The Walking Dead (closed to Elvenoff1)

AlwaysFaithful

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jan 2, 2016
Posts
1,763
The dull throbbing in her head woke Katherine. Her pale eyes fluttered open, jerking a bit as she noticed her companion a nearly 90 pound muscular dark sable German shepherd, who was just sitting, staring at her silently. "Jeez, Jazz," She muttered, sitting up slowly. She was snuggled into a big bathtub, that she had filled with blankets and a couple of pillows. After she'd been attacked by three men, she'd figured this was the best place to hold up. She'd picked a house at random and barricaded herself in the upstairs bathroom. With it being upstairs, she figured the dead would have a harder time getting to her, and if the living came in the house, she'd be able to hear them a head of time.

Groaning, she pushed her long mahogany hair out of her face, tying it back in a tail. She was 5'6" and an athletic 120 pounds. She'd been in shape before the end of the world, but now, after it all ended? She was in excellent shape. lifting her shirt she looked at her rib cage, it was all dark bruising, after the beating she'd taken two days ago. Kat had been surveying a small town a couple miles from here. Jasper had been up ahead of her when the men had come out of a store and grabbed her, dragging her inside. When she'd fought back, they'd overpowered her. She'd gotten a few good hits in, but ultimately it was three men against one small woman. They'd beaten her pretty badly, and certainly intended to do more until Jasper had leaped through the glass window, attacking the leader, giving Kat time to grab one of their guns. She'd killed two, but the third, had gotten away.

Kat and Jasper had taken off, and she'd decided to take cover and hold up, until she healed. She still had the man's gun, and her own hunting knife. She'd been US Army then private security before the world ended, so at least she was well equipped to handle weapons. Sighing she settled back in the tub, thinking she'd have to get up and find some food today. Then she heard the sound of the front door creaking open downstairs. the sound of boots on the wood floor. Jasper snarled. "Silence!" She hissed, grabbing her gun, readying herself. She listened to the sound of someone downstairs. Hoping they'd just do what they needed and just keep going, and not go looking around the entire house.
 
Each step that he took away from the group was one of mixed feelings for Daryl. On one foot was the feeling of extreme guilt for allowing Beth to be taken and then for not being able to stop her death. Then on the other foot was the pain of her not being around anymore. He missed her smile, her purity, her her that just made the world a little better when she was around and now that was all gone. His fist clenched into a fist as the pain surged through his body, his feet felt like he was wearing ten ton boots which brought him to a stop, then his knees buckled, his frame tilted and he slowly slid down the rough bark a walnut tree.

His legs were up and drawn in while his forearms rested upon his knees, his fist clenched tightly while he slammed his back up against the tree attempting to break the grip that the pain held upon his chest. Her memory flooded the darkness of his tightly closed eyelids. The question of Why! Continued to echo in his ears. Why wasn’t he with her when she was taken, why wasn’t he fast enough to prevent her death? There was no answer, no excuse except he was a failure. The battle with the tears was lost as he finally allowed himself to break down.

He didn’t know how long he sat here drowning in his own sorrow but it was long enough for the trio of walkers to get to him and put their decaying hands upon his shoulders. The startled fuck was long flowing over his lips as he managed to roll out and away from grasping hands of the walkers. His hand found the pommel of his knife as he lurched into the trio, not really caring if he survived this or not. His instinct took over regardless of his feelings. His body twisted, pushed, pulled and even kicked in his attempt to put down these walkers, but it wasn’t until he began to feel Beth urging him to survive that he found a few quick jabs of accuracy that ended with three walkers down and him still alive.

The dark rolling clouds, the hard gusts of wind, and claps of thunder forced Daryl to move and seek shelter from the up coming storm. He grabbed his bow and the small backpack and began running toward the small town that Rick was planing to make a supply run to later on in the day, it was only a few miles ahead of where he was.

The storm was was upon him as he entered into the outskirt of the small town. He decided the first house off to his left was going to be the place to get out of the storm. He entered the house as he normally did, with crossbow out and leveled ready to defend himself. He first swept the small living room before moving on throughout the house, ensuring that it was clear and free of walkers. It wasn’t til he was at the stairway when he heard the faint sound from upstairs. Taking no chances Daryl slowly made his way up the stairs, listening in hopes to pinpoint where the noise came from but with each step he was only meet with silence.

