The Official Authors' Hangout April Fool's 2018 Support Thread

Neither list means anything. They have both been manipulated and gamed for the last six or seven years. How about an author who hasn't posted a story in six years but is still in the top ten. He stays exactly 40-50 favorites above the guy below him who posts regularly.

The top 250 favorite stories used to be a mix of stories across the board. Now it is a list of incest stories. Totally meaningless.

I went and looked earlier today when this came up, and I have to agree with TxRad here. The most favored stories seem, by default, to also be the ones who happen to reside in the most populated category. The ones I checked which were not I/T did appear to be longer stories (5 to 25 screens). Sci Fi had some longer entries which seems more typical of the category. A couple of exceptions were two Gay Male stories at 1 screen each. (I'm wondering if this tells more about the intended use of the story than the literary appreciation though :rolleyes: )

I went and looked earlier today when this came up, and I have to agree with TxRad here. The most favored stories seem, by default, to also be the ones who happen to reside in the most populated category. The ones I checked which were not I/T did appear to be longer stories (5 to 25 screens). Sci Fi had some longer entries which seems more typical of the category. A couple of exceptions were two Gay Male stories at 1 screen each. (I'm wondering if this tells more about the intended use of the story than the literary appreciation though :rolleyes: )

I don't need to accuse anyone of gaming the list to understand why the most favorited stories come from I/T. It's the second-largest category, and it's readership is far more involved then they are in EC, which is the largest category.

What I saw in spot-checking a few is that most are short strokers, and an oddly large proportion of them had the same "Mommy sits on son's lap" theme.

At any rate, I'm not going to use the 'Most Favorites' list to guide what I write.

I don't need to accuse anyone of gaming the list to understand why the most favorited stories come from I/T. It's the second-largest category, and it's readership is far more involved then they are in EC, which is the largest category.

What I saw in spot-checking a few is that most are short strokers, and an oddly large proportion of them had the same "Mommy sits on son's lap" theme.

At any rate, I'm not going to use the 'Most Favorites' list to guide what I write.

Ditto me. This conversation is all good info though, because everyone's input generally points back to just writing what you write. Awhile back there was some discussion in regard to jumping into the I/T world to be visible to a larger audience. But, as I pondered this it became clear that it wouldn't really further what I do here. I know it'll sound corny to some, but I tend to write stories that hopefully will uplift a narrow audience...to offer an image of love and acceptance...even if it is just a momentary fantasy.

Ditto me. This conversation is all good info though, because everyone's input generally points back to just writing what you write. Awhile back there was some discussion in regard to jumping into the I/T world to be visible to a larger audience. But, as I pondered this it became clear that it wouldn't really further what I do here. I know it'll sound corny to some, but I tend to write stories that hopefully will uplift a narrow audience...to offer an image of love and acceptance...even if it is just a momentary fantasy.

I pride myself on my little collection of comments, from different people on different stories, along the lines of, "a nice change from the norm around here," "refreshingly different," "outside the norm..."

To think that I wrote material like the great bell curve of "typical" Lit content would depress the hell out of me, frankly. Not something I aspire to. I'm content to be on the fringe.

I pride myself on my little collection of comments, from different people on different stories, along the lines of, "a nice change from the norm around here," "refreshingly different," "outside the norm..."

To think that I wrote material like the great bell curve of "typical" Lit content would depress the hell out of me, frankly. Not something I aspire to. I'm content to be on the fringe.

No danger of you ever being described as 'typical'. Painter with words.

Me, I'm just happy whenever a commenter invests enough to leave a comment about the characters. If they care enough to do that, I've done what I wanted to do; taken them on some kind of journey. Even if they hated that journey, at least they were sufficiently compelled to come along.

I just finished the first of two stories I have planned for this. I hope I can set aside the time to proofread it carefully before the 1st of March...right now I'm at the stage where, whew, it's out of my system and I'm done! When, you know, I'm not really. Not if I want to make sure there are no big mistakes and that it flows the way I want it to. Not to mention finishing the other one.

Is there anything you'd call after having pranked someone, to clarify it's because of April Fools (perhaps it is as easy as "April Fools!!")?
We, for example, would do something like this

- Hey, there is a spider in your hair
- :eek:
- First of April!

From Wikipedia:

* poisson d’avril (April fool, literally "Fish of April")
* "Fooles holy day" (first UK mention)
* "Op 1 april verloor Alva zijn bril." is a Dutch proverb, which can be translated to: "On the first of April, Alva lost his glasses."

So, you could shout, "HAPPY ALVA-LOST-HIS-GLASSES DAY!"

Or, if it's set in Scotland in the 18th century, "Happy Huntigowk Day!"

There are more. But I quite like the April Fish one, where you attempt to attach a paper fish to someone's back without being noticed.

