AVG antivirus disaster

NaokoSmith

Honourable Slut
I have been absent a few days, mainly because I had a poorly Piglet on my hands and since I taught the damn kid to read, I haven't been able to safely cruise smut while she's around, grrr. Luckily my tender ministrations ("stop whining,") have cured her sufficiently to go to her dad's for the weekend! :nana: so I can get on with my smut-reading ... I mean my marking :eek:

Another reason I steered clear of going online was that a big disaster happened on my computer and I was worried in case it was a virus. I've been told No, but I want to warn anyone who is using AVG about this.

I downloaded AVG because I wanted a free antivirus thing. I did find it a nuisance as it pops up very often telling you to try other AVG products and buy it and all sorts - sometimes opening a window in the middle of me watching Poldark!!! :eek:

The other day AVG said I must restart my computer so it could do blahblah, so I did. When my computer was back on, there was no audio. When I went to the control panel to try and sort this out, there was no control panel. I could no longer open up my emails in the automatic popup window, only by going onto my internet browser.

I contacted AVG and you can tell how serious the problem is, since even though I have never paid a penny for their malware services, they immediately sent me a code to access a technician. He remotely went through my machine (which took a long time) and he told me some of the Windows files had either been stripped out or corrupted, and this was why my not-yet-a-year-old computer is not working properly. He can't fix it, and nor could a Microsoft remote technician although I have to say, she didn't really seem to know what she was doing. Probably if I paid $99 like they suggested they might have sorted it out for me.

But I had enough of that, I'm going to pay my local computer technician to come round in person and sort it out. This will be a great nuisance as although I don't mind people knowing I cruise smut, there are a few pictures which I probably ought to remove from my personal folders before I let some happily married young man skim through them while he and I are alone in my maisonette :eek:

I looked online and I see it has happened in the past that AVG identify some essential Windows file as a virus and strip it out, leading to all sorts of difficulties. I thought I had better warn anyone on here to treat AVG with extreme caution. I looked on the Microsoft website for a compatible antivirus thing, and they said AVAST is OK so I have got that for the time being. I will ask the computer guy for his advice.

OK! I must go now and catch up on my marking and my cleaning and the lawn, back soon!
:kiss:

AVG and most free malware providers install malware on computers to compel users to pay fees to fix the problems. I learned the hard way, too. I suspect many of the commercial software providers do likewise to keep you subscribing.

I've been using CyberDefender for the past four years and haven't had a single problem. It's free for anti-virus, with an option to pay for anti-spyware (which is pretty cheap at $40 a year USD).

I used to use free avg, but purchased it about 3 years ago and have been very happy with it. Every software has it's problems but it's too bad they were not able to help. Good luck!

I've been using AVG for years with no problem. I recently switched back to the free version after being on the paid version. I would be interested in hearing what the pc guy says the problem is.

Ai ya. I'm using AVG free version right now. Used it for a long time and never had anything like this problem... but this story gives me pause.

Naoko, haven't you ever heard the expression, 'You get what you pay for.

Generally, the free packages give limited protection. Would you skimp on house or car insurance?

After some disasters, I found lavasoft, which has some free anti-malware offers but gives total protection online for 36 bucks.

Their antivirus package, Bitdefender is great, but a bit pricey.

Avast Free is the best thing out there. It's rated even higher than bought and paid for AVG.

I have been absent a few days, mainly because I had a poorly Piglet on my hands and since I taught the damn kid to read, I haven't been able to safely cruise smut while she's around, grrr. Luckily my tender ministrations ("stop whining,") have cured her sufficiently to go to her dad's for the weekend! :nana: so I can get on with my smut-reading ... I mean my marking :eek:

Another reason I steered clear of going online was that a big disaster happened on my computer and I was worried in case it was a virus. I've been told No, but I want to warn anyone who is using AVG about this.

I downloaded AVG because I wanted a free antivirus thing. I did find it a nuisance as it pops up very often telling you to try other AVG products and buy it and all sorts - sometimes opening a window in the middle of me watching Poldark!!! :eek:

The other day AVG said I must restart my computer so it could do blahblah, so I did. When my computer was back on, there was no audio. When I went to the control panel to try and sort this out, there was no control panel. I could no longer open up my emails in the automatic popup window, only by going onto my internet browser.

I contacted AVG and you can tell how serious the problem is, since even though I have never paid a penny for their malware services, they immediately sent me a code to access a technician. He remotely went through my machine (which took a long time) and he told me some of the Windows files had either been stripped out or corrupted, and this was why my not-yet-a-year-old computer is not working properly. He can't fix it, and nor could a Microsoft remote technician although I have to say, she didn't really seem to know what she was doing. Probably if I paid $99 like they suggested they might have sorted it out for me.

