Con artist tariffs threaten U.S. jobs & Republicans

someoneyouknow

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Posts
28,274
“If he doesn’t understand what he’s doing to the nation by doing what he’s doing, he’s going to be a one-term president, plain and simple."

“They’re not in touch with the reality of the Midwest and the impact that the tariffs would have."

Thus spoke farmer Robert Runck and Bart Bergquist, a biology professor and part-time farmer about the tariffs the con artist either has or is planning to implement on China and other countries. As a result of those actions, those same countries are raising tariffs on farm goods from the U.S., thus leading to the comments above.

“I know my neighbors are not rolling in money — they’re trying to supplement whatever else they can do to keep going," Mr. Bergquist said.

The Chinese government has also threatened a 25% tariff on soybeans, a much more significant crop for US farmers. China was the largest buyer of US soybeans last year, gobbling up $12.3 billion worth of imports.

“For the United States soybean grower, China is the 800-pound gorilla in the room,” Mr. Henry said. He suggested that Beijing is exacting political payback against the Republican heartland: “China knows who got Trump elected.”

Even better, China recently enacted a 179% import charge (a tariff by another name) on sorghum. China is the largest buyer of American sorghum products. Its imports of the crop were worth about $960 million last year, according to Chinese customs data.

"Sorghum is a good target for a trade dispute since it would have a major financial impact on the US," Loren Puette, director at ChinaAg, an agricultural research firm, told CNN at the time.

Squeezing the sorghum trade could also hurt America's rural economy -- particularly in states like Kansas -- where President Donald Trump has a lot of support.

The more the con artist flails about thinking the U.S. doesn't need anyone to trade with, the more this country will become like his businesses. Failed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/us/politics/trump-tariffs-china-soybeans-midterms.html

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/17/news/economy/china-us-sorghum-antidumping/index.html
 
20 ships carrying more than 1.2 million tons of U.S. sorghum are currently at sea, with at least five of them announcing new courses after China's government announced a new tariff on sorghum Tuesday morning.

The grain on board the 20 ships is valued at more than $216 million, but China is now forcing grains handlers to pay a 178.6 percent tariff of the value of the shipments as a deposit upon arriving.
. . . .

Tom Sleight, president of the U.S. Grain Council, reacted to China's most recent tariff by calling for an end to the Trump administration's escalating tough talk aimed at China's trade policies.

“This tit for tat has to stop, and talks to find reasonable and lasting solutions must begin, for the good of U.S. agriculture and the customers we have spent decades working to win as loyal buyers,” he said.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/384126-report-ships-carrying-sorghum-from-us-turn-around-after-china-imposes-tariffs
 
Back
Top