a Question about Handcuffs

Byakuya

Literotica Guru
Anyone have experience with handcuffs? I was thinking about getting my wife a pair of handcuffs for Christmas, but I don't want some cheap ones that are gonna break if we use them. Are the furry handcuffs you get at sex stores strong enough to really restrain someone? Or are they just a novelty toy that will break when put to the test? Would it be better to get some official police handcuffs?

Anyone have experience with handcuffs? I was thinking about getting my wife a pair of handcuffs for Christmas, but I don't want some cheap ones that are gonna break if we use them. Are the furry handcuffs you get at sex stores strong enough to really restrain someone? Or are they just a novelty toy that will break when put to the test? Would it be better to get some official police handcuffs?

i have broken furry cuffs quite easily. However, they are a bit kinder/gentler.

If i were you, I would get police issue handcuffs. If you are at all creative...you could always MAKE the furry covers for them.

I'd go with leather restraints. Wrist and ankle. They are a lot more versatile and won't bruise. Unless the idea is to cause pain. Then get the cuffs.

I vote leather too. Metal cuffs can damage delicate tendons and cause nasty unsightly bruising to the wrists if pulled on too hard for too long. Leather is more comfortable. It's safer and if it has a buckle instead of a lock, easier to be released from in an emergency.

I have to go with the leather or properly tied rope. Hand cuffs, even padded, can cause nerve damage.

I have to disagree somewhat with WD here in that pain is one thing, permanent damage is something else altogether. Pain can be inflicted without permanent damage so why take that risk?

Ishmael

I'm in agreement with the rest. I have a lovely pair of leather cuffs that are fur lined. Soft rope works great as well. The pain of metal biting into my wrist bone ruins the pain he is inflicting on my bottom, which in turn pisses us both off. :D

I have neoprene restraints that are fastened by velcro.... do the job just nicely without leaving any marks at all.... so much nicer than the hand cuffs - which I must admit I've broken 4 pairs of so far ;)

While I have used cuffs before, and police-issue ones, I have taken courses in using the bloody things for a security job I had. I used them previously because they are what I had available. These days, it's leather or rope.

Now, as a prop for kidnap scenarios, or cop/prisoner scenes, they're great, but make dead certain you use them as intended, and use the double-lock. All you have to do to realise the dangers of improperly used handcuffs is to read up on how many police depts get sued for bad cuff use each year.

I vote leather too. Metal cuffs can damage delicate tendons and cause nasty unsightly bruising to the wrists if pulled on too hard for too long. Leather is more comfortable. It's safer and if it has a buckle instead of a lock, easier to be released from in an emergency.

Ditto. We never use metal cuffs for these reasons. We use leather restraints, rope, or neoprene cuffs.

thanks for all the feedback everyone! okay, I'll probably get some leather ones instead.. I just wanted something that we wouldn't be able to escape from..

the leather strap ones seem pretty tough to get out of unless you can reach one hand to the other.. then you can undo one strap with the other hand and vice versa..

the main reason I wanted handcuffs was for ease of use.. I wanted something that's quick to put on.. my wife is still a little on the fence with all this bondage stuff, so she isn't going to want to take the time to tie knots.. but maybe leather straps are quick enough she wouldn't mind.. or I could put them on and then she could lock them..

Well...

I agree with all above...

I have to say hand cuffs suck...

They hurt. And not in a good way... I have had many bruises and have to suggest trying zip ties insted...

Police now use them too in bigger cities because they are less damaging than cuffs

And they have to be cut off, which means she can't take them off alone when you're there... but in case of emergency she could run to the junk drawer and grab the siscors
And free herself if need be...

Other than that leather or other soft cuffs rule... Someone bought cuffs for me once, and now I have a fetish type attachment to wrist cuffs. I'd say great gift.

Have fun!

Last edited:
thanks for all the feedback everyone! okay, I'll probably get some leather ones instead.. I just wanted something that we wouldn't be able to escape from..

You can get leather ones that lock you know. I think it's unnecessary. No one has ever wanted to escape from mine.

Shop around and try ebay too. That's where I found mine.

never used the furry cuffs but i'm guessing they break pretty easy. Master has a set of 'official police handcuffs' they are not all that comfortable, but then again isn't that the point....kind of? ;)

Get a good pair of EMT shears too if you can. It's FAR better to cut off a pair of $80 leather cuffs than to get stuck fumbling with a key if you have an emergency. Ditto for when you are using rope. And just in case it needs to be said, do NOT play with silk scarves unless you are prepared to cut them off...those knots will slip tight as the sub struggles and they will not want to come off!

