What's with authors not accepting comments or feedback?

Icy

Why thank you icy one!

I've still been on Lit, I just have not been doing the forums much.

The next thing I release as Nate will likely be a Halloween story... I've been fiddling with that for awhile now.

Did I miss anything good?

Why thank you icy one!

I've still been on Lit, I just have not been doing the forums much.

The next thing I release as Nate will likely be a Halloween story... I've been fiddling with that for awhile now.

Did I miss anything good?

Isn't any publicity good publicity? If anything you should post the worst comments in a thread. A lot of people will probably take a quick look just to see if the comments have any merit. You might get some new fans.

Halloween!! That is very far away.

There is a new troll in politics. He is from a Native American tribe but he won't say which one. Not sure which tribe calls themselves real americans, might need to attend a pow wow to find out. Research continues...

Some guy came out of the republican closet and realized he has been disillusioned...err a flaming liberal all along. The guys put aside their differences, all gathered 'round for a circle jerk and christened him for his courage. I didn't understand this rite of passage so I offered to bake cookies. No one took me up on it, guess they were too busy picking out matching t-shirts.

In the playground we found the ever elusive big foot! Turns out it likes to hide behind the guise of a 20-30 year old, which is probably why it's so hard to find. Big foot is actually a GRANDMA!! It has grandkids and is collecting social security. Well, I posted, revealing the truth and big foot went on a rampage. It targeted an innocent bystander, flailing it's walker around, throwing it's dentures and even brought up the innocent bystanders children. Bad bad big foot! I can understand it's confusion. Living a lie, trapping men with pictures of teasing underwear, attacking new guys and offering to fulfill their wildest dreams...it forgets the reality of it's life. Living alone, ignored, in the shadows but bad behavior can't be tossed out with the depends! Just beware and remember Little Red Ridinghood. Not all grandmas bake cookies and like to hug. Some are bully grandmas !

Laurel cleaned up the 5k threads and the coffee thread in ampics was one of them!! Cheer and congrats! (I post there and am biased).

Personals have been slow. Have men realized that asking for sex but offering a weak "good time" in return isn't really an offer? Doubtful. I gave advice to one and he was very very angry!! He wrote me in his thread and a pm! He went back to delete it but I had already responded, so it was quoted. :D. That was a good day!

Now you know.

Congrats on the first story! The more you write the more feedback you'll get and the more positive you'll see as you build a fan base.

What bull shit. I rarely get feedback, now; at the start I got plenty. I made it clear flattery and insults aren't welcome. I made it clear inane, lame opinion isnt welcome.

What bull shit. I rarely get feedback, now; at the start I got plenty. I made it clear flattery and insults aren't welcome. I made it clear inane, lame opinion isnt welcome.

Well there you go then, you eliminated 95% of the feed back here.

I woke up to "best story ever" in big bold caps, I am sure the reader meant it at the moment. Just as I am sure he has meant it for the 100 stories before mine and the next hundred they'll read.

Isn't any publicity good publicity? If anything you should post the worst comments in a thread. A lot of people will probably take a quick look just to see if the comments have any merit. You might get some new fans.

Halloween!! That is very far away.

There is a new troll in politics. He is from a Native American tribe but he won't say which one. Not sure which tribe calls themselves real americans, might need to attend a pow wow to find out. Research continues...

Some guy came out of the republican closet and realized he has been disillusioned...err a flaming liberal all along. The guys put aside their differences, all gathered 'round for a circle jerk and christened him for his courage. I didn't understand this rite of passage so I offered to bake cookies. No one took me up on it, guess they were too busy picking out matching t-shirts.

