Literotica Cemetary

I hope the MODs don't mistake this as a thread for necrophiliacs and move it to the personals ...lol
 
Haha LMAO!

Actually, I'm not. :( I'm bummed over losing Ritter.

I just want to link the threads from others so people can find them and pay their respects.
 
White. Zevon. Cash. Palmer.

That's going to be one hell of a party the Grim Reaper's throwing!
 
'Whitey' from 'Leave It to Beaver' Dies!

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Former child actor Stanley Fafara, who played Beaver's pal Whitey on the idyllic family sitcom "Leave It to Beaver" but descended into a real-life adulthood of drugs, alcohol and petty crime, has died at age 53, friends said on Friday.



Fafara died in a Portland, Oregon, hospital on Saturday, Sept. 20, of complications from surgery he underwent last month to repair a constricted intestine caused by a hernia, according to Tom Hallman Jr., a reporter for the Portland Oregonian who knew him.


Hallman, who had kept in touch with Fafara since writing a profile of him in December 2002, said the former actor already was weakened by a hepatitis C infection contracted years ago from intravenous drug use. Hallman said friends of Fafara told him the former actor ultimately was removed from life support after slipping into a coma.


His death capped a tragic adult epilogue to the boyhood celebrity Fafara enjoyed as a young actor portraying "Whitey" Whitney, the tow-headed pal of the title character played by Jerry Mathers (news) on "Leave It to Beaver."


The show, set in the fictional suburban town of Mayfield, aired on CBS and ABC from 1957 to 1963.


Fafara, who grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs of Studio City and was pushed into acting by his mother, landed the part as Whitey after doing a number of commercials. He also had appeared in an episode of "The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin."


In a recent online interview, Fafara said it was Whitey who uttered the first line spoken on the show, asking Mathers' character, "What did she do to you, Beaver?" as the Beav emerged from his teacher's classroom with a note to bring home to his parents.


But the innocent, sheltered suburbia depicted on "Leave It to Beaver" was a far cry from the lifestyle Fafara assumed after the series ended its run.


By his own account, he began drinking and doing drugs as a teenager and briefly lived in a house with members of the rock band Paul Revere and the Raiders. Sent off to live with his sister in Jamaica, he returned to Los Angeles at age 22 and started dealing drugs.


By the early 1980s, he was breaking into pharmacies and was eventually sentenced to a year in jail for burglary. After his release, he worked a number of odd jobs and resumed drug dealing to support his habit.


In and out of jail and rehab, he moved to Portland in the early 1990s hoping to get off drugs. But he ended up as a junkie living in a rented motel room, then the streets, before finally checking himself into a detox center in August 1995.


Clean and sober since then, he moved into a halfway house for recovering addicts and alcoholics, then into a subsidized apartment on the edge of Skid Row, where he scraped by on Social Security (news - web sites) checks until being hospitalized, Hallman said.


Near the end of his life Fafara took some acting classes, but his aspirations to return to show business never gelled.
 
Tony-Winning Playwright Herb Gardner Dies

Tony-Winning Playwright Herb Gardner Dies


NEW YORK - Herb Gardner, author of such hit Broadway comedies as "A Thousand Clowns" and the Tony-winning "I'm Not Rappaport," has died. He was 68.



The playwright died of lung disease Wednesday at home, said his wife, Barbara Sproul.


Gardner had his first Broadway success in 1962 with "A Thousand Clowns," which starred Jason Robards (news) and Sandy Dennis. It told the story of a nonconformist television writer who battled adoption authorities over custody of his young nephew. "Clowns" was later made into a movie starring Robards and Barbara Harris.


"I'm Not Rappaport" starred Judd Hirsch and Cleavon Little as two elderly men who met daily in Central Park. It was Gardner's biggest commercial success and won the best-play Tony Award in 1986.


Among his other Broadway plays were "The Goodbye People" (1968), "Thieves" (1974) and "Conversations with My Father" (1992).


Gardner also produced and wrote the screenplay and the 1971 Dustin Hoffman (news) film, "Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying All Those Terrible Things About Me?"


Both "A Thousand Clowns" and "I'm Not Rappaport" had unsuccessful revivals on Broadway in recent years: "Clowns," starring Tom Selleck (news), in 2001 and "I'm Not Rappaport," with Hirsch and Ben Vereen (news), last year.