His mind shifted from walkers being up here to maybe someone or some animal and it was a necessity to find out whom or what made the noise before he made this house his shelter. Each door was opened and everything was clear, but when he got to what might be the bathroom, the door was barricaded.

“Shit!” Daryl barked as he backed away from the door. “Okay, I know someone is in there.” Daryl’s voice whispered out and waited to see if he got a voice response or the sounds of a gun clicking.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
She hissed when she heard them coming up the stairs. Breathing shallowly she had her gun aimed at the door, her other hand on her dog's shoulder. Someone tested the knob of the door before stepping back. She heard his voice, determined it was a man but unable to tell if it was her attacker that got away or if it was someone else. Jasper snarled low in his throat, a hair raising threat to the man. Katherine held her silence, listening to the steady pulse of her heart. Finally she spoke, "Just take whatever you want and leave." Her voice was a unique blend, a soft Montana drawl laced with a whisper of Irish. It was strained with stress and pain. She didn't know who was on the other side of the door and these days you feared the living as much as the dead.

She didn't know what this man wanted and she wasn't sure she wanted to find out. Easier to just stay in her little bathroom, let him ransack the house and be on his way. Another crack of thunder had her cursing, he probably was wanting to wait out the storm too. But that was fine. She'd stay in the bathroom, he could wait where ever he wanted and after the storm, they'd go their separate ways. At least the was her plan.
 
Daryl blew out heavily, turned his body sideways before pushing his back up against the wall. His gaze shifted from the stairwell to the bathroom door. The voice that came from the bathroom drew his attention to the door, her words making him out as a miscreant individual. He took a few moments to gather what he wanted to say, for he too didn’t know whom was on the other side and just because the voice that of a woman didn’t mean she wasn’t a miscreant individual as well.

“I’m not here to take your shit!” Daryl was a little agitated and not really in the mood to fuck with whomever was in the bathroom but the storm seemed to be pick up a little more and he wasn’t sure how long it would last. So he had no choice but to find out all he could about the one occupying the bathroom. “I only seek shelter from the storm.” Daryl informed knowing that something had to give between the two of them. “Look, I’m going down stairs and wait for the storm to pass. I mean you no harm.” Daryl voiced as he slowly made his way down the stairwell.

Daryl looked back up the stairwell once he came to end and stepped down, making sure that whomever was up there didn’t come out and was about to put a round in his ass. He shook his head knowing that whomever was up there had the upper hand, His eyes shot out of the window thinking it would be best to head to a different place but that thought came to an end when the small horde of walkers funneling out of back alleyways onto the main drag of the town. “FUCK!” Daryl growled before moving to the side wall, next to a window. He tilted his head and watched as the walkers began filtering their way toward the surrounding area.

“Well fuck there goes the idea of finding another shelter.” He hissed to himself as he diverted his eyes toward the stairwell, wondering if he should inform the woman of the walkers. He stood debating for a few moments before moving back up the stairs. ‘We have company!” Daryl informed her before moving back downstairs to keep an eye on the small horde.
 
Kat frowned listening to him retreat. "Well fuck. Guess we better go make sure he isnt gonna kill us in our sleep." She was just getting out of the tub, sore as hell. Tying her mahogany hair up in a ponytail she heard him call up about visitors. "Damn" She opened the door and with her dog at heel, teeth hated he walked down the stairs with her. Kat looked best up, bruises all up her arms, her throat, even on on her jaw. Her torso was bruised and her ribs were likely bruised or broken. She saw the Walkers outside just as she saw the man. "Maybe we can just wait them out. They dont know we're here." She murmured. She knew she didn't have a chance to outrun them in her current state. She hadnt eaten or drank in over a day."

She had on hand on her gun, the other on her dog. She didn't trust this man, not in the slightest, but she understood a common enemy, if it took working with him to survive, then that's what she'd do.
 
Daryl eyeballed the woman for a few moments wondering what her story was, but what the real issue was trust, did he need to have eyes in the back of his head? Then there was the matter of that damn dog, which made the situation two to one if things went badly between them. His only ace in hand, which wasn’t much, was the fact that she didn’t shoot him or released her dog upon coming down the stairs, that was a positive point.

