Conchita Wurst

Varian P

writing again
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Posts
1,429
https://encrypted-tbn2.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT08mbqBTGMRNDRgMtDEsNQeJCQD_ub1dy_QBCy0M6QUD6FKXbZDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToqNa0rqUtY#t=99

As a perennial (selective) media shut-out, maybe I'm behind the curve, or maybe just the European curve, but the existence of Conchita Wurst was revealed unto me mere moments ago, and now here I sit, wondering why I find Conchita's facial hair more shocking (in that perplexing yet sexy way that I tend to enjoy) in this context than I would the bulge of a big dick under that dress.

Thoughts? Feelings?
 
A shock that a male trait is being accentuated rather than hidden in an apparent effort at transforming an image?

Maybe the same effect when I see bulging biceps on women bodybuilders otherwise trying to look feminine?
 
The image, or my reaction to the image, just has me mulling over the construction of gender, and the psychology of our responses to various blends of biology and cultural trappings like makeup, clothing, hairstyling, etc.

I've seen a muscle-bound 6'6" guy with a shaved head in a ballerina's tutu, and that didn't throw me. If I saw Conchita beardless, but with a bulging hard-on visible under that dress, I don't think that would have the same effect of cognitive dissonance as the beard creates. Ditto a naked person displaying male genitalia and breasts. Maybe it's because the face is such a locus of focus and identification?

But maybe for others, the beard is no more surprising than the other "contradictory" juxtapositions, from our normative cultural perspective.
 
Feminine beauty should never have hair, anywhere except on the head, the eyelashes and carefully plucked eyebrows. Not too much eyebrow! Too masculine! The face must not be covered, it should be open and vulnerable to all who gaze upon it. I think the general notion is that a pretty girl has nothing to fear from scrutiny.

Most drag queens and transvestites fall in with this fetish for hairlessness.

Conchita here is going against that. It's not exactly new, bearded transvestites have been around since the 60's especially in San Fransisco-- there was a troupe called the Cockettes-- but this lady is going for a mainstream ideal of femininity, perfectly straight-faced... So to speak.

This is what we call "queering the genre." ;)
 
It's not exactly new, bearded transvestites have been around since the 60's especially in San Fransisco-- there was a troupe called the Cockettes...
I still have a Cockettes Paper Doll cutout book. Damn, do I have to go find it now? [/me roots around in my comix stacks.] Aha! Got it! The Official COCKETTES tm PAPER DOLL BOOK, (c) 1971 by Last Gasp Eco-Funnies Co Inc. The back cover asks, "Will success spoil mediocrity?" Yep, a real cultural souvenir.
 
I still have a Cockettes Paper Doll cutout book. Damn, do I have to go find it now? [/me roots around in my comix stacks.] Aha! Got it! The Official COCKETTES tm PAPER DOLL BOOK, (c) 1971 by Last Gasp Eco-Funnies Co Inc. The back cover asks, "Will success spoil mediocrity?" Yep, a real cultural souvenir.
no fucking way. can you scan it?
 
Back
Top