But I had enough of that, I'm going to pay my local computer technician to come round in person and sort it out. This will be a great nuisance as although I don't mind people knowing I cruise smut, there are a few pictures which I probably ought to remove from my personal folders before I let some happily married young man skim through them while he and I are alone in my maisonette :eek:

I looked online and I see it has happened in the past that AVG identify some essential Windows file as a virus and strip it out, leading to all sorts of difficulties. I thought I had better warn anyone on here to treat AVG with extreme caution. I looked on the Microsoft website for a compatible antivirus thing, and they said AVAST is OK so I have got that for the time being. I will ask the computer guy for his advice.

OK! I must go now and catch up on my marking and my cleaning and the lawn, back soon!
:kiss:
I had a huge problem with AVG and others. I had two wipe outs to black ( one of which I had to have a technician talk me through unplugging and replugging a chip inside the computer. and one reset to factory defaults before I finally I stumbled upon Malware Bytes, paid a little for it and have had no problems now for a year. When it comes time to renew, I will.

I've been using AVG for years with no problem. I recently switched back to the free version after being on the paid version. I would be interested in hearing what the pc guy says the problem is.

The AVG technician has said some Windows files have either been stripped out or corrupted. I will come back and give detail when the actual computer guy I know and trust (with my computer, if not my pictures!) has reported on it. I'll also be asking him what he thinks is a good antivirus setup and I'll post what he says. I put AVAST on as it's recommended by Microsoft. My computer came with Macafee but everyone says Macafee is slo-o-ow and pants (not in a good way).

Yayyy! I have marked two essays, and done some washing up, and filed some bills in a fruitless search for my other USB, and stroked pussy (aww, the little kitty-cats :cathappy:). I think I can go and rake my lawn and pretend to be Demelza from Poldark for half an hour.
:)

Try and download Malwarebytes Anti-malware 1 month free trial - this is a very good detector and remover of all the latest viruses.

Also, if you type 'run' in your startup menu bar and then MRT in the 'run' box that appears at the top of the menu, this should take you to the Microsoft updated antivirus cleaner that recently got sent out by Microsoft in the 'install updates.' This will get rid of all the current viruses.

There are also numerous really good DIY fix video clips on YouTube. Basically, there shouldn't EVER be any Windows driver segments 'stripped out' because there will be numerous automatic back-up copies of your drivers in your computer - nevertheless, some recent PUP programs do interfere with the drivers and all you have to do is go into the 'Current Programs' folder and delete or 'stop run' every single program that you can't account for and, if you check on-line about one and the available info indicates it may be a troublemaker, GET RID OF IT.

Also, check that your available memory isn't being rapidly eaten away by some malicious software running in the background because you will end up with the dreaded and often terminal 'Blue Screen of Death.' There are solutions for even this though but better do something about it now.

Also, about two weeks ago there was a massive spray of viruses worldwide that Microsoft responded to by sending out the virus cleaner update (again) but they just never told everyone directly that there had been a major problem worldwide.

So, I have been using AVG for...oh I don't know...nine years or so without problems of any kind. I have also used Avast for about that long. Both do the job they are designed to do.

Yet, Avast became a pain in the neck as it would popup and ask if it could do things that weren't in its purvey. It was always yakking at me to do this or that...I just got tired of it and wiped it off my laptop replacing it with AVG. Haven't had a problem with it.

Of course I don't turn on all the bells and whistles. I just use it as a virus checker. For malware I have malwarebytes. I also have a firewall program, so I don't need the firewall from AVG.

eMails? I don't download any to my machine...they stay in the cloud.

Web Browsing? I have other software for that.

Identity protection? I also have an app for that.

So that leaves Virus'. AVG is great at keep virus' off my machine.

Also, about two weeks ago there was a massive spray of viruses worldwide that Microsoft responded to by sending out the virus cleaner update (again) but they just never told everyone directly that there had been a major problem worldwide.

Yeah the update fucked up my laptop, I had to do a restore prior to that one. It thought my machine was Win7 when it is actually it's Vista. That's the second time Microsoft has sent out fucked up update.

Thanks guys for all the tips.
:rose:

I think I will just have to wait for the computer guy, though. Even when I try to restore the laptop, and get it to reset to factory settings, it goes round and round saying it's 'preparing' for a suspiciously long time. I've spent too long on this already so I am going to get on with other stuff and hand it over to a professional person whom I can look in the face (as long as he hasn't seen my photos! :eek:)

Oh that's a massive pain in the arse! I keep backups religiously these days, cloud for anything non sensitive and physical for stuff I wouldn't want hacked.

Of course, I'm sure your average IT tech wouldn't dream of snooping at your stuff, right?

Right?

No, you're absolutely right. He probably will.

Of course, I'm sure your average IT tech wouldn't dream of snooping at your stuff, right?

Right?

