The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 04: Come On In

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not stench, it's the smell of money.
Dairy air. Derrière. Same-same. Quite common from Chino to Riverside. Bovine flatulence even cuts through Los Angeles smog.

That is there. This is here, 500 miles north. Warm, snow-dissolving rain pounds us. A break tomorrow and then much more rain with accompanying flood and travel alerts.

More than enough water for coffee.

Who knew translation was such hard work? Asian languages to English done in a literal sense is often rough at best as anyone reading an instruction originally in Chinese may have discovered. Tattoos are a great example if anyone heard about the Ariana Grande example. She wanted 7 Rings in Japanese but actually wound up with barbecue grill and when she added to it to clarify only made it worse. So to those getting inked make sure the person doing the translation understands the meaning and context in both languages (and is looking after your best interest).

Tattoo's.... rotflmao. NEVER get a chinese character tattoo unless you are with someone who speaks and reads chinese as their first language (or they ARE really fluently bilingual). Coz you are in for an epic fail! And chinese tattoo artists have a sense of humor. And you will live with their joke for the rest of your life... short of having your skin removed LOL

It's really hard translating if you're not fluent in both. That "Never Ending Love" song took me a couple of hours to figure out. I found two or three translations done by chinese into english and they made sense but they didn't convey that deeper meaning so I sat there running translation software and harassing one of my chinese friends who was online and figured it out into more colloquial english but it was a lot of work. Now imagine doing that for a chinese language novel. And vice versa. Good translators don't get paid enough!

Last edited:
I've done a little reading and writing so far this morning and had a cheddar and ham omelet with my second cup of coffee. Now it's time to go do that compost thing.

Shop is warm. Infrared heaters are great. First epoxy coat on two 8' boats. One 10' boat assembled. I need more room but....

A ham an cheese omelet. That sounds like lunch to me.

Fresh coffee to go with lunch or whatever you need it for.

Oh no, that was autocorrect. It corrected wuxia to sucks for me. I loved Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Hero (Jet Li) was great and I love House of Flying Daggers. There’s a Korean one called Legend of the Shadowless Sword that’s great but there’s lots more.
Out of curiosity, do you have autocorrect on your computer or the Literotica forum on your phone? (And through a Literotica app? Or just in a phone browser?)

It would be nice to know other languages. So many jokes one could learn. So many different ways to say "I love coffee".

(I would be curious to get autocorrect on my computer, and I would be curious if there's a nice way to get the Literotica forum on my phone.)

Tattoo's.... rotflmao. NEVER get a chinese character tattoo unless you are with someone who speaks and reads chinese as their first language (or they ARE really fluently bilingual). Coz you are in for an epic fail! And chinese tattoo artists have a sense of humor. And you will live with their joke for the rest of your life... short of having your skin removed LOL

It's really hard translating if you're not fluent in both. That "Never Ending Love" song took me a couple of hours to figure out. I found two or three translations done by chinese into english and they made sense but they didn't convey that deeper meaning so I sat there running translation software and harassing one of my chinese friends who was online and figured it out into more colloquial english but it was a lot of work. Now imagine doing that for a chinese language novel. And vice versa. Good translators don't get paid enough!

[1] There's a handy book available over here, which features the 'correct' Chinese characters for a variety of well-known phrases & names. Apparently, one is simply supposed to get the tattoo artist (?) to copy the scribbles.

[2] Translation ain't so easy with European language, either. There died a while ago one of those translators who was reckoned by her peers as something rather special; Anthea Bell. To illustrate the cleverness of the "Asterix" stories and thus the difficulties in translation take a look HERE.

I tremble at the thought of translating from German (J Maxwell Brownjohn, take a bow for Gunner Asch. Robert Kee is also noted a translator);
I've tried it [many moons ago, and then only the technical stuff], and it is NOT easy.

Last edited:
That was my anaerobic exercise for the day.

I dumped the compost, raked it out even and turned it in (Lift with your legs, not your back). Then I raked it out even and turned it in again (Lift with your legs, not your back). Then I raked it out even again. I'm going to have to devise some way to compact the soil a little. It's very fluffy right now.

My blood sugar feels low. I'll get it back up, and there is a nap in my future.

Out of curiosity, do you have autocorrect on your computer or the Literotica forum on your phone? (And through a Literotica app? Or just in a phone browser?)

It would be nice to know other languages. So many jokes one could learn. So many different ways to say "I love coffee".

No, only autocorrect on my phone and most of the time it's great. But now and then there are these moments.....

For the Literotica forum on my phone, I just use the std browser and it works fine for me. I don't generally like phone apps. Don't actually have any at all on my phone.

[2] Translation ain't so easy with European language, either. There died a while ago one of those translators who was reckoned by her peers as something rather special; Anthea Bell. To illustrate the cleverness of the "Asterix" stories and thus the difficulties in translation take a look HERE.

I tremble at the thought of translating from German (J Maxwell Brownjohn, take a bow for Gunner Asch. Robert Kee is also noted a translator);
I've tried it [many moons ago, and then only the technical stuff], and it is NOT easy.[/QUOTE]

I've read some of the Asterix ones - they're so clever. AS for the rest of it, you can translate to get the gist of that but to get the real flavor of the author in a fictional work - that's hard! To understand those nuances and to get inside the writers head and translate that - editing is hard enough in english. To translate and get all those little authorial quirks - :eek: I have only admiration!

Last edited:
The glass is dropping, the wind is rising and it's bloody WET.
To make matters worse, I've lost a battery connector and the wood dye has changed to a lighter shade which I do not need.

Time for a cup of tea before bed.

