Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
JanusGoneAwry
Really Experienced

Walking in sunshine or lurking in shadows?

Ok! Ok! I know that y'all are getting Janus Fatigue Syndrom (JFS)--yes it's a thing look it up--but I have a question that I am very curious about.

Do you write erotic fiction out in the open and with the support of loved ones (or liked, liked is ok too) or

Are you relegated to writing in secret because of your desire, or actual need, to keep your hobby off the radar?

For the record, I am NOT talking about your anonymity here. I'm curious about your situation IRL.

― Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Stories

~ ~ ~ My innocuous musings ~ ~ ~

Old 02-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Paul_Chance
Amused and Amazed

I write openly. My circle of friends are often my test readers. When Im entering a relationship Im open about it very early, that way I dont have to sneak around. Often the writing becomes part of the relationship.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
JanusGoneAwry
Really Experienced

I'll go first, or second, second's good

I am totally and completely in the shadows. My wife found some of my stories several years ago and while not angry was decidedly unimpressed and furthermore, she finds all Romance and Erotica in poor taste. The funny thing is she's a Dane and is not a prude in any way other than her abhorrence of the stories I thoroughly enjoy writing.

I suppose I should just put away my pen and pad of paper and remind my self of the adage "Happy wife, happy life" but I have been taking large doses of the medication called Fukital for the past 10 years and well yeah, that!

So this forum and you all, either willingly or unwillingly, are my writing family and it's hard to overestimate how much I'm enjoying the camaraderie and esprit de corps since joining your ranks.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
AfterDusk
Really Experienced

I operate more or less in the shadows. It isnt necessarily that my family or friends dont know I write, they simply have never expressed an interest in reading it so I dont offer. I suppose if pressed Id admit to it. My last two exs knew I wrote erotica and I made it available to them but neither was that interested in reading it.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
MelissaBaby
Literotica Guru

I'm pretty open with my friends and family. My husband and my grandmother read everything I write. My mother say that she reads me, but I don't believe her.

Chapter Twenty Four online now!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
LoquiSordidaAdMe
Literotica Guru

Shadows.

I'm subject to frequent background checks and security clearances for the kind of work I do. I don't need some investigator from the Bible Belt arbitrarily deciding that writing dirty stories makes me an unsuitable candidate for my next contract. But someday I'll retire, and then things will be different.
Spencerfiction called it "Unputdownable"

The rest of my prosaic little stroke stories

Old 02-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Completely in the shadows. Nobody who knows me knows I write stories here.

SimonDoom

My stories are at https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
OmnislashXX
Really Really Experienced

In the shadows. My parents are too old fashioned to understand, my friends are usually very secretive when it comes to sex. I even have one friend who says erotism is not art. Of course, I disagree.

I can't really tell anyone just how perverted my mind is, even though my Dad found my stash of hentai when he decided to clean out my room because of my illness/injury. And boxed it up.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
KeithD
Literotica Guru

In the dark.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Dappled light. My wife knows I publish "adult" stories on Literotica. I've talked to her about some of them but to the best of my knowledge she's never read any.

The rest of the family and even my employer know I write, but when they ask I tell them "Short stories and novellas. SciFi, Romance, drama -- I haven't really settled down." I don't say, "I write smut." I don't even say it's on Lit.

I did give one of my sons-in-law a slightly sanitized version of one story to see if he would like to animate it. He liked the story, but it was too long and involved for what he wanted to do.

My current long-term project is "Wolves of Winter." Its a neo-western romance that will be done someday -- I swear.

Watch Me! is my entry in Literotica's Nude Day contest.

One Night in Gormaz is my offering for the "One Night in XXX" story event. It's an historical fantasy from Spanish history.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
JanusGoneAwry
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWise View Post
I don't say, "I write smut." I don't even say it's on Lit
I have used the term smut on here but for me, it is an aspect of my self-deprecating sense of humor.

In reality, I don't write smut--although it might make for an interesting exercise--nor have I read any here, yet.

I do know what smut is, however. I found a paperback under my parent's bed when I was 12 titled Hot Rod and it wasn't about fast cars. It made for good jackoff material and being the entrepreneur that I am, I split the book into 6 pieces gave each a fake cover then rented them out to classmates at school. I was raking in the dough until one of my clients got caught noisily pleasing himself in the boy's restroom by the Assistant Principal and he ratted me out. I got suspended for 3 days over that one but my dad's disdain for the establishment was so palpable that the Principle was the color of chalk by the time we left. The fact that he was 6'2" weighing 300 lbs and was wearing his biker leathers probably played a roll in the Principle's demeanor too. On my parent's side, I had to pay for the book I'd molested and that was the end of it.

