Lit Apple Mac, iPhone, iPad User Group

.
Apologize for three week delay in posting.



Resizing an image in macOS using Preview


Open the image using Preview. From the Preview menu bar select Tools > Adjust Size. An information window will open.

2DVTjMs.jpg




There are six units if measure available. We're using pixels.

oNebYa9.png




Select “Scale proportionally.” If you change either the width or height, the other value changes to maintain the proportions.
If not, it will unlock and image will distort.

xFJMZp4.jpg




Note - Previously reduced width of this image so not stretching screen then staff removes.



I'm changing the width.

GLBT Chatter forum - you'll want to reduce the width to approximately 900 - 1,000 pixels or risk having the image removed or your post wiped empty.

KURKA4w.jpg





Type in desired dimension and the other will automatically adjust. Click OK.

6KTEhhs.png




The sample displayed is not the dimensions you selected. You'll see the resized image after saving then opening again.

t3SnFya.png
 
Hiya Sandy,
I am a wonderful iPad Pro owner, in the Lit. Forums I want to include a image from another post, I forgot how can you help me ?
 
I happen to work for Apple as a senior technical advisor. Will try to chime in to help out now and again. iCloud Drive and the new Files app has really helped me to store my submissions and post them in the submissions form on my iPhone since I use it more than my Mac to read and browse Lit. You can store native Mac files from things like Pages, Numbers, and Keynote etc, but you can also do it for MS Office files too.

- Irish

PS. I sure as hell don’t want work finding out that I’m a member here and dealing with that so no I will not give away any personal information related to my job or who I am so don’t ask. General questions I’d be happy to answer as well as some tech support stuff
 
.
This is more a service rather than the Apple products.



AT&T more than doubles 'administration fee' on post-paid phones, tablets and smartwatches


AT&T could add some $970 million to its annual revenue by increasing from 76 cents to nearly $2 an "administrative fee" that shows up as a line item buried deep in customers' monthly bills.

This fee not only impacts monthly cell phone subscribers, but those using cellular service on watches and tablets as well. That includes users of the new Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE support

In a research note, AT&T is looking for new ways to increase revenue after spending $85 billion to acquire Time Warner, then turning around to spend more to acquire digital advertising company AppNexus.






And as Ernestine said in the early 70's


8wkYjLS.jpg
 
.
Been wasting time figuring out how to put this together but you'll say something if you have a question or problem.


Repair 101 - Restart




Few weeks ago received a phone call that their keyboard stopped working. I said to restart and let me know if it didn't fix the problem. They argued had just turned on their Mac two hours earlier, however it fixed their problem.

When you restart your Mac it's reset, wiping away anything that was happening previously, which can often fix problems by resetting things . Of course, this doesn’t mean the problem won’t reoccur. But this fresh start often removes the offending gremlin, at least temporarily.


gremlins2_mac2.jpg

Mac Plus in Gremlins 2: The New Batch




Then last week I had a problem have only seen a few times in years. First my Mac was acting sluggish and choking doing simple tasks. Usually it's something with a web browser, however didn't see anything. Checked Activity Monitor but didn't see anything suspicious. Then by chance noticed the majority of my available storage had vanished.

cRduLww.png



In approximately an hour two thirds of my available storage space was used. Based on where the files were, didn't care what and why they they were created and I was confident the files would be deleted.


xawcaNZ.png




Restarted and Voilà!

jkT3TUS.png

.
 
Yeah, I tend to go a couple of weeks between reboots and usually when I do reboot it's only because I need the 10 GB of space that's been eaten up by temp files.

My 2012-model MBA is starting to show its age and I want to upgrade, but the options are underwhelming right now. A lot of the new features from recent years feel like a backwards step for me (don't take away my MagSafe dammit!) and the performance improvements don't look that impressive unless I fork out thousands for a MBP. Hoping for better news soon.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax

The .au Apple store has new model MBPs starting at AUD 2699, almost exactly $2000 US :-/ The older model (pre-touch-bar) starts at AUD 1899. If anybody knows a legit Australian vendor selling them for significantly cheaper than that, I'm all ears.