His gaze retreated from her to the bay window for if she was going to do anything aggressive toward him, her weapon would have been drawn, but as it was, it was still holstered and she was using terminology that has put them as partners already. He liked with things went this smoothly when meeting new people, it was far more preferable than shouting out over leveled weapons.

“Yeah.” Daryl doesn't like how the walkers seemed to be slowing down, some even slightly turned and scouted the area back down the main street. “Somethings up.” Daryl spoke out while keeping is gaze glued to the scouting walkers. “They hear something or see someone.” Daryl added as a hand full of walkers slowly moved back the way they came. “Well this isn’t good.” Daryl barked as now they had two small herds to keep tabs on.

“Go to the side and watch that group while I watch this one.” Daryl took only a few seconds to look over his shoulder at the woman before resuming his glare toward the smaller band of walkers.
 
She nodded "There's some dead bodies in the town, and another man likely around somewhere, he's tore up pretty good bleeding." She said. It was liable that the dead was attracted to both things. Nodding she left to go watch out the other window. Her dog stuck like glue to her side. Heading into the other room she watched closely, staying out of sight of the window. It see,ed like forever though was only may be 10 minutes before they rounded a corner heading off down the road. With a with of relief she turned and went back to the man. "They left, headed down the road out of town."

She still had her hand on her gun but it was as much for the dead now as it was the man. He didn't shoot her on sight and he certainly looked like he knew how to handle that cross bow of his. For better or worse, whether they liked it or not, they were a team right now and survival might depend on each other. She wasnt going to do anything to jeopardise her survival, she'd lived this long, she'd like that to continue.
 
Daryl only looked at the woman when she informed him about there being dead bodies around the town and that there was one that could still be alive somewhere in town, however he was beaten up and bleeding. He nodded his understanding and watched her leave the room to do as he asked her to do. His attention drifted back to the walkers as they made their way back down the street.

He turned back toward her when she came back into the room and informed him that the walkers moved on out of town. “Well that is some good news.” He remarked as he looked back out the window. “Our little squad moved down half way down the street and moved into the alley. “It might be where your attacker is.” Daryl turning toward the woman and noticing how bad she was. “Damn, are you okay?” he then noticed her hand upon her weapon. “Well… the storm is still looking bad, and it appears that your not in the best of shape. So I suggest we stay together til at least the storm passes.” Daryl pulled out a couple of candy bars. “Hungry?” he held the bar out to her.
 
Kat shrugged at his question, "I'm fine. Or will be. Nothing's broke, but they sure gave a me a beating. I've got bruised ribs, and a ton of other bruises, probably a bruised kidney as well." She shrugged. "No concussion, and no broken bones. I've been here a few days, and could likely use a few more before any real travel." She nodded when he suggested sticking together for at least the next little bit. When he offered her a candy bar she nodded eagerly. "I've been hole up in that bathroom, I was too sore to find anything to eat or drink and was mostly worried about hiding." She took the candy bar, removing her hand from her weapon, she unwrapped the bar and ate it slowly, savoring the flavor that she hadn't had in the last few months at least. She couldn't remember the last time she'd found a candy bar. Moving she sat down on the couch, cueing her dog to lay down at her feet. She was clearly sore and in pain, but she wasn't being a wuss about it. There was no point in that ."So where did you come from?" She asked curiously.
 
Daryl nodded with her self-analysis of herself for she knew what condiction she was in and how much rest she would need before going on her way. He followed her sense of trust as he leaned the bow up against the wall and picked up his backpack. He dug around for a few seconds before pulling out two bottles of water, tossing the backpack to the side he stood up and refoucesed his attention to the woman.

Daryl looked at the two bottles for a few moments when the woman asked where he was from. He pulled his eyes up from the labels to the young woman on the couch for a few moments before walking toward her. Stopping within a tossing distance due to the stare that he got from her dog, he wondered how in the hell the dog survived this long due to lack of food for humans and the numberous number of walkers.

Tossing the bottle of water to her, “Name is Daryl and I’m from a small town southwest of Altanta called Pine Mountain.” Daryl informed before taking a few steps back toward the window. Shooting a glance down the street before turning back toward her. “And what about you?” He asked in his normal low southern tone.
 