Que ser, ser

Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
KeithD
Literotica Guru

Render that in at least 750 words, and you've got yourself a Literotica story.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanusGoneAwry View Post
In reality, I don't write smut--although it might make for an interesting exercise--nor have I read any here, yet.
Don't worry. The smut will present itself to you some time.

My current long-term project is "Wolves of Winter." Its a neo-western romance that will be done someday -- I swear.

Watch Me! is my entry in Literotica's Nude Day contest.

One Night in Gormaz is my offering for the "One Night in XXX" story event. It's an historical fantasy from Spanish history.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
RocketLauncher
Literotica Guru

Open about it. Harry reads and edits all my stories. I write ones for him on occasion. It helps if your partner shares your hobbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeskr View Post
The vb and RL alts playing together are pretty funny, amusing even.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #15
JanusGoneAwry
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
What are these WORDS of which you speak?

Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
KeithD
Literotica Guru

Words are collections of letters that are preceded and followed by empty space unless they come at the beginning of a paragraph, in which case they are preceded by a paragraph return, or are the last in before a pause is necessry or the end of the time that they are coupling with other words, in which case they are ended by some form of "OK, you need to take a breath and regroup here or you're finished for now" punctuation.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Blind_Justice
Literotica Guru

I make no secret of my hobby. I'm not rubbing it in everyone's face, but when someone asks "what do you do to pass the time" I can counter with a smug "I write smut." Is a conversation starter every time. Not that it landed me any publishing deals yet, but I'm still hoping

Mud & Magic, Chapter 4
The road from farm boy to sorcerer is a twisty one, filled with grueling practice and unexpected discoveries.

My stuff on Lit
Blind_Justice on Patreon For those crazy few who want to support my writing with more than flames and 1-bombs.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #18
KeithD
Literotica Guru

I say I write mostly pen name books and short stories, which is the truth. Since I'm usually working on something for the mainstream, I can always talk about that if they want to pursue it further.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #19
beachbum1958
Literotica Guru

Location: On the Cte d'Azure, midway btween Cannes and St Tropez, with the Mediterranean in front of my home, and a lagoon full of flamingos behind
My wife is (usually) my beta reader and editorial consultant i.e. what she likes, gets left in, what she doesn't like, which is not much, tbh, gets booted out unless I really like it, in which case debate ensues.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDoom View Post
Completely in the shadows. Nobody who knows me knows I write stories here.
Quote:
In the dark.
I would say totally shrouded also, but I opened up a bit to one relative, a professional author -- who has not spoken to me since, but who likely won't reveal me. I didn't name the site or my pen name, just a few story synopses. That may have been a mistake.

I can envision situations where I'm in a public space socializing slightly with total strangers, and when unknown somebodies ask me what I do, I'll answer, "I write smut," and await the reactions. I'll omit the detail of being a software engineer in an insurance firm. "Fuck with me and I'll raise your premiums." That's probably scarier than smut.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #21
Kantarii
I'm Not A Bitch!

Im always on my iPhone working on my stuff so I guess Im a mobile T-girl. Highly visible in that sense, Im probably lurking in the shadows of someone elses mind since some men desire me. Its okay, though. My alluring green eyes are magnetic.🌷Kant
I am your dreams made reality ... And, the lust in your eyes...
♫♪ But, what's puzzling you is the nature of my game! ♪♫

I gave you my opinion. If you want facts, look elsewhere.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #22
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:
Better age it up by 6 years, though!

Me: openly. My partner beta-s all my stories here, and the first few were written for another partner. Extended family are aware of my Smashwords stuff and a couple of them have bought my first story from here.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #23
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

In the shadowlands and compartmentalised. Writing is less complicated than an affair would ever be, and ultimately more revealing.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

E-books and print books available from: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/A_A_Cain

Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #24
JanusGoneAwry
Really Experienced

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramblethorn View Post
Better age it up by 6 years, though!
Can you just imagine: "I'm a freshman in college and my smut rental business has taken off. The rest of the guys can't wait to get hold of a copy of my all-time best rental Hot Rod. Sure the pages are a little dogeared, and so what that there's a smattering of dried up jizz on most of the "good" parts. It's as good as it gets and as far as I'm concerned high-quality jack off material will never go out of style."

I believe "that guy" is going to get beat to a pulp on a regular basis.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #25
RubenR
Literotica Guru

I consist of many different facets, and no-one will ever see the whole of me.
I'm not lurking, though; this part of me is keeping it's head up high, and basks in the radiation from the laptop screen.