A Sweep?

It's not necessarily a question of being offended. There's also improving the species. Also, let's not forget the simple pleasures in life - revenge upon the trollish being high on the list. ;)

Oscar Wilde (if I should believe my Google...)

64445_616484885064145_471220926_n1.jpg

edit:
with one exception:
"The Troll Hunter" by SweetWitch

Nice meme, I hate hunters....these idiots go after animals with high powered rifles and think they're men. Go into the woods with just a knife and bring me back a bear and maybe I'll call you a hunter.

No, I'd still call you an asshole.

I'm not NEARLY as offended by my perceived trolls as you are. Maybe Manu and Laurel should post a link for hostility counseling.

Sorry to be so PC, but really.

LOL. Now me, I don't find trolls offensive, most of the time they're entertaining. Day to day trolls are a different category from what goes on around the competitions...

Now MY hostility counseling involves going to my Tae Kwon Do school and kicking the crap out of someone when we're sparring. Mind you, they usually give as good as they get... :eek: but it does relieve stress and hostility very effectively.

And, apparently, another just now. Big drop in the number of votes since this morning, big jump in score.

Chloe - cancel the 20mm garlic rounds and thanks anyway.

LOL. Now me, I don't find trolls offensive, most of the time they're entertaining. Day to day trolls are a different category from what goes on around the competitions...

Now MY hostility counseling involves going to my Tae Kwon Do school and kicking the crap out of someone when we're sparring. Mind you, they usually give as good as they get... :eek: but it does relieve stress and hostility very effectively.

Many people I work with or deal with in my dart and pool leagues have no idea how many times they've been put in place of whatever kid I'm teaching at the time or even the bag I have in my basement.

Drops opponent with spinning back punch. "That's what I think of your fucking memo, Carl!"

But I think that's what trolling is for a lot of these loons. Its catharsis and a safe anonymous way to spew the hate they wish they could unload on whoever it is in their life that made them such petty little fruit loops.

Reading through this makes me realize that since I haven't put up a story in about a year I haven't seen much trolling. They tend to not bother with older stories.

I wonder...do they miss me?

Then I think do I miss them?

Answer is most likely the same to both.

I am debating a Nude day entry that involves unfaithful wives so I could get a years worth just from that I imagine.

And, apparently, another just now. Big drop in the number of votes since this morning, big jump in score.

Chloe - cancel the 20mm garlic rounds and thanks anyway.

It's a roller-coaster ride! This post made me go over and take a look. I don't have a clue what's going on! I think I'll just sit back and see what happens. :eek:

It's a roller-coaster ride! This post made me go over and take a look. I don't have a clue what's going on! I think I'll just sit back and see what happens. :eek:

This is still just preliminary. The final sweep will be tonight after voting closes and before the results are announced. The final sweep can be a doozy.

Reading through this makes me realize that since I haven't put up a story in about a year I haven't seen much trolling. They tend to not bother with older stories.

I wonder...do they miss me?

Then I think do I miss them?

Answer is most likely the same to both.

I am debating a Nude day entry that involves unfaithful wives so I could get a years worth just from that I imagine.

At the end, have the unfaithful wife win the lottery, just after her husband's 'punished' her by pushing her out the door and serving her divorce papers. Then write an epilogue where she heads off to the tropics with a man ten years her junior, who spends his days tending to her every whim, coating her with coconut oil during the day while she sunbathes, and licking it off at night.

At the end, have the unfaithful wife win the lottery, just after her husband's 'punished' her by pushing her out the door and serving her divorce papers. Then write an epilogue where she heads off to the tropics with a man ten years her junior, who spends his days tending to her every whim, coating her with coconut oil during the day while she sunbathes, and licking it off at night.

My story and tag

"Gloryhole housewives"

'Revenge has never tasted so sweet'

It'll do the trick. :D

This is still just preliminary. The final sweep will be tonight after voting closes and before the results are announced. The final sweep can be a doozy.

It was. My entry went from a contest pummeling low of 4.24 up to 4.74, which is a very pleasing result, given it's not a mainstream story, not by any definition of the word 'normal'.

edit: duh. Correcting the scores.

Last edited:
It was. My entry went from a contest pummeling low of 5.24 up to 5.74, which is a very pleasing result, given it's not a mainstream story, not by any definition of the word 'normal'.

5.74 would truly be an impressive score. Impossibly impressive, actually, but it is a fantasy story, after all.

On a more serious note, that story deserves its higher score. I'm surprised your story was trolled; it doesn't seem like the type. Maybe trolls have an aversion to mermaids? Whatever. I'm glad to see it got bumped up.

5.74 would truly be an impressive score. Impossibly impressive, actually, but it is a fantasy story, after all.

On a more serious note, that story deserves its higher score. I'm surprised your story was trolled; it doesn't seem like the type. Maybe trolls have an aversion to mermaids? Whatever. I'm glad to see it got bumped up.

