Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
49greg
Literotica Hack

Comments and favorites coming in groups?

I haven't gotten much posted in a while, just one in 2018, but Have been checking my control panel nearly every day - between bouts of staring at partly finished or barely started stories that I can't seem to get finished.

One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites one of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else.

Then nothing for a while, then it happens again weeks, or days, or months later with another story.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

My thought was that it was happening in clumps like that when one of my stories got listed in the 'random stories' list of whatever category story hub.

Edited for typos etc.

Last edited by 49greg : 02-16-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49greg View Post
I haven't gotten much posted in a while, just one in 2018, but Have been checking my control panel nearly every day - between bouts of staring at partly finished or barely started stories that I can't seem to get going on.

One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites on of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else.

Then nothing for a while, then it happens again weeks or days or months later with another story.

My thought was that it was happening in clumps like that when one of my stories got listed in the 'random stories' list of whatever category story hub.
Recent comments get posted on the category front page. It's most likely that, folk seeing an intriguing comment and go take a look for themselves. It's surprising, the cyclic life of stories - I'm seeing older stories still getting faved, but I put that down to folk trawling through my back catalogue, off the back of new content. In your case, with no new content, it's something less obvious.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

E-books and print books available from: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/A_A_Cain

Old 02-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

I rarely receive comments outside of LW and my banana-slug incest story. My catalog still receives faves, sometimes all entries in a long series being faved at once by one reader, sometimes a few readers faving one story all at once. Few are un-faved. I am happy enough. I do not try to judge reader psychology. They do what they do.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
LoquiSordidaAdMe
Literotica Guru

Comments are also moderated. If you post a comment if your own, you'll see that it doesn't show up on the story until a while later. No one seems to know if a human being reviews them, or if they queue up and get processed in batches by an algorithm, or if they are cached to reduce server load.
Spencerfiction called it "Unputdownable"

The rest of my prosaic little stroke stories

Old 02-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
HeyAll
Literotica Guru

Quote:
One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites on of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else.
I've noticed this too-- could be a coincidence or maybe not.

Sometimes I'll see someone leave a comment on my story, then afterwards someone favorites it.

As stated, people do look at the comment updates; both on the overall comment list, and the comments on the Hub.

Actually, I look at the Hub list too sometimes to see what people are reading. If there's a glowing review or a catchy title, who knows, a reader would be inclined to open it and read it.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #6
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Another thing that I think happens occasionally: somebody reads the story, loves it, comments/likes, and then recommends it to a friend who also comments/likes.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:22 AM   #7
SamScribble
Yeah, still just a guru

My stories' comments and favourites have always come in groups: groups of one.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Privates1stClass
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Comments and favorites coming in groups?
I recall from a statistics and probability class this situation often occurs.

Your observation generally follows Murphy's Law of Probable Dispersal: Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

It's interesting in a data-obsessive way to watch the ups and downs of reader reaction to stories over time. Sometimes daily views will go up noticeably for older stories, and I don't know why. I haven't published anything in a while, so it's not that. I imagine the comment clumping occurs, as others have noted, because comments get posted for people to see, and people are responding to them.

SimonDoom

My stories are at https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #10
redzinger
Literotica Guru

I know we should never rely on votes or comments, but sometimes, I really need the boost that comes with knowing someone has enjoyed my efforts. Endless shouting into the void only gets you so far.

Twitter: @Toria_Lyons / Website/blog: www.torialyons.co.uk

Old 02-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #11
astuffedshirt_perv
Literotica Guru

Quote:
One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites one of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else...

yeah, i have seen the same...posted same question over 4 years ago!

My stories: A Stuffed Shirt Perv

Achieved Lovecraf68's coveted "That's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard" status in Nov 2013

Old 02-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #12
soflabbwlvr
Prescription Strength

Quote:
I haven't gotten much posted in a while, just one in 2018, but Have been checking my control panel nearly every day - between bouts of staring at partly finished or barely started stories that I can't seem to get finished.

One thing I noticed was that very often when somebody comments or favorites one of my posted stories, there's someone else doing it with the same story, sometimes more than one someone else.

Then nothing for a while, then it happens again weeks, or days, or months later with another story.

Edited for typos etc.
I seem to have recruited my own personal anonymous troll. Someone went through and left negative comments and 1 votes on at least four stories last weekend. Who takes the time to read and comment on multiple stories from one author when they hate the author's work?

Queen of Sorrows

Deep Undercover

Old 02-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzinger View Post
I know we should never rely on votes or comments, but sometimes, I really need the boost that comes with knowing someone has enjoyed my efforts. Endless shouting into the void only gets you so far.
I agree completely. Why publish a story at all unless you want someone to read it and enjoy it? If all you care about is the creation of it you can keep it secret on your hard drive. I write the stories that I want to write, but I derive pleasure from knowing others have read and enjoyed them. It especially tickles me to get a favorable comment about an old story that no one has said anything about for a while.

SimonDoom

My stories are at https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #14
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDoom View Post
I agree completely. Why publish a story at all unless you want someone to read it and enjoy it? If all you care about is the creation of it you can keep it secret on your hard drive. I write the stories that I want to write, but I derive pleasure from knowing others have read and enjoyed them. It especially tickles me to get a favorable comment about an old story that no one has said anything about for a while.
Me too, I love the comments and feedback. Just knowing someone's enjoyed your story enough to leave a comment, good or bad, is great.

Chloe's latest is One Night in Xanadu", where a Princess of the Xiongnu finds herself in the Great Khan's summer palace and you can also find it in the One Night in XXX Story Event
And here's Chloe's second to latest, a little Gothic horror romance, Midnight at the Villa Diodati, where the Lady Li-hua Baskerville finds herself in Geneva in 1812, with her husband, Mary and Percy, Claire, Byron and one or two others....

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology
And Chloe's first novel, "Mistaken Identity", is also now available (on that website that sells books)