The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Thinking, Bear.
If the 'normal' dose of sugar in tea/coffee is half a teaspoon, what for agave ?

My wife uses Ohgave! Amber sometimes when she makes hot tea and is conscious about her glycemic index (she's always been borderline diabetic). She puts in about a full teaspoon. She says it's not exactly the same as honey or sugar, but it's enough sweetness to satisfy her.

Evening chaps. HP, I was googling agave syrup in the hopes of turning up a habdy supplier for you. In the process, I came across a lot of contradictory evidence about the benefits of diabetics using it as a sugar alternative, including the claim that, depending on how the syrup is processed, it can still have potentially harmful high levels of fructose.

Now I haven't had the time to check this out thoroughly, but might I suggest you do so before buying any...?

Sorry, mate... :(

In other news, #3 son took it upon himself to reenact the "pea soup" scene from The Exorcist at a quarter past midnight last night. Fortunately, that set me up for the maybe four hours sleep I grabbed before driving #2 son 100 miles (return) to a rugby game, the laundry, the dirty dishes and cooking dinner.

Is it time to go back to work yet...? :rolleyes:

Olaf, petal. Can I have a glass of Tempranillo please? A large one...? :)

Yes, "honey" as in the real deal. There are a few local producers of it in central Texas, who control where the bees gather their pollen from. So they have a slew of honey products made from various wildflowers. Good stuff.

As for Fiesta: sorry, local reference. Fiesta is a ten-day party in San Antonio, with numerous parades downtown and on the Riverwalk and other sponsored events. One of the best is the St. Mary's Oyster Bake, held at St. Mary's College. Five stages of live music, tons of oysters in all different kinds of preparation, numerous beer and wine booths . . . it's a blast. And not far away is the carnival, with tons of rides and games. No matter anyone's age, there's fun to be had.
We have a few local producers in my part of Ontario too. I just have to wait another couple weeks until the nearest Farmers' Market opens for business. Then I'll stock up!

I have a few friends in DFW and another in San Antonio who have gone on in other forums about Fiesta. Amusingly, the woman who lives in SA hates oysters. Good thing there's other stuff for her to do. ;)

In other news, #3 son took it upon himself to reenact the "pea soup" scene from The Exorcist at a quarter past midnight last night. Fortunately, that set me up for the maybe four hours sleep I grabbed before driving #2 son 100 miles (return) to a rugby game, the laundry, the dirty dishes and cooking dinner.

Ooh, sorry to hear about #3 son. It could have been worse though.... I hope he's feeling better now, and that you'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

As for my plans for today, I haven't been able to get to the office, but I did get my garden box in the front yard cleaned out of dead twigs and leaves. There's a bit more new soil to cover stuff the damn rabbits and squirrels were attempting to uproot, and crocus are blooming!! Spring might actually be here. :)

Good Thinking, Bear.
If the 'normal' dose of sugar in tea/coffee is half a teaspoon, what for agave ?

About a third. The stuff tastes sweeter than sugar so you use about 2/3 for the same effect.

There are always critics of anything and agave, being a new product on the market, is no exception. However, the ever-cautious FDA has approved its use by diabetics and that's good enough for me. I find them a much more creditable source for information than some 'expert' behind a keyboard.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear about the kiddo, Steve. Hope he's doing alright. Stomach flu or food poisoning?

Just finished watching the NASCAR race and am on my way to a Costco run. Lazy ray today, maybe some story writing and watching the repeat of the F1 race.

Ooh, sorry to hear about #3 son. It could have been worse though.... I hope he's feeling better now, and that you'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

As for my plans for today, I haven't been able to get to the office, but I did get my garden box in the front yard cleaned out of dead twigs and leaves. There's a bit more new soil to cover stuff the damn rabbits and squirrels were attempting to uproot, and crocus are blooming!! Spring might actually be here. :)

Sorry to hear about the kiddo, Steve. Hope he's doing alright. Stomach flu or food poisoning?

Thanks, guys. He's fine today. Don't think it was food poisoning. We were at my mother-in-law's 80th bash yesterday, and we all ate the same food, but he's the only one who was poorly. I suspect either a touch of a stomach bug, or gluttony. £5 each way bet, for me... ;)

anna, you've sparked a memory of a little doggerel for me:

Spring is sprung
The grass is ris'
I wonder where the birdies is...?