Both 10' boats assembled. Not enough room to do much more.

Sloppy joes for supper.

Fresh coffee for the evening group.

Both 10' boats assembled. Not enough room to do much more.

Sloppy joes for supper.

Fresh coffee for the evening group.

*Chugs a whole mug of coffee*

I'm so excited, I got some constructive criticism on my first story (it was for Valentine's Day)! Copying the comment here:
"Enough with the He He He He please
He touched... He held... She moaned... He pushed... She groaned... He thrust... She sighed... On and on and on and on it went. Please learn how to vary your word choice and be a little creative. It felt impersonal and a lot like a manual for some kind of personal grooming product. He... She... He... She... He... She... He... She... He..."

I'm so grateful for the feedback. Now I only wish I knew how to apply it. Do any of you have any ideas of how I might do this?

Last edited:
I'm so grateful for the feedback. Now I only wish I knew how to apply it. Do any of you have any ideas of how I might do this?

Intersperse their names in place of the pronouns. Use nicknames. Use descriptions like "the sweating ape". There's "they" instead of "he" or "she." In some cases you can resort to other terms, like "her lover" instead of "him." You can also vary sentence structure so that you aren't using simple subjects so much. For instance, break a sentence or independent clause down to a dependent clause so it doesn't have a subject.

In my "One Night In..." story I have a character who is called "the Red Witch," " the witch," "Falcona," and "Señora" as well as "her," or "she," etc. It's nice to have options. Each has it's own purpose.

Intersperse their names in place of the pronouns. Use nicknames. Use descriptions like "the sweating ape". There's "they" instead of "he" or "she." In some cases you can resort to other terms, like "her lover" instead of "him."
Exactly. Pronouns need both anchoring and decoration. Be clear and bright.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if I'm better corrected automatically, manually, randomly, or vindictively. I recall James Thurber's encounter with a reader who praised French translations of his work. Thurber replied, "Yes, I lose something in the original." Me, too. I should have my tales auto-translated to Hopi or something, and then back to Anglish. That might help.

Uh oh, bad thought: Flaky auto-translations should help plagiarists. Take a hot story; edit to change names; run it through Gargle Translate a few time; boil and stir. Maybe let Word or Grammerly clean it up. Who will notice?
_____

Meanwhile, rain on our roof cycles between pouring and pounding -- it's only pouring now. Hi there, 2019 atmospheric river #9! This is a good test of the little RV's leak repairs. I'll slosh out to see... later. After I hang the coffeepot out to catch free water. That's illegal in some states, y'know. Just wait till you're billed for sunshine.

More coffee. Tomorrow.

Last edited:
.....I'm so grateful for the feedback. Now I only wish I knew how to apply it. Do any of you have any ideas of how I might do this?

Take a really good novel with a similar scene and look at how the writer handles it. Take those techniques and work them into your own scene and see how it works. Apply to next story.

Thanks so much for the great advice, everyone! I feel so encouraged by this community.

"the sweating ape", "vindictively", and "Gargle Translate" made me laugh!

I'm unacquainted with really good novels that leave the sex in. Are there any gold standards? Not 50 Shades of Grey, I imagine. Or am I wrong?

Uh oh, bad thought: Flaky auto-translations should help plagiarists. Take a hot story; edit to change names; run it through Gargle Translate a few time; boil and stir. Maybe let Word or Grammerly clean it up. Who will notice?

Who will be able to read it?

Thanks so much for the great advice, everyone! I feel so encouraged by this community.

"the sweating ape", "vindictively", and "Gargle Translate" made me laugh!

I'm unacquainted with really good novels that leave the sex in. Are there any gold standards? Not 50 Shades of Grey, I imagine. Or am I wrong?

Take some good hot romance novels. They get pretty explicit but don’t worry about the level of detail. Look at how they handle the description of events and dialogue. You can work in any amount of explicit sex over that, just look at the writing techniques. But pick best selling Authors, learn from success.

Who will be able to read it?
Irrelevant. Only sales matter, not comprehension. How many zillion-buck political tell-alls are read by any but paid reporters and propagandists? Nobody else cares.

I betcha a machine-translated pr0n piece with political names inserted would garner a huge pre-pay. Reformat 50 SHADES with the White House family, as told by an anonymous high-level aide. That would be believable, and profitable.

Ye gods; bright sunshine after a night of high wind and heaving rain.
And +9C.
Coffee on the lawn will work wonders, I think.

It's 32 here going all the way up to 47 later. I think I'll take the day off and close the shop down until it warms back up.

I went to bed early last night and slept like a log except for the indigestion from the Sloppy Joes. :rolleyes:

Fresh coffee for the morning crowd.

Yesterday, the bulk coffee kiosk at the grocery store was completely empty. Nothing, not even chocolate piñon coffee. I bought pre-packaged Starbucks Sumatran dark roast.

Mornin', all.

Looks like the back of that Arctic vortex has - finally - broken around here. It's -18°C outside, but is supposed to hit -5°C today and then stay more-or-less seasonal for the rest of the week, with temperatures reaching above zero by next week. Only here would anybody cheer about -5 in March...

Happy anyway. I think I'll celebrate with a cup of Tex's fine brew.

Yesterday, the bulk coffee kiosk at the grocery store was completely empty. Nothing, not even chocolate piñon coffee. I bought pre-packaged Starbucks Sumatran dark roast.

They shut the bulk coffee machines down around here a good number of years ago. Pre-packaged is all that is available here now. Dunkins makes a good coffee in several different flavors and are much cheaper that Starjunks.

One cuppa coming up TP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back