Born in Brooklyn, Gardner attended the Carnegie Institute of Technology and Antioch College. He also drew the comic strip "The Nebbishes" in the late 1950s.
 
Palestinian intellectual Edward Said dies

NEW YORK (AFP) - Renowned Palestinian intellectual Edward Said died in New York following a long struggle with cancer, Columbia University, where he taught, announced.





Said, who was born in 1935 in Jerusalem, wrote several books about the Middle East conflict. He joined Columbia in the 1960s and taught English and comparative literature there.
 
'Paper Lion' Author George Plimpton Dies

'Paper Lion' Author George Plimpton Dies
1 hour, 45 minutes ago

By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer

NEW YORK - George Plimpton, the gentleman editor, literary patron and "participatory journalist" whose fumbling exploits included boxing, trapeze-flying and, most famously, quarterbacking for the Detroit Lions, has died at 76.



Plimpton died Thursday night at his New York apartment, his longtime friend restaurateur Elaine Kaufman said Friday. She had no information on the cause.


"Friends were almost always happy to see him because you knew he was bound to improve your mood," author Norman Mailer said Friday. "What fine manners he had! Few could give a toast or tell a story with equal humor."


Praised as a "central figure in American letters" when inducted in 2002 into the American Academy of Arts and Letters, Plimpton was beloved among writers for The Paris Review, the literary quarterly he helped found in 1953 and ran with boyish enthusiasm for 50 years.


The magazine's high reputation rested on two traditions: publishing the work of emerging authors, including Philip Roth and Jack Kerouac, and an unparalleled series of interviews in which Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner and others discussed their craft.


Plimpton also enjoyed a lifetime of making literature out of nonliterary pursuits. He boxed with Archie Moore, pitched to Willie Mays and performed as a trapeze artist for the Clyde Beatty-Cole Brothers Circus. In his book "Paper Lion," he documented his punishing stint training with the NFL's Detroit Lions in 1963.


He acted in numerous movies, including "Reds" and "Good Will Hunting." He even supplied his voice for an episode of "The Simpsons (news - Y! TV)," playing a professor who runs a spelling bee.


A native of New York, Plimpton was born into society — diplomat's son — and was a Harvard man with an upper-class accent.


But the public knew him better as an amiable underdog, towered over by the giants of sports and other professions. Much of his career served as a send-up of Hemingway's famous credo, "Grace under pressure."


Starting in the 1950s, when he began his vocation as a "participatory" journalist, he practiced the singular art of narrating panic. In a culture where millions fantasized about being movie stars or sports heroes, the lanky, wavy-haired Plimpton dared to enter the arena himself, with results both comic and instructive.


During his stint with the Lions, he was allowed briefly to play quarterback during a scrimmage. He remembered the crowd cheering as he left the field after a series of mishaps.


"It verified the assumption that the average fan would have about an amateur blundering into the brutal world of professional football," he wrote. "The outsider did not belong, and there was comfort in that being proved."


Just days before his death, Plimpton reunited with 40 Lions to mark the book's 40th anniversary. "We had a good time last weekend. I got to roast him a bit. I told him how he was a light in my life," said former Lions star Roger Brown.


Plimpton's other books included "Bogey Man" and "Out of My League." He could also take credit for at least one memorable fictional character: Sidd Finch, a baseball pitcher of unprecedented gifts (168 mph fastball) and unlikely background (reared in the mountains of Tibet). Finch was portrayed so vividly by Plimpton in a 1985 Sports Illustrated article that many believed the man really existed.


The Paris Review remained more respected than read. The subscription base was rarely higher than a few thousand and the bank account seemed to descend at will. At one point in 2001, Plimpton reported, funds dropped to $1.16.


A 50th anniversary celebration had been scheduled for Oct. 14 in New York, with Mailer and Kurt Vonnegut among the guests. A spokeswoman for The Paris Review said no decision had been made on whether the event would take place.


"Like probably a hundred other writers, he started my career. I always felt the greatest debt of gratitude," said Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Jeffrey Eugenides, who recalled that The Paris Review ran excerpts of his first book, "The Virgin Suicides."





Over the summer, Plimpton decided to write his memoirs, signing a $750,000 deal with Little, Brown and Co. "I have a lot of life left to go, but now is the time to think about it and put something together," Plimpton told The Associated Press at the time.