Hope these help

https://www.macpricesaustralia.com.au/where-to-buy/vic/

https://www.macpricesaustralia.com.au/where-to-buy/nsw/

https://www.macpricesaustralia.com.au/where-to-buy/wa/

https://www.macpricesaustralia.com.au/where-to-buy/sa/
 
Last edited:
.
IT'S OFFICIAL: Apple is the first US company worth $1,000,000,000,000 (AAPL)


Apple achieved this milestone by hitting a stock price of $207.05 and above in intraday trading today, giving it a market cap slightly over $1 trillion, based on its 4,829,926,000 outstanding shares as of July 20, 2018, which the company disclosed in its quarterly 10-Q filing with the SEC on Wednesday.


Tuesday Apple announced its fiscal 2018 third quarter ended June 30, 2018. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $53.3 billion and net income of $11.5 billion. It now has $243.7 billion in cash on hand.



A bit of history:

October 6, 1997: Michael Dell makes an infamously bleak appraisal of Apple’s fortunes. Asked what he would do with Apple, the founder of Dell Inc. says he would “shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.”



It may not be the last laugh, but on Friday afternoon (January 13, 2006), after the close of the stock market, Steve Jobs, the chief executive of Apple Computer, shared an e-mail chuckle with his employees at the expense of Dell, a big rival, reports the New York Times. The message was prompted by the 12 percent surge in Apple's stock price the past week, which pushed the company\'s market capitalization to $72.13 billion, passing Dell's value of $71.97 billion.



Then Dell announced on February 5, 2013 that it had struck a $24.4 billion leveraged buyout deal.






DimjKUW.jpg







The top five U.S. publicly-traded companies, based on market value, as of market close 08/01/2018:
1. Apple (AAPL) – $990.401B
2. Amazon.com (AMZN) – $876.554B
3. Alphabet (GOOGL) – $840.191B
4. Microsoft (MSFT) – $816.570B
5. Berkshire Hathaway (BRKA) – $496.417B

Selected companies’ current market values:
• Facebook (FB) – $495.591B
• Walmart (WMT) – $260.382B
• Intel (INTC) – $225.063B
• Disney (DIS) – $167.958B
• IBM (IBM) – $131.728B
• Adobe (ADBE) – $121.441B
• Tesla (TSLA) – $51.081B
• Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) – $37.058B
• Spotify (SPOT) – $32.088B
• Sirius XM (SIRI) – $30.788B
• Twitter (TWTR) – $23.929B
 
Last edited:
.
Forgot I had these.



We've heard "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind".


tNrtXtQ.png



Albert Einstein famously quipped, “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” While the Nobel laureate was obviously advocating for the benefits of cluttered desks, he likely had no idea that his question would inspire researchers decades later…and that those researchers would eventually give him an answer.

In a study published in Psychological Science, a team of researchers headed by Kathleen Vohs found that working at a tidy (Einstein would say empty) desk influences people to be more conventional, more generous and to make healthier choices. But, perhaps more interestingly, working at a cluttered desk positively influences people’s creative thinking ability. It appears Einstein was on to something.



A couple more creative minds

Med7ff3.jpg


6p91Gyu.jpg




You may have seen this picture before made into black and white, which makes the rounds from time to time, again capturing the minimalism of Jobs and therefore Apple known under Jobs.

STEVE JOBS AT HOME IN 1982 — “This was a very typical time. I was single. All you needed was a cup of tea, a light, and your stereo, you know, and that’s what I had.” —Steve Jobs

vdAfxnq.jpg





Getty Images made available an August 2004 photo shoot by Diana Walker, a favorite photographer of Steve Jobs' then at Time magazine.
The photos were taken a few weeks after Jobs' surgery to remove a malignant pancreatic tumor.
Only three of the 15 photos center on Jobs' actual desk in his Palo Alto home.


ImxnIJO.jpg


SORQFTM.jpg


pK5zUoX.jpg




I like the mini Mac Pro/cheese grater in the first photo and the iMac on the floor in the last photo.
.
 
.
As cyber attacks and data breaches are commonplace, and 87 million Facebook users, and reportedly a much greater number more; personal information was shared in the Facebook Data Scandal, putting it mildly. our security and privacy is and has been at risk.


