Artist's Block

L0tus

The Sweet Heart
Joined
Jul 24, 2013
Posts
1,798
How to over come Artist's block?

For the past few years now, I've haven't been able to get over this hump and I haven't finished anything solid in what seems like years. I think I've been too competive about my style that it really stopped me from making any developments at all. I want to be able to get back into the groove but I've been lacking the drive to push myself to finish things I start.

All I can muster are unfinished doodles. Yes, pretty uncommitted but I like to roam and sometimes never look back as I toss things into the bin.

Any suggestions, fellow Lit'sters?
 
In order to be good at anything, you have to find your passion with it. Crapcan all your unfinished "projects", and concentrate on something that stimulates YOU and work on that.

Now, you don't actually have to toss your unfinished work, but absolutely clear it out of your work space and put it away for a while. Once you get your groove back, then readdress the works in progress to see if there is anything there worth saving, or do you need to start over and go in a different direction with it. Be ok with your decisions and move on.
 
Ugh, this happens to me a lot, I have so much unfinished work stashed away. One thing that helps me, is for someone to ask for a specific thing, and then give me a deadline. You you don't give me a deadline, and tell me to do it when I have time? Guess what? I never have time. Give me a specific deadline and I'll have it done.
Sometimes it just helps discussing ideas with other artists, maybe they have something unfinished that you may collaborate on. Team art can be a lot of fun.
 
I don't know particularly what type of art you do, but I'm a musician, so my "art" advice will pertain to that, but it's transferable I'm sure.

Any and every artist has droughts. I went probably ten years without writing anything I was proud of. I wrote songs for an album I helped on one time. I wrote two songs and both made it on the CD. I remember we had a deadline and I wrote two songs in about an hour. People told me they loved them. To me, it was complete rubbish. I wrote them just to write them. I was not inspired. I just wrote it because I needed something.

I personally find that inspiration comes in two extremes. It comes from being overjoyed and it comes from being miserable. That's why so many bands just did out after the first couple albums. They have a story to tell and they are pushing to make it as artists. But then they reach success and they become mediocre and just put stuff out there to do it, rather than having a story to tell.

I've written more music in the last year than the last ten years. That's thanks to one person who has come into my life and offered a beauty and inspiration that didn't exist before.

I think good art and inspiration comes in peaks and valleys. Look at some of the most classic songs of all time: Unchained Melody, I Will Always Love You, Fire and Rain, We've Got Tonight, etc. Those songs all have a story. They tell a beautiful or woeful tale. But in any event, they tell you something gripping.

Find a reason to write. If you don't have a story, no one cares to listen. You can create, just to create. But it will be dull and lifeless. I see loads of musicians coming out of jazz school with amazing skill. But they have no story to tell. Then I watch a guy like Stevie Wonder or James Taylor play and they absolutely mesmerize you with what they have to say. It can be the simplest tune, yet they paint a vivid picture.

I got lucky. My inspiration danced into my life unexpectedly. I don't have enough time in the day to put down what I want to. But search for something that makes your soul and your skin burn.

Also, something does make me a bit more inspired is new equipment. I don't know what your particular "canvas" is upon which you create, but I find a new guitar or amp or whatever makes me play a little more and each instrument inspires different things.
 
I think I've been too competive about my style that it really stopped me from making any developments at all.

One thing on this...

Don't be afraid to fuck up. I'm a severe perfectionist when it comes to music. If it's not perfect, my inclination is not to play it or whatever. However, I've found recently that it doesn't have to be perfect in technicality to be perfect in action.

I've found something about my musicianship I've absolutely hated for every bit of my musical career is not quite as bad as I perceived it. In fact, there are some who absolutely love it.

Don't be scared to mess up. Don't compare yourselves with others.
 
Thanks for the words pmann and haha_on_me. I'm thoroughly glad that its not an oddity to be a funk that's lasted this long. I thought this thread was long broken and forgotten but seeing that the dates decided not to snip it with some nifty scissors, a good response on my end is needed :)
 
Get the book Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. There are online groups that do the book together (it's a 12 week program), and it has helped me immensely. Write your morning pages to get the clutter out of your head, and be good to your artist. Go weekly on an artist date with yourself and you will get through your blocks.
 
I am multidisciplinary - glass art beads (yes I play with fire) and jewelry and I am a classical singer as well.
 