Any ideas? :confused:

Does this mean a round or two of doggerel verse or (worse) some dreary poetry ?

Of all the knights in Appledore
the wisest was Sir Thomas Tom
He multiplied as far as four
and knew what nine was taken from
to make eleven

Here endeth the lesson

Thank you. Enquiries of my local supermarket (no go as yet) and my local Chemist (that's 'Pharmacy' for non UK readers), indicate that diet jams cause more problems than they solve. So I got some ordinary marmalade for now (Duerrs Fine Cut Seville Orange).

I have discovered why I feel slightly dizzy after taking swift * actions. It's my Atenolol (Beta Blockers) stopping my ticker going off wild.
* Swift is a very relative term, folks. I ain't ready to run much, yet.

But I am getting there.

Ah, but do you know who wrote it? My googling has turned up nothing definitive. My dad taught me it around 40 years ago...

Answer:
While frequently attributed to Ogden Nash or ee Cummings the author of this amusing nonsense - known as "Spring In The Bronx" - is Anonymous.
========================
Spring is sprung, the grass is ris.
I wonders where the birdies is.
They say the birds is on the wing.
Ain't that absurd?
I always thought the wing was on the bird.
(Pardon the doggerel)

Answer:
While frequently attributed to Ogden Nash or ee Cummings the author of this amusing nonsense - known as "Spring In The Bronx" - is Anonymous.
========================
Spring is sprung, the grass is ris.
I wonders where the birdies is.
They say the birds is on the wing.
Ain't that absurd?
I always thought the wing was on the bird.
(Pardon the doggerel)

Ah. That guy gets everywhere... :rolleyes:

Thanks, Molly. :rose:

Morning guys! Is there any coffee on yet?

Sorry that John and Steve had less than ideal weekends. Apart from the 'interesting' teaching (always fun to find out halfway through the lesson that the set question has been completely ballsed up by those typing it out :rolleyes:), it was a good weekend, see here for our Sunday walk with piccies of Spring flowers. Piglet got through her mock exam in music, well by that I mean she actually sat there for a whole hour, whether she answered any questions is another matter, LOL. Us parents are all a bit :mad: with the college for making them do it at very short notice.

I think I'll get Ogg to come and fill in my forms for work! He can get six times my salary, although it's true that he has to have twins to do it. I find just the one piglet quite sufficient and deeply admire Steve for coping with three!

anna, Willie, you may know this but if you eat the local honey it's supposed to be good for hayfever (like wot I get but the last couple of years have been so rainy, it hasn't been such a problem).

Molly, it's so good to know that Anonymous does other things than put irritating comments on our stories.

'Lo HP! Bear. :kiss:

Morning guys! Is there any coffee on yet?

Sorry that John and Steve had less than ideal weekends. Apart from the 'interesting' teaching (always fun to find out halfway through the lesson that the set question has been completely ballsed up by those typing it out :rolleyes:), it was a good weekend, see here for our Sunday walk with piccies of Spring flowers. Piglet got through her mock exam in music, well by that I mean she actually sat there for a whole hour, whether she answered any questions is another matter, LOL. Us parents are all a bit :mad: with the college for making them do it at very short notice.

I think I'll get Ogg to come and fill in my forms for work! He can get six times my salary, although it's true that he has to have twins to do it. I find just the one piglet quite sufficient and deeply admire Steve for coping with three!

anna, Willie, you may know this but if you eat the local honey it's supposed to be good for hayfever (like wot I get but the last couple of years have been so rainy, it hasn't been such a problem).

Molly, it's so good to know that Anonymous does other things than put irritating comments on our stories.

'Lo HP! Bear. :kiss:

Take a look on the side over there; Coffee is served, Madam
:rose:

PS. I notice that placing an "invited" comment as Anon gets nowhere.
Why on earth do they bother?

Last edited:
Good morning, Duchess. HP, thanks for getting the coffee ready, I'll take a cup as well. See if I can get a bit more writing in before I'm forced asleep.

:eek: You put that coffee down, John! You know you have trouble sleeping as it is.

LOL, is your box, I mean apartment, still painted black?

Hey, Shaun of the Dead was on telly last night! What luck. It was hilarious.

Thank you, HP, :rose:. Did you get your special fishing reel on ebay OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back