In the playground we found the ever elusive big foot! Turns out it likes to hide behind the guise of a 20-30 year old, which is probably why it's so hard to find. Big foot is actually a GRANDMA!! It has grandkids and is collecting social security. Well, I posted, revealing the truth and big foot went on a rampage. It targeted an innocent bystander, flailing it's walker around, throwing it's dentures and even brought up the innocent bystanders children. Bad bad big foot! I can understand it's confusion. Living a lie, trapping men with pictures of teasing underwear, attacking new guys and offering to fulfill their wildest dreams...it forgets the reality of it's life. Living alone, ignored, in the shadows but bad behavior can't be tossed out with the depends! Just beware and remember Little Red Ridinghood. Not all grandmas bake cookies and like to hug. Some are bully grandmas !

Laurel cleaned up the 5k threads and the coffee thread in ampics was one of them!! Cheer and congrats! (I post there and am biased).

Personals have been slow. Have men realized that asking for sex but offering a weak "good time" in return isn't really an offer? Doubtful. I gave advice to one and he was very very angry!! He wrote me in his thread and a pm! He went back to delete it but I had already responded, so it was quoted. :D. That was a good day!

Now you know.

I missed you! LOL.... I have no idea what you just told me, but now I'm inspired to go and see if I can figure it out!

You write bullshit so you get bullshit. It's as simple as that.

I missed you! LOL.... I have no idea what you just told me, but now I'm inspired to go and see if I can figure it out!

:D

It's a whodunnit! You are very good at research. I can't wait to hear what you find out :)

Having the "stones" to write doesn't make it less of a bull. You can come up with all the defences you want, it still doesn't validate his rabid attempts at trying to be a generalizing expert.

Freedom of speech allows for his generalizing you can like it or leave it.

But he pays for those generalizations each time he posts a story and the trolls come running with their bombs. But he keeps doing it anyway because he enjoys writing.

Writing for public consumption is laying yourself bare to all the bad people have to offer(and the good too) and the people who do it will always have something over the stone throwers like you.

Talks cheap.

Freedom of speech allows for his generalizing you can like it or leave it.

But he pays for those generalizations each time he posts a story and the trolls come running with their bombs. But he keeps doing it anyway because he enjoys writing.

Writing for public consumption is laying yourself bare to all the bad people have to offer(and the good too) and the people who do it will always have something over the stone throwers like you.

Talks cheap.

Pfft. Stone throwing is mob mentality without reason. Criticism is individual perception with substance. In case you're wondering, and prolly lumped me in with the other trolls, I have read his stories under JBJ profile. And yes, they were bull. And no, I didn't vote at all. Not a 1, not a 5. Nothing.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean I have to agree or look the other way when anyone talks or writes nonsense. Criticizing someone is as much as a part of freedom of speech as is expressing an opinion.

And I still don't see how JBJ writing something, even if it's shit, negate my earlier point of him generalizing everything. All I can see here is you playing the victim card for JBJ as if he's some martyr in the line of fire.

Imagine

Constructive criticism, I'd venture to say, is always helpful, even if you don't agree with the critique. Trolls don't give that, they give their opinion in a negative way. Is the intention of their opinion helpful or hurtful? To me it's only meant to be hurtful and to shine attention on themselves so, I, for one, disregard their "opinion," because opinions are like a__holes, everyone has one" even trolls.

"Imagine all the people living life in peace."

Constructive criticism, I'd venture to say, is always helpful, even if you don't agree with the critique. Trolls don't give that, they give their opinion in a negative way. Is the intention of their opinion helpful or hurtful? To me it's only meant to be hurtful and to shine attention on themselves so, I, for one, disregard their "opinion," because opinions are like a__holes, everyone has one" even trolls.

I think a big portion of what people are talking about here is the feedback that isn't really a critique one way or the other.

As far as trolls' intent? I think for a great part, it's to see their words - however poorly they're often spelled - in print for the world to see, even if they're the only ones who know they're the ones who wrote them. They don't truly further anything, unless it's a personal goal to be pissy. That's really what troll behavior comes down to: selfishness. They try to make up for their own shortcomings by degrading others. They're classic bullies.

