If God can do anything, can He sin?

Kirkrapine

Literotica Guru
Never mind the old saw about an object so big He can't move it. St. Augustine wrote that it is a sin -- nowadays we would say, an error -- to suppose that God is any the less omnipotent because He cannot do logically impossible things, such as dividing something into three halves. But this is a different matter -- not logical, but moral. Can an omnipotent God sin?

Never mind the old saw about an object so big He can't move it. St. Augustine wrote that it is a sin -- nowadays we would say, an error -- to suppose that God is any the less omnipotent because he cannot do logically impossible things, such as dividing something into three halves. But this is a different matter -- not logical, but moral. Can an omnipotent God sin?

Like congress, he just rewrites the "law". :)

Like congress, he just rewrites the "law". :)

Well, that goes to the heart of it -- is a sin a sin because it is inherently evil, or just because God, who presumably has a personality*, doesn't happen to like it?

*I prefer to think that God, if He exists, is not the unchanging nescient ideal of Aristotle and Spinoza, but a being who has evolved with and learned from the universe He created. Therefore, He would have an individual and idiosyncratic personality.

Last edited:
Naturally, he could. He has the freedom and power to do so.

Just as any mortal nan can violate his own sense of personal integrity, so could He. He is unlikely to do so because He, being omniscient, can clearly see that violating His own standards would not bring Him joy

I think the Old Testament God committed a sin of pride by gaming Job with Satan.

If you're talking about the one of the old testament he can, and often does. Those instances are all over the bible, If you're talking about that one of the new testament...well, same thing. And why not, it's all written by men. It's all faith, and don't ask questions. It's too embarrassing to them.

w

Last edited:
God doesn’t answer to anyone for His actions or inactions. I mean, who is going to tell Him to His face He has committed a sin? With no one to answer to, God can pretty much do whatever He wants without repercussions. Isn’t that the ultimate advantage to being God - His will?

Never mind the old saw about an object so big He can't move it. St. Augustine wrote that it is a sin -- nowadays we would say, an error -- to suppose that God is any the less omnipotent because He cannot do logically impossible things, such as dividing something into three halves. But this is a different matter -- not logical, but moral. Can an omnipotent God sin?

In Augustine's metaphysical world, it's still a logical issue. Evil/sin were defined as an absence of, or decay from, a state of perfection. There's a perfect and good cake. Then there's a cake that's smashed in the middle. That empty space isn't a "thing" it's a nothing, and because that cake lacks its full and perfect being, it is has "sin".

Being and goodness are almost the same thing for Augustine, and god, by logical definition, would've been the most perfect, unchanging thing, that is deprived of nothing and depends on nothing.

Asking "can god sin?" is like asking "Can a full glass of water ever be 96% full?" It's just a contradiction in terms for Augustine and the rest of the philosophers who admired Plato or Aristotle.

In Augustine's metaphysical world, it's still a logical issue. Evil/sin were defined as an absence of, or decay from, a state of perfection. There's a perfect and good cake. Then there's a cake that's smashed in the middle. That empty space isn't a "thing" it's a nothing, and because that cake lacks its full and perfect being, it is has "sin".

Being and goodness are almost the same thing for Augustine, and god, by logical definition, would've been the most perfect, unchanging thing, that is deprived of nothing and depends on nothing.

Asking "can god sin?" is like asking "Can a full glass of water ever be 96% full?" It's just a contradiction in terms for Augustine and the rest of the philosophers who admired Plato or Aristotle.

Of course, nothing is really perfect except for abstract concepts like numbers -- which is why Plato thought abstract concepts more real than material objects.

Jealousy is a sin AND a commandment.

That book wasn't really edited that well there's a lot of continuity errors. That's just one off the top of my head. It's one of the big 7 AND the big 10.

We are of God.

What does a perfect, omni God lack?
The material world is the manifestation of imperfectness and finitude.

Naturally, he could. He has the freedom and power to do so.

Just as any mortal nan can violate his own sense of personal integrity, so could He. He is unlikely to do so because He, being omniscient, can clearly see that violating His own standards would not bring Him joy

Oh, I like this!

Religious threads never go over very well.

The Bible has already made it clear that God does not sin. There is a reason why He is God.

Hebrews 6:18
Titus 1:2
Psalm 90:2

There is no higher moral authority than God. God cannot sin against himself.

With regard to your later post, however, speculating that God might have an "individual and idiosyncratic personality," there is some interesting evidence in the Bible of that very thing.

Gensis 6: v 6 & 7 (NIV) -- 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

How is it, I've wondered, that an omniscient God could suffer the emotion of "regret"? And so soon after creating a creation that he allegedly characterized as "good." It seems to be a rather stunning philosophical reversal.

Of course, this was a predicate sentiment for the Great Flood, so if you don't believe in the reality of THAT, then perhaps the moodiness of God is a manufactured fiction as well.

But for Christians who take scripture literally, there is a much tougher factoid to explain away here than merely how all earthbound living species were packed in a really, really big boat.

How is it that the guy who not only knew the ending of the story in advance but wrote it molecule by molecule suddenly decided that such a major piece of editing was required?

Or maybe, just maybe, "god" is a bunch of bullshit made up by primitives. A story that got out of control and took on a life of its own. A lie that became more inconvenient to confess with each passing day, going on 8,000 years.

That, or there are ghosts who judge you for all eternity :rolleyes:

How is it that the guy who not only knew the ending of the story in advance but wrote it molecule by molecule suddenly decided that such a major piece of editing was required?

He knows but chooses not to know.

“I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

But in the process of eradication, I had to take a dump and some of it got away and spread like a bad science experiment.

Back