Kat caught the bottle, taking an eager drink as she listened to him. "Katherine. I was born and raised in Montana, but most recently I called Seattle Washington my home. Jasper and I were out in Atlanta for work when the world ended." She explained. Such bad luck, she'd have faired better if she'd been at home, with her unit to survive with. Now she didnt know if anyone one in her unit was alive or not. She'd thought about making the trek back to find out, but she hadn't really tried to plan that out yet. She relaxed back into the couch as she tried to stretch her sore side a bit. "Just bad luck that I ended up on the other side of the country the week that zombies took over." She shook her head, she use to have better luck, her nickname in the Military use to be Lucky for a reason. She stroked her dog's fur as he sat next to her legs, leaning against her, quietly observing their new companion.
 
Daryl smiled at the obvious hand and eye coordination when Kat caught the bottle without dropping it. “Nice.” He acknowledged before his gaze traversed over from the sofa to the window. The room was getting darker and the rumbling of the storm seemed like it was now at their front door. “Yeah, I hear ya.” Daryl agreed. “Being out in no man’s land with very little walkers... I would have been at home.” and to him it sounded like she would have been as well. “So what work brought you to the south?” Daryl asked with growing interest, his eyes refocusing upon her.

Daryl watched as she began stroking her pets fur. It seemed like they were a very close pair. For her not to have sliced him up for food, nor him to tear into her there had to be chemistry between them, something more than just them finding each other out here in the wild. No, there was training involved here, maybe a swat K9 team. “So, Military or Civilian?” Daryl finally asked.
 
Kat chuckled when he asked Military or Civilian. "I was military, then a cop for a couple years before finally working as Private security for a huge ER in the heart of Seattle. Set right between rival gangs, Jasper and I were tasked with keeping the peace there. We flew out to Atlanta to talk with an affiliate hospital on the work and requirements of maintaining a K9 unit in the hospital." She explained before taking another drink of the water.

"I got Jasper as a 8 month old, flew him over from the Czech Republic to train as my K9 once I'd retired as a cop and took the hospital gig." She scratched the big dog's ears as she spoke. "I am thankful everyday that I brought him with me to Atlanta." The dog had saved her life more than once.
 
Daryl nodded with a slight smile, he didn’t know that he asked for her resume, but was strangely relieved upon her sharing information to him openly, something he hasn’t and more than likely will not do. His factor of total trust was almost non-existent at the moment. The occurrence at the hospital and with Beth was pushed down by his will to make it so, but with every word this woman was talking about her dog being there for her, pushed that small barrier.

“Yeah, lucky for you.” Daryl’s tone of voice changing to a tint of anger. He moved away from the sofa toward the window not stopping till he was once again looking out of it. Large droplets of rain splattered against the plane and formed streams that trickled down the glass. He blew out with a huff the lump of stress, hurt, anger trying to rid himself of these pussy ass feelings Merle would be calling them.

It wasn’t long before Daryl’s eyes squinted trying to make out what was going on down the road. He moved over to another window but the view was blocked. “Something is going on down the street.” Daryl mentioned as he moved passed the sofa and stormed up the stairs. He was hoping to find a better view and just to get away from the woman before he lost what little control he had over the pain and anger.

The view wasn’t any better in any of the bedrooms, neither was his fist as he pulled it out of the weak plaster wall. His hands moved up against the wall as he leaned forward, head lowered. “Fuck!” He voiced out, spat dripping from his angered lips.
 
Kat could tell Daryl was angry now, though she didnt know why. She didn't know him well enough to ask so she simply kept quiet until he mentioned something down the street. She stood to go look out the window as he stormed upstairs. Kat wouldn't follow him, he could deal with his emotions on his own. She'd stay down here as she tried to find a better angle to see what was happening. She leaned against the wall, watching outside as she dipped her water. Her dog stretched out at her feet to relax and even nap as they waited. Kat still couldn't see what was out there but at least it wasn't getting any closer to the house.
 
Daryl pulled himself together with iron bands of anger, there wasn’t anything he could do to bring Beth back, but there was a situation occurring right now that if he played his cards right would increase his chances of survival. He didn’t know if he would ever go back to Rick’s group for everyone and everything would remind him of her. He had to move on if he was going to survive.