Plimpton seemed to know everybody: writers, actors, athletes. He had deep connections to the political world, dating back to childhood, when Adlai Stevenson — the two-time presidential nominee — was a family friend and Jacqueline Kennedy a debutante he would see at dances.

Plimpton maintained a light touch in his work, but he knew tragedy firsthand. He was a volunteer with Robert Kennedy's 1968 presidential campaign and was walking in front of him as the candidate was assassinated in the kitchen of a Los Angeles hotel.

"I had my hands around his neck," he recalled in a 2002 interview with The Associated Press, referring to gunman Sirhan Sirhan, whom he helped wrestle to the ground. Plimpton turned his head away as he spoke, his clear voice turned foggy.

"Bad stuff."

He sailed with John F. Kennedy, played tennis with former President Bush (news - web sites) and rode on Air Force One with President Clinton (news - web sites). He witnessed a baffling encounter between Richard Nixon and Casey Stengel, when the president wanted to talk baseball and the former baseball manager wanted to discuss banking.

Sports was the common bond between Plimpton and politicians. He knew the current President Bush from his days as owner of the Texas Rangers and chatted with him shortly after Election Day 2000, when the outcome was still in doubt.

"He wanted to talk about Sidd Finch," Plimpton recalled. "I thought that was rather odd."

Plimpton was married twice: to Freddy Medora Espy, whom he divorced in 1988, and to Sara Whitehead Dudley. He had four children.

___

Associated Press writer Ula Ilnytzky contributed to this report
 
It's like they go in twos now…Plimpton and Palmer, Ritter and Cash.

BTW thank you Moi. It's a shame about Plimpton. I just saw him this Summer at the 50th Anniversary of The Paris Review at SummerStage.
 
lest we not forget spelling buddy...who who died prematurely, and in a quite grizzly fashion on January 3rd of this year.

SB as his friends called him, was a warm hearted ...once patient man, who was always quick with a letter for that wayward speller.

It wasn't until he met "Sunstruck" that his journey down the trail of dispair began. His frustrations fueled with alcohol and subsciption drugs, combined with Sunstrucks incessant mispellings only drew this once patient loving educator further down the path to his inevitable demise.

Spelling Buddy was found hanging from the rafters in the Hyannisport public library on January 3rd.

A note was found pinned to his lapel that read...."Learn to spell you fucking hacks!"

We will miss you SB.

:rose:
 
Entertainer Donald O'Connor Dies at 78

Entertainer Donald O'Connor Dies at 78

By JEREMIAH MARQUEZ, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Entertainer Donald O'Connor (news), who combined comedy and acrobatics in the show-stopping "Make 'Em Laugh" number in the classic movie "Singin' in the Rain," died Saturday, his daughter said. He was 78.



O'Connor, who had been in declining health in recent years, died of heart failure at a retirement home in Calabasas, his daughter, Alicia O'Connor, told The Associated Press.


In a brief statement, the family said that among O'Connor's last words was the following quip: "I'd like to thank the Academy for my lifetime achievement award that I will eventually get."


O'Connor won an Emmy, but never an Oscar. He was best known for films he made in the 1950s — a series of highly successful "Francis the Talking Mule" comedies and movie musicals that put his song and dance talents to good use.


Songs in movie musicals are often touching or exciting, but O'Connor performed a rare feat with a number that were laugh-out-loud funny.


The best, 1952's "Singin' in the Rain," also starred Gene Kelly (news) and Debbie Reynolds (news) and took a satirical look at Hollywood during the transition from silent to sound pictures.


As he sings "Make 'Em Laugh," O'Connor dances with a prop dummy and performs all manner of amusing acrobatics.


"Someone handed me a dummy that was on the stage," he recalled in a 1995 Associated Press interview. "That was the only prop I used. I did a pratfall and we wrote that down. Every time I did something that got a laugh, we wrote it down to keep in the number."


The American Film Institute (news - web sites)'s list of the top 100 American movies ever made ranked "Singin' in the Rain" at No. 10.


Among O'Connor's other '50s musicals were "Call Me Madam," "Anything Goes" and "There's No Business Like Show Business."


He said it was a fluke that he landed in so many musicals, noting he started out as a "straight" actor. He also said his song-and-dance image came with a downside.


