Cant Put Down Spell-binding

I suppose it would be a story about a spelling bee. :D

Or witchcraft.:D

Seriously, for me its dialogue. Long narratives and descriptions will put me to sleep even if its well written.

But if the dialogue and character interaction is smooth and well done I can just keep reading.

I'm into realism above all, the harsher and grittier the better. I love honest, straightforward storytelling. When the author can create the illusion that I'm reading a true story. When they make me a voyeur, especially to the not-so-glorious details. I love an uncomfortable balancing act between the repulsive and the alluring, and when those lines start to blur. I just read a Gil Brewer short story with that quality, and the sense of dread he created was hypnotizing.

I'm into realism above all, the harsher and grittier the better. I love honest, straightforward storytelling. When the author can create the illusion that I'm reading a true story. When they make me a voyeur, especially to the not-so-glorious details. I love an uncomfortable balancing act between the repulsive and the alluring, and when those lines start to blur. I just read a Gil Brewer short story with that quality, and the sense of dread he created was hypnotizing.

I like Gil Brewer. He wrote plenty of stories set around Tampa.

Back