His mind dropped the subject and focused upon his new companion Kat and Jasper. He liked the thought of being out in no man’s land and wondered if Kat would want to head back west with him. Rick was taking the group east on a false assumption that getting to the coast was the best move, but now the best move was to get to densely populated area and live off the land. West it was for maybe this unit she was with is still alive.

The commotion down the road was more than likely her wounded assailant for the walkers were not moving toward the house. He took a deep breath and headed back down the stairs. His new idea and purpose put a jolt of hope into his soul. It felt good having a course of action.

He turned toward Kat upon steeping off the stairwell onto the living room floor. “I think they got your assailant.” Daryl spoke out while moving over to a chair and taking a seat. He looked over at Kat for the longest time before hunching up to the front of the seat. “I have an idea.” He took a few more seconds to think about it. “I think we should head back west, maybe back to your old kicking grounds.” He now studied her reaction.
 
When Daryl returned saying he thought the walkers got her attacker she nodded "Gppd." Shifting to watch her new companion as he sat down, and after a bit he spoke. Her eyes got wide 71st his suggestion, "That's a really long haul, Daryl." She mused but it would be for the best to get out into the middle of no where. "It would be safest to get out of the city. Just live off the land. Of and that's a big if, we can make it to my cabin in Washington, it could easily be fortified, in fact my unit may have already done it. I live out in the middle of no where, everyone else lived in the city." She explained as she thought about a dangerous trek across the country. But if she was honest she wanted to go home.
 
Daryl nodded to the information that Kat shared about her cabin and the possibility that her unit might have already fortified it. This wasn’t what Daryl seemed to be concentrating upon when he pulled his gaze from Kat to the wooden living room flooring. What occupied his thoughts were the what if’s that plague everyone’s mind when a life changing event occurs. He did know for a fact that he would rather risk moving back west than trudging around this area or even moving on to the east.

He pondered over the what if’s for what seemed like eternity before pulling his head up and refocusing upon Kat. “Well, by your expression and tone of voice. I say we are in an agreement to head back to your kicking ground.” Daryl informed her of his decision and was basically waiting for her to put the final stamp of approval on their agreement. “I think we should gather what supplies we can take from this town in the morning and plan on hiking out of here toward the evening hours.” He offered her a plan of action. His eyes leveling to hers as he waited to see if she agreed or had any other ideas to add or a completely different plan.
 
She nods "yeah let's do it." She agreed. "There's probably supplies in the basement here, or could be. There's pictures of the family camping and hiking. They might have all that stuff here. It would a big help for us." She said. Luckily her body has had a few days to heal so by tomorrow night she should be well enough to travel. Maybe sore, but strong enough. "A car of some kind would be a massive help. When we go through town id like to try and find both a local map and a country map, figure out where we are." She suggested.
 
Daryl felt like a pompous ass when Kat brought up that she should be ready to travel by tomorrow evening with her wounds and all. He was so hyped about the thought of getting to a less densely populated area that he completely for about her condition. He shook her head slightly with disbelief but quickly explained his head shaking so there was no miss signals of her ideas. “Maybe tomorrow night is pushing it. Lets give it a few days so that we can scavenge the town a little better, not be in such a rush.”

Daryl stood up, “I’ll go down and see what’s down in the basement. When I get back up, why don’t you go upstairs and get some rest in one of the bedrooms. I’ll keep watch.” Daryl looked at her for a few moments before moving to the basement.

After just about fifteen minutes Daryl walked back up with a smile upon his face. He looked to Kat with the grin. “You were correct. We know have a nice set of camping equipment. Now what we will need is a cargo carrying vehicle maybe two.” He moved over and grabbed his bow. “I got watch if you wish to get some rest.” He moved to the window somewhat disheartened by the heavy storm for when it gets like this everyone tries to find a place to get out of the weather which means empty houses.

“Maybe it would be best if you stay on the sofa. That is if it’s comfortable.” He decided if they did get company it would be best for them to be close.
 
