Your Ford Thread

Wat_Tyler

Allah's Favorite
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Posts
42,180
One hundred eleven years old and still going . . . well, somewhere. There were many of note - the T, the A, the flatty V8, the Mustang. There were flat notes, too - the Edsel, not having a prayer at getting the Merlin contract during WW2, being in third, male heirs' names . . . .


You have a Ford story, so post it. I have pics, too.

tumblr_m93zh18xgf1r2mc2eo1_1280.jpg
 
So do a lot of folks. It's the best selling 'Murrikan vehicle for a gazillion years running.


I think that some years, if you took Chevy and GMC and added them together, they outsold the F-150, but last year wasn't one of them.


And they're going to be lighter and more weather-resistant.

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/13/262123866/fords-new-f-150-may-pave-the-way-for-more-aluminum-cars

A commercial for the truck starts playing in the arena, and then — "Ladies and gentlemen," an announcer says, "this is the new Ford F-150, the toughest, smartest, most capable F-150 ever."

The new truck doesn't look that unusual. What makes this F-150 different is its construction: Much of the body is made of aluminum, which weighs less than steel. That means the truck will be as much as 700 pounds lighter and much more fuel efficient.

"This is definitely a tremendous technical innovation in the automobile industry," says Alan Mulally, president and CEO of Ford, who was previously an executive at Boeing. "One of the things that gives me a lot of confidence, personally, is that the aluminum alloys that we're using are very similar to what we use in commercial airplanes, and they have proven their toughness and their durability."

Jake Fisher, head of auto testing at Consumer Reports, says aluminum is more expensive and harder to handle, but it has some real advantages. Apart from being lighter, it also weathers better.

Fisher says the new F-150, if successful, could pave the way for more vehicles having aluminum body parts.
 
We're all Ford in my house.
We have Aussie-built XC, XD, XF and LTD. My eldest son has an XR6 turbo.
My mans sister drives a Mustang she imported from America.

Sadly, Ford Australia will stop production in 2016.
 
We're all Ford in my house.
We have Aussie-built XC, XD, XF and LTD. My eldest son has an XR6 turbo.
My mans sister drives a Mustang she imported from America.

Sadly, Ford Australia will stop production in 2016.


I didn't know that.


Lots of folks are fiercely loyal to Ford. The new Mustangs and the Coyote engine are the bees' knees.


I did hear a story a couple of years ago about how Ford weathered the last economic downturn so neatly. They jettisoned Jaguar, among several things, including hocking The Blue Oval.


And they didn't need any Fed Dollars.
 
One hundred eleven years old and still going . . . well, somewhere. There were many of note - the T, the A, the flatty V8, the Mustang. There were flat notes, too - the Edsel, not having a prayer at getting the Merlin contract during WW2, being in third, male heirs' names . . . .


You have a Ford story, so post it. I have pics, too.

tumblr_m93zh18xgf1r2mc2eo1_1280.jpg
No but the only american car company people should use. They were responsible enough not to take a govt bailout and screw investors.
 
I have had 6 F150's over the years and one Comet GT...current is a 13 FX4

I had a 08 Tundra and woulda got another but they were too proud of them


Stories, lots of em..the 79, I hit a trench somebody dug across the road at 50 mph and it cracked the windshield but never knocked the front end out of alignment
 
I have had 6 F150's over the years and one Comet GT...current is a 13 FX4

I had a 08 Tundra and woulda got another but they were too proud of them


Stories, lots of em..the 79, I hit a trench somebody dug across the road at 50 mph and it cracked the windshield but never knocked the front end out of alignment


I worked for a utility contractor back in the 70's and drove a '68 F600. It was a tough old bird. I was very fond of that truck.


In other news, Ford cleaned up at last fall's Amsoil engine master's challenge. It was the first year the Coyote engine was eligible.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en...asters_challenge_friday_coverage/viewall.html
 
found on road dead

fix or repair daily

fucked on raw deal

fucking old rebuilt dodge

My daily drive, the XD, is now 32 years old.
It has the original motor in it, with 700,000 on the clock.
This car never misses a beat. It starts first-time, every time and has done a heck of a lot of heavy work (started out life as a police car).
So far, after paying $900 to buy it, we have spent exactly $1000 dollars on replacing parts in the last 3 years..... but only because we're doing it up, and things like the tail-lights were faded etc.
 
I bought a 66 mustang for 125 dollars to drive in the winter when I parked my street car (Cutlass 442) and was at our hangout on Woodward avenue in late fall, started the thing...no key had to hot wire it and the brakes were gone. I found out when I put it into gear and the thing took off backwards right between two cars and all my gang who were diving for their lives. Had a high revving six cylinder too so it really took off...lol

Up and over the parking bumpers to a dirt lot and I spun it out before crashing into a brick wall.

Almost killed me and my buds....lol

Fuck fords. Im a Dodge and General Motors guy.

I did own a Merkur Xr4Ti brand new for a few years. Blew a radiator bypass hose and melted the aluminum cylinder head.

Fucking junk.
 
You asked for it...

ford-prefect.jpg


My ‘upright’ Fords

My first car was a black 1953 E493A Prefect that I bought with a friend in the mid 1960s.

[Rest deleted - TMI]
 
Last edited:
My daily ride is a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe, 200 cid straight 6 engine, 3 on the floor, with an AM radio.
I painted it once in the original color, rebuilt the original block once, rebuilt the original carb twice, and replaced the stock upholstery with NOS replacements.
It needs the ring gear replaced, and the paint is getting a bit long in the tooth, but aside from that, its still kicking.
People ask why I never replaced the 200 cid motor with a 289, since it drops right in. I can get a ticket just as easy with the 200 as with the 289, so why change?
I bought it in 1971 for $400.00 US as cheap transportation while I was in grad school.
 
Back
Top