Oops - you know what I meant. 4.74.

My take is that the Sci-Fi/Fantasy readers coped with the story's strangeness okay, because they're used to, and expect, 'strange'. As evidence, it just brushed Red H while it was still on the Category first page, where it picked up its first several thou views. Then it had the contest duration to feed readers in from outside the Category, many of whom I'm guessing 'didn't get it, I don't like it, it's too strange, therefore I'll low-ball it' - regardless of writing merit. It's those scores the big sweep has purged, which is why it's jumped high post contest close.

Thanks, btw, for your serious words.

Oops - you know what I meant. 4.74.

My take is that the Sci-Fi/Fantasy readers coped with the story's strangeness okay, because they're used to, and expect, 'strange'. As evidence, it just brushed Red H while it was still on the Category first page, where it picked up its first several thou views. Then it had the contest duration to feed readers in from outside the Category, many of whom I'm guessing 'didn't get it, I don't like it, it's too strange, therefore I'll low-ball it' - regardless of writing merit. It's those scores the big sweep has purged, which is why it's jumped high post contest close.

Thanks, btw, for your serious words.

Look at you, and your sly back-editing. /lol

We knew what you meant. Actually, just the 'few thousands reads' would be an accomplishment for my sci-fi attempt. Never mind aiming for a 5.74. :D

For the past two or three weeks – maybe more – I have been ‘keeping an eye’ on the ratings for my new stories. I know that I shouldn’t. But there you are. And here is what I have learned.

First, try to never be on the front page with the other new stories. Yes, I know that’s where you tend to get the most hits. But it’s also where the trolls live. Day One: 4.85. Day Two: 3.67. And then, along comes the ‘sweep’ and at least you get your Red H back. (I also know that avoiding the front page is impossible.)

Second, competitions are a troll magnets. And maybe the trolls aren’t just trolls. I have no evidence to say that they are or aren’t, but …. Hey, I think that you know what I mean.

Third, if your story didn’t fare well in the initial ambush, don’t fret: it probably has nothing to do with the quality of your writing. We have all read stories here that are beautifully written and struggle to get out of the threes. We have also tried to read crap that has magically been awarded 4.80.

I shall now retreat into my corner and wait for the trolls to do their worst. I'll give you an update tomorrow. :)

Nice meme, I hate hunters....these idiots go after animals with high powered rifles and think they're men. Go into the woods with just a knife and bring me back a bear and maybe I'll call you a hunter.

No, I'd still call you an asshole.

Probably a dead asshole.

I was curious to see how my stats changed over time and have been tracking the numbers in an excel-sheet for a week (an average 500 views, 10 votes and 0 comments per day in total for all 21 submissions in case somebody wonders).
Over the last three days, there seem to have been several sweeps (April's fool contest preparations?), resulting in my latest story losing almost 7% of all votes cast (down from 1750 votes on all 6 chapters down to 1630) :eek:

Surprisingly, this resulted in the average rating dropping by a whopping 0.01 :eek:

Looks as if I have been 5-bombed :confused: (It definitely wasn't me. I cast one vote after publishing to get it off to a good start and that's it)

PS: Not complaining about the sweep or the result. Just confused...

PS: Not complaining about the sweep or the result. Just confused...

There were sweeps for the April Fools contest. They went on a little oddly. I think they started on the 27th and continued into the 28th. Normally the last sweeps happen in the middle of the night (my time) so I don't get to see them happen. This time it happened during the day.

I saw very little effect from the sweeps; one vote removed from each of three or four stories. One score changed by 0.01, the others remained unchanged.

Clearly the sweeps do not remove just 1* votes. I've had more 5* votes removed than 1* votes on at least one story.

Depending on the method you use to calculate the vote, you can get spurious results if you have a change in the number of votes (up or down) but no change in the score. I have an older story I've tracked changes on for a while. It has too many votes for the score to change much and all of the transactions appear to be new 5* votes, or 5* votes swept. That is unlikely to be correct.

I've had votes removed that had been there for several months (I don't get many votes for old stories)

One possibility for that is the monthly awards. Those have always been behind, and every story released in that month gets swept before the winner announcement is made.

Otherwise, it's probably shrapnel from another sweep. My suspicion has always been that it's someone who has exhibited a pattern of bad behavior, and once it reaches a certain threshold, they get black-balled, and all their votes wiped out.

If they happened to like your story, you take the frag damage for their bad behavior elsewhere.

I've had votes removed that had been there for several months (I don't get many votes for old stories)

The whole story file gets swept during contests, regardless whether you have an entry in the contest or not. So if there's a recent one-bomb on an old story that satisfies the sweep criteria, it will go. I've been writing for three years or so now, and every now and then I spot a back-file adjustment.

Back