She shakes her head, "I can travel, I wanna get out of here as soon as possible. I'll be sore but it's nothing I can't handle." She assured. She kept watch while he hunted thorugh the basement. Relief was clear on her face when he returned and reported what he found. "That's great, it'll be a big help." She said, pleased. Nodding she moved to the couch. "It'll be comfortable enough. I'd rather be close by just in case." Her big dog laid down by the couch as she stretched out, relaxing. Overall she was feeling pretty good, even if she still looked all bruised and battered. It took several minutes before she was able to relax enough to drift off to sleep, her sleep was mostly peaceful, though she'd mutter or twitch, shifting in her sleep as her mind raced through so many different dreams and memories.
 
Daryl nodded his agreement even though he disagreed with the fact that they should take off tomorrow evening instead of waiting til the day after for her to heal a little bit. He didn’t question her ability to handle the pain or the discomfort that her wounds would give her. But pain is a distraction which is very deadly when surrounded by a bunch of walkers whom wants to eat; However, they just made a truce between them and he wasn’t going to jeopardize that, besides, she knows her limitations while wounded better than he did, he was just making educated assumptions from watching the others in Rick’s group when they were wounded.

He watched her get settled on the couch, her dog taking his place on the floor next to her before turning and moving toward the window. He didn’t know why he felt this uncomfortable throb in his gut, but he has learned to trust it. He gazed out the window with disdain for it was still way to stormy to see anything. ‘Fuck,’ He grumbled, pulled his bow up from the floor and moved over to the small chair that was vertical with the sofa.

Daryl smiled flipping the pancake up and catching it before putting the pan back down on the propane gas stove. He broke a few eggs that he had found into a container and smiled even bigger when the rank of bad egg didn’t met with his sniff. ‘Damn, everything is going good this morning.’ He muttered to himself as he slid the finished pancake on the plate then taking the eggs and whipping them up a few times before pouring them into another skillet. His mind shifted over to Kat while pouring the second pancake, he hoped she like pancakes and scrambled eggs for that was what she was getting.
 
Katherine slept mostly peacefully, she was curled into a tight little ball as she slept, trying to ward off the memories. When she woke the next morning she thought it was a dream. "Hunter?" She murmured as she woke more fully. Shaking those thoughts away she stood up carefully, following the scent of food to the kitchen, seeing Daryl. "What are you doing?" She asked in disbelief, that he could possibly be cooking breakfast. In this world, that just didn't happen, at least not in a kitchen. Maybe over a campfire, but certainly not civilized in a kitchen, with what looked like eggs and pancakes.
 
Daryl flipped the last pancake over into the skillet before turning toward Kat, whom seemed to have an astonished look upon her face. He chuckled inward at the look and smiled to her, “Well, I’m cooking dangerously!” Daryl noted with a sheepish smile upon his face. By-passing the containment value could have backfired and the flame could have went down into the piping and well they wouldn’t have felt any pain if it happened.

He quickly shut of the flames and sat the plate down upon the table. “Well, the deed is already done and we survived the risk factor so … If your not hungry I bet Jasper is!” Daryl snapped jokingly. He knew it was a risk, but he wanted to get across that he was willing to provide and offer the best when the opportunity came. Or maybe he just wanted to impress a good looking woman which wasn’t beyond possibilities.

He moved to the cabinets, a dishearten look appeared upon his face. “Well, damn no maple syrup but we have some honey!” Daryl looked over at Kat, “Plain or honeyed?” He lifted both plates up and extended them toward her. “There is a bag of dog food on the floor of the panty.” He added while looking down at Jasper. “So which is it going to be...” He eyed the plates once more.
 
She didn't mind the risks that he took, it smelt wonderful. Nodding she stepped further into the kitchen. "Looks great." She compliments, smiling. "Honey on it, please." Walking to the pantry she got a scoop of dog food and put it in the dish. Murmuring to the dog she cued him to eat before she returned. "I can't remember the last time I had pancakes and eggs for breakfast." She said with a smile, "THank you." It was just a little bit of normal, and it helped be able to cope with the crazy that was their life now. To have just a bit of normal, to pretend for even a little while that the dead didn't roam the earth wanting to kill any living being out there. Taking a plate from him she sat at the table, waiting for him to join her before she started eating slowly. Groaning softly she closed her eyes, chewing and swallowing before speaking. "God. This is wonderful." Her nearly colorless eyes focused on Daryl. "This was an unexpected surprise, thank you."
 
Back
Top