Finally responding back after mmmm...6 months? Wooooowzaaas!

Thanks to everyone who's given in some feedback. Last night I finally broke my streak and figured I'd start small and commit myself to finishing my work versus leaving unfinished monstrosities. I came back and thought about what you said Pman. Most of my work didn't have a story and for most of my life I've been drawing from a competitive approach.

I did make a big improvement when I started making comics but my technical capacity became a road block and persistently prevented me from finishing projects. So yesterday I finally took a small step and forced myself to commit to one page. I decided to go with an abstract approach, therefore there's no standard that I need to work up to, just straight forward expression.
 
I saw your post is older, but I do art/design for a living, and I just let things flow, until it feels right, I try not to force things. I use the art of others, to inspire my own creativity. I call my work "free flow" when it comes to me. What are you after for your art? For selling, personal gratification? Any particular style aside from abstract? Best wishes!

I definitely have a cartoony style, aside from abstract. I haven't worked on anything for bout 10 years now so it feels a bit foreign to get my hands dirty again and letting things flow since I've become accustomed to planing, thought out structures and generally drafts. This revival of sorts is definitely a center of self exploration and gratification. Hopefully I'll be able to commit to something more than abstract with the oncoming months.
 
Turn your art into your only source of income. Feeding yourself and paying bills does wonders.

I now associate a lot of creative pursuit with an ADD mindset whether or not the actual condition is there...I always produce more under a hard deadline. Pm above related a story like that....

the opposite though is also true...when I NEED an escape and I SHOULD be doing something else than the creative pursuit I am doing the flow comes as the mind works overtime to avoid what ever it is I am avoiding.

So make it your work or your guilty pleasure in stolen moments is my advice.

It's ALWAYS easier to take a nap and dream when you shouldn't.
 
I now associate a lot of creative pursuit with an ADD mindset whether or not the actual condition is there...I always produce more under a hard deadline. Pm above related a story like that....

the opposite though is also true...when I NEED an escape and I SHOULD be doing something else than the creative pursuit I am doing the flow comes as the mind works overtime to avoid what ever it is I am avoiding.

So make it your work or your guilty pleasure in stolen moments is my advice.

It's ALWAYS easier to take a nap and dream when you shouldn't.

Sound and sage advice. I'm a designer, so I can relate. I too work better under pressure than when I have no specific deadlines. Though, for production work, that is a good thing. When it comes to unscheduled/solicited creativity, it comes to me when I'm relaxing and not always thinking about work. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, put the perfectionism aside and give yourself the freedom to just play.

i'm part of a creative project where I have to create a piece weekly. It's good at instilling discipline in a way, but it's also nice to remind myself that I'm more creative than I think I am when I get into the production rut.

The best part about creativity is that you can't ever use it up and the more you use it, the more creativity it breeds. <3

Good luck!

~Red
 
How to over come Artist's block?

For the past few years now, I've haven't been able to get over this hump and I haven't finished anything solid in what seems like years. I think I've been too competive about my style that it really stopped me from making any developments at all. I want to be able to get back into the groove but I've been lacking the drive to push myself to finish things I start.

All I can muster are unfinished doodles. Yes, pretty uncommitted but I like to roam and sometimes never look back as I toss things into the bin.

Any suggestions, fellow Lit'sters?

Been there many times. It's a difficult hurdle indeed. Most of my greatest inspiration derives from sadness .
Wired? What mood drives your innermost passions?
:)
 
Sometimes inspiration hits us at the most unexpected moments. I can recall many nights that I sat and stared at a blank computer screen. Trying to force an idea, but nothing happened.

Last year, I was down with the flu. Couldn't eat, fever was up and I just felt awful. Strangely, as I laid in bed, I started brainstorming. I got up, turned the laptop on and began writing ideas and developing characters. The whole idea was spontaneous. Maybe starvation and sleep deprivation was the catalyst. I don't recommend trying that, for safety sake.

I think it was the clear mind I had. Laying still and quiet, who knows.
 
Blocks I never have. Gershwin said music dripped from his fingers, I suffer the same problem. Its other shit that gets in the way, like my vision problems.

I say it all the time, WRITERS BLOCK MEANS YOU GOT NUTHJIN TO SAY. Its like trying to pee with no urine.
 
Back
Top