Any hardcore Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire fans?

I started off enjoying Bran as a character and felt atleast for the first few books he was going somewhere then he met up with Sam who took him to Frostfingers and I thought "here we go!" Then it just got boring for me it was almost like a ...hmm what to do with Bran now?

As for issues of violence, I don't think the TV series does anything different from the book I know my wife finds some of it a little extreme (clegane and his horse) maybe I'm inured to violence nowadays, I don't think shows are trying to beat other shows on violence they all see what is being allowed and go "well we can do that too then".

Anyone think of any miscasting in the TV show? I know alot of people feel Jamie has been miscast I don't agree. And I think they have done pretty well especially if you check out the Stark kids headshots outside of GoT an uncanny resemblence and good actors too.

Sort of on topic and maybe a little off how do we all feel about Ron Howard adapting The Dark Tower series....fills me with dread.

Casting has been close to perfect, including Jaime. Only quibble is Oona Chaplin, but that's a "Helen of Troy" problem. It's easy to write a character that makes a smart man do foolish things, but harder to portray her on film, particularly if you make her a "good girl".

The actor playing Jorah isn't the bear from the books, but it's an improvement.

Casting has been close to perfect, including Jaime. Only quibble is Oona Chaplin, but that's a "Helen of Troy" problem. It's easy to write a character that makes a smart man do foolish things, but harder to portray her on film, particularly if you make her a "good girl".

I forgot about her! Her character in the series was not what I expected from the books...seeing that she was meant to be Jeyne westerling, George R.R. Martin suggested changing the characters name because she was totally rewritten.

I think with Jorah they've gone for someone you could see falling for Daenerys, James Cosmo who played Jeor Mormont now there's a bear of a man for you!!!

I forgot about her! Her character in the series was not what I expected from the books...seeing that she was meant to be Jeyne westerling, George R.R. Martin suggested changing the characters name because she was totally rewritten.

I think with Jorah they've gone for someone you could see falling for Daenerys, James Cosmo who played Jeor Mormont now there's a bear of a man for you!!!

I like the new Jorah.

I think Jaime is great, and great casting. I wonder if any dislike right now is that viewers (probably) prefer him all cleaned up in nice clothes; he's a handsome guy, after all. However, being down and dirty might be more in keeping with his actual character. :) I remember wondering about casting Brienne but I think they did a splendid job -- she's tall and big, but a woman, and not even a very mannish looking one except in size.

I'm wondering if making Robb's wife Talisa, as opposed to someone from yet another House, may make things easier. There's already plenty to keep track of and I'm not sure one more family/House would have helped.

Knowing what happens in the book, I have to say I am so curious to see where they end this season, what they use as the cliffhanger because there are a couple of great (and obvious) choices.

Random theory: I have wondered since the beginning if Jon Snow is indeed Ned's son. Strikes me he could be one of Robert Baratheon's. I don't know why he'd rate protection more than any of Robert's other kids, but still. I wonder.

Anyone else? When I mentioned this to a friend who also watches last night, she'd never thought of it. I thought of it right off. Maybe I'm just naturally suspicious.

Random theory: I have wondered since the beginning if Jon Snow is indeed Ned's son. Strikes me he could be one of Robert Baratheon's. I don't know why he'd rate protection more than any of Robert's other kids, but still. I wonder.

Anyone else? When I mentioned this to a friend who also watches last night, she'd never thought of it. I thought of it right off. Maybe I'm just naturally suspicious.

Jon's parentage is one of the most discussed points about the books. I don't want to provide pseudo-spoilers, but there is a lot of subtle evidence in the books (anything to do with Robert's Rebellion and all dreams/prophecies) that has been parsed by fans, resulting in a dominant theory that is extremely convincing. Check out the forums on westeros.org if you are really curious. Or IM me.

Jon's parentage is one of the most discussed points about the books. I don't want to provide pseudo-spoilers, but there is a lot of subtle evidence in the books (anything to do with Robert's Rebellion and all dreams/prophecies) that has been parsed by fans, resulting in a dominant theory that is extremely convincing. Check out the forums on westeros.org if you are really curious. Or IM me.

I personally believe Jon IS Neds son, as for his part....Perhaps stannis is not R'hollor reborn even Melisandre Knows something is not quite right that maybe Jon fits that role better.

Let's not forget that all the Stark children including the bastard Jon are Wargs none of Roberts Bastards have shown or even been hinted at having that trait.

I personally believe Jon IS Neds son, as for his part....Perhaps stannis is not R'hollor reborn even Melisandre Knows something is not quite right that maybe Jon fits that role better.

Let's not forget that all the Stark children including the bastard Jon are Wargs none of Roberts Bastards have shown or even been hinted at having that trait.

I would tend to think Melisandre is using Stannis, playing up this idea of him being the god reborn.

I don't know that there's any indication that any of the Stark kids besides Bran is a warg. I've read all the books -- and I know I don't remember every thing -- but none of them have had dreams like he has, or anything like that. Jon obviously has a connection with his direwolf, as they all do, but again, not sure that means he's a warg.