Last week FCC Chairman Ajit Pai was caught lying to Congress of an alleged cyber attack to distract attention from the popular outrage against the net-neutrality repeal effort. Actually the FCC's servers were overwhelmed after comedian John Oliver focused on the net-neutrality debate in an episode of Last Week Tonight. The inspector general's report makes clear its investigation found no evidence of a such an attack and that FCC officials had little basis for making their statements that there had been such an attack. Contrary to the officials' assertions to members of Congress that their analysis had led them to that conclusion, the investigation found they had done no "substantive" analysis at all. The lack of evidence for the attack was so clear so early on, that the investigation quickly swiveled from being an inquiry into a cyber attack into an examination of why FCC officials misled Congress.
Gee, imagine that, can't trust a politician pushing their own agenda. Quelle Surprise. :rolleyes:


Even Lit had 14 bots during the past three months; also one member posting links to videos with pop-up windows containing scareware, Laurel took care of all of these.


All I’ve seen on Lit is about pop-up ads, and testing a Windows PC for problems. Have been working on some posts, however with the recent Sextortion scam in the wild, starting to post sooner than I want. Will be posting in pieces so not to confuse or overwhelm someone.


Hope to do next post this weekend about this Sextortion scam. However for now, it claims to have installed malware. Don't fret, it's a scam. Here are some free products you can download:

1. Avast Free Mac Security goes the extra mile to protect your Mac with an unusually lengthy feature list.

2. Avira Antivirus for Mac takes a simple, lightweight approach. There's no web filtering, network scanning or other security extras: it's purely focused on keeping your system malware-free.

3. Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac is a lightweight free malware hunter which can track down and remove both Mac and Windows-related threats.

4. Malwarebytes for Mac is simple, straightforward and effective.

5. Sophos Home for Mac gives you more features in its free products than many competitors provide in their paid editions.






Not to be a bitch, and told that I come by it naturally, don't be a lurker, instead please post when you've a question or problem regarding this topic; or send me a PM if you don't want all of Lit knowing about it.
ResEdit.png
Sandy


7vJyIEy.jpg

.
 
.
don't be a lurker, instead please post when you've a question or problem regarding this topic
.

i've often wondered...when i run Activity Monitor, it lists all the processes that are running. Is there a list that show what should be there and what shouldn't ?
 
i've often wondered...when i run Activity Monitor, it lists all the processes that are running. Is there a list that show what should be there and what shouldn't ?

Not that I"m aware of. As Mac OS X/OS X/macOS has evolved during the past 18 years, there have been new processes and others depreciated.

Here's a short list of background processes and daemons. Keep in mind it was posted in 2005.

Also it depends what you've installed to launch at startup, when you log in, and applications you run.
 
.
Apologize as this is from 3 days ago



Apple has determined that Onavo Protect, a Facebook-owned security app, is in violation of its rules, and asked the social network to take it down — which it did. Onavo Protect, offers users a number of security features, But it also monitors the apps that users use, reporting the data back to Facebook

Onavo, promised to "keep you and your data safe when you browse and share information on the web," but the app's real purpose was tracking user activity across multiple different apps to learn insights about how Facebook customers use third-party apps.

Whenever a person using Onavo opens up an app or website, traffic is redirected to Facebook's servers, which log the action in a database to allow Facebook to draw conclusions about app usage from aggregated data.


Customers who have installed Onavo but do not want to be tracked by Facebook should uninstall the app from their iOS device.

The takedown does not affect users who already downloaded the app, which will continue to function normally. Due to the takedown, however, Facebook will be unable to push out updates for the title on iOS.


Apple provided the following statement on the removal of Onavo: We work hard to protect user privacy and data security throughout the Apple ecosystem. With the latest update to our guidelines, we made it explicitly clear that apps should not collect information about which other apps are installed on a user's device for the purposes of analytics or advertising/marketing and must make it clear what user data will be collected and how it will be used.


Critics have long held that Facebook doesn't do enough to advertise its ownership of Onavo — you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of its description in smartphone app stores to see that disclosure; something not every would-be user may do. Earlier this year, privacy advocates were upset when the core Facebook app suggested users download Onavo Protect, without disclosing that relationship. It's been called "vampiric" and "spyware" by pundits.


The news was first reported by The Wall Street Journal
.
 
.
iPhone 8 Logic Board Replacement Program


Apple announced the launch of a new logic board repair program, which the company will offeri free repairs for iPhone 8 models that are affected by an issue that can cause restarts, freezing, and unresponsive devices.