"Back then, when you were typecast that way, it was very difficult to get dramatic parts," he recalled. "Look at Fred Astaire (news), who was a darn good actor."


The "Francis" comedies, which featured a bumbling O'Connor and a talking mule, began in 1949. A few years later, the man who directed them created the "Mr. Ed" TV series.


O'Connor quit the "Francis" series in 1955, saying, "When you've made six pictures and the mule still gets more fan mail than you do ...."


O'Connor also had some success in television. He won an Emmy for "The Colgate Comedy Hour" in 1954 and appeared in "The Donald O'Connor Texaco Show" from 1954 to 1955.


Born in Chicago to circus performers who went into vaudeville, O'Connor joined his family's act when he was an infant. He made his film debut at age 11 in a dancing scene with two of his brothers in "Melody for Two."


As a contract actor for Paramount, he played adolescent roles in several films, including Huckleberry Finn in "Tom Sawyer — Detective" (1938). He was Bing Crosby (news)'s kid brother in "Sing You Sinners" (1938), which he later ranked among his favorite roles.





When he grew too big for child roles, he briefly returned to vaudeville, but was soon back in Hollywood playing high-energy juvenile leads opposite such actresses as Gloria Jean and Susanna Foster.

In recent years, he continued working when he found a project he liked, such as appearing in an episode of "Tales From the Crypt."

But he said he had little desire to leave home for long stretches. He and his wife had moved to Arizona after their California home was damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake (news - web sites).

"Revivals are so popular now. But doing one would mean being out in cold, cold New York for a year, a year and a half," he said. "I'd rather do something where I go in and work a week, maybe three days. Get it done and come back home."
 
Director-writer Elia Kazan dies at 94

Two-time Academy Award winner
directed Brando in ‘On the Waterfront’



ASSOCIATED PRESS



NEW YORK, Sept. 28 — Director Elia Kazan, the hard-driving immigrant’s son whose triumphs included the original Broadway productions of “Death of a Salesman” and “A Streetcar Named Desire,” and the Academy Award-winning film “On the Waterfront,” died Sunday. He was 94.
 
Althea Gibson, First Black Tennis Star, Dies at 76

By Larry Fine

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Trailblazer Althea Gibson, the first black tennis player to win the Wimbledon (news - web sites) and U.S. national championships, died on Sunday of respiratory failure. She was 76.



Gibson, who dominated women's tennis in the late 1950s and is a member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, had been seriously ill for some years. She entered East Orange General Hospital, New Jersey, two days ago, said Fran Clayton Gray, her friend and co-founder of The Althea Gibson Foundation.


Gibson, born to sharecroppers on a cotton farm in South Carolina and raised in Harlem, became the first American black to play in the U.S. championships in 1950 after posting a string of titles in the all-black American Tennis Association.


She broke the racial barrier at Wimbledon in 1951. Five years later, the tall, powerful right-hander became the first black woman to win a major tennis crown by taking the French championships title.


That triumph set the stage for a brilliant two-year run.


In 1957, Gibson became the first black to win the Wimbledon women's singles title and she repeated the feat by claiming the U.S. national crown at Forest Hills.


"Her contribution to the civil rights movement was done with her tennis racket," said Gray, who will continue to run the foundation dedicated to the development of urban youth.


Her triumphs made her a national heroine. After her victory at Wimbledon, she was given a ticker-tape parade in New York.


Gibson dominated the next season as well, again sweeping Wimbledon and the U.S. championship titles in 1958. She retired from the amateur ranks in tennis after the 1958 season. In all, she won 11 major tennis titles in singles and doubles.


There was no professional women's tennis circuit at the time, so Gibson parlayed her great amateur success into a lucrative series of exhibition tennis matches, preceding Harlem Globetrotters basketball games.


She then turned her athletic skills to golf and in 1964 became the first black to join the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) tour. She failed to win at golf, though, and quit the tour in 1971.


Gibson went on to become New Jersey state commissioner of athletics in 1975, a position she held for a decade.


Gray said Gibson suffered a heart attack a few months ago and had been bedridden since. "She was tired and weary. She was ready to throw in the towel," said Gray, who knew Gibson for more than 30 years.


Gibson's legacy as a pioneering black woman in sports was appreciated recently by Venus Williams (news - web sites), who along with her sister, Serena, became the first black women to triumph at Wimbledon and the U.S. championships since Gibson's day.