As for Robert's bastards -- the only one we know at all is Gendry, so we can't say about the others. Except that as many as could be found and killed, were.

I would tend to think Melisandre is using Stannis, playing up this idea of him being the god reborn.

I don't know that there's any indication that any of the Stark kids besides Bran is a warg. I've read all the books -- and I know I don't remember every thing -- but none of them have had dreams like he has, or anything like that. Jon obviously has a connection with his direwolf, as they all do, but again, not sure that means he's a warg.

As for Robert's bastards -- the only one we know at all is Gendry, so we can't say about the others. Except that as many as could be found and killed, were.

Arya and Jon both have wolf dreams, just as Bran did. Sansa's wolf is dead, and there aren't any POV chapters for Rickon and Robb. My recollection is that there are some specific scenes in SoS indicating Jon is a warg (his conflict with the wildling warg, who seemed to believe Jon was one), but I don't remember the specifics.

Yeah, There are a lot of hints Millasandre is misreading her prophecies. There is a great line in DoD, something like "she tried to find the king but all she could see was snow." Martin loves his symbolism.

Arya and Jon both have wolf dreams, just as Bran did. Sansa's wolf is dead, and there aren't any POV chapters for Rickon and Robb. My recollection is that there are some specific scenes in SoS indicating Jon is a warg (his conflict with the wildling warg, who seemed to believe Jon was one), but I don't remember the specifics.

Yeah, There are a lot of hints Millasandre is misreading her prophecies. There is a great line in DoD, something like "she tried to find the king but all she could see was snow." Martin loves his symbolism.

I'd buy that about Arya and Jon, I just didn't recall it, and in the TV series, it at least hasn't received a lot of attention. And Arya is separated from her wolf (I keep waiting for that one to come back) so perhaps that is delaying Arya's warg abilities.

I figure -- because I'm generally a linear thinker :) -- that Melisandre is working on advancing herself or her power and using this religion to do so. If she hadn't found Stannis to play the role of the god reborn, she would have found someone else.

Ah-ha you forget Jon has travelled in Ghosts body many times especially when he was beyond the wall. And Arya has dreams of being in a wolf pack (Nymeria's pack don't forget Arya had to chase her away in book one or risk seeing her killed) though she does not quite realise what the dreams signify. And Rikon's direwolf really fed off him and his emotions. I would say there is something in the Stark bloodline that carries the ability to be a Warg.

Melisandre was playing Stannis right up to the battle at the wall then she saw something in Jon why else would she send Stannis off on his own that's not her style. Question is will she just try and use Jon the same way.

I hate melisandre. She only brings goddamn trouble.

It was cool to finally see more of the red priests, over the shallow sea.

I hate reading from the POV of Theon's uncle, whatever that dude's name was. He's so cruel. He sacrifices a bunch of slaves for no reason, and then he threw a Maester overboard because the Maester told him that a bunch of the crew had raped him.

:(

I hate melisandre. She only brings goddamn trouble.

It was cool to finally see more of the red priests, over the shallow sea.

I hate reading from the POV of Theon's uncle, whatever that dude's name was. He's so cruel. He sacrifices a bunch of slaves for no reason, and then he threw a Maester overboard because the Maester told him that a bunch of the crew had raped him.

:(

Euron Crows eye if I remember rightly, but probably not!!!

I read his chapters like I read the Bolton's with a twisted fascination and the horrible thing is you just know that none of them will get their comeuppance.... Damn you Martin!

I kind of like Melisandre she's difficult to read as a character she's got a plan but she is not telling anyone...plus she's a redhead so go easy on her :)

Euron Crows eye if I remember rightly, but probably not!!!

I read his chapters like I read the Bolton's with a twisted fascination and the horrible thing is you just know that none of them will get their comeuppance.... Damn you Martin!

I kind of like Melisandre she's difficult to read as a character she's got a plan but she is not telling anyone...plus she's a redhead so go easy on her :)

I think that Euron's going to die. He's going toe-to-toe with Danaerys, he thinks he's just going to steal her and bring her back to be queen of pyke.

Dude's got another thing coming!

I think that Euron's going to die. He's going toe-to-toe with Danaerys, he thinks he's just going to steal her and bring her back to be queen of pyke.

Dude's got another thing coming!

See you think it'd going one way then Martin throws it up in the air and leaves our heads spinning (just like Ned) and who knows it might just be that easy to nab Danaerys don't forget he has the horn that can destroy dragons don't underestimate Euron.

And I have just realised I have no idea when the sixth book comes out....how bad is that!

Nobody knows. Not even GRRM. I wouldn't even begin looking for it for at least 4 more years.

Bummer isn't!

Just checked on that great font of 100% accurate knowledge wikipedia. They have it down as still being written though at least we have a title "winds of winter" that is until Martin changes his mind.

loved Sunday's episode.

Indeed.

And I can't help it, I'm such a geek sometimes -- I just saw the actors who play Davos and Edmure on Dr Who Saturday night, plus Edmure was Brutus on "Rome."

Loved the opening council scene with the chairs.

I wonder how long they are going to draw out Danaerys's story? Because she is my favorite character arc!

Back