
Not to mention, battered, bruised, contused,
and completely dazed and confused.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Laurel has specifically asked that we don't do that.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
LupusDei
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
Laurel has specifically asked that we don't do that.
Secrecy is bad security. Still, we're talking about crowds of mostly barely literate basement dwellers, so, it does make some limited sense, and I will honor it.

Just say that obviously, some of the data analytical tools gathers about each visit (every site worth anything does it; some go as far as recording heatmaps of mouse cursor movements over the page, although mostly only as part of limited time/scope research) are being stored with each vote. Than, a script can discover patterns and use that for decision making. But I guess, you're all knowing at least that munch already, so I'm just stating the obvious.

Last edited by LupusDei : 02-12-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: autocorrect

Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #9
gunhilltrain
Really Really Experienced

I withdraw the question.

I've long noted that anonymity results in dark behavior in various corners of the Internet. Although, some people perceived as trolls may not think of themselves that way; they're doing what seems normal to them.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
I withdraw the question.

I've long noted that anonymity results in dark behavior in various corners of the Internet. Although, some people perceived as trolls may not think of themselves that way; they're doing what seems normal to them.
Does that group also include suicide bombers, mass murder shooters, and other people with small dicks?

All Stories By TxRad

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.
Not to mention, battered, bruised, contused,
and completely dazed and confused.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #11
KeithD
Literotica Guru

I think anonymity can be a mechanism for self-preservation on a Web site like this. Most of the account names here aren't any less anonymous, functionally, than the word "anonymous" or use of that word are.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #12
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
I think anonymity can be a mechanism for self-preservation on a Web site like this. Most of the account names here aren't any less anonymous, functionally, than the word "anonymous" or use of that word are.
Ayup.

Also, in my experience with other parts of the Internet, there are plenty of people prepared to be assholes under their real names.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #13
Son_of_Battles
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
Ayup.

Also, in my experience with other parts of the Internet, there are plenty of people prepared to be assholes under their real names.
True story

Old 02-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #14
49greg
Literotica Hack

As far as sweeps go, a year or two ago I had a feedback letter, from Anon of course, complaining that I had deleted his VOTE! He went on to say that I could delete his vote as often as I wanted and he would continue to come back with another alias and vote me another '1'.

At the time I had no idea that 'the sweep' existed. But now I realize that someone was watching the voting progress of a story more closely than I was.

Never heard from him again, but wow, for a while there I actually had an enemy. I had received complaints about removing comments before - once when Lit removed it before I saw it - but never before or since a complaint about removing a vote.

Of course the sad individual might have thought that his comment was a vote?

As for removing comments, I've only ever removed those that were threats against my person.