Flashfic thread: Rotating themes

How many posts to change the topic?


  • Total voters
    54
So TE's shoes don't feel self conscious ...

6 out of 10
Clothing

He reached into the box and pulled out a bundle wrapped in tissue paper. Unwrapping it, he cupped the tiny white shoes in his palm. They were his old baby shoes. The first pair he’d ever worn. The leather soles still clean, but the toes scuffed almost through from crawling miles and miles across the floors of that old house.

He looked for a note or a letter inside the box, but there was nothing else. “I wonder why my mother sent us these old baby shoes.”

She placed his hand on her still flat stomach, smiled and whispered, “Guess.”

(100 words exactly)
 
That was a dandy one, pretty witch.

It really touched my 'sole'. ;)
 
7 out of 10
Clothing


Panties. She had dozens of them, strewn like a silken rainbow across her bed. She needed to decide which ones to wear tonight. Red lace? Black satin? Thong? Bikini? Boy shorts? The pink ones and the white lace ones had matching bras, but she wouldn’t be wearing one with that dress. The violet silk ones were her favorites, but he’d seen those. She glanced at the clock.

Yikes! He’d be here any minute. Finally she made her decision and slid her dress over her head.

She whispered to her date as they finished their dessert. “I’m not wearing any panties.”


(100 words exactly)
 
8 of 10
Clothing

Browsing in a thrift store this morning I was amazed. My Varsity Football jacket was hanging on a rack. I hadn't seen it for twenty years.

My name was inside, faded but legible. I had given it to my sweetheart Mary in senior year as a love token. Her father lost his job and they moved. I never saw her or the jacket again. Now here it was, a part of my past returned.

Cycling home I saw a homeless man shivering. I gave it to him and he thanked me.

Make some more memories, jacket. I already have mine.

(100 even)
 
9 of 10
Clothing

"C'mon, hon. It's almost 8:00. We should be on the road by now."

"In a minute, dear. I just can't decide between the red skirt and the white blouse and the green skirt and the gold blouse."

"Well pick one, will you. We're gonna be late."

"The black purse or the white one. Which do you like dear?"

"The black one. Can we go now?"

"Yes. I'm ready. Which way are we going?"

"I think I'll take the Interstate. Or maybe stay on Oak Drive all the way."

"Make up your mind dear. Don't be indecisive. Why are you laughing?"

(100 even)
 
10/10 Clothing

Stacks of baby clothes surrounded her. To her left were the newborn summer sleepers, undershirts, and onesies.

Next came bigger sleepers, the jack o’ lantern outfit that said “Mommy’s Li’l Punkin,” and a pint-sized sweater.

Winter was behind her—fleece sleepers, the red velvet Christmas dress, the lovely pink velour outfit.

Then lighter pajamas, hooded jacket, white leather Keds, and flowered coveralls. Spring.

Along came summer again on the right. Shorts, tank tops, the tiny aqua polka-dotted “babin’ suit.”

Tucking her memories away, she packed her baby’s first seasons into a box to give away. Sometimes letting go is hard.

(100)

Next topic: SUMMER
 
Summer
1 of 10

She was eating peaches when he first saw her. Her mouth was sticky and shiny with the juice from the fruit. She licked her fingers one by one and then turned the page of the book she was reading. The striped canvas hammock swayed as her foot pushed against the ground, sending it gently swinging again and again. Bees buzzed around her, gathering nectar from the fragrant honeysuckle vines. Their steady drone a counterpart to the music quietly playing from the nearby boom box. She smiled, holding the last slice of peach up to his mouth.

“Want a bite?”


(100 words exactly)
 
Summer
2 of 10

“It’s too hot out there.” Her son came running in from the backyard. She glanced at the clock. Nine thirty. It couldn’t be that hot out this early in the morning.

“Go play in the shade.”

“There’s nothing to do.” She looked out at all the bicycles, sports gear and enough playground equipment to do a city park proud.

“You could clean your room.”

“Brent’s mother takes him to the pool every day.” Brent’s mother was a paragon of modern parenting, at least according to her son.

“Good for Brent’s mother.”

“I’m bored.”

Ah, the first day of summer vacation.


(100 words exactly)
 
Summer
3 of 10

"This is my secret fishing spot," said Mike, dropping the anchor. "I've caught some mighty big one's here."

"It's beautiful and so peaceful," Lisa replied.

"Just us and the fish, baby doll."

"Not so fast," Lisa said with a grin. "Your fishing widow wants some lovin' first." She removed her shirt revealing firm, brown-nippled breasts. Mike undressed hurriedly.

They made love, took a swim, made love again and lay naked in the warm Summer sun.

"I think I caught the big one today," Lisa giggled, stroking Mike's chest.