"I knew she was watching when Serena won the U.S. Open (news - web sites) and she's happy to see another black woman win in her lifetime," Venus said after winning the 2000 U.S. Open, one year after her sister had followed Gibson's example by winning the 1999 Open.
 
British Artist Matthew Jay Dies at 24

By Lars Brandle

LONDON (Billboard) - Rising British singer/songwriter Matthew Jay died Sept. 24 after falling from a seventh-story window in Nottingham, England, his label EMI said Tuesday. He was 24.



"His act would appear to have been an impulsive gesture following a professionally difficult year and perhaps, a difficult day," said a statement. It is understood that he was alone at the time and no note was left.


Jay's debut album, "Draw," was a critical success following its April 2001 release through EMI imprint Food. He went on to support such acts as Dido, Doves, Starsailor and Stereophonics.


"Everyone here who knew Matthew will remember him as such a lovely guy, and a very talented artist," EMI said in a statement. "We are deeply shocked and send our sympathy to his family and friends." Jay was said to be working on new material at the time of his death.
 
'Shrek' author dead at 95

Saturday, October 4, 2003 Posted: 2:38 AM EDT (0638 GMT)





BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- William Steig, a prolific illustrator for The New Yorker known as the "King of Cartoons" for his award-winning, best-selling children's books including "Shrek," has died. He was 95.

Steig died of natural causes of Friday night at his home in the Back Bay section of Boston, said his agent, Holly McGhee.

Steig combined a child's innocent eye with idiosyncratic line to create a wonderful world of animal characters for his books and Edwardian-era dandies in his drawings.

His 1990 book about a green monster, "Shrek!," was made into the hit film that in 2002 became the first winner of an Oscar in the new category of best animated feature.

In a 1997 Boston Globe interview, he said he had helped the filmmakers on the script. "I gave them some ideas, because the book takes 10 minutes to read, and the movie's going to be 70 minutes," he said. "I wrote out a bunch of suggestions; thinking of ideas for a movie is fun."

He sold his first cartoon to New Yorker editor Harold Ross in 1930 and was hired as a staff cartoonist. The magazine was still publishing his work more than 70 years later.

He had produced more than 1,600 drawings as well as 117 covers for the magazine. A prolific author, he also wrote more than 30 children's books, inducing Newsweek to dub him the "King of Cartoons."

His cartoon style evolved from the straightforward worldly children he called "Small Fry" in the 1930s to the expressionist drawings of his later years that illuminated a word or phrase.

In the latter, clowns and princes and lovers came to life from Steig's imagination. It was a pastoral place "where you hear plenty of laughter and only an occasional shriek of pain," Lillian Ross once wrote.

He told the Globe he loved Rembrandt and Picasso and was "nuts about van Gogh." And he said his own drawings have a light, feathery line "because I'm having fun."

Steig did not begin writing children's books until he was 60. His third effort, "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble," was rewarded with the prestigious Caldecott Medal in 1970.

Other notable children's books included "Roland, the Minstrel Pig," "Amos and Boris," "Dominic," "Abel's Island," "The Amazing Bone," "Caleb and Kate," "Doctor De Soto" and "Wizzil."

"I carry on a lot of the functions of an adult but I have to force myself," Steig said in a 1984 interview with People. "For some reason I've never felt grown up."

Steig was born November 14, 1907, in New York, the son of a house painter and a seamstress. He began cartooning for his high school newspaper, attended City College and the National Academy of Design.

"When I was an adolescent, Tahiti was a paradise. I made up my mind to settle there someday. I was going to be a seaman like Melville, but the Great Depression put me to work as a cartoonist to support the family," he said.

In the '30s he became fascinated with Freud and psychoanalysis, and his 1942 book "The Lonely Ones" was hailed for its symbolic drawings of human neuroses. It stayed in print for 25 years.

For many years he lived in a sprawling country house in Kent, Connecticut, where he took inspiration from the countryside.

"I find it hard ... to do a job on order, even if the order comes from myself," he once said. "I go to my desk without any plans or ideas and wait there for inspiration. Which comes if you get in the right frame of mind."

Steig, who was married four times, was survived by his wife, Jeanne, two daughters and a son.
 
Back
Top