I think that one common issue people have is in understanding that "constructive criticism" and "critique" doesn't have to be positive, by any definition. People knee jerk too quickly in labeling a common-tater (commentator) as a troll if they don't say anything positive.

It is best to say positives, but is it required? No.

In colloquial use, people preface criticism with "constructive" to suggest that there is a difference between a negative review and one that is positive and negative, but by definition that is incorrect.

Sometimes you have to be an adult and read between the lines: if someone went to the trouble of posting a blistering three paragraph negative review, as long as it is literate and accurate, then they cared enough to describe HOW it could be better. Personally, I prefer that to the glad-handing that goes on.

A troll (or someone who didn't care) would simply post "crap" and continue on, or talk about some element that doesn't appear in the story.

see also associated/root words: critic, criticize, critical

Last edited:
I think the greater issue is that too many people using Lit. think this is a critique site, which it isn't, and that they have some writing expertise, and most of them don't. This is a reading site. I'll bet most authors leave comments open to receive favorable discussion and connectionon the content of their stories. Unless they have directly asked for critique and you have some expertise in writing, don't be surprised to receive blow back for deciding your lot in life is to give writing instruction here.

I like feedback. One of my stories was listed under "Gay Male," as many of mine are, so it could not be listed under non-consent, but it was clearly stated in the lead in that it was to be a non-consent story. In the story, the protagonist rolls over to allow the antagonist easier access, yet this critic calls it "rape" and gives me a "one."

I say all this to point out that if one is going to comment one should do so with a bit of discernment. In another case, my subtitle uses the word "revenge" yet the critic 'oned' me because he doesn't like "revenge sex." Why pick out a story you don't like? Anyways I sometimes answer the comments, but always take them for what they are: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Last edited:
I think a big portion of what people are talking about here is the feedback that isn't really a critique one way or the other.

As far as trolls' intent? I think for a great part, it's to see their words - however poorly they're often spelled - in print for the world to see, even if they're the only ones who know they're the ones who wrote them. They don't truly further anything, unless it's a personal goal to be pissy. That's really what troll behavior comes down to: selfishness. They try to make up for their own shortcomings by degrading others. They're classic bullies.

I agree with you 100%

I think that one common issue people have is in understanding that "constructive criticism" and "critique" doesn't have to be positive, by any definition. People knee jerk too quickly in labeling a common-tater (commentator) as a troll if they don't say anything positive.

It is best to say positives, but is it required? No.

In colloquial use, people preface criticism with "constructive" to suggest that there is a difference between a negative review and one that is positive and negative, but by definition that is incorrect.

Sometimes you have to be an adult and read between the lines: if someone went to the trouble of posting a blistering three paragraph negative review, as long as it is literate and accurate, then they cared enough to describe HOW it could be better. Personally, I prefer that to the glad-handing that goes on.

A troll (or someone who didn't care) would simply post "crap" and continue on, or talk about some element that doesn't appear in the story.

see also associated/root words: critic, criticize, critical

Constructive criticism isn't necessarily positive. It helps the writer analyze their shortcomings if he/she agrees. However, I do see where some writers might perceive a "common-tater" as a troll, when said "common-tater" is really trying to be helpful, but doesn't have the knowledge to go about it in a constructive way.

Turning off comments is just the author's way to assure you that he/she isn't posting for critique. It's perfectly acceptable for an author to post here for other reasons than wanting critique, and if this frustrates a reader who just has to provide one, tough shit for the reader--he/she probably was doing so to puff her/himself up more than to help anyone and probably doesn't have the expertise to be providing constructive critique anyway.

I'm one of those who really looks forward to comments, and almost all the comments I've received have been good natured ones. Some have been insightful and very useful. I get something out of most. (Caveat: I don't write in LW.) I wish I received more comments but I ll take whatever comes.

And I've been one of those who reached the end of a story and wanted to leave something, but was disappointed to find the author had turned off comments. No great shakes, I took myself elsewhere, but I rarely return to read someone like that.

Back