Is there anything you'd call after having pranked someone, to clarify it's because of April Fools (perhaps it is as easy as "April Fools!!")?
We, for example, would do something like this

- Hey, there is a spider in your hair
- :eek:
- First of April!

Finns say "Aprillia, syö silliä, juo munavettä päälle!" It literally means: "April fools, eat herring and drink egg water on top of it all!" or "flush it down with egg water!" It's to mock how gullible the other person is, probably to the point where you could feed them raw herring and egg yolk.

Last edited:
Just say “April Fools!”

I’m having the hardest time getting this one going. I’ve got images of the whole thing sort of chasing through my head, but every time I sit down and start thinking about how to get things organized, I get distracted by the Olympics.

Fuckin’ womens’ curling...

I have a story developing but I'm afraid it's not April's foolsy enough. It's set on April fool's day but it's abiut this rich girl's birthday who kind of uses the occassion to boss her poor cousin around since she didn't get her a birthday present (although she specifically told her not to get her one with this very thing in mind).

Someone tell me that sounds fine?

I have a story developing but I'm afraid it's not April's foolsy enough. It's set on April fool's day but it's abiut this rich girl's birthday who kind of uses the occassion to boss her poor cousin around since she didn't get her a birthday present (although she specifically told her not to get her one with this very thing in mind).

Someone tell me that sounds fine?

“It’s set on April fool’s day...”

Good enough!

“It’s set on April fool’s day...”

Good enough!

I've got that one covered for my story. I'm going to add a few pranks and tricks, and some other references, and I think that will do it.

I don't think there's a very rigorous test for acceptance, and I doubt readers will downvote someone for not following the criteria as long as the author does something.

I've never entered a Literotica competition before but I'm just adding the finishing touches to a story for this one. My editor is very busy just now, i'm not sure if he is going to have time to edit it for me, so I guess I'm going to need to find another one.

So I wondered, does submitting a story very close to the close of play have any negative effects? I'm hoping not to but I might end up doing that.

thanks in advance

I've never entered a Literotica competition before but I'm just adding the finishing touches to a story for this one. My editor is very busy just now, i'm not sure if he is going to have time to edit it for me, so I guess I'm going to need to find another one.

So I wondered, does submitting a story very close to the close of play have any negative effects? I'm hoping not to but I might end up doing that.

thanks in advance

Not much effect as far as I've seen and I've done a couple of last minute entries in the past. Most of the views and votes come in the first few days it's up, and with a week or so between the competition entries closing and the final scoring, there's plenty of time for it to be read and get votes.

I love a twisted story...i mean a story with a twist

The twist this time was I forgot about this contest. I was thinking I had all the time in the world to write a story for the Nude Day contest. Ahhhh. No rush....July is a long way off.

My "Ahhh" turned to "Oh, crap!" i need something in March!!

Yeah, I have a half-finished Nude Day story (in fact I have two, one of which has been kicking around for a couple of years now) that I may or may not finish this year. But first things first!

I now have five false starts for April Fool entries.

I wonder if I can revise one originally written for Earth Day?

I now have five false starts for April Fool entries.

I wonder if I can revise one originally written for Earth Day?

The last line could read: What do you mean this isn't the Earth Day Contest?

Not much effect as far as I've seen and I've done a couple of last minute entries in the past. Most of the views and votes come in the first few days it's up, and with a week or so between the competition entries closing and the final scoring, there's plenty of time for it to be read and get votes.

There are even those in AH who maintain there is an advantage in scoring/vote average by entering contests at the last minute. I have entered early, late, and in the middle for contests, and not seeing a big effect from the timing at all.
The one exception would be in poorly attended categories like Humor that a late entry my make it tough to get to the 50 vote
total.

There are even those in AH who maintain there is an advantage in scoring/vote average by entering contests at the last minute. I have entered early, late, and in the middle for contests, and not seeing a big effect from the timing at all.
The one exception would be in poorly attended categories like Humor that a late entry my make it tough to get to the 50 vote
total.

Contest stories only need 25 votes to qualify.

total.

Contest stories only need 25 votes to qualify.

It WAS possibly true a decade ago. A late entry in a low-traffic category could attract few votes and the last sweep might have had a significant positive impact. But there was always the risk that the sweep could reduce the total number of votes to less than 25 making the story ineligible.

Now very few contest stories even in the most obscure category are likely to have so few votes by being entered late that the sweeps move the rating enough to go from below H to be in contention.

When I ran the Authors' Hangout Last Place (tm) Contests there were some stories that never reached 25 votes no matter whether submitted early or late. (Many of them were mine. :eek: )

But now there seems to be no advantage to be gained by submitting late and some of us have difficulty getting a story or stories finished by the last entry date.

Back