I believe they are also called bandage scissors or shears.

Get a good pair of EMT shears too if you can. It's FAR better to cut off a pair of $80 leather cuffs than to get stuck fumbling with a key if you have an emergency. Ditto for when you are using rope. And just in case it needs to be said, do NOT play with silk scarves unless you are prepared to cut them off...those knots will slip tight as the sub struggles and they will not want to come off!

I believe they are also called bandage scissors or shears.

bandage scissors... biggest way to tell.. other than the name.. is one blade will have a bulbous tip... it's so it can be tucked under a bandage (hence the name) without damaging the skin/wound under it

After 17 years in law enforcement, about half of that as a trainer, I am pretty confident in my ability to use handcuffs. Points to consider before using metal police handcuffs for recreational use:

Handcuffs can cause injury if applied improperly.

Handcuffs can cause injury even if applied properly and the subject the handcuffs are on struggles or moves in such a way as to apply additional pressure to the cuffs.

Handcuffs can cause injury even if applied properly and the subject doesn't struggle. Check the handcuffs, the wrists and hands of the person the cuffs are on every 15 minutes or so to insure they have not tightend, and there is still good circulation to the hands.

Handcuffs are intended to be a TEMPORARY restraining device. They are made to secure the person in question long enough to get from the point of arrest to a detention cell or some other kind of holding facility. They are NOT meant for long term wear.

Yes, you can use them in scene, just be bloody careful!

Smith & Wesson and Peerless are the brands most police departments use. They are cheaper by far at a cop shop or gun store that sells law enforcement supplies than an adult toy store. If any one asks why you want them, tell them you have a friend graduating from the academy soon... ;)

Nuff said.

I have a currently retired pair of metal cuffs, I used to really love them. The cool feeling at first before they warmed up to body temperature and the locking noises were quite comforting, the slight jarring during application and finally the anchoring feeling induced just by adjusting to the weight of them. Considering my right wrist was fractured badly not that many years ago I still find it curious that at one stage they felt a bit like a security blanket of sorts. Representing a great deal of shared affection. They never had a large amount of resistance placed on them, so there was little risk of injury for me. I think that which contributed to the fact is that they do not have a standard chain length between the cuffs themselves. Off the top of my head we are talking about a 20 cms in chain length separating between each cuff which gives considerably more range of movement in some specific circumstances.

I do not think they are 'ideal', nor would I recommend them based on the criteria you have expressed Byakuya.

I do personally enjoy them as an option. We won't entreat the irrelevance of that statement currently : laughsmiles :

As far as safety and metal cuffs there have been some brilliant posts preceding mine that outline the shortcomings of their use. I have nothing to contribute in that area.

I actually quite like rope as an alternative as well , though that plays into the pathos of it's application. It's ritualistic and for me that's appealing.

Leather cuffs that are lined sound the 'ideal'. I have no first hand experience of them. I imagine like most accoutrement they develop a charm of their own that surpasses just being a tool of the trade over time.

So shoot me I'm a romantic.

Last edited:

The cheap kinky ones break... The real ones break your wrists...
They are made to do that..
I have a set . Smith and Wessons. I use them mainly for "decoration". Situations where they won't be under any stress but the idea is important.

P.S. Yes..You CAN cut off the real thing..... Rather easily, though it is somewhat time consuming... Nope...Not telling how.

Last edited:
P.S. Yes..You CAN cut off the real thing..... Rather easily, though it is somewhat time consuming... Nope...Not telling how.
I know , I know !!!!

'They' use their domly powers of mental telepathy stuff.

They glare at the cuffs and they just sort of explode !

: BOOM :

Just like that, all doms can do it :)

I know , I know !!!!

'They' use their domly powers of mental telepathy stuff.

They glare at the cuffs and they just sort of explode !

: BOOM :

Just like that, all doms can do it :)

Exactly, just yesterday afternoon, I spent an hour untying knots with only a stern gaze.

Trick cuffs.

I have a pair of those trick metal handcuffs that can lock but if you move a small switch on the sides of each cuff they open easily. They also come with a key they do lock and can open very fast. They do not continue to close once you close a switch they look very real and have some weight to them. I got mine at the local adult shop for $20, so they also mite be an good idea for you?

Back