Rules and Registrations for 2015 Survivors' Contest

I'm okay with 2016 too, if Laurel is. There are certain things I, as an unofficial mod. cannot do, such as sticking the Rule and registration Thread and archiving threads from last year. I hope we get more action than we had in 2015, though. Only 12 people submitted anything on their scorecards. :( I wasn't one of them, BTW. I haven't submitted anything for over three years.

I think if we return to the old Survivor contest and just post as many stories to any category, most writers will participate.

If nothing else, it will be fun to see who can write the most stories, no matter the category or categories.

With many writers only writing in 2 or 3 categories, the cap system penalizes those writers. Let's get rid of the caps and return to the writer with the most stories and/or in the most categories wins. Yet, even a writer who writes 100 stories in the same one category has a good chance of placing high or even winning too when factoring in theme contest bonus points.

By simplifying the rules, it would be an interesting test to see if more writers will participate if they know that every story they write and post on the card will at least score one point?

I still think we should keep the 3,000 word rule for chapter stories. All other stories must have a minimum of 750 words and be a stand alone story.

What do you think?

Obviously now that the prize money is gone, that was more of a draw than imagined.

 
It may be a sign of the end times, but I agree with Freddie on one thing. Now that there's no money involved, it may be time to simplify the rules a bit to encourage participation.

Get rid of the whole cap system, let every story count, but give bonuses for filling out categories.

Having watched Survivor (on Lit) since 2002 I'd agree with this.
 
I can see both sides of the argument. There are several authors far more prolific than I. I wouldn't even stack up compared to them. So I'd be less inclined to participate that way, I should think. Just filling the site with lots of material - a lot of not-talented writers can do that.

I wouldn't mind a tweak or two, but one thing I DID like about the other system - under which I won a prize twice (although I never claimed the one from 2014, my bad) was that it challenged me to try new venues. As an author, it made me think outside the box - and I think I became a better writer for it.

Let me know what's what and I'll certainly weigh in.

BrettJ

Author / Writing in Canada / Sensualist
 
With bonuses for filling a certain number of categories -- if they're scaled properly -- diversity would still win over volume. Someone would have to post an assload of stories in only a couple of categories to be near the top, but could still finish with a score they could be happy with.

It's all pretty much irrelevant to me with three pen names. I wouldn't move a story outside of a pen name's "parameters" just to get the points for the one registered, so I'd still be sitting at the bottom of the barrel if I signed up :p

Even back when I was more prolific, I still wouldn't have made it more than halfway up the scale combining all three and adding in stories that only posted elsewhere. I did the math a couple of times back in the day.
 
I can see both sides of the argument. There are several authors far more prolific than I. I wouldn't even stack up compared to them. So I'd be less inclined to participate that way, I should think. Just filling the site with lots of material - a lot of not-talented writers can do that.

I wouldn't mind a tweak or two, but one thing I DID like about the other system - under which I won a prize twice (although I never claimed the one from 2014, my bad) was that it challenged me to try new venues. As an author, it made me think outside the box - and I think I became a better writer for it.

Let me know what's what and I'll certainly weigh in.

BrettJ

Author / Writing in Canada / Sensualist

Been there, done that.

In 2007, under BostonFictionWriter, I wrote 222 stories for the Survivor contest and still lost. I finished second.

In 2008, again under BostonFictionWriter, I wrote 333 stories for the Survivor contest and still finished 2nd.

It wasn't until someone came up with the 3, 2, 1 story concept that I won Survivor not once but 3 times by writing less stories 100 to 150. Go figure.

By changing the rules, writers can still write in all the categories but it would allow those writers who don't write in all of the categories to not only be included but also to have their stories counted as points.

In the way that Survivor is skewed to those who write in more categories by earning 3 points instead of 1 point, I seriously doubt that any writer is going to dump 300 stories in one or two categories to win a contest that no longer pays a prize.

Yet, if nothing else, just for the fun of it, why not make it easier for more writers to play.
 
As I said Susan, I can see both sides of the equation. Just stating my own views. Once / if the rules are set, I will follow the direction of the wind.

As someone who does this for a living, I understand the need for quantity. However, since reviving my career earlier this year (I was very ill for a long time) I've written a bit less but I think better stuff and I'm having fun again. I think I prefer it that way. Just saying ...

BrettJ in Canada
 
Either way you guys decide to run it count me in. It sounds like a fun way to challenge myself.
 
My sincere condolences for the things you have endured. Be proud of what you have accomplished and continue to thrive.

BrettJ in Canada
 
Oh, Lord, this is just Freddie doing one of his performance art stints. And the irony of posting it to the Survivor's board is that he brought the survivor's contest down pretty much singlehandedly with his antics. :rolleyes:
 
Oh, Lord, this is just Freddie doing one of his performance art stints. And the irony of posting it to the Survivor's board is that he brought the survivor's contest down pretty much singlehandedly with his antics. :rolleyes:

I will say the contest was more fun before Freddy and his whining got involved. That happened before I became Mod.
 
No Survivor since 2015?

I turn my back on you for just a couple of years, and this is what happens?;)
 
Back
Top