"That's because you had the right bait," he replied, kissing her.

(100 even)
 
Summer
4 of 10

In the Summer I rode my Schwinn Roadmaster bike all over town. To the grocery for my mother, the tobacconist for my father, the junkyard for my brother to pick up car parts.

I rode to the lake to swim and the park to play sandlot baseball.

I gave Donna a ride on my handlebars and then on the seat in front of me. We first kissed on a balmy evening while chasing fireflies.

That bike and I went everywhere together.

Now I'm rebuilding and repainting it for my grandson. When he can ride, he can enjoy the summers too.

(100 even)
 
glynndah said:
Very nice, TE. Both of them.

Thanks pretty witch. I enjoyed yours too. :D

Hey you newbies out there. Care to take a shot at one? The more the merrier.
 
TE999 said:
'Fraid not, pretty witch.

It looks like our ball game. :D

You're up!

Give me a few minutes. I'll see what I can come up with.
 
Summer
5 out of 10

I went to a wedding today. A simple wedding in a simple country church. Organ music and that same verse “Love is patient and kind” everyone quotes. Bridesmaids and bouquets and candles and all the rest. Everything you’d expect to see in a summer wedding.

This is the third wedding of the groom’s that I’ve been to. He’ll turn 75 in August. His second bride was my husband’s aunt. The bride and the groom lit three candles honoring their dead spouses. The bridesmaids were their daughters; the groomsmen their sons. Their granddaughters sang together. Three families blended into one family.

(100 words exactly - and not fiction, either)
 
6 of 10 for summer

Love changes in this weather. When it's too hot for the entangling sheets, and the sweat between us threatens to slick us apart- as if, in the slip-and-slide, I might slide away from her. When the mattress is as warm as the wide-open-window’s feeble breeze, so that I feel weightless in lust-- lust feels weightless-- I need her to pin me down, and so I pull her atop me while she laughs and complains about the heat and my sweat, and wanting a shower-- but I won’t let her lose me, I won’t lose her, to this devious summer heat.

(100 words)
(Edited to add; 104 words, actually...)
 
Last edited:
7 of 10
Summer

Others may have Summer's past remembered from photos or music, mine are recalled from smells.

Fresh popcorn, grilled hot dogs, sun warmed canvas and sun tan lotion all remind me of time spent at the beach.

The family car trip each Summer to visit my grandparents was another olfactory kalidioscope. No air conditioning then.

The smell of vinyl seats, oil and hot metal from the engine, the scent of new mown grass, the odor of hot asphalt from the two lane blacktop we rode on and our lunch of fried chicken, potato salad and home made bread.

Summers smell wonderful.

(100 even)
 
Summer 8 of 10

They met while swimming in the huge municipal park pool one July afternoon, then ran into each other later at the pavillion. They watched the high school kids dance to the jukebox out on the open terrace for a while, then went for a walk by the lake in the early evening moonlight. She reached over casually and took hold of his hand. He wanted to kiss her but was afraid she might reject him. He hoped maybe he’d get another chance some day. And he did. They married twelve years later when he was twenty-five and she twenty-four.
 
9 of 10

A perfect day for what I had in mind, it was sunny and ninety degrees. I had her top down as I backed her out of the garage. With the stereo cranked up, I headed down the road at an easy pace. Soon the weight of the world began to lift, as I found the place I had in mind. Smooth and curved, it seemed to be made for us. We sat at the corner and looked one last time for intruders. Alone, I floored her and let her fly! Nothing better than playing in the summer in my Corvette!

(100 words)
 
Summer 10/10

"Whacha waitin' for? Get in the water!"

Bill stood at the pool's edge, dipping his toes in. "It's cold," he said.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "No it ain't. Just feels cold 'cause you're hot." I backed up; made sure the way was clear.

"Follow me, you have to jump in," I told him. I took a deep breath, ran forward, and dove into the pool. I shut my eyes just before hitting the water, and swam blind for several feet.

When I opened them, I was an arm's length from a familiar sight. Even underwater, I'd know those cheeks.

-------
New subject: Flying
 
Flying
1 of 10

The Squadron Leader's SPAD S.XIII banked lazily to the right, his wingmen following closely.

Dawn patrol on the Eastern front was both beautiful and dangerous. The rising sun cast the clouds in multicolored hues, but made spotting an enemy plane difficult.

The left wingman signaled that planes sighted below them were the enemy. Red Fokker DVII's in a flight of three.

The SPAD's dove in from the sun, Vicker's machine guns blazing. Two of the enemy spun earthward in flames, the other escaping to his own lines. There were two empty chairs in the Jagdgeschwader 1 mess tent that morning.

(100 even)
 
Back
Top