Female Inmates In Federal Prisons Will Now Have More Access To Tampons & Pads

Once you have canteen ( or commissary, it's called by different names in different places) privileges, you can buy them. But, unlike on certain TV shows, you can't just go to the canteen and shop. You fill out an order form once a week, and get your items a few days later.

I went in on a Thursday, which was the day forms must be turned in. Orders come in on Monday. So, I could not order anything until the following Thursday and did not get my items until the Monday after that. 11 days. I was lucky, I didn't need tampons during that period. What I did need was antacid, until my stomach adjusted to the crappy food.

Prison policies are deliberately arbitrary and capricious, designed to crete inequities and conflict among the prisoners.

If you need tampons, and can't get them from the institution, you have to get them from another prisoner, which means you start your term doing the one thing you never want to do in prison, put yourself in debt to someone. In that way, the policy reinforces the pecking order. When prisoners can exercise power over other prisoners, the staff only has to control those on top of the pecking order, making their jobs much easier.

That's pretty insightful. Sounds right.

From a basic decency, not to mention health and sanitation, standpoint- it's abhorrent.

I have a good job and a good man. I am starting college next month. I have been free of drugs for four years and seven months. I.Am.Not.Going.Back.:rose:

I love that emphasis on the positive.

One of my clients is 20, fredh out of what I hope is her first and only rehab stint. she went partially to support her boyfriend who was facing prison time if he didn't go and to get into diversion program to avoid a criminal record herself.

She freely admits that she had every intention of going back to using after she did her required "time" in the program. The way she puts it, getting cleane put her in touch with a version of her that she didn't know still existed.

Last edited:
That's pretty insightful. Sounds right.

From a basic decency, not to mention health and sanitation, standpoint- it's abhorrent.

Thank you. They give you plenty of time to think about these things.;)

Thank you. They give you plenty of time to think about these things.;)

"You sit there in time out young lady and think about your behavior!"

When my youngest was maybe five, you could not get her to sit in the chair and behave. The punishment for not sitting in the chair was... time out sitting in a chair ...which she could do beautifully. It made no sense.

"You sit there in time out young lady and think about your behavior!"

When my youngest was maybe five, you could not get her to sit in the chair and behave. The punishment for not sitting in the chair was... time out sitting in a chair ...which she could do beautifully. It made no sense.

Sort of like a system that says you have to buy your own hygiene products, and that you can be punished for poor hygiene by taking away your privileges to purchase anything?

Back