No, you're absolutely right. He probably will.

LOL, I don't think he would want to look, but when you're going through someone's computer to sort it out, you might stumble on things you regretted seeing. I mean, pix of a 52 yo ex-rugby player with mommy fat, it's probably those that blew out my Windows, they would shatter anyone's illusions as well as glass :eek:
:cool:
:D

LOL, I don't think he would want to look, but when you're going through someone's computer to sort it out, you might stumble on things you regretted seeing. I mean, pix of a 52 yo ex-rugby player with mommy fat, it's probably those that blew out my Windows, they would shatter anyone's illusions as well as glass :eek:
:cool:
:D

I assume your laptop thingy has a working writeable CD/DVD drive?. I suggest you back up the pictures to it and elete the originals on your hard drive.
Avast ain't bad. I use AVG free and I don't think I've had much by way of a problem (so far, fingers crossed). IU did get a real problem with the new version of Firefox, though (long since fixed).

I comment to your consideration taking a fairly frequent "Restore" point; AFTER you have cleaned out the cr@p with CC and de-fragged the drive. Then, if something goes wrong, you can simply boot to an earlier date.

I assume your laptop thingy has a working writeable CD/DVD drive?. I suggest you back up the pictures to it and elete the originals on your hard drive.
Avast ain't bad. I use AVG free and I don't think I've had much by way of a problem (so far, fingers crossed). IU did get a real problem with the new version of Firefox, though (long since fixed).

I comment to your consideration taking a fairly frequent "Restore" point; AFTER you have cleaned out the cr@p with CC and de-fragged the drive. Then, if something goes wrong, you can simply boot to an earlier date.

Oh dahlink! do you think you could say that again, slowly, in your deepest manliest voice?
*swoon*
:rose::)

It was the same thing with my broken cistern. Someone said something to me about two screws and some levers and I just had to lie down for a minute! (Although I can tell you, any plumber who thinks he will get two screws after fixing my cistern is in for a nasty surprise. It seems to be all plastic tie-things, not a screw in sight ;) )

Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode and doing a restore to a point a day or two before AVG wiped the files?

It sounds as if you actually did catch a virus that infected those windows files. There are virus' that do that.

So, doing a restore to a point before the files were quarantined might get you where you want to be.

Every time Windows updates it creates a restore point. There were several over the last couple of weeks for Win7.

Also, go to the 'open in safe mode' screen (if you can) and after trying system restore (go to the Command Line instruction at the bottom of the list it gives you) go to the Notepad - which will always be available no matter what. To get to Notepad, there are lots of very good instructions on YouTube about how to get to Notepad and how to recover files after the Blue Screen of Death (BSD). As long as you can get into the 'open safe mode' screen you can get to the Notepad.

Once you're in Notepad, open 'all files' for you as the 'user' (should be very easy) and take out all the files you want removed onto a USB or onto another computer through a cable link via the USB slots which will all work.

And then delete the files from the infected computer.

It actually sounds like you did have a virus problem on this computer.

It could be as simple as one of the Pop-Up Programs (PUP's) causing a problem, or an associated Trojan that went awry.

Avast Free is the best thing out there. It's rated even higher than bought and paid for AVG.

When I picked up the current laptop, I called my ex (who is a hardware and software genius and currently keeps an entire state prison system's computers operating correctly) and asked whether I should just keep AVG on it or go back to Avast.

In typical Geeky Nerd fashion he answered totally bluntly: Trash AVG and buy the lowest tier upgrade of Avast. The only thing better is a pirated DOD anti-virus program...but just barely.

Trash AVG and buy the lowest tier upgrade of Avast. The only thing better is a pirated DOD anti-virus program...but just barely.

:( Anyway, I know now!

Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode and doing a restore to a point a day or two before AVG wiped the files?

Also, go to the 'open in safe mode' screen (if you can) and after trying system restore (go to the Command Line instruction at the bottom of the list it gives you) go to the Notepad - which will always be available no matter what.

It actually sounds like you did have a virus problem on this computer.

I have tried lots of things. When I go to restore and even resetting the computer, it turns over so slowly, telling me it's 'preparing' that I can't believe it's working properly. I have done that thing where you open up the window and write 'scannow'. It just sits there.

The thing is, that this all happened right after AVG had told me to reboot my computer so it could sort itself out. I figure they know they are at fault because they offered me the free technical help immediately even though I'm not a paying customer. Their technician said there's no virus on my machine and I have scanned it with other antivirus software. There are just these weird problems.

Latest one being, if I try to Open a word document while in word, or do 'Save as', it takes a minute or two. That doesn't seem like a long time unless you're used to this taking half a second!
:(:mad:

Still, should be able to get hold of the technical guy and have him come and check my pictures ... :eek: I mean his hardon ... uh, my hard drive today! :)

Back