Magic, The Gathering

SimonDoom

Kink Lord
I'm working on a story that includes a scene in which friends are playing the card game Magic, The Gathering. Anybody know a good source that explains the play of the cards well, with some strategy tips? I have a little experience with it, but it always baffled me, and I need a good refresher.

Honestly just skip it, there is no way to make that work on paper or at least it's gonna be really difficult.

I haven't played in ages, but the Wizards of the Coast site has info on rules and gameplay, and there are sure to be videos out there. I'd recommend keeping the descriptions minimal and focus on the competitive nature of the players, perhaps even as it corresponds with their color choices (you can combine colors and each one has their own "theme").

I've played as recently as last month and I'm only one set behind as far as buying boxes. But as the above poster said describing the game on a move by move basis is essentially no different than Chess. And unless you're talking high level play even the "competitive" nature can vary wildly. I go to tournaments/drafts in large part to get specific cards that I want. I could go into detail but long story short if you're trying to win once you've dedicated yourself to a strategy you aren't going to break it for some twenty dollar card. The pot at even the most casual of tables is easily worth more than that. If you just want the twenty dollar card to take home and really have no intention of winning (you won't complain if you do) then that card is awesome.

Of course you could do what Stranger Things does and we know they are playing DnD (or something very similar) but they really just use it as a bit of a framing device. Or on the other hand every non vital game of poker in every story ever where it's really just there so you can mix your info dump with some casual stuff.

Of course you could do what Stranger Things does and we know they are playing DnD (or something very similar) but they really just use it as a bit of a framing device.

It shouldn't have, but Stranger Things' inaccurate portrayal of D&D play really bothered me.
The last time I played Magic, they'd added Commanders or something and many of my cards were obsolete. And most of my friends stopped playing, mainly just collecting.

Screw silly card games. Make it about Mormons who play adult games. Call it Magic Undies: The Gathering.

(Hint, look up Mormon special underwear.)

Screw silly card games. Make it about Mormons who play adult games. Call it Magic Undies: The Gathering.

"I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer."

Last edited:
This might not be the idea you have in mind, but I know the basics about Magic, and my imagination immediately takes me to this scenario.

A group of nerdy but adventurous teens, playing Magic the Gathering, but like spin the bottle. Losing comes with sexual forfeits, thematically determined by the mana-type of the vanquishing creature or planeswalker. Like, water type involves bodily fluids, swamp (death) mean you have to play dead/submissive, fire involves an element of pain, that kind of thing. Enchantments and curses bring props into play (curses can be things like blindfolded, tied up, etc.) You can see where I'm going with this.

I'm just spitballing here but I bet there's an audience for that type of scenario. Be interested to see what you come up with!

There almost definitely is, I might steal that if nothing cool pops into my head. But I think the OP was more looking for help with a specific scene not an entire story based on the subject.

O.K. Well, to be clear, I have no intention of actually narrating a game. That would be deadly dull and pointless for my story.

I'm looking for an online source about rules, and some strategy. There will be a scene in my story of 4 college-age guys playing a game, and I want to throw in a few lines while they play the game that sound reasonably authentic.

I played with my kids a few times a while ago, and I swear it just seemed like they were making up the rules as things went along to defeat my cards. I never quite figured it out. I need just enough detail and accuracy to give a rough facsimile of not being entirely clueless about the game.

I've heard about Mormon underwear, but have no personal acquaintance with it. Has anyone written a Literotica story about it?

UPDATE: Well, I did a search, and Holy Crap, Literotica has everything, including erotic stories about Mormon underwear. One that mentions it is Mormon Chicks Like Big Black Dicks Chapter 7, by author MormonChicks.

This place never ceases to entertain.

Last edited:
O.K. Well, to be clear, I have no intention of actually narrating a game. That would be deadly dull and pointless for my story.

I'm looking for an online source about rules, and some strategy. There will be a scene in my story of 4 college-age guys playing a game, and I want to throw in a few lines while they play the game that sound reasonably authentic.

I played with my kids a few times a while ago, and I swear it just seemed like they were making up the rules as things went along to defeat my cards. I never quite figured it out. I need just enough detail and accuracy to give a rough facsimile of not being entirely clueless about the game.

Ah, that sounds reasonable. This page has some articles that might help https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Strategy. Aside from shit talking, making fun of pansy wood elves and potentially having someone take a shot for every token creature you put out, we never really said anything epically strategic or clever, ala Moriarty to Holmes.

Someone recommended this video to me when I first looked into it. I found it helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZyXU1L3JXk And this site has a bunch of short articles on beginning strategy: http://oshkoshmagic.com

Hope that helps!

Back