Altered Carbon (OOC)

The Jeffinator

Super Saiyan Blue
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Posts
8,365
Similar to the books and the Netflix series, this would entail a cyberpunk world where human consciousness is stored on a device called a cortical stack, and physical bodies are known as sleeves. Stacks are installed into sleeves where the spine meets the skull, thus allowing people to live multiple lifetimes. When one sleeve is damaged beyond repair, just have your stack installed into a new one. If you're rich enough, you can even grow clones of your original body and have your stack's data backed up to a satellite to make you essentially immortal.

While this world would be very similar to the one depicted in the show, it would be considered it's own continuity that we would shape as we go. I'm open to ideas for the best way to craft this and what other potential writers may be interested in.

The main idea that comes to mind is to have our characters be an assembled team of various pirates, slavers, smugglers, and mercenaries that have had our original sleeves killed and our stacks were placed in cold storage by the authorities for reconditioning. Years later, a powerful and wealthy corporate mogul -- Cornelius Ligerdine -- has managed to acquire our stacks, and resleeves us in state-of-the-art military-grade synthetic bodies. They look and feel human, but the bones are stronger than steel, the muscle tissue is extremely durable, and the skin can shift pigmentation to virtually any color, including completely absorbing and dispersing photons to prevent them from being reflected back, thus rendering one invisible or casting illusions.

Our eyes are implanted with virtual holographic displays within our field of vision that one one else can see, allowing observations of visual and audio data and an artificial psychic link between teammates on a mission. This link does not allow them to read thoughts or memories, but rather to simulate voice chat in a private, virtual environment within their minds. The brains in their new sleeves have been designed to facilitate these capabilities, as well as total recall of all memories stored while in that sleeve. Other parts of the brain have been equipped with heightened senses and combat instincts, which when paired with the rest of the body create an enhanced reaction time, greatly improving agility, reflexes, and problem solving skills.

Ligerdine explains that he chose us to inhabit these new bodies because of our particular talents in criminal activities, and also because he believes we will have the best motive to assist him, given that his primary rival is the same man that sold us out and got our old sleeves killed -- Aldan Mandercroft.

This is just one idea, and I am open to others.
 
Back
Top