To check if you have an iPhone 8 that can be repaired under this new repair program, Apple has created a website where your serial number can be entered.


If you have an eligible device you can make an appointment at an Apple retail store, contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or arrange for mail-in service through Apple Support.



compare_footer_large.jpg

.
 
september12mediainvites.jpg



Last week Apple has sent out invitations for an event at its Cupertino, California, campus — an event that is almost sure to reveal the next generation of iPhone, as the company has done each September since 2012.

The "gather round" tagline most likely refers to Apple's new campus, Apple Park, which features a signature "spaceship" design that's round.

This year is expected to be an "S year," meaning any new iPhones are likely to be an evolution, rather than a revolution.

Apple may use a second October event to unveil new iPads and Macs as it has done in past years when they were introduced in the fall.






Let me know if you're interested is seeing some photos of spaceship building and Apple Park.
IMO, it is cool. It has curved glass walls, windows, and doors, among other things.
.
 
aVoOGA3.jpg


This isn't the whole poop, but I wanted to use that image.



"Batterygate" issue came to the forefront after people discovered that older iPhones curiously became faster after replacing the battery. So before you decide you need to buy a new phone, try replacing your current one's battery and see if that improves things.


Last year, Apple instituted a program to replace out-of-warranty batteries for the iPhone 6 or later for just $29 — a $50 price drop from the usual $79 cost.

If you own an iPhone 6 or later and have battery issues, you have until December 31 to visit an Apple Store to take advantage of this low price to replace your battery.


Last December, Apple acknowledged that it had been quietly "throttling," or lowering, the performance of older iPhones. It said the goal was to preserve battery life on those older phones and prevent them from shutting down unexpectedly.
 
I need help with my profile, I can’t seem to change or add anything with iOS, is it flash?
 
I need help with my profile, I can’t seem to change or add anything with iOS, is it flash?

No, it's a broken link. It's been that way over a year. The only thing you can do to add information about yourself is to put it as a signature block.
 
I need help with my profile, I can’t seem to change or add anything with iOS, is it flash?

No, it's a broken link. It's been that way over a year. The only thing you can do to add information about yourself is to put it as a signature block.


May want to give this a try

09-02-2017, 12:33 AM

Sorry about the issue. It's a linking issue that we are working on now!

In the meantime, you can update your Lit Profile here:
https://literotica.com/my/#/user/profile

Thank you for the reports. :D
 
.
Damn Seems they're early.



As it does every year, Apple has taken down its online store in preparation for the unveiling new products later in the day.



W2XrnGZ.gif




Be right back.

We’re making updates to the Apple Store. Check back soon.
 
.
Sorry 'm late, also have to security issues to post.



With today's announcement of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, Apple has discontinued the iPhone SE and the iPhone 6s.



Apple's new iPhone lineup:

  • iPhone 7 with pricing starting at $449

  • iPhone 7 Plus with pricing starting at $569

  • iPhone 8 with pricing starting at $599

  • iPhone 8 Plus with pricing starting at $699

  • iPhone XR with pricing starting at $749

  • iPhone XS with pricing starting at $999

  • iPhone XS Max with pricing starting at $1,099


Apple's iPhone XS and XS Max smartphones will be available for pre-order this Friday, with a release date coming on September 21, while the iPhone XR will be available for pre-order on October 19 with a ship date of October 26.



Soon after announcing the new iPhone XR and XS models, Apple showed off its current lineup of iPhones. Notably missing: the iPhone X, the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, and the iPhone SE.
Those four models are disco'd and no longer available through Apple's website.


It's no surprise that Apple would drop the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus. The company typically discontinues older models each year when it launches new ones. It started offering those phones in 2015, and they've since been replaced by the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models, both of which Apple still sells.

But Apple's apparent decision to drop the iPhone SE is somewhat unexpected. The company introduced that model in 2016 and updated it last year with increased storage.

The iPhone X, introduced in November, it's notable that Apple would discontinue a product less than a year after its introduction, especially one as generally well-received as the X. However, the new iPhone XS has the same starting price of $999 and better specs overall, perhaps making the X redundant.






xrBwbVA.jpg


sorry, couldn't help myself, was too easy



Will update this when I get a chance
 
Last edited:
Back
Top