Riddle Me This

I am periodically the number 79. Long ago some attempted to make me from 29, but learned it couldn't be done. If you add me to 80 I appear to be 47 temporarily.
What am I?

My great-grandmother was exceptional from first to last. She was the first baby born in the state in 1851. She was almost the first centenarian in the family, but she died in 1950, one day before her 100th birthday.

The cause of her death was not unusual; thousands of people died of the same cause that year and also in previous years. Her death was exceptional because she was the last person ever to die from that cause in the United States.

What was the cause of death?

Use synonyms of the following phrases to decode popular movie titles.

1.) Razors of Honor

2.) Wonder-male Comes Back

3.) Ruler of the Bands

4.) Endless Light of the Unstained Head

5.) Super Quartet

6.) Mandibles

1. blades of glory

5. fantastic four

6. jaws

Use synonyms of the following phrases to decode popular movie titles.

1.) Razors of Honor

2.) Wonder-male Comes Back

3.) Ruler of the Bands

4.) Endless Light of the Unstained Head

5.) Super Quartet

6.) Mandibles

2. Superman Returns

3. Lord of the Rings

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

My great-grandmother was exceptional from first to last. She was the first baby born in the state in 1851. She was almost the first centenarian in the family, but she died in 1950, one day before her 100th birthday.

The cause of her death was not unusual; thousands of people died of the same cause that year and also in previous years. Her death was exceptional because she was the last person ever to die from that cause in the United States.

Around 1950 the NHSC adopted the IDC-6 classifications for causes of death. I couldn't find comparative lists, but I'm guessing that her cause was re-classified. You might have to tell us the answer to this one Lexie.

Every dawn begins with me,
At dusk I'll be the first you see,
And daybreak couldn't come without
What midday centers all about.
Daises grow from me, I'm told
And when I come, I end all cold,
But in the sun I won't be found,
Yet still, each day I'll be around.

the letter "d"

Around 1950 the NHSC adopted the IDC-6 classifications for causes of death. I couldn't find comparative lists, but I'm guessing that her cause was re-classified. You might have to tell us the answer to this one Lexie.

You are a smart monkey, Jett. That is the exact reason why. Old age is the answer.

The below classified ads were spotted in this week's newspaper. They all share a common feature.

What is that common feature, and who is each ad's author?

1. Crimson cloaked young female seeks protection services. Task include food courier service. Outdoor experience a plus. Inquire with grandmother.

2. For Sale: 20 mattresses. Like new, used only once. Each shares common irregularity, not discernible by most. Make offer.

3. For Sale: Two adjacent lots. Located near new brick housing. Land can be cleared of debris upon request. Will build to suit.

4. Debris removal services required. Have large amounts of vegetation that requires cut up and removal. Please call for details. Gold or specialty hybrid seeds available for trade.

5. Lost: 1 Slipper, translucent in color. Sentimental value. Last seen, yesterday before midnight. Please leave message with stepmother.

The Pope has it but he does not use it.
Your father has it but your mother uses it.
Nuns do not need it.
Arnold Schwarzenegger has a big one,
Michael J. Fox's is quite small.
What is it?

Someone has stolen Beethoven's Wig and has put it in one of four locked boxes. The boxes are numbered from 1,2,3,4 in that order. There are four different keys that each has their own color. Use the clues below to figure out which key goes in which box and to find the box where Beethoven's wig is being kept.

1. The green key goes to the third or fourth box
2. The wig is to the left of the fourth box
3. The wig is to the right of the first box
4. The yellow key is to the left of the wig
5. The blue key is to the right of the yellow key and to the left of the green key
6. The red key goes to the first box

A man is sitting in a pub feeling rather poor. He sees the man next to him pull a wad of Ā£50 notes out of his wallet.
He turns to the rich man and says to him,
"I have an amazing talent; I know almost every song that has ever existed."
The rich man laughs.
The poor man says, "I am willing to bet you all the money you have in your wallet that I can sing a genuine song with a lady's name of your choice in it."
The rich man laughs again and says, "OK, how about my daughter's name, Joanna Armstrong-Miller?"
The rich man goes home poor. The poor man goes home rich.

What song did he sing?

When you behead a word, you remove the first letter and still have a valid word. You will be given clues for the two words, longer word first.
Example: Begin -> Sour, acidic
Answer: The words are Start and Tart.

1. Outer layer -> Oxidized metal
2. Defraud; violate rules -> Thermal energy in transit
3. Sensation of cold -> Local land elevation
4. Go upward -> Jointed appendage; branch
5. Strong metal rope -> Having necessary skill
6. Confined; restrained -> Old; grew older
7. Stop; discontinue -> Freedom from hardship
8. Lacking dirt -> Lacking fat

One night a princess and a cowboy walked up an abandoned hill the next day three people came back down how is that possible ?

When you behead a word, you remove the first letter and still have a valid word. You will be given clues for the two words, longer word first.
Example: Begin -> Sour, acidic
Answer: The words are Start and Tart.

1. Outer layer -> Oxidized metal
2. Defraud; violate rules -> Thermal energy in transit
3. Sensation of cold -> Local land elevation
4. Go upward -> Jointed appendage; branch
5. Strong metal rope -> Having necessary skill
6. Confined; restrained -> Old; grew older
7. Stop; discontinue -> Freedom from hardship
8. Lacking dirt -> Lacking fat

1. Crust, rust
2. Cheat, heat
3. Chill, hill
4. Climb, limb
5. ??
6. Caged, aged
7. Cease, ease
8. Clean, lean

Handel has been killed and Beethoven is on the case. He has interviewed the four suspects and their statements are shown below. Each suspect has said two sentences. One sentence of each suspect is a lie and one sentence is the truth. Help Beethoven figure out who the killer is.

Joplin: I did not kill Handel. Either Grieg is the killer or none of us is.
Grieg: I did not kill Handel. Gershwin is the killer.
Strauss: I did not kill Handel. Grieg is lying when he says Gershwin is the killer.
Gershwin: I did not kill Handel. If Joplin did not kill him, then Grieg did.

Strauss

Love this thread, Lexie

A man is sitting in a pub feeling rather poor. He sees the man next to him pull a wad of Ā£50 notes out of his wallet.
He turns to the rich man and says to him,
"I have an amazing talent; I know almost every song that has ever existed."
The rich man laughs.
The poor man says, "I am willing to bet you all the money you have in your wallet that I can sing a genuine song with a lady's name of your choice in it."
The rich man laughs again and says, "OK, how about my daughter's name, Joanna Armstrong-Miller?"
The rich man goes home poor. The poor man goes home rich.

What song did he sing?

Happy Birthday

Back